• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comprehensive list of PS4 feature announcements at GDC

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I charged my PS3 controllers without the PS3 being on all the time. It was like a $4 Nyko dual charger. Why is this a big deal?

I have to admit it though, Sony is banging on all cylinders. They killed it at PAX East, practically EVERY indie booth I went to, Sony reps were already there and expressed interest.

I'm usually a day 1 buyer. I was planning on skipping the PS4 initially, but depending on price, I may scoop it up.

Having said all that, I still prefer the 360 controller WAY over the DS3. Though for the most part, the DS4 looks like they fixed most of the issues. Funniest thing maybe that Nvidia's Shield is the most comfortable DS-type controller I've ever used.

cofxLAU.gif

Price is also a maybe day 1 purchase for me too

Phawx

Ah, thank you kind sir. Any idea about the camera since it is not looking to be as complicated as Kinect 2?

I ask since I am wondering just how much bandwidth would be left for GPU at the end of the day given CPU is supposed to use <20GB/sec which would leave the GPU with 156GB/sec. The AMD Pitcairn retail card was designed around the bandwidth of 153.6GB/sec so I hope at the end of day when all parts are working in concert (audio, cpu computation tasks, controller input, camera input and GPU processing) Liverpool has around 153GB/sec bandwidth available to it.

The camera takes next to nothing in terms of bandwidth. First it's pretty far removed from any important interconnect CPU<>MEM>GPU. It's not going to impact it at all.

You can just do the simple math. 1280x800x12(bits/pixel)x60(fps)/8(bits to bytes)/1024(to get kilobyte)= 90,000 kB or 90Megabytes.

Orayn

Happens daily.

I think Retro_ was questioning whether or not the PS4 was aimed at "core gamers" if accidental Netflix rewind/fast forward was the example they have of why the old R2/L2 were bad. Really, they should have have said "accidental heavy attack/parry in Demon's/Dark Souls."

i-Lo

Can someone explain the following parts to me, please?

• PS4 build around them, salable to the outsiders

Does this mean while Sony are focusing on "core" demographic it will be made appealing to "casual" crowd as well? If so isn't that the hope of every console manufacturer, i.e. PR talk?

• PlayStation Shader Language, very similar to HLSL, allows featured BEYOND Direct X 11 and OpenGL 4.0

Does this mean it's equivalent to XB3's rumoured Direct X 11.x, i.e. not restricted to DX11?

• PS4 controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3

I assume that this pertains to face buttons. What does being "analog" entail on DS3? Does it have anything to do with the buttons being pressure sensitive (something that MGS always took great advantage of)?

• PS4 Mock-up: Heavy Rain choice with the number of your friends that chose each option.

Haven't played HS yet so I'm totally lost as to the implication of that statement.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

The camera takes next to nothing in terms of bandwidth. First it's pretty far removed from any important interconnect CPU<>MEM>GPU. It's not going to impact it at all.

You can just do the simple math. 1280x800x12(bits/pixel)x60(fps)/8(bits to bytes)/1024(to get kilobyte)= 90,000 kB or 90Megabytes.

Yes, I can do that math now. Thank you so much for breaking it up.

LtOrange

I can't wait till E3! If Sony doesn't charge for online play I am there day 1. It looks like they are doing everything right.

SkyOdin

I'm somewhat disappointed by the switch to digital buttons over analog. Analog button inputs have always had a lot of unrealized gameplay potential. It is sad that ZOE 2 is the only game to do them justice. It feels like no one has even tried to do anything with them since.

daveo42

Banned
A lot of it is seemingly down on an OS level, so the developers wouldn't be required to do any extra work.

This is the beauty of it, Sony have leapfrogged the developers and decided to offer features that were developer dependent this gen to everyone via an OS/hardware solution. It's a brilliant move, now they just have to make the camera mandatory and we're all set.

It's a fantastic solution, but based on how close Sony worked with developers on the PS4 they went on the devs opinion that there would be choice in applying it. Probably not the smartest solution, but their design philosophy is based on dev-friendly and core gamer centered.

Dragon

Banned
Can someone explain the following parts to me, please?

I assume that this pertains to face buttons. What does being "analog" entail on DS3? Does it have anything to do with the buttons being pressure sensitive (something that MGS always took great advantage of)?

Digital = on/off
Analog = measures how much you press the button and has different actions accordingly (in baseball simulating a check swing)

Haven't played HS yet so I'm totally lost as to the implication of that statement.

It's like in the Mass Effect or Walking Dead games when you have to make a choice. You'll be able to see what your friends did in that situation. As long as there's a spoiler view I think it's pretty cool.

It should be pretty cheap to make compare to ps3. The whole console is based on 1 chip that can be made by a lot of companies. For the cell sony had to build a plant just to produce the chip that cost them $1.6 billion. Nothing like that needs to be made for ps4. Also no super expensive cutting edge bluray drive.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1041-997596.html

Should also generate much less heat compared to the launch ps3. Cheaper cooling, smaller case, etc.

Orayn

Jeepers, how is this thing not going to be $599?

The GDDR5 is probably the most expensive thing in the box. Most of it is closely based on off the shelf, readily available parts, with nothing even remotely comparable to the PS3's Cell, XDR RAM, and a Blu-ray drive in 2006.

Toki767

Was this article written by someone whose primary language isn't english?

It was probably done through an iPhone or another smartphone on Twitter so there are probably strange auto-corrections and such that makes it sound like they don't know English.

So Visual Studio integration. What, if anything, does this mean for mods? Does it even apply to mods?

Is this like modding games on PC?

No, this has nothing to do with mods. This is how games are developed. So here's a quick development lesson.

You can write code in just about anything; a basic text editor if you want. You use a compiler to take that code and it outputs more or less your game. Some people still do it this way, but for many, they like to use something called an Integrated Development Environment or IDE for short to do their programming in. It typically has the text editor, the compiler, a debugger, and other stuff all tied into one program that makes it easier to write, run, and debug code. Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs out there. Sony used to use a different IDE that was similar to Visual Studio, but not as good (although you could still write your code, compile and launch it from VS through some configuration, you still had to use other stuff for debugging and what not). All this is really saying is Sony is now using Visual Studio as their main IDE for developers to use to write games and you can use all the advantages that come with Visual Studio.

scently

This is one of the more interesting quotes. Really would like to learn what they're alluding to.

It simply means that while the coding PS4 is similar to using HLSL (dx11), it is not restricted to the featureset of either dx11 or openGL4.0. That is, every feature of the PS4 will be available for the developer to use. You need to understand that DX11 is a featureset that nvidia and AMD must support, but most often these cards have functions that are not supported by DX11 so are not visible to the developer. Most times these hardware manufacturers have extra functions on their cards, eg. tesselation in AMD's cards before it included in dx11, and PRT in their current card which are not supported under dx11. If devs want to use these features, the hardware manufacturer and the dev has to provide native support for it.

What this means for the PS4 is that, while the development environment is similar to dx11, all the extensions, customization, modifications and whatnot specific to the PS4 will be visible to the developers for use. The main difference with this compared to the ps3 is the coding environment is similar to DX11 HLSL and thus will make porting to and from pc much more easier for devs.

Binabik15

Jeepers, how is this thing not going to be $599?

The gpu and cpu are much smaller than the PS3's innards, so less silicone, less heat in comparison, so no outlandishly expensive cooling needed, less power so smaller PSU, I guess. Hope the yields are good.

And why it won't be 599$? Because Cerny is the [striker]prince[/s] lead engineer that was promised.

i-Lo

Digital = on/off
Analog = measures how much you press the button and has different actions accordingly (in baseball simulating a check swing)

It's like in the Mass Effect or Walking Dead games when you have to make a choice. You'll be able to see what your friends did in that situation. As long as there's a spoiler view I think it's pretty cool.

Ah thanks but I am still a bit confused since it said, "PS4 mock up". I thought they were talking about the physical box or something. But if I understand you correctly it has to do with uploaded videos for help which uses the "share" function.

Am I anyone close to being correct?

Once again, thanks.

Veezy

que?
Fear, hunger, humility get mixed up in a pot.
Sprinkle a little Kaz Hirai on top,
what the fuck do you got?
You the illest and realest console all up in this spot.
The juggernaut of this next gen, like it or not.

So hyped.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can't wait to hear no one bitch about lack of analog.

It has analog triggers. You are referring to the people bitching about the WiiU not having analog triggers right? I don't see your point.

I'm surprised if the average gamer even knew the Dualshock had analog face buttons in the first place.

You know what?

Fuck it.

I'm going all out when I buy this baby day one.

Purchasing four games, accessories, the High end model, getting PSN+.

Sony, you've come a looong way and this genuine show of change and fixing your fuck ups has made me a believer again.

Shut up and take my money indeed.

synce

I've yet to read a single thing that doesn't make me believe this will be the best home console since PS2. Excellent specs and OS, and great indie support just in case there's almost nothing but shooters next-gen.

Anyone else confused by this?

Was that pressure sensitive face-buttons or something? I'm a little uneducated in the difference between digital and analog for buttons.

No, they're just saying you can use it to flash as an indicator of something. So muzzle flashes, you flash it while you fire, or health bars would mean a rapid flash if you're low on health.

Azure J

This console sounds so well realized and grounded in approachable modern design for everyone involved. E3 is going to be a blast.

Sony seems to be doing everything right, seems too good to be true. Wonder where they'll drop the ball. Price? Hardware/software/network issues at launch? Key launch window games getting delayed?

holy crap; went from Ps2 - Ps3 and now will be ps4.

i thought i was ganna wait couple months/year but.... it may as well be day one.

Dragon

Banned
Ah thanks but I am still a bit confused since it said, "PS4 mock up". I thought they were talking about the physical box or something. But if I understand you correctly it has to do with uploaded videos for help which uses the "share" function.

Am I anyone close to being correct?

Once again, thanks.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I think we're talking about different things. The choices things refer to what your friends did in the game. Something like:

Spoiler for Walking Dead Episode 1:

http://i.imgur.com/zROv6AS.png

And why it won't be 599$? Because Cerny is the [striker]prince[/s] lead engineer that was promised.
This guy really did such an incredible job. He designed it thinking like a game developer... because he is one... that's the difference between ps3/ps4. It's going to be so much easier for devs to make games for it. Both ps4 and 720 will be a breeze to work with which is why i think the dev costs aren't going to skyrocket like people think. They'll go up but less than expected due to how dev-friendly these consoles are going to be.

Top Bottom