• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 for Wii.

Sanic

I kind of enjoyed the first Conduit for what it was, but like it seems everyone else I had no idea this was coming out in under a week. May try it out eventually.

rpmurphy

Hiltz said:
Do we know if High Voltage Software made any physical changes to the returning maps or are they the same ?
Hopefully not being able to glitch out of the map, for one.

Kinda dislike the darker colors for new Streets, but I guess it makes sense for the tones of the new game.

Hiltz

GamePro Germany gave Conduit 2 a 85% review score.

The Conduit: 83
Kirby's Epic Yarn: 85
de Blob 2: 73
Mario Sports Mix: 72
Epic Mickey: 88
GoldenEye 007: 85
PlayStation Move Heroes: 63
Crysis 2: 88
HomeFront: 83
Dragon Age 2: 87
Pokemon Black & White: 89

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hiltz said:
GamePro Germany gave Conduit 2 a 85% review score.

The Conduit: 83
Kirby's Epic Yarn: 85
de Blob 2: 73
Mario Sports Mix: 72
Epic Mickey: 88
GoldenEye 007: 85
PlayStation Move Heroes: 63
Crysis 2: 88
HomeFront: 83
Dragon Age 2: 87
Pokemon Black & White: 89

same as GE? cool and are they are fair in ratings etc?

IE IGN can hype stuff
EDGE is usually harsh etc

if you get my drift

Hiltz

There's another review up, this time from The Observer. Unfortunately, it's very brief and there's no details or review score given.

It basically says that the game lacks sophistication but makes up for with intense gameplay and satisfying weapons. It features a substantial campaign mode with extra missions and secrets. The multiplayer mode is said to be a case of quantity vs. quality at times, but the "fast-paced action is rarely less than entertaining."

It's a more accomplished shooter than the original game. However, it most likely benefits from lowered expectations this time around.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/17/conduit-2-michael-ford-review

I'm going to give the first one a try tomorrow for the first time, I have always been wanting to give it sometime especially with the sequel on the way. How are the controls? Aside from Prime 3 I have never played a FPS on the Wii.

Doorman

Square Triangle said:
I'm going to give the first one a try tomorrow for the first time, I have always been wanting to give it sometime especially with the sequel on the way. How are the controls? Aside from Prime 3 I have never played a FPS on the Wii.
The controls are as good as you choose them to be. Just about everything is customizable so as long as you take a little bit of time to tweak things to your comfort level, control won't be a problem at all.

scitek

Square Triangle said:

They are fucking awful if you like bad controls.

Boney

Banned
Square Triangle said:
I advice you not to do it.

scitek

EmmanuelMunoz said:
It is worth a try at least. But if it is just a wii fps you are looking for, you can't go wrong with Goldeneye

The pointer controls in Goldeneye are pretty bad. Play that one with a classic controller.

Effect

Boney said:
I advice you not to do it.

There's nothing actually bad about Conduit 1. It's just not a "great" game or at the level it was hyped at. Nowhere near it. It's overall a good game for the most part. There isn't anything broken in it. The area design is basic but then again so are a a LOT of current FPS. They just hide it better in various ways. I don't think one could do wrong by playing it if they're interested in it.

scitek said:
The pointer controls in Goldeneye are pretty bad. Play that one with a classic controller.

Pointer controls in GoldenEye are fine. People need to actually customize them to their liking if the default settings aren't working for them. It's right there in the instructions and in the options.

NewFresh

scitek said:

I just ordered a classic controller pro the other day so that I could go back to it. I played through Wiimote/nunchuck style and did not find the pointer controls annoying at all. I am curious to see how the Conduit 2 takes advantage of the motion+ to help the pointer controlls

Hiltz

The only issue I had with The Conduit's controls was that using the SCAR's scope bouncing would screw up my aiming. However, the other weapons with zoom function were fine.

I really enjoyed GoldenEye's single player mode. However, the oversensitive IR pointer did its best to ruin the experience. It just always felt off despite constant attempts to tweak it in the customization settings. I searched the internet for what seemed like more than an hour or two to find recommended control schemes but inone of them were good enough. Tried switching to the classic controller but it was too sluggish. Still wasn't that found of Call of Duty's ASD feature either.

I'll probably pick this up tomorrow after class, I enjoyed the first installment. Hopefully other gaffers will post their impressions tomorrow. The hype seems almost nonexistent though, ha!

Yeah, they were really behind the first one but I think that was mostly Matt Casssamicanablagja and I think he doesn't review Wii games anymore, right? However, you'd think they'd have a review up on a Monday notwithstanding.

Well, mine's in transit. Guess I find out how it is today.

Lloyd Dobler said:
Yeah, they were really behind the first one but I think that was mostly Matt Casssamicanablagja and I think he doesn't review Wii games anymore, right?
Kind of hard to review games for a website you don't work for anymore.

HeySeuss

Wtf at the trolls shitting on the controls? Pointer controls that are done right are arguably better than dual analog controls. And the first game paved the way for how good fps controls for the Wii could be.

Shit on the art, shit on the generic character models, shit on the average at best AI, but controls are the last place you should troll.

Hiltz

Leondexter said:
Bite your tongue, sir! The pointer controls in Goldeneye are ace. There is no game with better.

I would have to go with Red Steel 2. The handgun is just that good. With that said, sniping in GoldenEye was probably the most satisfying in any FPS I have played this gen.

Shick Brithouse said:
Wtf at the trolls shitting on the controls? Pointer controls that are done right are arguably better than dual analog controls. And the first game paved the way for how good fps controls for the Wii could be.

Shit on the art, shit on the generic character models, shit on the average at best AI, but controls are the last place you should troll.

Well said. The only thing bad about pointer controls is that it can take a frustrating amount of setting-->playing-->re-setting before you find what feels good for you. It's especially terrible if the menu path to the settings screen is several layers in. And The Conduit got that right - you're allowed to play-test from the settings screens.

Pointer controls > all. And I will give HVS all the credit in the world for figuring out that customization is key. I got the first Conduit and fell in love with the controls after fine-tuning them like a vintage automobile.

The problem is that once Treyarch essentially took The Conduit's controls and put them into a better game, I'm hard pressed to go back to The Conduit's comparatively simple gameplay.

Hiltz

Playr gave it a 8/10.

Unlike the original, I won't be buying this game because I feel obligated to. I want to play a good game. Will wait for more reviews to come in before making a final decision.

Effect

Hiltz said:
Playr gave it a 8/10.

Unlike the original, I won't be buying this game because I feel obligated to. I want to play a good game. Will wait for more reviews to come in before making a final decision.

I kinda fell into that area with the first Conduit. Was around that time I bought a few other games. To "support third parties". It was during that whole test game phase. Luckily I liked Conduit 1 so I kept it when I did a mini-purge of 3rd party Wii games. However I'm sort of tired with online play in FPS. I do want to see how the rest of the story continues. Then again I'm the kind of guy that gets more enjoyment out of the lore and storylines in a MMORPG then actually playing it.

Nintendo Power's score is decent enough for me. I don't mind playings in 7s if they interest me. As long as controls aren't broken. Enjoyment of content is subjective.I usually don't let reviews decide for me but my taste usually sync up pretty well with them which is why I read them.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I can't believe they released this game the SAME day as Mortal Kombat, Socom 4, and Portal 2.

Any multi-console owner going to buy a game today is going to completely overlook The Conduit 2. I know that most of the purchases of TC2 are going to come from Wii-only owners in the first place, but still..... seems like a stupid decision.

Red Steel 2 all over again.

The only good reason I can think of for releasing this game today is they can save on shipping by sending them out with all the games people actually will buy.

Skiesofwonder said:
I can't believe they released this game the SAME day as Mortal Kombat, Socom 4, and Portal 2.

Any multi-console owner going to buy a game today is going to completely overlook The Conduit 2. I know that most of the purchases of TC2 are going to come from Wii-only owners in the first place, but still..... seems like a stupid decision.

Red Steel 2 all over again.

game will bomb either way, there are just too much better shooters available on the market.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
Playr gave it a 8/10.

There's a video review out there too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOlmQ2FqVAg

Despite its flaws I still enjoyed Conduit for its weapons and it's the reason why I'll go back to Conduit 2 (when I pick it up on Friday).

Hiltz

Many Wii owners ignored picking up Conduit 1 when there was no other exclusive FPS around that wasn't a port. Sega even gave the first game a tv commercial. The sequel will be very lucky to sell as many copies as the first.

I think hardcore Wii gamers would rather suffer through a big game drought and not buy anything until the release of the next big first-party game. 360 and PS3 owners are not going to support this game when there's always another batch of other shooters already released and more on the way.

PounchEnvy said:
There's a video review out there too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOlmQ2FqVAg

Despite its flaws I still enjoyed Conduit for its weapons and it's the reason why I'll go back to Conduit 2 (when I pick it up on Friday).

"video not availanble in your country"
waahhh, youtube is some bullshitteria nowadays. smh

anyway, will pick it up asap as well. I loved the original one

edit:
holy shit. just watched some parts of the 1 hour video. the effects are amazing. badass engine there

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Heart Attack said:
game will bomb either way, there are just too much better shooters available on the market.

I'm not 100% sure of that. The first one sold rather well, and while I do think the sequel would have seen a rather large drop in sales due to the lack of quality of the first Conduit (like Red Steel and Red Steel 2), I do think it could of still peaked the interest of a number of gamers IF released in a dry period. But with the release date of today, High Voltage is surely preparing it for bomba-like sales.

Honestly though if High Voltage ever wanted to see a growth in sales for the series, they should of waited to release it as a launch title for Wii 2, making The Conduit 2 a graphical showcase for the system.

Poyunch

To be fair the Conduit fanbase is pretty dedicated. I bet Sega and HVS think they're enough to make the game profitable.

Top Bottom