• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: COD:IW & MWR - no crossplay support between Win10 Store and rest of PC

bee

at this point you don't even have to take the piss out of the windows store or try to make people avoid it, they do it all themselves

Trup1aya

Can you even have crossplay between a Steamworks game and a W10 UWP game?

Yes.

Cross-Network Play

First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players.

Microsoft have chosen to sell a (what I would consider) defective product on their store. Not that it has stopped them in the past (Forza Horizon 3) and even if the games don't have problems you can't download them, or you end up downloading them multiple times either because of failed downloads or patches that require it.

I hope this store dies a quick death to be honest.

As for Activision, what else can be said that hasn't already?

MUnited83

For you.
This is nothing to do with defending W10. Activision has chosen not to support crossplay.

MS should have paid more if they wanted crossplay. Devs/pubs are not going to spend a lot of money and work on making a crossplay solution of their own for a version that would have sold like absolute shit either way.

Alucrid

Banned
who would actually buy a game on the W10 store that's also available elsewhere (especially a platform like steam) and isn't part of the play anywhere program?

MS should have paid more if they wanted crossplay. Devs/pubs are not going to spend a lot of money and work on making a crossplay solution of their own for a version that would have sold like absolute shit either way.

I asume Sony's deal with Activision prevented that. But who knows, doesn't change the fact that the few people who didn't read the fine print and buy the Win10 store edition are screwed.

Trup1aya

Not without asterisks.

The asterisk being that your Win10 version has to support Xbox live... which is inherently true for this game

Did MS pay for this release?

If MS bought this, The better argument would be that MS shouldn't have bothered at all if crossplay wasn't in the cards. THAT'S the only thing that would have made anyone even consider this version.

Jotaka

ukISolP.gif

Chobel

The asterisk being that your Win10 version has to support Xbox live... which is inherently true for this game

The better argument would be that MS shouldn't have bothered at all if they didn't have care about crossplay. THAT'S the only thing that would have made anyone even consider this version.

Of course it did (in some form). No one is gonna release on Windows 10 Store, unless they were incentivized by MS.

MUnited83

For you.
I asume Sony's deal with Activision prevented that. But who knows, doesn't change the fact that the few people who didn't read the fine print and buy the Win10 store edition are screwed.
Sony deal that prevents cross-play between the same platform on different stores? I don't think such a deal exists.

The better argument would be that MS shouldn't have bothered at all if they didn't have care about crossplay. THAT'S the only thing that would have made anyone even consider this version.

Oh, MS definitely paid for this release. There's no reason to publish a game on W10 store if MS isn't paying you handily for doing so.

Frostburn

Lol as if the PC community for COD wasn't already super small compared to earlier COD titles developed for PC first with dedicated servers, now they are going to splinter an already small community in 2 PLUS still charge for new maps. Amazing!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Oh, MS definitely paid for this release. There's no reason to publish a game on W10 store if MS isn't paying you handily for doing so.
I can tell you that they certainly don't do it because they love the submission process for the Win10 store.

Expect the Win10 version to significantly lack behind in patches as well.
(inb4 "on what basis does he claim this?")

what a crazy time to be alive. COD on PC getting multiple store releases all incompatible with each other.

I really have to wonder what the heck Microsoft was thinking when they paid to get this port, just makes them look so much worse than not having it.

nynt9

This is just too stupid not to laugh at, what the hell were they thinking.

Windows store continues to be an absolute dumpster fire.

Chobel

I can tell you that they certainly don't do it because they love the submission process for the Win10 store.

Expect the Win10 version to lack behind in patches as well.
(inb4 "on what basis does he claim this?")

That leaked Destiny contract is sure something, or this just you being "concerned"?

What if multiplayer on the Windows 10 Store version is extreme easymode because the only ones buying it are young children with parents' credit cards and don't know better? Maybe it'll be the extreme egoboost edition.

I mean, I guess it's more likely to be the completely dead server version, but still.

Trup1aya

Of course it did (in some form). No one is gonna release on Windows 10 Store, unless they were incentivized by MS.

It makes sense to suspect that MS paid. I was wondering if there was any confirmation.

Just as logical as it is to assume MS paid to get Activision to publish this version, It would be logical to assume that crossplay would be a requirement of any such monetary agreement.

My Point is, this situation defies all logic, so I'm not willing to assume anything. Who spends boatloads of $ to land a title that only 15 people will purchase, mostly by accident, then immediately regret regardless of how good the port is.

Aren't all the COD games on Steam post COD4 entirely reliant on Steamworks? Why were people doubting that the Win10 Store version was separated?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aren't all the COD games on Steam post COD4 entirely reliant on Steamworks? Why were people doubting that the Win10 Store version was separated?

Because it is. It's not gonna use Steamworks for the UWP version. The Steam version (like the others) will. The communities will be separated.

Top Bottom