• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed : Fifa 14 will be free with all xbox one pre orders (Europe only)

Add this to the OP
While stock lasts

oI3wUem.png

Lol,

Have you seen FIFA 14?

Better be quick, before stocks run out!!!

rvy

Banned
Not really, 2 hours ago I was leaning towards a ps4, right now I'm 100% in for the X1, I think you're underestimating just how popular FIFA is in Europe. The ultimate legends is something the community has been waiting on for years.

I think you're overestimating how dumb people really are. Nobody is about to pay more for a console when they can get the same exact thing on the brand that they've always been playing in for less money.
UK is like crazy country, but that's just the UK. Nobody else will give a shit. The Xbox dominates nowhere else, and so far they haven't been doing well in the UK with the Xbox One either.

Not really, 2 hours ago I was leaning towards a ps4, right now I'm 100% in for the X1, I think you're underestimating just how popular FIFA is in Europe. The ultimate legends is something the community has been waiting on for years.

There is still no reason to spend more money on a weaker console, nothing has changed regarding that.

Fergie

Banned
megaton?

kiloton perhaps?
Unknownton. This is a great incentive, possibly could help increase the total Xbox one preorders, but lets wait and see.

I guess it does help MS, that current gen FIFA 14 and 'next-gen' FIFA 14 are compatible in the sense that you can transfer all your FUT and stuff over, that is if anyone buys FIFA on current-gen when next-gen is around the corner.

Xbox One preorders mustn't have been very good.

Nosgoroth

Preorders only? Eh, this needed to be a FIFA console box on display in stores for the casuals to see.

Impact more than halved.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's a nice gesture, but at the same time it smacks of desperation. You consider all the policy reversals in the past few weeks, and then this, and it screams to me that the Xone is really flailing in the pre-orders department. Plus a PS4 and a physical copy of Fifa 14 is still the cheaper option, so you have to wonder what good this will do.

MS can't win with some people.

I think you're underestimating how dumb people really are. Nobody is about to pay more for a console when they can get the same exact thing on the brand that they've always been playing in for less money.
UK is like crazy country, but that's just the UK. Nobody else will give a shit. The Xbox dominates nowhere else, and so far they haven't been doing well in the UK with the Xbox One either.

add the exclusive UT Legends mode and Kinect and I think people will have a hard time deiciding which one to get, just in case of doubt.

Abominuz

Banned

Im with you on this, but MS decided i wouldnt be able to play till 2014.
And i cant wait that long.
Whats the use of playing FIFA14 when you know as a european another FIFA will be revealed and released maybe 2 to 3 months after that.
Lets say the Xbox One release date is april 2014 then you will get to play FIFA 14.
When did EA reveal FIFA 14 ? exactly that was april 2013 so a new one probably around the same time., people will be hyped for a new FIFA.
And they will probably already bought FIFA 14 on the 360 or ps3 or ps4.

Here's the deal though. How long will FIFA 14 have been out on the older consoles by the time this next-gen version comes out? It's somewhere around mid September it actually releases I believe. Are the FIFA crowd really going to wait for it, and what are the advantages to the next-gen versions?

I think this is the smartest question to ask. Sports games are usually time sensitive. Getting a game two months after its release date isn't nearly as compelling.

Sandfox

I think you're overestimating how dumb people really are. Nobody is about to pay more for a console when they can get the same exact thing on the brand that they've always been playing in for less money.

I don't see how buying the cheaper console makes people dumb...

add the exclusive UT Legends mode and Kinect and I think people will have a hard time deiciding which one to get, just in case of doubt.

Is the Kinect popular in Europe or something?

Nice move by Microsoft even if it is pretty transparent to us ultra-hardcore people.

Not sure why they need to have 'while supplies last' though...

It's pretty awesome for branding purposes though. You know, if the only time FIFA14 next gen version is shown is with xbone logo and colors people will associate FIFA with Xbone, not ps4. It's not a killer move or anything, but it is good marketing.
At least in Germany FIFA is associated with PlayStation beyond reality. That link was strengthened so much year over year for the past decade and is pretty much burned in by now. Hell we even have a PlayStation cup here and while I was still in school many people interested in football were wearing a PlayStation lanyard.

All that is not going to change just because of some marketing deal.

Wasp

FIFA 14 seems like a bad game to show off the new hardware. No doubt it will just be a port of the current-gen version which itself is a very minor iteration of last year's game. Ryse or Dead Rising 3 would have been a far better choice.

Desperate tactics, MS. After dealing with MS's crap last gen, I still am not convinced this is worth me pre-ordering it. Now I know why Fifa looks like shit next gen, EA just ported EVERYTHING from last gen as they knew this game was going to be free on X1. I love Fifa but your Emperors New Clothes tactics dont fool me.

90% of the "new features" of this game are samey to last years. Underwhelmed by the E3 footage, atleast now I know why EA wasnt bothered to make it look better.

Bundy

Banned
At least in Germany FIFA is associated with PlayStation beyond reality. That link was strengthened so much year over year for the past decade and is pretty much burned in by now. Hell we even have a PlayStation cup here and while I was still in school many people interested in football were wearing a PlayStation lanyard.

This! FIFA is linked to PlayStation in most parts of europe

T.O.P

Banned
Nice move

I always liked some casuals between friends at home when i could, not so much to justify a purchase but this is just perfect lol

I don't see how buying the cheaper console makes people dumb...

Is the Kinect popular in Europe or something?

here in Spain it isn't much popular, MS is in third place always here so Kinect doesn't make a difference. but my point is, for 30€ aprox you get all the Kinect services

cebri.one

+1

The cultural impact of the Playstation brand is huge in Europe. I mean, last gen MS released a much cheaper console with much better games (at least the first 2-3 years) and PS3 completly crushed them in sales.

And btw, the impact of the measure is very limited. FIFA players won't jump into next gen until a couple of years have passed.

le.phat

What bullshit :D I'm also from Europe, and the first reactions i get through facebook and from work is "nice try MS". And i don't even live in a tier 2 country.

rvy

Banned
Just to give people an idea of the relative platform sales for FIFA in four of the Tier 1 countries:

Again, this just proves my point, this only matters in the UK. FIFA is huge in Europe, FIFA on Xbox is only huge in the UK. And not by much either.

Radec

Just to give people an idea of the relative platform sales for FIFA in four of the Tier 1 countries:

[/IMG]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/img/21l.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/img/23l.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/img/24l.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/img/22l.jpg[/IMG]

So MS is trying to hold firmly of that UK market huh..

QaaQer

Thanks for the interesting post. I really have no idea about the PS<->football link in Europe.

Abominuz

Banned
This wont make any difference.
The reason i bought a 360 was because it was first on the market.
I thin kit will be easy for many europeans in delayed countries.
The PS4 comes first, and they will be able to play FIFA on it first and not have to wait.
A lot of gamers are impatient, i for one to.
I dont want to wait till 2014 while all that gaming goodness flies by me.

I really think FIFA is a lousy game to be used, at least with the rebate deal for the original Xbox you had options, this time you're lumped with a game that you'll either love or have zero interest in with very little middle ground.

This wont make any difference.
The reason i bought a 360 was because it was first on the market.
I thin kit will be easy for many europeans in delayed countries.
The PS4 comes first, and they will be able to play FIFA on it first and not have to wait.
A lot of gamers are impatient, i for one to.
I dont want to wait till 2014 while all that gaming goodness flies by me.

You know, you can NOT buy anything an play it on the PS360.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This! FIFA is linked to PlayStation in most parts of europe

No one should get too comfortable.

However I do not think this will make Sony uncomfortable - unless the offer fails spectacularly, it will expire in pretty short order. Long before it could make an impact on the wider Fifa contingent.

This is about sealing preorders and increasing them to a point where retail can support a launch to a reasonable degree. Microsoft seems willing to shell out for licenses up to that point and no more. As it is it won't have influences beyond a limited pool of customers.

S¡mon;77312835 said:
Yep, it's huge. Also, let's not forget that Sony advertises during football matches when literally tens of millions of people are watching.

Champions League and WC :p.

BUT... did you watch the Man City game last night?
There were AD boards saying "Fifa 14 Xbox 360" rather than it say PS3 like last season.

tzare

Good for those who preordered, but this will be a limited thing, as most casuals willing for FIFA/COD i doubt will preorder any console ,XB or PS4 and just go to the store and try to buy it. and we don't even know how many XBO will be on sale at launch.
If PS4 launches earlier and FIFA is available for it, that would be where next gen fifa crowd may go.

Bundy

Banned

However I do not think this will make Sony uncomfortable - unless the offer fails spectacularly, it will expire in pretty short order. Long before it could make an impact on the wider Fifa contingent.

This is about sealing preorders and increasing them to a point where retail can support a launch to a reasonable degree. Microsoft seems willing to shell out for licenses up to that point and no more. As it is it won't have influences beyond a limited pool of customers.
We all knew that.
If the XBone is in trouble, MS will throw $$$ around.
So it was expected!

rvy

Banned

In this very specific case? I think it doesn't matter, really. Xbox is a non-factor throughout most of Europe. We don't get a decent marketplace, our consoles aren't properly translated and half of them don't work with 360 Kinect, there's no TV subscription models for most countries and so forth. Microsoft burn themselves without Sony needing to do anything.

Football games have always been associated with PlayStation in Europe, the perception isn't gonna change.

Champions League and WC :p.

BUT... did you watch the Man City game last night?
There were AD boards saying "Fifa 14 Xbox 360" rather than it say PS3 like last season.

FIFA is an official partner of City. Chelsea and Liverpool should have some too.
Well, plenty of clubs actually.

Good for consumers in EU I guess but that just confirmed the PS4 must outnumbered the Xbone so much that they have to use this desperate sales tactic.

Top Bottom