• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I have so rarely seen what you're describing. I have no idea why you think it's so frequent. It's mostly only happened in busy towns, never outside. It's pretty consistently 30fps.

From what you're describing it sounds to me like you played it mostly in handheld mode.

I have so rarely seen what you're describing. I have no idea why you think it's so frequent. It's mostly only happened in busy towns, never outside. It's pretty consistently 30fps.

The way BOTW runs on a handheld console is incredible, and I just don't know what you expect out of the hardware...
Lucky you. It happens to me at least once every 30 minutes or so, sometimes more often (every few minutes) depending on what area I'm in.

BOTW does not run well as an experience in docked mode. Nintendo should have reduced some effects to ensure stable frame rates. Instead it turns into a chugfest entirely too often for my tastes. Games are always developed for the hardware they are on. They missed the mark.

CazTGG

So...we all know that the Nintendo Switch is going to get a "New" model with a Tegra X2/X3/Whatever the latest Tegra chip is if it's affordable to mass produce sometime down the line, right?

Aroll

As someone who owns 2 shield's ($200 ea.) for video streaming and home automation... It pains me to buy an almost identical product for $300 that does less

Even with the same base tech, they do fundamentally different things. Obviously, the Shield itself is a plug in device and has all the PC/android like use cases that happens to be tailored more towards gaming. The Switch, meanwhile, has a screen, controllers, huge battery, etc etc etc. I mean, that's where the extra $100 comes in.

Obviously, there is a lot ot consider there in terms of value, but one aspect the Switch undoubtly might have an advantage in over a standard X1 Shield is the fact the Shield is a bit of an all in one device, versus a Switch, which currently is just for playing games. So, the OS and everything may be lighter, freeing up more resources for gaming purposes.

Dremorak

Banned
So...we all know that the Nintendo Switch is going to get a "New" model with a Tegra 2/3/Whatever the latest Tegra chip is if it's affordable to mass produce sometime down the line, right?

Well Nvidia sees this as a long term partnership so...yes?

Aroll

So...we all know that the Nintendo Switch is going to get a "New" model with a Tegra 2/3/Whatever the latest Tegra chip is if it's affordable to mass produce sometime down the line, right?

Obviously. The upgrade path for Switch 2/3/4 is there, very clearly. Can even see the Switch going the mobile phone route (or hell, I guess the Scorpio/Pro route). Every three years, here's the new model.

NimbusD

I feel like the same people upset about this are the Sam people upset that the switch didn't launch at or under 250. They want an impossible machine.

AmyS

Very cool post Amy S, another piece of the very interesting story that is the rise and fall of SGI, and it's affect on computer graphic titans of today.

On Topic: Do we actually have confirmation that there is NO customization on the X1 inside the Switch?

There's more here on the specific time frame that GameCube's GPU was designed.

Note: At the time of this interview, ATI had already bought ArtX.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/10/30/ati-discusses-gamecube-graphics

Greg Buchner:

I'm vice president of engineering, ATI.

IGNcube: You say you began talking to Nintendo® in 1998. So from white paper designs and initial design to final mass production silicon how long was the development process?

Greg Buchner:

Well, there was a period of time where we were in the brainstorm period, figuring out what to build, what's the right thing to create. We spent a reasonable amount of time on that, a really big chunk of 1998 was spend doing that, figuring out just what [Flipper] was going to be. In 1999 we pretty much cranked out the gates, cranked out the silicon and produced the first part. In 2000 we got it ready for production, so what you saw at Space World last year was basically what became final silicon.

In portable mode it kinda does
A Wii U game in portable mode is in no way impressive in 2017. Nintendo just has no competition anymore in the portable space so we lack a frame of reference to compare the hardware to. Many cell phones are much more powerful than the Switch but the issue is with the busget on cell phone games.

Branduil

A Wii U game in portable mode is in no way impressive in 2017. Nintendo just has no competition anymore in the portable space so we lack a frame of reference to compare the hardware to. Many cell phones are much more powerful than the Switch but the issue is with the busget on cell phone games.
A 200 GFlop handheld is absolutely impressive in 2017. I mean, if Sony made a Vita 2, do you think it would be significantly more powerful than that?

A 200 GFlop handheld is absolutely impressive in 2017. I mean, if Sony made a Vita 2, do you think it would be significantly more powerful than that?
Id say yes, that would be a safe bet in that alternate universe considering they released a 50 something GFlop handheld in 2011.

As someone who owns 2 shield's ($200 ea.) for video streaming and home automation... It pains me to buy an almost identical product for $300 that does less

Is it the Shield TV? If it is, fair enough. But also consider that you're getting exclusive softwarefor it. Also portable.

If it's the Shield Tablet, then it's far outpowered by the Switch. That CPU is a K1, 32-bit quad core.

Arc

So Nintendo got a deal on Nvidia's warehouse of extra Tegra X1's and slapped a $300 price tag on it.

Cool.

20cent

Banned
Nvidia won't give a shit about the shield line now that they actually have a client to continually supply Tegra chips to. Switch will probably have made more money for them in the next year than they've made on Shield altogether.

I think that already happened on release day of the Switch.

Id say yes, that would be a safe bet in that alternate universe considering they released a 50 something GFlop handheld in 2011.

Dear lord, what chip is significantly more powerful? The truth is that the only reason people are shitting on the Switch's graphics is because they aren't good for a home console. If this was purely marketed as a 3ds successor it would be seen in a much different light.

Tinúviel

Custom chip would be cool like 4x A57's + dual GPU 2x256 Cuda cores.Then again it would probably hit power limits.

w8fOoWE.gif

I never bought main Nintendo consoles except a DSi and a New 3DS Xl both for my cousins.

I'm itching to play Zelda but i won't buy a Switch just for that,before all this my dream about Switch was a console that can capable of playing AAA multiplatform games like proper FIFA on the go maybe CoD,Dirt games like Firewatch etc.I don't think it's impossible,not with Tegra X1 yes but i think something like dual X1 (not necessarly dual X1 but modern chip that can deliver at least a flops.)

720p - PC Low/Mid settings FIFA or CoD is not the most taxing gamesin the world.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tinúviel;232152928 said:
Custom chip would be cool like 4x A57's + dual GPU 2x256 Cuda cores.Then again it would probably hit power limits.

w8fOoWE.gif

I never bought main Nintendo consoles except a DSi and a New 3DS Xl both for my cousins.

I'm itching to play Zelda but i won't buy a Switch just for that,before all this my dream about Switch was a console that can capable of playing AAA multiplatform games like proper FIFA on the go maybe CoD,Dirt games like Firewatch etc.I don't think it's impossible,not with Tegra X1 yes but i think something like dual X1 (not necessarly dual X1 but modern chip that can deliver at least a flops.)

720p - PC Low/Mid settings FIFA or CoD is not the most taxing gamesin the world.

You wouldn't get 3rd party anyway, that experiment died with the Wii U. They don't sell, the audience for them is already elsewhere.

Switch is about Nintendo consolidating development behind one platform because they know they have to support it themselves. Other smaller 3rd party titles may follow, as well as exceptions like Monster Hunter, but this is a Nintendo platform built to do what Nintendo wants and sell it as something distinctive to the public.

And so far, issues with scratching and joycons aside, I think they've got it right.

Minsc

Gold Member
Try 1/3 of that number for Vita's real-world performance.

It's funny seeing people trying to reason a Vita as being only a bit behind the Switch. They're really, really far apart from my experiences (I own both). Vita was, and still is a nice portable, but next to the Switch, it just feels really dated (basically like a PSP next to the Vita I guess). Putting the Switch next to an iPhone 7 (or whatever is the fastest phone that costs 2.5x more than the Switch) doesn't have the same effect, the Switch doesn't feel dated at all, nor will it compared to next year's phones, or the year after. The way the switch makes it so simple to swap playing on portable and a TV/Monitor really brings something I feel no other portable has to the gaming experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom