• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: Xbox Live Silver Has Free Multi for PC-360 Games Until Fall

Shins

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Ugh. Look, if people want to treat it like it actually is appropriate to ascribe varying degrees of meaning to because of the context, as if that were legitimate, that's certainly their right. But fundamentally, those degrees and context do not exist, outside of some deluding themselves as to what that word actually means, and its consequences.
As if it were? It is! Its what is done. This is how it works!

Language doesn't exist in a vacuum. There isn't one right way to look at or apply it. :p

duk said:
make online gaming free

Thing is, even with pay service and no wi-fi function out of the box, 360 is still getting over half of their gamers using Live, which is comparable to PS3 and PSN. I'd love to see the service go free but do we really think they are feeling any pressure?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Thing is, even with pay service and no wi-fi function out of the box, 360 is still getting over half of their gamers using Live, which is comparable to PS3 and PSN. I'd love to see the service go free but do we really think they are feeling any pressure?

Sure they are.

The pressure of million of dollars breaking their front door in.

Shins said:
As if it were? It is! Its what is done. This is how it works!

Language doesn't exist in a vacuum. There isn't one right way to look at or apply it. :p

Sorry, but you don't turn on Sportscenter and hear someone talking about a point guard raping a basket. Just because a subsection of a minority of a minority thinks its okay to use the word "rape" to describe whatever they feel like, doesn't mean that the word's actual meaning has been fundamentally altered.

Obviously language doesn't exist in a vacuum and in fifty years, a president will probably give an address in which he says the economy is raping the middle class, just as one might say the economy is killing the middle class today.

But fifty years is a long ways away and right now, the reason people use it the way the use it is clearly with a fundamental recognition of the word's actual meaning. When people talk about MS raping the average consumer, they're fully aware that in this day in age, that word means to force someone to have sex against their will. It's why they use it. To try and draw that ridiculous and deeply offensive parallel. Otherwise, why else would it be used?

Everyone likes to dance around this fundamental truth, but if people weren't fully aware of the gravity of the word and the crime it describes, they'd just use another word.

Shins said:
Are we on SportsCenter?

No. Of course not. That's why people use it. I doubt they'd say the same thing standing in a modestly populated EB Games. I don't see how the context somehow changes the fundamental "rules" of usage or, more importantly, interpretation. The word only means one thing, fundamentally, and everyone knows it. That's "the joke".

Draft

:lol

Free online gaming, but just for a few months! Just a taste.

Another ultimate troll on gamers from the most evil company in the business. My goodness Microsoft.

nib95

Banned
Temporary free? Sounds more like a move to entice people to pay up for GOLD than a good gesture. Either way, hopefully one step closer to being free! :D

Come on Microsoft, make it happen!

Shins

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't see how the context somehow changes the fundamental "rules" of usage or, more importantly, interpretation
You don't? Context is amazingly important in dictating what will be considered okay usage! If I say I'm going to "murder someone" in an online match, should it not be taken into account where I'm saying that and to what it is I'm referring? Those modifiers can and do have a huge impact on how you interpret and react to what is stated. I certainly don't think anyone in Gears of War really thinks I've just declared that I literally want to take their lives.

You can easily argue that using the word "rape" in this context is unseemly and cheapens the physical act of rape. I agree! I don't do it myself! But it is legitimate. You can do it, and there is a precedent in language for it. Its certainly a very inflammatory example.

Slavik81

Microsoft: We accidentally made a small section of our online service good. We're working hard to correct the problem.

theBishop

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

They went to all that effort to make the system simple to use. You think they'd be limited by what Sony has been able to do for free?

theBishop said:
They went to all that effort to make the system simple to use. You think they'd be limited by what Sony has been able to do for free?

Don't think for a second Sony made PSN free for the consumers. When they rolled out the PS3 they had no online credibility and a service that was half of what it is now. Sony allows PSN to be free so that they can attract new users, but it sure most cost them.

theBishop

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
Don't think for a second Sony made PSN free for the consumers. When they rolled out the PS3 they had no online credibility and a service that was half of what it is now. Sony allows PSN to be free so that they can attract new users, but it sure most cost them.

you have a level of emotional investment that makes me uncomfortable.

Mrbob

Y2Kev said:
1. Lol, Microsoft, Jesus. It's three games. Make sure to point out that the poor sacks who own Shadowrun AND a silver account won't be able to play online in the fall.

2. They're really calling it the "new xbox experience" aren't they

Man the new dashboard setup sucks compared to what is offered now.

Different philosophy.

It is why you have never seen PC games charge for online play outside of MMOs.

Draft

Mrbob said:
They did, actually, in a darker, pre-Quake days.

But of course the PC gamer moved on. Evolved.

It's not inaccurate to refer to XBL pay to play peer to peer as like caveman tech compared to modern PC gaming online.

Mrbob said:

Different philosophy.

Not exactly I think a lot of developers and publishers know that PC gamers can and will get around "pay for" multiplayer, and so are not foolish enough to try. You can't get around Xbox Live.

Mrbob

Peer to peer online play on PSN costs sony nothing.

Like I said its different philosophy. You are trying to make something out of nothing.

It will be interesting to see how much longer MS will be able to charge for Live in its current form. Seems like we are reaching a point where the damn is about to burst. It is already starting with GFW Live going free.

Ten-Song

GenericPseudonym said:
Not exactly I think a lot of developers and publishers know that PC gamers can and will get around "pay for" multiplayer, and so are not foolish enough to try. You can't get around Xbox Live.

I found a great way to get around Xbox Live pay-to-play. I buy my third party games on PS3.

(That is, when I'm not playing TF2)

Mrbob

Ten-Song said:
I found a great way to get around Xbox Live pay-to-play. I buy my third party games on PS3.

It is a good idea. I am starting to do the same as well now that 3rd party games are basically the same on both systems.

One of the reasons GFW Live is going free on PC is because Steam is crushing it. As PS3 online gets more popular it will force MS to make a move.

Slavik81

Ten-Song said:

Unfortunately, something like 99% of the Xbox userbase doesn't have that option. Even if they are highly dissatisfied with their Xbox 360, switching to the competition is prohibitively costly for the marginal gain.

Basically, there's no competition on the back-end. Once somebody buys a console, they are locked in. At that point, there's basically nothing Microsoft could do that would make them switch to a competitor.

They'll only change if they think it's seriously affecting 360 sales... which is unlikely. It's a back-end fee, far less visible than the sticker price on the box.

Ten-Song

Slavik81 said:
Unfortunately, something like 99% of the Xbox userbase doesn't have that option. Even if they are highly dissatisfied with their Xbox 360, switching to the competition is prohibitively costly for the marginal gain.

Basically, there's no competition on the back-end. Once somebody buys a console, they are locked in. At that point, there's basically nothing Microsoft could do that would make them switch to a competitor.

They'll only change if they think it's seriously affecting 360 sales... which is unlikely. It's a back-end fee, far less visible than the sticker price on the box.

Well then, while I'm not into stuff like Home and such, I hope it eventually kicks Microsoft in the balls in terms of prospective new console buyers, seeing a match for match set of features on both systems, but a cost being tied to another one.

Paying for online just seems silly for me, and I would like to hope that Microsoft can't keep it up forever. They seem so damn confused now about what they're really doing with their service. And calling it a "service" has been one of their key slogans to defend it's price tag. Well, I have just as many features on other platforms now, and Steam and PSN don't charge me a dime.

FightyF

Banned
Ten-Song said:
And calling it a "service" has been one of their key slogans to defend it's price tag. Well, I have just as many features on other platforms now, and Steam and PSN don't charge me a dime.

On Steam maybe, but not on PSN.

I can already see the online experience being much better on Live, this Fall when games like NHL 09 come out. Using a Friends of Friends list to get an NHL GAF Clan going, using the 8 player party system to get 6 players to fill up a roster, playing other parties of 6 players...the experience will simply outclass the experience on PSN.

Ten-Song

FightyF said:
On Steam maybe, but not on PSN.

I can already see the online experience being much better on Live, this Fall when games like NHL 09 come out. Using a Friends of Friends list to get an NHL GAF Clan going, using the 8 player party system to get 6 players to fill up a roster, playing other parties of 6 players...the experience will simply outclass the experience on PSN.

Well, instead of a friend of a friend clan thing, people could just use an "apartment" in Home as a way to get together and play the game. Just seems like window dressing to me.

Nick Laslett said:
Wow, I think you'd find that far more than 1% of Xbox 360 owners also own a PS3 too.

The 360 instal base is roughly 10 million, 1% would equal only 100,000 Xbox users also owning a PS3.

With Gold membership you are talking about the hardcore gamer, I'm sure the dual ownership percentage is even higher with them.

One survey a few months ago showed 3% of current-gen gamers having more than one the 360/PS3/Wii platforms. I'd say there are more Wii60 owners than PS360 owners, so it might not be that much more than 1%.

Most people IRL look at me when I have two heads when I say I own more than one.

FightyF

Banned
Ten-Song said:
Well, instead of a friend of a friend clan thing, people could just use an "apartment" in Home as a way to get together and play the game. Just seems like window dressing to me.

No, the FoF feature lists all of those friends no matter what game they are playing or whether they are online or not. In Home, they HAVE to be there at that specific time and NOT playing a game.

It's not window dressing, it's an awesome way of splitting friends into different lists for different games. Effectively I have hundreds of GAFers across different lists, there's a list for GTA, a list for XBLA, a list for Racing games...whenever I want to play hardcore GAF gamers, I just look them up.

The fact that you didn't see the importance of this feature, tells me that you have to read up more on Live and all that it can do. I don't think you realize the gap between PSN and Live, and how large it is despite the latest updates.

Z_Y

ToyMachine228 said:
Buy Shadowrun. Seriously.

$7.98 at TRU.

Ten-Song said:

That's a great plan until you want to play Halo 3 or Gears. Then you might as well be playing your multi-plat games on the system with the bigger online community and proper voice chat.

Top Bottom