• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor and Floyd have agreed to terms on a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

Mayweather's hands are glass these days. That's a straight up fact. A lifetime of boxing has legitimately done damage to that man's hands. He's not knocking anyone out, it's just gonna be counterpunches forever.
I doubt he'd get a clean KO, but just because Floyd hasn't been knocking out top level boxers doesn't mean he wouldn't stop an amateur like Conor. Anyone lands at will on you enough, you'll be stopped. If this fight happens, and it's 12 rounds, Conor will get TKO'd.

On the deal... Even if they were to come to an agreement, UFC and their ownership still have to allow it, which I don't think they will. All they have to do is wait Conor out for a few months and he'll fight for them again.

The Adder

Banned
Mayweather working for the win will just involve the same nothing he always does. He'll hardly break a sweat. Nothing good is going to come out of this for McGregor except a one time huge pay day.

Mayweather turtling up and winning by decision is a win for McGregor.

Also the money.

Mayweather KO of any sort feels highly unlikely to me. Unless Conor just totally gasses out, which is possible he doesn't have best gas tank.

Floyd by dominant decision seems very likely

Sephzilla

Conor's gas tank is something I forgot to take into account. Yeah, if he'd somehow survive into the 4th or 5th round he'd be spent.

Should have been Ronda Rousey

HYycJDw.gif

Mega

Banned
Lol you guys acting like Connor would care if he got demolished. Dude could probably make more in this one fight than his entire UFC career.

This. He's not stupid and knows exactly what he's getting himself into. Biggest payday any MMA fighter will ever see.

Mayweather KO of any sort feels highly unlikely to me.

Why? I think Floyd winning by KO is a pretty safe pick tbh. What elite boxers that Floyd faced should he have KO'd?

Also Connor is not an Elite boxer so the comparison doesn't even hold. I would also argue boxers have much higher punch resistance due to bigger gloves and punching being the sole focus of attack so that's all they take to the head and body and deal with it, hence the reason why it's a more dangerous sport. Plus that's not even getting into the endurance needed to last 12 3 minute rounds while simultaneously dealing with the effects that accumulated punches to the head and body will have.

Why? I think Floyd winning by KO is a pretty safe pick tbh. What elite boxers that Floyd faced should he have KO'd?

Also Connor is not an Elite boxer so the comparison doesn't even hold. I would also argue boxers have much higher punch resistance due to bigger gloves and punching being the sole focus of attack so that's all they take to the head and body and deal with it, hence the reason why it's a more dangerous sport. Plus that's not even getting into the endurance needed to last 12 3 minute rounds while simultaneously dealing with the effects that accumulated punches to the head and body will have.

Because Floyd's hands are legit damaged, he's broken them multiple times through his career, which is a large part of why you don't see him sit down on punches anymore. Conor is used to being hit by harder hitting / larger fighters than Floyd with 4oz gloves on, and Conor has a great chin.

The only way I could really see any sort of KO or TKO for Floyd is if Conor gets exhausted late in the fight. Which is actually possible.

riotous

Banned
I really doubt this will happen; UFC knows Conor would be demolished, and it not only would weaken the image of their top star, but the sport itself.

Not that it SHOULD weaken the sport, but it could and will be construed as an embarrassment.

Zok310

Banned
Connor is gonna need a life time of boxing lessons to go 5 rounds with the p4p king.
The fuck am I kidding, it's about the money.

BadAss2961

Mayweather KO of any sort feels highly unlikely to me. Unless Conor just totally gasses out, which is possible he doesn't have best gas tank.

The fight would end up looking like when Floyd fought Gatti. Gatti was tough as shit, but Floyd eventually figured him out to the point that he literally began to land at will. Then everyone in attendance and at home became Duke in Rocky IV, begging for it to end before Gatti's corner finally threw the damn towel.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
even if you're not a betting man, if you have spare cash go in BIG on floyd for this one boys. Guaranteed money

because of the odds in favor of mayweather you prob wouldnt get much for it? I'd rather put a small amount on Connor esp if the odds arent in his favor if you win you win big

I really doubt this will happen; UFC knows Connor would be demolished, and it not only would weaken the image of their top star, but the sport itself.

On a day to day basis MMA does bigger ratings (at least domestic where it matters to the UFC) than boxing does. Most people wouldn't care that an MMA fighter lost in a boxing match other than boxing only fans. Most people would just watch it for the spectacle.

The real reason the UFC will do everything in their power for this fight to not happen will be the high risk that Conor retires after the fight and they never get a payday off of him again.

Because Floyd's hands are legit damaged, he's broken them multiple times through his career, which is a large part of why you don't see him sit down on punches anymore. Conor is used to being hit by harder hitting / larger fighters than Floyd with 4oz gloves on, and Conor has a great chin.

The only way I could really see any sort of KO or TKO for Floyd is if Conor gets exhausted late in the fight. Which is actually possible.

He still punches hard enough to stop people in their tracks and rethink their plan of attack. And once again we're talking about elite boxers with proven chins. Take the exhaustion out of the equation, and Mayweather completely outclassing Connor with continuous combination punches ala Gatti, where the corner throws in the towel or the referee has to stop it is certainly a possibility.

riotous

Banned
On a day to day basis MMA does bigger ratings (at least domestic where it matters to the UFC) than boxing does. Most people wouldn't care that an MMA fighter lost in a boxing match other than boxing only fans. Most people would just watch it for the spectacle.

The real reason the UFC will do everything in their power for this fight to not happen will be the high risk that Conor retires after the fight and they never get a payday off of him again.

Good point; but I still think the fact Conor would get embarrassed factors into the "why."

Conor can say he's never fighting in the UFC either way and try to cut them into the deal; they still won't do it. That was more my thinking; even if the money is there for the UFC they won't do it because of the long-term affect of "proof" that a guy like Conor would get killed in a boxing match. Maybe I'm over-estimating that affect though.

sirap

This. UFC is bleeding stars and WME-IMG needs to make a return in their purchase as fast as possible. They're in a difficult situation with Conor, he knows they need him.

He still punches hard enough to stop people in their tracks and rethink their plan of attack. And once again we're talking about elite boxers with proven chins. Take the exhaustion out of the equation, and Mayweather completely outclassing Connor with continuous combination punches ala Gatti, where the corner throws in the towel or the referee has to stop it is certainly a possibility.

I mean its possible, maybe some sort of TKO from cuts, but the odds of him actually KO'ing Conor are very very slim.

Again, Conor is used to taking punches, kicks, and knees with either 4oz gloves on, or no protection at all. I don't hink he's really that worried about eating some strikes with 10oz gloves on, instead of elbows to the side of his skull or head kicks

NandoGip

The betting line would be so skewed in Mayweather's favor it would hardly even be worth a bet. He would very likely be something like -900

because of the odds in favor of mayweather you prob wouldnt get much for it? I'd rather put a small amount on Connor esp if the odds arent in his favor if you win you win big

We will see, you are both probably right. Hedging would make the most sense

Kusagari

If you have money to throw away the best bet would be to throw it all on Conor. On the miniscule chance he wins you make insane bank.

I mean its possible, maybe some sort of TKO from cuts, but the odds of him actually KO'ing Conor are very very slim.

Again, Conor is used to taking punches, kicks, and knees with either 4oz gloves on, or no protection at all. I don't hink he's really that worried about eating some strikes with 10oz gloves on, instead of elbows to the side of his skull or head kicks

Conor does not take continuous punches by BOXERS, who throw punches BETTER from all different angles to the head and body, over the course of 12, 3-minute rounds.

Quit making this false equivalency.

conor-caught-by-diaz.gif

I know the gloves are different and boxing aint MMA, but has Conor even had an amateur boxing fight? Wasnt mayweather standing in the pocket vs Canelo and out striking him? Either way this would be so funny to watch, just a shame he probably will never defend his Lw belt, wanted to see Khalabib fight him :p

brawly

McGregor is going to get destroyed.

But in the process he'll make more money than he knows what to do with

"destroyed"

Floyd's punches will feel like a joke compared to the usual stuff that Conor is confronted with. But points wise, sure.

Conor does not take continuous punches by BOXERS, who throw punches BETTER from all different angles to the head and body, over the course of 12, 3-minute rounds. Quit making this false equivalency.

Its not a false equivalence. Conor fights in heavier weight classes, against harder hitting opponents, with less protection on. And has never been KO'd or TKO'd in a fight. He has a great chin. 1 Head kick is waaaay more powerful than multiple punches. Do you realize how much power you can generate with kicks?

Again I'll give you that some sort of late TKO due to exhaustion / accumulation is possible. But an actual legit KO, is very very slim odds.

BadAss2961

Exactly.

Everyone comes in wanting to take the fight to him, but they all end up gun-shy because his hands are still fast and those counters really sting. What happened to Manny is a prime example.

Destroyed.

It's hilarious you think MMA punches are the same as Boxers.

Its hilarious you think boxers punches have more power in them than knees / kicks with no padding on whatsoever.

The hardest single strike ever recorded by ESPN Sports Science is a kick from an MMA Fighter.

Again, I'll give you a late TKO is in the cards, but a clean KO isn't all that likely (but not impossible)

sirap

Conor is not an elite boxer. Conor's chin is proven in MMA, under their rules and conditions. It is not proven under the conditions of Boxing and all that it encompasses.

Boxing gloves theoretically allow you to punch harder (more padding) but Mayweather has really fragile hands, which is something he's admitted multiple times.

Also, boxing gloves being bigger than MMA gloves helps with defense. Not that Conor's known for good defense, but still. If a fighter's chin can hold up to head kicks, he won't have any problem with punches, especially ones from a smaller opponent.

Cumulative damage from punches are dangerous, but I'll take hooks and uppercuts over head-kicks any day of the week. I noped out of Taekwondo class the first time I had my temple smashed against someones foot.

Takuan

Conor had to pace himself for 5 rounds/25 mins against Nate. How's he gonna go 12/36 with the GOAT while being peppered with shots throughout?

Conor stans are unbelievable. I love the guy, but he is going to get embarassed badly - IF the fight happens.

Anyway that WME can block this from happening?
I imagine their lawyers are scrambling. This is horrible for the UFC.

Its hilarious you think boxers punches have more power in them than knees / kicks with no padding on whatsoever.

The hardest single strike ever recorded by ESPN Sports Science is a kick from an MMA Fighter.

Again, I'll give you a late TKO is in the cards, but a clean KO isn't all that likely (but not impossible)

Someone's ability to take a kick to the head is not analogous to punches to the head, especially when punches are usually followed by other punches unlike kicks especially within the sport of Boxing, which this fight is taking place in and is the only thing that's relevant to this topic.

Conor has an unreal sense of timing and ability to counter punch. But he is coming up against the guy who is literaly the best in the word at employing those tactics

I find it hard to see Conor winning, the only advantage he really has is his power and reach

Endurance, speed and experience all go to Mayweather. The only things really going to McGregors favour is that Mayweather in 2017 isn't prime Mayweather and that McGregor really knows how to employ his reach advantage when he has it

Regardless, the pre fight build up should be glorious

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
My post from the other thread on this:

Anyone who pays to see this event, if it happens, is a fool easily parted with their money. We've seen Mayweather clown on the best boxers around for a decade now, is anyone actually expecting a MMA fighter to get into a boxing ring with him and stand a chance? That's not even mentioning that Mayweather's entire style is about moving, attacking, and staying out of danger while frustrating his opponents. This isn't going to be a brawl or anything close and I wonder if Mayweather would even bother going in for a knock out as it hasn't been his strategy in years. He plays it safe, he stays out of danger, he racks up points and goes the distance using his incredibly training and stamina to dance around his opponents and never letting them get into any kind of rhythm. Its not going to be an exciting fight, its not going to be a worthwhile fight, its going to be the same fight we see every time from Mayweather.

Someone's ability to take a kick to the head is not analogous to punches to the head, especially when punches are usually followed by other punches unlike kicks especially within the sport of Boxing, which this fight is taking place in and is the only thing that's relevant to this topic.

I just have a very hard time seeing a puncher, not known for his power, who openly has admitted he has injured his hands through his career, and doesn't sit on punches anymore due to that, is going to go out and clean KO a bigger, heavier, stronger, opponent who is used to taking far more impactful shots.

It could happen, I'm not saying its impossible. Floyd is a waaaaay superior boxer. I just don't see a true clean KO happening. A late TKO / dominant decision seems the much safer bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom