• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor McGregor and Floyd have agreed to terms on a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are going to ignore your own example? Of Van Hardeen, an actual pro boxer, refuting everything you said? He literally said, and one can see, Conor has an amazing straight left, moves well, and has other small skills. All per your own example LOL.

You literally proved my point, your whole point was based off this sparring session. You're the one that brought up van hardeen, now you are saying listen to Teddy Atlas. LMAO!

Watch the video again to see how comically wrong you are. It's like not even funny. Van Hardeen, contradicting you like point by point, completely proving you wrong, your own example, and from a good fighter. There are tons of worse fighters among the 50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCXKT0hhdI

But please keep ignoring your own example and ignoring Van Hardeen himself, you know, the guy that actually spared with him. Keep ignoring that if he can fight with Hardeen he can obviously fight with the much much worse bottom 50 fighters. Anyway, thanks for making it easy and for proving my point with bringing up Van Hardeen.

Watch the video again to see how comically wrong you are. It's really funny how your own example perfectly and cleanly proves you wrong you are, lol. Thanks for making it easy, watch it again. And never bring up the opinion of Teddy Atlas if you want a boxing fan to take what you have to say seriously.

Watch it again, educate yourself. Trust the actual boxer knows what he is talking about, you know, they guy who dedicated his life to the sport. Or ignore it and stay delusional. Also telling the only example you could find is one that contradicts almost everything you said.

Bruh, are you watching the same video. McConnor is completely flatfooted, stands straight up, walks in straight line, backs straight back, etc... the lack of fundamentals is amazing. I'm in awe that you think that's great boxing skill. Please in detail list Connor's great boxing technical skill and form.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The sport of boxing at high levels is not nearly as simple as "hit people with your fists real good and make them fall down." Every element of a boxer's game is tailored specifically to the rules in the ring. The distances, the footwork, the degree you allow yourself to be exposed when committing to offense and closing distance based on what the sport allows for (punching, upper and lower body movement, clinching), viability of defensive mechanics based on glove size and what your opponent can be throwing at you, the understanding of how much and in what way the referee is likely to intervene in a clinch or othewise what you can get away with outside of the rules without getting disqualified, the scoring system, the overall economy of motion and efficient use of your body's reserves as it pertains to 12 three-minute boxing rounds...

...the devil's in the aforementioned details. All those details are as second nature to Floyd in a boxing ring as breathing, and *none* of those details carry over from having spent your career honing your striking skills for application under MMA rules instead of boxing rules. All those nuances are seriously all so different between each sport. It goes without saying, too, that MMA "strikers" in 2017 all have to be BJJ black belts with thousands of hours of mat time and high level offensive and defensive wrestling skills, along with drastically broader physical development attributes, and other important details on top of that like years of shin conditioning, just as an expected baseline for landing a successful punch against a skilled opponent in an MMA fight.

Conor should absolutely make it happen though. Doesn't tarnish him at all to take the inevitable L, Floyd has no reason to be scared under boxing rules so he'd be down if the money gets sorted to his liking, and Conor can hold his afterparty at the new diamond encrusted platinum mansion he'll be able to afford with the payday check.

Donthizz#

Conor is trying to get a new UFC deal. he has 4 fights left on his current contract and he's using Floyd as leverage. that's how I see it anyway.

Braag

One thing is for sure, this is going to be wild.

All the trash talking is gonna be, yeah. But I don't think the match itself is gonna be. Though it will be interesting to see how Conor does in a boxing ring, will he use the same tactics as in the octagon where the keeps pressuring his opponent into a corner and finishes him off or will he be more defensive.

Tom_Cody

So you are going to ignore your own example? Of Van Hardeen, an actual pro boxer, refuting everything you said? He literally said, and one can see, Conor has an amazing straight left, moves well, and has other small skills. All per your own example LOL. You literally proved my point, your whole point was based off this sparring session. You're the one that brought up van hardeen, now you are saying listen to Teddy Atlas. LMAO!
Lol at Chris van Heerden. This is what happened when van Heerden fought a real fighter with a proper left hand.

https://youtu.be/VooN72RtPk8

highrider

Banned
Floyd is an all time great respectively within a sport that has over a century of legacy and history of all time greats to compare and contrast against. Connor is a good fighter that's a superstar respectively within his sport, but it remains to be seen ultimately where Connor's legacy will be not only after he retires but 50 years from now after MMA and UFC has more history under their belts.

Yeah, I mean I'm not making an argument for Connor being in the class of Floyd as a boxer. What I am saying is Conner is deading dudes with one punch. Still I would bet on Floyd if I gambled, but it's a power left hand that comes from odd angles.

I'm sorry I didn't realize that boxing was fake fighting.

Someone call mike Tyson and tell him the news.

it's not fake fighting but if street fight between those two happened with no weapons, connor would obviously destroy him any day of the week and twice on sundays. Many MMA fighters would do the same to a peak Tyson.

MMA proved that you need much more than striking.

Shirow

Banned
it's not fake fighting but if street fight between those two happened with no weapons, connor would obviously destroy him any day of the week and twice on sundays. Many MMA fighters would do the same to a peak Tyson.

Vg0JstydL8HCg

MMA fans are always a trip.

Nah, no. Not ever.

Like, have you even seen what Tyson was like in his prime? The actual Mike Tyson? The heavy weight boxer that was throwing 8 punches in 4 seconds?

Such disrespect to the heavyweight GOAT. How old are you? Some people these days just view Iron Mike as some dude with a weird face tattoo who was in the Hangover films.

lets ask Mike:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/Mike-Tyson-No-way-I-would-have-beaten-Royce-Gracie-in-93

”Well, in '93, I was in prison, so there would not have been a fight," said Tyson speaking practically. ”But there is no way I would have won. I had no idea what was going on with that type of fighting and would've been taken by surprise. I would have had to train in that particular art of fighting for that to happen. That's a particular art. You are not going to go in there with your just your hands, you need to have a great ground game as well. You also need a great wrestling game to be successful. You have to have both skills, wrestling and boxing. That's the truth."
��

the game has evolved so much since then.
now if mike undergoes years of MMA training, that's a different story.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Are you seriously in here with this,"its not a real fight" stuff? Boxing is a sport, not a street brawl and that's the entire point. There are rules, regulations and standards for a reason. MMA isn't a "real fight" either with all its rules and restrictions.

Radec

First fight should be inside a boxing ring.

Second fight in the octagon.

Then the tie breaker in a WWE ring at Wrestlemania.

mnannola

I don't think the UFC allows this if McGregor is under contract with them. He will get wrecked and make UFC look like a joke. Only way UFC allows this if they can somehow find a way to make mad bank off of it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So you are going to ignore your own example? Of Van Hardeen, an actual pro boxer, refuting everything you said? He literally said, and one can see, Conor has an amazing straight left, moves well, and has other small skills. All per your own example LOL. You literally proved my point, your whole point was based off this sparring session. You're the one that brought up van hardeen, now you are saying listen to Teddy Atlas. LMAO!

Watch the video again to see how comically wrong you are. It's like not even funny. Van Hardeen, contradicting you like point by point, completely proving you wrong, your own example, and from a good fighter. There are tons of worse fighters among the 50.

But please keep ignoring your own example and ignoring Van Hardeen himself, you know, the guy that actually spared with him. Keep ignoring that if he can fight with Hardeen he can obviously fight with the much much worse bottom 50 fighters. Anyway, thanks for making it easy and for proving my point with bringing up Van Hardeen.

Watch the video again to see how comically wrong you are. It's really funny how your own example perfectly and cleanly proves how wrong you are, lol. Thanks for making it easy, watch it again. And never bring up the opinion of Teddy Atlas if you want a boxing fan to take what you have to say seriously. Teddy Atlas, LMAO! The biggest joke in boxing punditry, which is why ppl like him. He's an oversensitive loveable buffoon.

Watch it again, educate yourself. Trust the actual boxer knows what he is talking about, you know, they guy who dedicated his life to the sport. Or ignore it and stay delusional. Also telling the only example you could find is one that contradicts almost everything you said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNVFAR4Ga5E

is freddie roach also a joke? van herdeen is just hyped because he got to spar with such a huge name. he also said he would get destroyed by floyd.

Spladam

McGregor would have to wait until his UFC contract is up, as Dana would never allow this.
Like most said here, he'll loose, but it doesn't matter, for the kind of money he'll make, why not.

Edit: ↓ That's funny.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Personally I'd like to see Floyd get into NASCAR. You think he gets under white folks skin now, well just wait till he starts winning races.

BadAss2961

Floyd i'll give you, he's no street fighter. But prime Mike? Nah. I'd pick him over anyone in the fight game right now in a street fight. That guy was a monster and no stranger to the streets growing up.

Boxing is no street fight, but neither is MMA.

Floyd i'll give you, he's no street fighter. But prime Mike? Nah. I'd pick him over anyone in the fight game right now in a street fight. That guy was a monster and no stranger to the streets growing up.

Boxing is no street fight, but neither is MMA.

Neither is MMA? Your delusional. I would rather have MMA experience ( JiuJitsu, Muay Thai AND BOXING) instead of just boxing in a street fight....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If it's a boxing match, let me give you a run down:

• Mayweather runs a clinic on the dude
  • McGregor can't hit the broadside of a barn
  • People are upset they paid so much money to watch what everyone knew would happen.
  • mayweatherlaughingtothebank.jpg

YEP! Love this. And I'll still pay to see this.

Neither is MMA? Your delusional. I would rather have MMA experience ( JiuJitsu, Muay Thai AND BOXING) instead of just boxing in a street fight....
Why?

Expecting a drunk to go for a tackle and follow it up with aggressive ground game?
Gonna wait for them to throw a punch so you can counter with a sick kimura?

BadAss2961

I agree that the average mixed martial artist, especially one good with kicks, has an advantage over the average boxer. But MMA is still no street fight. MMA has rules. MMA is confined to a ring or a cage with a nice canvas to roll around on, wrestle, and employ Jits.

Street fights have no rules. They're hectic, uncontrolled, and unpredictable. They usually start on the feet and end there.

lets ask Mike:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/Mike-Tyson-No-way-I-would-have-beaten-Royce-Gracie-in-93

��

the game has evolved so much since then.
now if mike undergoes years of MMA training, that's a different story.

This is Mike paying respect to a legend in another sport and acknowledging that he wouldn't win in an MMA fight due to the additional skills required there.

Nothing damning in that statement at all.

Why?

Expecting a drunk to go for a tackle and follow it up with aggressive ground game?
Gonna wait for them to throw a punch so you can counter with a sick kimura?

Most street fights end up with people wrestling and rolling around on the ground, so BJJ and actual wrestling training would likely come in handy.

That said, street fights have no form, rules, or "honor" so it's a dumb debate anyways. People will do anything not to get beat up because your life is literally at risk in such a situation.

Fighting isn't rock-paper-scissors where one style is automatically better because of reasons.

There is this thought amongst MMA aficionados that because Jiujitsu is available that anyone who stands up will have no chance.

I agree that the average mixed martial artist, especially one good with kicks, has an advantage over the average boxer. But MMA is still no street fight. MMA has rules. MMA is confined to a ring or a cage with a nice canvas to roll around on, wrestle, and employ Jits.

Street fights have no rules. They're hectic, uncontrolled, and unpredictable. They usually start on the feet and end there.

ugh.....Someone with even a little Wrestling/JiuJitsu is gonna take down someone for some nice ground and pound. Someone with Muay Thai knowledge is gonna front kick or leg kick the shit out of a boxer. Lets also include standing clinch with knees to the face.

Yes there are rules to MMA as a sport. We are talking about which is more applicable to self defense in a street fight right? You guys still want to debate someone with some boxing that only has one way to finish the fight will just easily knock someone out?

It's also really hard to debate this stuff with people that have never trained a day in their life.

Edit:
Lets not forget traditional Judo. Probably the most effective for standing up, especially if someone is wearing a jacket. But a skilled Judo player probably has the best chance at throwing someone on to their head causing some serious harm. Then going to jail....

ugh.....Someone with even a little Wrestling/JiuJitsu is gonna take down someone for some nice ground and pound. Someone with Muay Thai knowledge is gonna front kick or leg kick the shit out of a boxer. Lets also include standing clinch with knees to the face.

Yes there are rules to MMA as a sport. We are talking about which is more applicable to self defense in a street fight right? You guys still want to debate someone with some boxing that only has one way to finish the fight will just easily knock someone out?

It's also really hard to debate this stuff with people that have never trained a day in their life.

I've trained before, however I think the waters get muddy about the different styles because you usually see all time greats like Tyson, Mayweather, etc being brought into a discussion and it's considered an instant lose for then no matter what, because they are limited to just boxing. My view is that most of those all time greats aren't just good boxers but some of the greatest in combat sports period.

Acorn

Worldstaaaaaarrrrrr

Ridiculous post. You should be able to use your hands in football (world) because rules suck.

Spladam

The quote from Mayweather:

”When I faced Arturo Gatti, I went to his turf," Mayweather said (via FightHype). ”He was the A side, I was the B side. I beat him, I didn't cry, I didn't complain. When I faced Oscar De La Hoya, he was the A side, I was the B side. I didn't cry, I didn't complain, I beat him and I became the A side. For Conor McGregor, I'm coming out of retirement, just to fight Conor McGregor.

”I don't want to hear no more excuses about the money, about the UFC. Sign the paper with the UFC so you can fight me in June. Simple and plain. Let's fight in June. You're the B side, I'm the A side. We're not here to cry about money. I'm tired of all this crying about money and talking about you want to fight. You blowing smoke up everybody's ass. If you want to fight, sign the paperwork, let's do it.

Today, I'm officially out of retirement for Conor McGregor. We don't need to waste no time. We need to make this s**t happen quickly. Let's get it on in June."

There was also the report on several MMA sights (most quoting FloCombat) that the T-Mobile Arena has put June 10th on reserve to potentially host the fight between McGregor and Mayweather.

Here's the Joe Rogan podcast show talking about it.

The fight is most likely not happening in June, for several reasons (McGregor's girlfriend is having a kid around then), but it looks like it is going to happen.
Tonight on Conan, Dana White changed his tune, gave the fight his blessing, and said that it is most likely going to happen. Looks like the UFC is getting a part of the pie now.

Dana on Conan O'Brien talking about the fight.
Dana claims Mayweather is not going to knock McGregor out, stating that Mayweather is up against a size disadvantage and has trouble with southpaws.

In case you guys don't know, McGregor was a very skilled boxer in his youth.

Sheroking

Dana on Conan O'Brien talking about the fight.
Dana claims Mayweather is not going to knock McGregor out, stating that Mayweather is up against a size disadvantage and has trouble with southpaws.

In case you guys don't know, McGregor was a very skilled boxer in his youth.

lul at this whole bit.

"A talented boxer in his youth" - against one of the best ever.

"Trouble with southpaws" - He has a perfect record against pro Southpaws. He's probably had like 100 fights pro and amateur against better boxers than Connor is going to be.

This is such a farce. Of course he won't knock him out - this is Floyd Mayweather. He's going to pick him apart and win the easiest UD ever.

Nothing to speculate. Unless Floyd is just completely off his game he'll win this easy

Yep.

It'll be his easiest fight since Ricky Hatton.

All this stuff about how "what if McGregor catches him" is hilarious...like this shit hasn't been true for 90% of the people Floyd has fought, all much more accomplished boxers than McGregor. Mayweather doesn't get caught and he'll win comfortably and make a stupid amount of money off of it.

Edit - But will say good on McGregor for getting himself this fight if he manages it. Dominated the UFC and has been brash enough to make this something people want to see and worth Mayweather's while. He will make a killing off of it.

Spladam

lul at this whole bit.

"A talented boxer in his youth" - against one of the best ever.

"Trouble with southpaws" - He has a perfect record against pro Southpaws. He's probably had like 100 fights pro and amateur against better boxers than Connor is going to be.

This is such a farce. Of course he won't knock him out - this is Floyd Mayweather. He's going to pick him apart and win the easiest UD ever.

Nothing to speculate. Unless Floyd is just completely off his game he'll win this easy
Oh, I completely admit, Mayweather is going to take him into deep water and pick him apart. I am curious what Vegas will put that odds at though.
Both are looking to walk away with 100+ million from this.

-Edit: BUT, you guys have to admit, there is a little magic about McGregor, a little "chosen one" quality to him, he is something special. If there was a fighter to get lucky and win something like this, it would be him. It's what makes it such a spectacle.

Calderc

Conor will just go for a takedown or a kick within the first 10 seconds, say it was muscle memory and instictive and get DQ'd. Still gets paid.

Chumley

Banned
This is exciting because of that .01 percent chance Connor knocks him out and changes boxing forever. The salt from Floyd fans and everyone saying he had no chance would sustain me for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom