• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative media spent the last 24 hours on fake Seth Rich conspiracies.

Seth Rich was a DNC staffer who was shot and killed last year in what was probably a failed robbery attempt. Republicans believe that Rich leaked information from the DNC to Wikileaks and was assassinated on orders from Hillary Clinton. This conspiracy clearly makes no sense as it's been basically proven that the DNC was hacked and not that the info was taken by an employee.

Yesterday, Fox5DC ran with a story claiming that an investigator had heard evidence that Seth Rich was in contact with Wikileaks. Fox News then had this as their top story along with Breitbart and the rest. It trended in the top 5 on Twitter for most of the last 24 hours thanks to Alt-Right bot accounts.

The Fox5DC report was... not good.

On Monday night, Rod Wheeler, a private investigator and Fox News contributor, put things in motion during an interview with WTTG-TV, a Fox affiliate in Washington.

Wheeler, who was under contract with the family of Seth Rich, a Democratic National Committee staffer who was fatally shot in July, told WTTG-TV evidence existed that proved Rich had been in contact with Wikileaks before his death.

But Tuesday afternoon, Wheeler told CNN he had no evidence to suggest Rich had contacted Wikileaks before his death.

Wheeler instead said he only learned about the possible existence of such evidence through the reporter he spoke to for the FoxNews.com story. He explained that the comments he made to WTTG-TV were intended to simply preview Fox News' Tuesday story. The WTTG-TV news director did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

"I only got that [information] from the reporter at Fox News," Wheeler told CNN.

Asked about a quote attributed to him in the Fox News story in which he said his "investigation up to this point shows there was some degree of email exchange between Seth Rich and Wikileaks," Wheeler said he was referring to information that had already been reported in the media.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/16/med...sponse-claims-of-wikileaks-contact/index.html

Sean Hannity started his show tonight with the idea that Hillary Clinton assassinated Seth Rich.

Doing the puppeteer's work.

5aJgdxb.png

I knew Trump supporters and their bots were trying to push this story to change the narrative, but I had no idea Fox would stoop this low.

It's downright creepy

Wasn't their an article that said Murdoch & Trump talk once a week? Fox News will do anything to protect Trump because his obvious connection to Murdoch. Expect them to go further down the rabbit hole of absurdities for our dear President.

Ekai

Worth noting that Seth Rich's family has condemned these reports and conspiracy theories.

The liberal media got to them! Hollywood elite got to them! The establishment got to them! The Muslims got to them! The LGBT community got to them! They're all paid Soros shills trying to blackmail and silence this poor grieving family who only wants the truth revealed! This a conspiracy that goes all the way to the top and everything that's an other is to blame!

/s

The liberal media got to them! Hollywood got to them! The Muslism got to them! The LGBT community got to them! This a conspiracy that goes all the way to the top and everything that's an other is to blame!

/s

The sad thing is, I saw this exact argument while browsing twitter. I don't think it was satire based on user profiles.

Ekai

The sad thing is, I saw this exact argument while browsing twitter. I don't think it was satire based on user profiles.

I edited my post to add some dumb thing about being Soros shills who are paid to terrify the family into hiding the truth because yea. Seen that kind of garbage plenty of times from right-wing circles said completely seriously.

adj_noun

I went to r/t_d to see how they were dealing with the ongoing Trumptanic and everything was SETH RICH SETH RICH SETH RICH.

I guess this is why.

Pretty sickening stuff. Feel bad for his family and friends.
Sadly it's not surprising seeing how these are the same folks that used the dead at Benghazi as political props. They're insane.

Ekai

If hillary Clinton was such a puppet master, genius, how come she didn't murder and blackmail her way to the presidency?

The Republicans will be handling that after Trump is gone.

We all know they project what they wish to do onto others.

the fact that Anthony Weiner is still alive is proof that Hillary Clinton doesn't murder liabilities, because imo if I was a horrible frank underwood type, he'd be target number one during the election period

Twitter, Reddit, Facebook and other social media sites really need to be more proactive in stopping this garbage. It's blatant as day when you can look at T_D or twitter and just see a ton of bots spamming the same stupid message or fake story and you'll know that will be the conservative "news" talking point for the day to distract from whatever manbaby is doing on that day.

Ekai

Like 5 main threads on r/t_d were all Seth related. These nutjobs are going to hound the Seth family for years to come.

All because they view politics as a sports game that can be used to harass minorities/"the liberals". It's sickening how inhuman these people are.

Yeah I happened to visit r/thedonald and literally every single post was on this. These people are beyond saving.

These people would murder if their God ordered it. It's fucking scary.

KingV

I went to r/t_d to see how they were dealing with the ongoing Trumptanic and everything was SETH RICH SETH RICH SETH RICH.

I guess this is why.

The_donald is basically also bots.

I think Russia knows that if trump is impeached that they are fucked on sanctions.

Mad ironic they give a damn about a "filthy liberal" getting killed.

Same as the "homophobic slurs" they caped against Colbert for.

Lautaro

I was wondering about that when I saw that name spammed all over t_d. Sorry, guys, no conspiracy theory is big enough to cover Trump's scandal of the week.

EDIT: just checked r/conspiracy, its so obvious that sub is also saturated with t_d shills.

Yeah I happened to visit r/thedonald and literally every single post was on this. These people are beyond saving.

Just to let you know that various lowlifes like Cernovich lou Dobbs are signalling with this language alreadY. They are getting as close as they can, saying that it's a coup by (eye roll) liberals and that their god Bannon predicted this at the outset, that the (eye roll) deep state would fight back, the White House is under attack by journalists of fake news (so pretty much anyone not working for fox or Breitbart).

Twitter needs to pull the rug on these guys there is nothing about having a huge following that should make incitement to violence any harder to spot in fact the bar should be higher when you have 150k or 1.5m pinheads all pre-programmed ready to go off.

KingV

Just to let you know that various lowlifes like Cernovich lou Dobbs are signalling with this language alreadY. They are getting as close as they can, saying that it's a coup by (eye roll) liberals and that their god Bannon predicted this at the outset, that the (eye roll) deep state would fight back, the White House is under attack by journalists of fake news (so pretty much anyone not working for fox or Breitbart).

Twitter needs to pull the rug on these guys there is nothing about having a huge following that should make incitement to violence any harder to spot in fact the bar should be higher when you have 150k or 1.5m pinheads all pre-programmed ready to go off.

Yeah twitter and Facebook need to crack down on this shit.

gutshot

So literally hours after it was reported that Trump revealed classified intel to the Russians, the bot-net went into overdrive peddling this conspiracy theory on Twitter and Reddit.

I wonder who could be behind it... 🤔

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
the sad thing is, this could be dubunked to hell and back, and conservatives will still parrot "Seth Rich" nonsense for the next 20 years just like they still do with Vince Foster

Sean*O

What about Wikileaks retweeting this today: https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/763852003093217280?lang=en

Or tweeting this about 20 hours ago: https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/864383680118235137

They continue to suggest that Seth Rich was their source for the DNC leaks.

Assange has said several times the source was not Russia, nor a state party.

Wikileaks offered a $20,000 reward for information on Seth Rich's murder; have they ever done that for anyone else?

Assange also strongly hinted that Seth Rich was his source here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69jeVxHnjY

Is Wikileaks full of shit now too?

besada

Banned

The people who post at The Donald are all shitbags, but it has been a little amusing watching them suck down this Seth Rich bullshit like it was gospel, because it allowed them to ignore the story the rest of the world is discussing

Wikileaks has always been full of shit.

Pedrito

Wikileaks has been pushing this as well. If Rich really contacted them, why don't they release the emails? It's not like they have a source to protect, he's dead.

rhetorical question...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What about Wikileaks retweeting this today: https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/763852003093217280?lang=en

Or tweeting this about 20 hours ago: https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/864383680118235137

Wikileaks offered a $20,000 reward for information on Seth Rich's murder; have they ever done that for anyone else?

Assange also strongly hinted that Seth Rich was his source here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69jeVxHnjY

I mean it's not like Wikileaks has shown they have any other motive besides the 100% truth.

Wikileaks has been full of shit for some time.

Top Bottom