• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative media spent the last 24 hours on fake Seth Rich conspiracies.

Partisanship happened. They were great for exposing the crimes of the Bush administration and now they're awful Russian shills for exposing the previous administration and publishing the DNC emails.

Lol. The partisanship part is correct but only because Julian hitched his wagon to the Trump train because he hates Hillary and wanted to bring her down. Also maybe a Russia loving White House would welcome him with open arms.

Dehnus

Seth Rich was a DNC staffer who was shot and killed last year in what was probably a failed robbery attempt. Republicans believe that Rich leaked information from the DNC to Wikileaks and was assassinated on orders from Hillary Clinton. This conspiracy clearly makes no sense as it's been basically proven that the DNC was hacked and not that the info was taken by an employee.

Yesterday, Fox5DC ran with a story claiming that an investigator had heard evidence that Seth Rich was in contact with Wikileaks. Fox News then had this as their top story along with Breitbart and the rest. It trended in the top 5 on Twitter for most of the last 24 hours thanks to Alt-Right bot accounts.

The Fox5DC report was... not good.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/16/med...sponse-claims-of-wikileaks-contact/index.html

Sean Hannity started his show tonight with the idea that Hillary Clinton assassinated Seth Rich.

Well that is from the channel that has "I'm gay and a woman, so I understand how autism affects people." as an apology for trying to DESTROY an 8 year old child that just followed the social cue rules his mind had set up to function in a NeuroTypical world.

So I'm not surprised they use the "Hillary Clinton" defense to save their great Trumpaloompa. All they have to do is keep their viewers busy until it blows over..... and Hillary Clinton is great for that.... republicans love to hate her.

Miletius

We're quickly hurdling into a US with two 100% different narratives on what is happening in real life

Lol

Quickly hurdling? We're already there my friend. If you a diehard republican you are 100 percent brainwashed. Like, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You live in an alternate reality, one inhabited only by your partizan faithful. A world in which Hillary Clinton and John Podesta held a child molesting ring under a pizza parlor. A world in which the entire planet hates HRC because of Benghazi. A world in which the media, controlled by leftists and Marxists, are in the process of destroying the USA to suit their own needs.

Zolo

Quickly hurdling? We're already there my friend. If you a diehard republican you are 100 percent brainwashed. Like, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You live in an alternate reality, one inhabited only by your partizan faithful. A world in which Hillary Clinton and John Podesta held a child molesting ring under a pizza parlor. A world in which the entire planet hates HRC because of Benghazi. A world in which the media, controlled by leftists and Marxists, are in the process of destroying the USA to suit their own needs.

Yeah. It seems there was a time when conspiracy theories used to just be a part of a fringe group. Now we have them broadcasted on Fox News and by the president himself.

RawNuts

Welcome to nothingburger, home of the nothingburger, may I take your order?

I love how Breitbart buries their shitty news with other rapid-fire stories when they realize they fucked up.

Strange though isnt it. In the 90's it was a very small minority of nutty Republicans that ever believed that Hillary killed Vince Foster and Bill killed Ron Brown. Strange how much of America has lost rational thought during my lifetime.

Trust me, any of you who are too young to have been following politics in the 90's, and in particular before 9/11, America has become a very very weird place in my lifetime. How would you feel if the normal people you were around when they were 30 turned into conspiracy nuts by 55.

Partisanship happened. They were great for exposing the crimes of the Bush administration and now they're awful Russian shills for exposing the previous administration and publishing the DNC emails.

It has nothing to do with partisanship and has everything to do with that Wikileaks has always been a mouthpiece for destabilizing the United States for the benefit of Russia. Always without exception. They've always been shills for Russia, it's just that "exposing the [alleged] crimes of the Bush administration" was the most effective way for Russia to weaken the United States 10 years ago, and "exposing the [alleged] crimes of the Obama Administration/Clinton campaign" was the most effective way for Russia to weaken the United States today.

The overall goal of Wikileaks has always been to destabilize the West, weaken the US, and help Russia. They were never working for you, working to expose crimes, working for truth, or working for any benefit of anybody other than the despot in Moscow (and his allies), it's just that partisans on the left politically benefited from Wikileaks goal 10 years ago, and now partisans on the left are the victims of Wikileaks goal today.

It's the one refreshing thing from this election, that the rest of the moderate left has (mostly) woken up to how hostile Russia is to the United States. For a 15 years, it was a continued stream of Russian apologia, culminating in 2012 with Obama burning Mitt Romney during a debate that "the 80s called and want their foreign policy back," and "It's not the cold war anymore." Oh how we all cheered and laughed at the zinger, and then 4 years later, Putin and Assange would help deliver the White House to Donald Trump and use all of their effort to sink the Clinton campaign.

mclem

Wait, what happened? I've been out of the loop apparently. Last I checked, they were great for revealing a bunch of shady government shit and that what's his face was hiding out in Russia. What did I miss?

"What's his face hiding out in Russia" is Edward Snowden, he's a whole different kettle of fish to the Wikileaks stuff, although he was also leaky in himself.

LosDaddie

Banned
So, uh, just another day for conservative media, right? Once the agenda / talking points are set, then all of conservative media follow thru with the action First is to get the radio arm talking about it during the day, then Fox News finishes it up in the evening. A full day of the same talking points being repeated to their voters.

This isn't anything new.

This kind of shit worries more than Trump's presidency. Trump will be gone eventually. How the hell are we going to curtail the right-wing propaganda machine? How the hell are we going to deprogram the apparent third of America it brainwashed?

If nothing changes, I can't see how this doesn't end in violence.

How would you go about changing it?

TyrantII

We're quickly hurdling into a US with two 100% different narratives on what is happening in real life

That's been the strategy of the GOP for 40 years. The drumbeat of it has seeped into conventional wisdom, especially with how the media approaches politics.

In the 60s Conservatives saw neutral institutions as partisan, liberal pushing propaganda outfits. Out of that false analysis they created counter institutions to push their own propaganda.

And here we are. They built their party and "intellectual" thought on lies and propaganda, and the US is now in peril because of it.

On the bright side (for them) it's allowed them to totally capture all power with a small minority of the eligible voting population, in a country that identifies as center-left if you poll them on what policy they support without attaching partisan identifiers.

-MB-

It's insane how quick they manage to spread such a load of nonsense. I see it even being brought up on Dutch news websites by rightwing people. Trying to push this narrative there too.

MogCakes

It's insane how quick they manage to spread such a load of nonsense. I see it even being brought up on Dutch news websites by rightwing people. Trying to push this narrative there too.
Botnets by the Kremlin doing god emperor Trump's will.

Prompto

Banned
The family of Seth Rich, the Democratic National Committee staffer who was fatally shot last July, is demanding retractions from Fox News and WTTG-TV on Wednesday for their inaccurate reports on the unsolved murder, a spokesman for the family told CNN Wednesday.

"The family is officially asking for a retraction and an apology from Fox News and from the Fox 5 DC affiliate for inaccurate reporting and damaging the legacy of their son," spokesman Brad Bauman said.
This week, both Fox News and WTTG-TV published and aired reports, sourced to private investigator Rod Wheeler, that said evidence showed Rich had been in contact with Wikileaks before his death. Wheeler later told CNN he had no such evidence and that he had, in fact, only heard of some information attributed to him from a Fox News reporter with whom he spoke.

A FoxNews.com story on the case also cited a "federal source" who said the FBI had conducted a forensic analysis of Rich's computer and discovered thousands of emails with Wikileaks. But a law enforcement official told CNN that the FBI never had possession of Rich's laptop and did not conduct a forensic analysis of its contents.
Neither Fox News nor WTTG-TV have issued corrections to their reports. Multiple requests for comment made to both outlets were not returned.
Bauman said that if Fox News and WTTG-TV do not take action, the family will.
"They need to retract the story or issue an apology or the family will consider other options, including legal, to clear their son's name and get Fox to do what's right," he told CNN.

Source: CNN

Conservative media is still laser focused on the idea that Hillary assassinated Seth Rich.

DAIkGamUwAAyAKv.jpg

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I actually happened to visit /r/the_donald yesterday purely out of coincidental curiosity, and saw the number of threads about this guy. It was nuts.

Scary times.

Top Bottom