• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative media spent the last 24 hours on fake Seth Rich conspiracies.

What about Wikileaks retweeting this today: https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/763852003093217280?lang=en

Or tweeting this about 20 hours ago: https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/864383680118235137

They continue to suggest that Seth Rich was their source for the DNC leaks.

Assange has said several times the source was not Russia, nor a state party.

Wikileaks offered a $20,000 reward for information on Seth Rich's murder; have they ever done that for anyone else?

Assange also strongly hinted that Seth Rich was his source here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69jeVxHnjY

Is Wikileaks full of shit now too?

Wikileaks is full of more shit than you can possibly imagine.

You should read this article. It tells you everything you need to know about Julian Assange: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n05/andrew-ohagan/ghosting

So literally hours after it was reported that Trump revealed classified intel to the Russians, the bot-net went into overdrive peddling this conspiracy theory on Twitter and Reddit.

I wonder who could be behind it... 🤔

1392913486293.png

what timing

I tuned in to Fox News three different times tonight to check how they were spinning the Comey memo. I can confirm that this was the case. In the 15 minutes of the two different programs I caught, they covered:
  • the Seth Rich conspiracy;
  • a poll showing that 80% of recent Trump coverage on the news has been negative (which is evidence of media bias, of course, and not a failing administration);
  • the hypocrisy of SNL and Stephen Colbert, who feign outrage by the administration but don't actually care about their viewers (because if they did, they would not cash in on their boost in ratings and instead would donate their profits);
  • the cancellation of last man standing -- an attack on conservative values by elitist Hollywood executives; and
  • I also heard a pundit use the term "liberal snowflakes" unironically.

All of this was apparently more newsworthy than the Comey memo. The only mention of the memo I saw was a footnote in the Chyron.

I knew Fox news was trash, but this was a sobering reminder of how morally bankrupt the channel is. Pure propaganda delivered directly to its gigantic audience. Sickening.

Cat Party

It's things like this that really make me fear for the future of our country. This is the shit that has become mainstream in our country. There are no consequences anymore because the people who vote R have been lied and pandered too for so long the original liars and panderers have lost their power in favor of the true nutjobs they created.

I tuned in to Fox News three different times tonight to check how they were spinning the Comey memo. I can confirm that this was the case. In the 15 minutes of the two different programs I caught, they covered:
  • the Seth Rich conspiracy;
  • a poll showing that 80% of recent Trump coverage on the news has been negative (which is evidence of media bias, of course, and not a failing administration);
  • the hypocrisy of SNL and Stephen Colbert, who feign outrage by the administration but don't actually care about their viewers (because if they did, they would not cash in on their boost in ratings and instead would donate their profits);
  • the cancellation of last man standing -- an attack on conservative values by elitist Hollywood executives; and
  • I also heard a pundit use the term "liberal snowflakes" unironically.

All of this was apparently more newsworthy than the Comey memo. The only mention of the memo I saw was a footnote in the Chyron.

I knew Fox news was trash, but this was a sobering reminder of how morally bankrupt the channel is. Pure propaganda delivered directly to its gigantic audience. Sickening.

lol, you're lucky that you don't have family members that get their news exclusively from Fox News.

Zolo

It's things like this that really make me fear for the future of our country. This is the shit that has become mainstream in our country. There are no consequences anymore because the people who vote R have been lied and pandered too for so long the original liars and panderers have lost their power in favor of the true nutjobs they created.

Yeah. I remember discussing with a friend about how 'fake news' is going to be a big topic and issue going forward back in November. It's definitely one of the bigger problems we're having if so much of our population can't even agree on facts and conspiracy theories are now becoming mainstream news.

sangreal

This story was clearly infowars tier from the start but jfc at the explanation

Can't put the genie back in the bottle though, now the conspiracy will be that the DNC got to him

Ekai

Reading some of this and I truly wonder if these people are lifelong democrats or actual Bernie supporters. I feel like many weren't and it's all just a bunch of liars trying to convince people reading "I was just like you!" which is what cult members do to gain the trust of others.

I'm sure they aren't Bernie supporters/at worst are the extreme vocal minority but it makes for a nice narrative to continue beating the primary drum when it has nothing to do with the topic/say Bernie supporters are evil/not liberal by even attempting to blow it up like it's literally anything notable at all. Can't say I'm not surprised that such an argument would be framed considering. Kinda weird since apparently that's not a cool thing to be doing anymore. Hmmmmmmm.

Zolo

he absolutely is

and they absolutely won't

shame, it's my favorite social media spot by a landslide but they give negative fucks

On the other side, they at least told the Trump administration to fuck off when they wanted info on certain users by publicly revealing they were trying to get info. That at least means they have more integrity than Wikileaks.

DNC should have gone the bot approach too. Ridiculous that Repubs of all political parties were able to use the internet more effectively than Dems who should be more adept at using technology.

But then again a lot of technologically savvy (and rich) people are closet Republicans so maybe this is not surprising. They just didn't bother for Mitt (lol).

I'm sure they aren't Bernie supporters/at worst are the extreme vocal minority but it makes for a nice narrative to continue beating the primary drum when it has nothing to do with the topic/say Bernie supporters are evil/not liberal by even attempting to blow it up like it's literally anything notable at all. Can't say I'm not surprised that such an argument would be framed considering.

From what I saw, a lot of Bernie's supporters were concerned about what happened to Seth Rich from the very beginning. Especially throughout the DNC scandals leading up to the convention.

Ekai

From what I saw, a lot of Bernie's supporters were concerned about what happened to Seth Rich from the very beginning. Especially throughout the DNC scandals leading up to the convention.

I'm not interested in this game nor how ridiculously false it is. Just pointing out that there's people trying to ignite the primaries yet again. When apparently that's not a thing we're supposed to be doing. Like, seriously, what does it even add?

Dude is trying to have his cake and eat it, too.

As for those spreading conspiracy theories around Rich’s death, Wheeler said it wasn’t helpful. “I’m disappointed,” he said. “It doesn’t help catch the bad guy.”

Shortly after that conversation, Wheeler appeared on Fox News.

“I don’t know for sure, I don’t know as a matter of fact if the emails went out to the Wikileaks or anybody else,” Wheeler told Sean Hannity. “But it sure appears that way.”

Now, I'm just a simple space chicken, but a source quoting the news station that brings him on their show, and the news station turning around and turning that quote into new news,seems... circular and wrong.

Wheeler instead said he only learned about the possible existence of such evidence through the reporter he spoke to for the FoxNews.com story. He explained that the comments he made to WTTG-TV were intended to simply preview Fox News' Tuesday story. The WTTG-TV news director did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

"I only got that [information] from the reporter at Fox News," Wheeler told CNN.

Asked about a quote attributed to him in the Fox News story in which he said his "investigation up to this point shows there was some degree of email exchange between Seth Rich and Wikileaks," Wheeler said he was referring to information that had already been reported in the media.

I mean, this is some seriously scummy shit. "When I referred to an investigation, I was referring to some nebulous thing pulled out of thin air with no credible sources."

ICO_SotC

Everyone involved in putting this story on the air at that local Fox news station in Washington needs to be fired.

I can't imagine what his family must be going through.

MogCakes

It's an obvious deflection tactic meant to distract the white supremacist faithful so they won't give attention to what's going on. It works.

EDIT: Fox is one of the biggest offenders in the information war being waged by the GOP/white supremacists. They have no shame and no honor.

Holepunch

This kind of shit worries more than Trump's presidency. Trump will be gone eventually. How the hell are we going to curtail the right-wing propaganda machine? How the hell are we going to deprogram the apparent third of America it brainwashed?

If nothing changes, I can't see how this doesn't end in violence.

So Fox is pushing the same fake story(again) disseminated by WikiLeaks(Russian intelligence front) as well as various alt-right bots.

Fishy.

Mechazawa

What about Wikileaks retweeting this today: https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/763852003093217280?lang=en

Or tweeting this about 20 hours ago: https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/864383680118235137

Wikileaks offered a $20,000 reward for information on Seth Rich's murder; have they ever done that for anyone else?

Assange also strongly hinted that Seth Rich was his source here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69jeVxHnjY

Let the world know that the comedic stylings of Mechazawa was going to drop a hot "oh baby what is you doin" meme on this post.

But Sean*O was gone from us too soon.

Tahnit

Banned
they are all very stupid people. Anyone that believes this is a stupid person. That is the only explanation.

Pizza

We're quickly hurdling into a US with two 100% different narratives on what is happening in real life

Lol

Cat Party

This kind of shit worries more than Trump's presidency. Trump will be gone eventually. How the hell are we going to curtail the right-wing propaganda machine? How the hell are we going to deprogram the apparent third of America it brainwashed?

If nothing changes, I can't see how this doesn't end in violence.
Exactly my fear.

Yeah this is some freaky ass shit. Conspiracy nuts can literally cling to anything to ground their argument. Bringing these people back to reality is nearly a lost cause.

Fox News is responsible for so much that is wrong in our country right now, both in the macro scale (hyper partisanship, fake news, Trump, Islamaphobia, etc.) to more granular things. For our country to have a chance, Fox News has to either be majorly reformed or taken off air. I don't see the latter happening, so I can only hope somehow the station stops being a self perpetuating far right propaganda outlet and an actual conservative news network. And I hope that some other station isn't created that just replicates the old Fox News and grows in popularity to the point where we are where we are now.

Forgive me for possibly being dramatic, but if Fox News continues to poison the minds of "conservatives" then this country will continue to be divided even more and will tear itself apart. And unfortunately it's creating a regressive left that while ideological is far more moral nonetheless is itself an unacceptable ideology. Far right and far left supporters more concerned with combating the ever increasing fringes of our society than any real beliefs they share is scary and it's happening now.

Wait, what happened? I've been out of the loop apparently. Last I checked, they were great for revealing a bunch of shady government shit and that what's his face was hiding out in Russia. What did I miss?

Partisanship happened. They were great for exposing the crimes of the Bush administration and now they're awful Russian shills for exposing the previous administration and publishing the DNC emails.

Matt

I knew Seth Rich.

He was not the Wikileaks source.

Anyone using his memory for such lies is a monster.

I chuckled. They've always been full of shit, they are just more direct about their intentions now than they used to be.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Partisanship happened. They were great for exposing the crimes of the Bush administration and now they're awful Russian shills for exposing the previous administration and publishing the DNC emails.

You are hilarious.

Top Bottom