• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering getting a Rear Projection TV...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But really, w/ a television set, I see no point in haveing to pay hundred after initial purchase just to keep using something I paid thousands for. I just can't justify that

That shouldn't affect your buying decision, as long as you are informed before purchase.

a $300 bulb replaced every 3-5,000 hours is hardly a big issue if you want to buy a big TV. Thats like every 3-4 years.

myzhi

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
That's what the salesman said, but then again, he didn't know what it meant to 'calibrate' a set, so take that w/ a grain...

There was a busted DLP bulb next to the 60" Samsung DLP set. It looked just like a projector bulb. One connection... Unless the thing is buried deep in the set, it looks like a DIY job.

But really, w/ a television set, I see no point in haveing to pay hundred after initial purchase just to keep using something I paid thousands for. I just can't justify that.

=> After reading the user manual, replacing the lamp does not seem that hard. Also, the lamp has a 6000 hr life which comes out to be 4 hrs every day for 4 years.

Steps:

1) Use screwdriver to remove 2 screws from side panel.

2) Remove panel.

3) Use screwdriver to remove 2 screws securing the lamp.

4) Separate lamp from TV by pulling on the handle.

5) To reinstall lamp, follow steps in reverse order.

Truelize said:
Oh and not only do most dvd players not put out a signal higher than 480p, pretty much no dvds are formatted to push out a signal higher than that either. So it's gonna be a long long time before we are using 1080i on a consistant basis.

Right, but more players are allowing you to upscale to higher resolutions. The Zenith DVB318 is a good player that will upscale DVD's to 720p and 1080i. There's even a nice hack that will turn it into a multiregion player...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
After reading the user manual, replacing the lamp does not seem that hard. Also, the lamp has a 6000 hr life which comes out to be 4 hrs every day for 4 years.

That's not good IMO. Most people use their TV far more than 4 hours a day. Plus, having worked w/ high end video projection equipment, strikes (turning off and on) is more harmful to the bulb than leaving it on. To constantly be thinking about bulb life is an annoyance, especially at that price point.

DaCocoBrova said:
That's what the salesman said, but then again, he didn't know what it meant to 'calibrate' a set, so take that w/ a grain...

There was a busted DLP bulb next to the 60" Samsung DLP set. It looked just like a projector bulb. One connection... Unless the thing is buried deep in the set, it looks like a DIY job.

But really, w/ a television set, I see no point in haveing to pay hundred after initial purchase just to keep using something I paid thousands for. I just can't justify that.

On the LCD Projection, there is a hatch that you just open up, remove and pop the new one in. Takes 5 min to replace and they tell you how to do it in the manual. It's meant to be like changing the light bulb in a lamp. Bulbs are sorta expensive, but they've come down to $200 at least. They used to be more. I just got a reasonable extended warrenty that covers the bulb too so if it ever goes out, I just get it replace. I was a bit weary about this at first, but I came to the conclusion that it's a better alternative where it stays bright and then towards the end of the bulb life it starts to degrade, from which then you can simply replace and you're good as new vs CRT Projection which just continually degrades from the first day you use it with no easy way to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom