• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console and handeld unit sales and market share numbers for 2005 (NPD)

Izzy

Banned
Link 1

Link 2

Handheld unit sales and market share numbers for 2005

Handhelds said:
Nintendo GameBoy Advance 41 percent 4.26 million
Sony PlayStation Portable 35 percent 3.63 million
Nintendo DS 23.5 percent 2.43 million

Consoles said:
Console unit sales and market share numbers for 2005
Sony PlayStation 2 5.51 million 55 percent
Microsoft Xbox 2.40 million 24 percent
Nintendo GameCube 1.56 million 15 percent
Microsoft Xbox 360 607,343 6 percent

And some people said PSP wouldn't sell at $250 - these are absolutely brilliant numbers (Squirrel Campaign in tha house! :lol ) The handeld REALLY ate into the market share! PSP had absolutely brilliant Holiday season in EU, too - I can't wait for all numbers to be released.

Not cutting the PSP and PS2 price was a genius move - wasn't it? PS2 > *.*

I really don't know what to say about x360 numbers...

Izzy

Banned
squirrel_whoa_tn.jpg

FTW!

Just means its going to be a long time before a PSP price drop.

I thought NDS was regularly outselling PSP in NA last year? Or was I mixing up JPN numbers.

Insertia

I'd say PSP is the real winner here. Priced at $250-$300 and only 6% behind GBA which is cheaper then cheap. Also, DS had a price drop and onslaught of major titles while PSP had a few here and there and more expensive bundle.

Yay PSP.

ziran

Izzy said:
Ziran, could you post DEC numbers for handelds/HW in this thread?
according to the other threads for dec:

GBA>PSP>DS

PSP ~1.12M
DS ~1.07M

total:
DS - 3.81 million
PSP - 3.63 million

PS2 ~1.5 million
Gamecube ~470,000 (may be inaccurate)
Xbox ~415,000
Xbox 360 281,441

SW sales for Dec ~$1.6B

Top console and handheld games of 2005:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6142407.html
1. Madden NFL 06 (PS2), Electronic Arts, over 2.9 million sold
2. Pokemon Emerald (GBA), Nintendo of America, over 1.7 million sold
3. Gran Turismo 4 (PS2), SCEA, over 1.5 million sold
4. Madden NFL 06 (Xbox), Electronic Arts, over 1.2 million sold
5. NCAA Footbal 06 (PS2), Electronic Arts, over 1.1 million sold
6. Star Wars: Battlefront II (PS2), LucasArts, over 1 million sold
7. MVP Baseball 2005 (PS2), Electronic Arts, over 970,000 sold
8. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (PS2), LucasArts, over 930,000 sold
9. NBA Live 06 (PS2), Electronic Arts, over 820,000 sold
10. LEGO Star Wars (PS2), Eidos, over 800,000 sold

Jonnyram

Who had the other 0.5% handheld market share?
Very surprising really, considering what a dark horse Sony is. Who'd have expected them selling at all!!

Nickel85

Code:
I'd say PSP is the real winner here. Priced at $250-$300 and only 6% behind GBA which is cheaper then cheap.

You have to consider that the PSP had a very good launch this year...

Izzy

Banned
ziran said:
according to the preview thread for dec:

GBA>PSP>DS

PSP ~1.12M
DS ~1.07M

total:
DS - 3.81 million
PSP - 3.63 million

PS2 ~1.5 million
Xbox~ 415,000
Gamecube 472,967
Xbox 360 274,000

the top 10 best-selling games of 2005:

#1 Madden NFL 2006—PS2—EA
#2 Pokemon Emerald—GBA—Nintendo
#3 Gran Turismo 4—PS2—Sony Computer Ent.
#4 Madden NFL 2006—Xbox—EA
#5 NCAA Football 06—PS2—EA
#6 Star Wars: Battlefront II—PS2—LucasArts
#7 MVP Baseball 2005—PS2—EA
#8 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith—PS2—LucasArts
#9 NBA Live 06—PS2—EA
#10 Lego Star Wars—PS2—Eidos

Thanks! :)

PS2 and PSP are the real winners. GBA sold really well, but thanks to PSP and DS its marketshare halved. Gamecube sold really well, too.

X360 and Xbox numbers are just abysmal...

Izzy

Banned
Nickel85 said:
Code:
I'd say PSP is the real winner here. Priced at $250-$300 and only 6% behind GBA which is cheaper then cheap.

You have to consider that the PSP had a very good launch this year...

Launch or not, it outsold DS by 1.2M units this year, at $250 price. This was DS' 2nd Xmas by the way - and it also sold reasonably well.

One thing is for sure - if PSP sales were this good at $250, they will explode after the price drop.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ziran said:
Gamecube 472,967
That was just AniHawk subtracting Jan-Nov from the total in the first post of this thread which has been shown to be unreliable since the DS and Xbox are both off by a large amount.

ziran said:
Xbox 360 274,000
Actually the Xbox 360 was 281,441 according to sc.

ziran

Fuzzy said:
That was just AniHawk subtracting Jan-Nov from the total in the first post of this thread which has been shown to be unreliable since the DS and Xbox are both off by a large amount.

Actually the Xbox 360 was 281,441 according to sc.
thanks, i'll edit.

Izzy

Banned
An interesting article on HW/SW sales:

Microsoft sold just 600,000 Xbox 360s in the United States in the last six weeks of the year, compared to 1.4 million units sold when the Xbox debuted in 2001, Frazier said. Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan, estimated Microsoft sold another 300,000 Xbox 360s in Europe and only 100,000 in Japan.

"The Xbox 360 numbers are abysmal,'' said Pachter. "They did a great job of creating demand, but they didn't satisfy it.''

The shortage surprised retailers and game publishers, forcing some to lower their sales expectations, and that had led most observers to expect much weaker annual totals for the industry.

Daniel Smith, a San Jose software engineer, is among the consumers who hasn't been able to find an Xbox 360.

"I more or less stopped buying Xbox games in preparation for the Xbox 360,'' noted Smith, 33. "I budgeted the Xbox 360 and games for it, and that money didn't get spent either.''

"We said the PSP would be the must-have gadget for the year and it was," said Woodrow Mosqueda, a spokesman for Sony.

Article - link

monkeymagic said:

I thought NDS was regularly outselling PSP in NA last year? Or was I mixing up JPN numbers.
Mostly Japan. PSP had big launch months March and thereafter, but from October on it and DS were pretty close to one another.

Insertia said:
Being picky, it's a difference of 6% looking at them all out of 100, yes. But comparing directly, PSP was 15% behind GBA.

Izzy said:
PS2 and PSP are the real winners. GBA sold really well, but thanks to PSP and DS its marketshare halved. Gamecube sold really well, too.

Being picky again, but of course with extra competition the share would be less, since it will be less than 99.something percent. In units, though, yeah, GBA was down 42%. DS being bigger than last year, though, Nintendo portables on the whole were down 21%.

I'd disagree about GameCube, but it's all relative. Yes, it outsold Xbox. Yes, hundreds of thousands sold. But it's also by far the GameCube's worst December; barely half of what it sold last year. Its worst full year as well, down about 800K from 2002 and 2004.

As for Xbox and X360... yeah, it's a bit of a mess. Xbox sales down due to the 360, but not enough 360 supply. So whereas last year MS sold over 4 million consoles, this year they sold just over 3 million.

Nickel85

Launch or not, it outsold DS by 1.2M units this year, at $250 price. This was DS' 2nd Xmas by the way - and it also sold reasonably well.

Same could be said about the DS. There could be the magic 99$ price,
this year will also see 2 "real" new pokemon games. So it should be a really interesting
sales battle between them.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
You are still in last place.

+Aliken+

monkeymagic said:

End of last year and not by much.
If I remember well the DS has done better from September to November

cvxfreak

Nickel85 said:
Same could be said about the DS. There could be the magic 99$ price,
this year will also see 2 "real" new pokemon games. So it should be a really interesting
sales battle between them.

Seeing as how Emerald, an upgrade, outdid almost everything this year except for Madden, I have faith Diamond and Pearl will initiate the mass switch over, and maybe the DS pulling ahead of the PSP.

Izzy

Banned
BTW

Izzy said:
I saw the news in PSP Connect thread , but I really think it deserves its own thread.

Anyway,

Must have been a hell of a December - discuss. :)

Izzy said:
I have no idea whether it's right or wrong - but I've heard Dec sales were surprisingly good.

:)

Monk

Banned
Izzy said:
Thanks! :)

But the GBA has sold at its normal rate though. If anything the DS and PSP have created their own markets with a lot of people owning two or more of the handhelds.

Fuzzy

Monk said:
But the GBA has sold at its normal rate though. If anything the DS and PSP have created their own markets with a lot of people owning two or more of the handhelds.
GBA was down almost 2.8 million in 2005 compared to 2004. It was even worse than 2001 when it launched and that was only 7 months of the year.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot December. Fixed.

Izzy said:

One thing is for sure - if PSP sales were this good at $250, they will explode after the price drop.

Umm you realize that these are 2005 numbers right? So that first christmas is not factored in at all.

Still, where are these numbers coming from? Just curious, but it just looks like a blog. Never heard of mercury news.

Izzy

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
Umm you realize that these are 2005 numbers right? So that first christmas is not factored in at all.

Still, where are these numbers coming from? Just curious, but it just looks like a blog. Never heard of mercury news.

All the numbers came from NPD and were posted by none other than Dean Takahashi. You should know who he is...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jacobi said:
LOL and people still say "WHY A DS REDESIGN DS IS SELLIN LIKE HOT SHIT"
The DS started picking up steam again when games started coming out for it over here, introducing a redesign would only hurt those sales.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Izzy said:
Indeed - but they did say shipped - not sold. Big difference right there - as you've noted. In fact there was a clarification from the Euro wing - but I can't be arsed to find that one...
:lol Sony doesn't say shipped my friend. First line of actual press release:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is on track to double the number of PlayStation Portable video game players sold in North America to around 6 million at the end of its first holiday season this year.
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=76517

Fuzzy

Izzy said:
Indeed - but they did say shipped - not sold. Big difference right there - as you've noted. In fact there was a clarification from the Euro wing - but I can't be arsed to find that one...
Why did Kaz Hirai in October say they were going to double what they had already sold in North America to 6 million? Sony had already shipped 4.13 million units to NA as of September 30th so if they wanted to double that he would've said 8 million. He said sold and he meant sold.

Izzy

Banned
jj984jj said:
:lol Sony doesn't say shipped my friend. First line of actual press release:

JJ my friend:

However, a corporate spokesperson for Sony in Europe this afternoon confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that there has been some confusion in the US media leading to incorrect stories regarding the comments made by Hirai and the US sales figures for PSP.

We were referred to the firm's statement on October 21st, when it hit the ten million shipments mark globally, as the most recent official comment on the status of PlayStation Portable in the marketplace.

In the absence of any further information about the situation, the logical assumption is that Hirai was indeed talking about shipments, not sell-through, as is standard Sony policy; and that NPD's figure of 2.5 million sales for the PSP in the USA by the end of November (plus, of course, a number of sales in Canada, bringing that figure to well over 3 million) is the fairest yardstick for the performance of the console in that market at present.

Article

Izzy said:

Lionheart said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/ne....php?story=7559

They do mean 6 million shipped and in North America, not just US, so they're less than 2.4 M short, less than 2 M most likely.

They don't:

Sony Computer Entertainment America President and Chief Executive Kaz Hirai told Reuters in October the company's goal is to double its install base by selling between 2.5 million and 3 million additional PSPs in North America by year end.

In the same article from the middle of December, Sony says that 'they are mapping to that forecast' and that 'they are very comfortable with where they are'

You don't double your user base by shipping units, that's simply impossible and therefore it's absolutely clear that they are were talking about sell throughs.

Then suddenly, one or two weeks ago, it seems one of Sonys execs looked at the actual numbers and realised that it's absolutely impossible to hit the target. Therefore Sony suddenly said that they were of course talking about shipments, although it is absolutely obvious that they weren't (again: user base /=/ shipments).

Top Bottom