• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console and handeld unit sales and market share numbers for 2005 (NPD)

JavyOO7

Nintendo is scratching their heads with the DS in North America. On one hand, they have nearly a 4 million userbase in over a year, which is pretty good I say. On the other hand, the fierce Sony brand is right on their tail with just about 100-200k shy of surpassing Nintendo's userbase.

Mario Kart / Animal Crossing / Nintendogs was a good way to end the year. Add the plethora of 3rd party titles like Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe, and Tony Hawk... and you are starting to have a winner. Thing is, while the DS has a good userbase here in NA, its success in Japan is pretty much staggering.

Should be interesting what Brain Training does for North America this year. And throw in Pokemon and Mario as well. Nintendo does need more original content here in NA though, content that appeals to the taste of NA gamers specifically.

lancubap

Elios83 said:
You're just terrible Izzy :lol :lol :lol
lancubap, dlin dlon, PSP is already in the 2.5- 3 million range in Europe.

Dlin, dlon......................................

Has Sony said something about it ?

If yes, where and when ?

Thanks !

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
I'd say PSP's a bit higher for EU, like somehwere between 2.5-3.0 million. The shortages are over and it's been building pretty quick since October (like DS). You can probably add a good 500-800k for other regions for both handhelds (Canada, Korea, AU/NZ, China, etc).
And with that, we'd hit my prediction early in the year of 9.5 million PSPs by end of 2005. w00t!

Elios83

lancubap said:

Dlin, dlon......................................

Has Sony said something about it ?

If yes, where and when ?

Thanks !

There are only official annoucements for individual countries.
Just the other day Sony France announced 500k PSP sold only in France.Maybe Izzy has precise numbers for the other countries.
Anyway DS and PSP are at the moment in a tie situation in both USA and Europe.
On the 26th of January Sony has its Q3 fiscal results announcement,so we're going to have updated and worldwide numbers there.

lancubap

The question is: what will Sony do in 2006, with only Gran Turismo 4 (a copy of PS2's version) ?

The Nintendo DS has many, many good third Party games like Resident Evil, Secret of Mana, FF III, ....and of course a lot of blockbuster made in Nintendo EAD: Super Mario Bros. 4, Pokémon Diamand & Pearl, Pokémon Dungeons must still arrive in Western world, Brain Training 1 & 2, Metroid Prime Hunters, ......

I must say: the PSP has done well in 2005, even without a true blockbuster, but in 2006, if the situation will not change, people will understand that a machine without games is like a car without oil...

lancubap said:
The question is: what will Sony do in 2006, with only Gran Turismo 4 (a copy of PS2's version) ?

It's not a copy of the PS2 version, Kaz has already said its going to be different and built with online play in mind.

Beowvlf

Banned
lancubap said:

The Nintendo DS has many, many good third Party games like Resident Evil, Secret of Mana, FF III, ....and of course a lot of blockbuster made in Nintendo EAD: Super Mario Bros. 4, Pokémon Diamand & Pearl, Pokémon Dungeons must still arrive in Western world, Brain Training 1 & 2, Metroid Prime Hunters, ......

I must say: the PSP has done well in 2005, even without a true blockbuster, but in 2006, if the situation will not change, people will understand that a machine without games is like a car without oil...
... Wow.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
lancubap said:

You're the reason Nintendo fans have such a shitty reputation.
Iwata avatar I'm obviously biased but jeez

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's not a copy of the PS2 version, Kaz has already said its going to be different and built with online play in mind.
I'm starting to doubt GT mobile even exists anymore, at least as anything other than a vague concept and bullet point for release lists... maybe they'll have the Tourist Trophy team do it on the side while PD proper works on Vision GT? Who knows, maybe PD will outsource it entirely?

What happened to GT for Boys while we're at it? Maybe it's merged with GT mobile and jumped to PSP?

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
The numbers of the two consoles are good but Nintendo has used a lot of important cards like Nintendogs, a price drop, online gaming and with all this they cannot surpass PSP sales with first generation games.

The next year Sony will counteract with Platinum games, popular sagas, a price drop an online gaming and the sales of PSP.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
USA and Europe are an issue for Nintendo. In my opinion (based on the UK and these sales figures) they have still failed to learn a few lessons and are letting the potential of the DS get wasted. They need a real ad campaign, a redesign, some retail window space (in the UK at least), and to stimulate non-gamers into trying the thing out to see if the Japanese success can be replicated.

2006 should be really interesting & important for consoles and especially how the PSP vs DS sales play out. Public perception plays a large role and if Nintendo get outplayed by Sony in Europe/US again then...

I doubt there's any possibility that Kaz will let any other company touch Gran Turismo. He cares about the series too much to just toss it off to another developer. Anyway Syphon Filter was originally shown back at E3 2004, and then never shown or talked about until a few weeks ago.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The handeld REALLY ate into the market share! "
i can hear the tiny feet of ypo and friends as i type this, but ...

are the people who buy the PSP the same people who buy the DS?

IMO, it looks like PSP carved out a new niche in handheld gaming that wasn`t there before - appealing as a media player and as a high end games machine.

I`m pretty certain if the PSP didn`t exist, then the DS would have sold at pretty much at the same level.

before the bitching starts, what sony have done is great but i guess it`s how you look at "market share" - it`s like they added a percentage and took it all for theirself. The way the Izzy quotes this makes it sound like they took all those sales off Nintendo which i`m not sure is fully the case.

(duck and cover)

lancubap

------> Archie, what's the matter ?

There's something strong on the PSP that will coming in 2006 ?

If yes, what ?

It's not the question if I'm a fan Nintendo or not: I'm overall a fan of good games, and I hate who doesn't think a moment and buys something without reason.

If a machine has good games, the problem doesn't exist.

If not, well, I will say EVER that buy it it's not a good choice. That's true for any machine: handheld or home system, old or new, with horsepower or innovation.

I think that all gamers must understand this simple point, Archie.

jarrod

Banned
Nightbringer said:
The numbers of the two consoles are good but Nintendo has used a lot of important cards like Nintendogs, a price drop, online gaming and with all this they cannot surpass PSP sales with first generation games.
Nintendo still has New Super Mario Bros, Teris DS and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl coming up. Basically the 3 best selling franchises in all of gaming history are getting new DS installments over the next 2 years. We also haven't gotten Brain Training in the US yet, plus there's tons of high profile JP 3rd party games on the table (RE DS, FF3, Castlevania 2, etc).... Nintendo's hardly even started playing their cards really. We've just gotten Mario Kart, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing so far, all arguably being "B" level franchises for Nintendo.

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt there's any possibility that Kaz will let any other company touch Gran Turismo. He cares about the series too much to just toss it off to another developer. Anyway Syphon Filter was originally shown back at E3 2004, and then never shown or talked about until a few weeks ago.
I sort of doubt outsourcing too, but it's becoming clear to Vision and not Mobile is really Kaz's priority. At this point GT mobile is vaporware, it's never even been seen really (unlike Syphon Filter early on).

Izzy

Banned
lancubap said:

I remember that Sony annonced that passed the 1 million mark in October-November, but still nothing about the two millions. So I think that PSP's sales are 1 million < PSP < 2 millions.

It is very strange the incredible succes of Nintendo DS in Europe and how many problems has the same in USA.

Ah, I'm sorry for the post in the other thread. I hope that it will not be a problem.....

Oh, I see...who knows, you could well be right! We'll see when the numbers come out... :)

NWO

Nightbringer said:
The next year Sony will counteract with Platinum games, popular sagas, a price drop an online gaming and the sales of PSP.

Geez and people wonder why the PSP has the reputation of nobody playing games for it. THE SYSTEM ALREADY HAS ONLINE GAMING FOR IT!!!!

And did anybody else realize that the PSP was greater than the DS for the month and in no time with got the PSP sales numbers. But for the past couple of months it took forever to get PSP numbers and they were behind the DS. I'm pretty sure there's a nice logical reason for this happening that has nothing to do with whichever handheld sells more. :lol

Hero

The PSP had the luxury of its launch, which was strong. And since there was only really one or two months of down time it rolled right into the holiday season to help it. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

warthog

sales whales...I couldn't care less as long as the consoles I got sell enough so that the games keep on coming. Thank you NeoGeo pocket colour :(

jarrod

Banned
warthog said:
sales whales...I couldn't care less as long as the consoles I got sell enough so that the games keep on coming. Thank you NeoGeo pocket colour :(
Actually, NGPC was exceeding expectations. It was killed thanks to Aruze, not the platform's performance.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
jarrod said:
I'm starting to doubt GT mobile even exists anymore, at least as anything other than a vague concept and bullet point for release lists... maybe they'll have the Tourist Trophy team do it on the side while PD proper works on Vision GT? Who knows, maybe PD will outsource it entirely?

I think it's being worked on to be a real killer app. It could eventually be renamed to reflect a brand new game, remember GT2000? That project started out as a remake and ended up as GT3.

Nice numbers. There's nothing harder than trying to explain to Ntards that the DS got owned by the PSP this year straight up. The PSP, with almost no software and behind by 6months, still came out on top. I prefer the DS so I'm not being a Sony fanboy, but it's just funny.

I posted these numbers on a message board that's full of Nintendo fanboys...no one has responded. LOL

jarrod

Banned
Azelover said:
I think it's being worked on to be a real killer app. It could eventually be renamed to reflect a brand new game, remember GT2000? That project started out as a remake and ended up as GT3.
Er, "GT2000" was always planned to be a new game. They just used GT2 assets to throw together a quick demo showcase.

That said, it's already clear that GT Mobile isn't going to just be a handheld GT4 port anymore. But with Vision GT on the horizon, it's also becoming clear that it's not going to PD's priority either... we'll probably get something that does the brand justice, but it's not going to be on the progressive scale of the main GT series. It's going to be more like GTA: LCS I think, a fully complete, fully featured, PS2 "level" adaptation on on the go.... but still lacking compared to the shiny new release on consoles and still not handled by the same exact team.

I could actually see PD outsourcing and overseeing R&D, in a similar manner to how R* North handled LCS. Dunno who they'd partner with though, probably another SCEI team.

PhoenixDark said:
Nice numbers. There's nothing harder than trying to explain to Ntards that the DS got owned by the PSP this year straight up. The PSP, with almost no software and behind by 6months, still came out on top.

I didn't know this was the definition of "owned". If PSP was doing to DS what DS is doing to PSP in Japan, maybe you could use the word "owned". But even then, PSP is still selling good in Japan.

There is no "owning" happening here people. Fact is, they're both hits, they're both surviving, and both will continue to do so throughout 2006.

Although personally, I think DS will outsell PSP again in January. Just a guess, nothing to back it up other than seeing tons of people go out and buy DS in the past week and a half (which isn't real proof -- hence the guess).

I'd be absolutely shocked if DS didn't outsell PSP in 2006 by a little bit though, with Pokemon (and maybe Brain Flex, if it's a hit) coming out.

I agree that DS got pwned pretty bad this year but thinking that 2006 sales of PSP > 2005 sales of PSP is foolish to say the least. Here's why.

1. PS3 Launch, People will spend their money on this rather than the PSP.
2. Sony psp sales march = 600 000
Sony PSP sales april = 350 000
Sony will NOT achieve these numbers in these two months.
I will ban bet someone they will not.
Those two months together were about 1 million units.
Sony wojn't be getting 1 million units from these two months. Period.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nightbringer said:

And maybe connectivity with PS3. I still think DS will end up outselling PSP, eventually when DS gets GB's main franchises(Diamond & Pearl) the DS will inherit the GB audience, but right now they are failing to bring "non-gaming" out of Japan with more titles. After Nintendogs they should have kept feeding that new audience with a more consistent stream of unusual titles like they did in Japan, even if they had to make them themselves. There's only so much fun you can have with your virtual puppy.

PhoenixDark said:
The PSP, with almost no software and behind by 6months, still came out on top. I prefer the DS so I'm not being a Sony fanboy, but it's just funny.

PSP was four months behind and ~1.25 of (launch of DS) these where in 2004.

Just btw.: your definition of "almost no software" is really interesting. Grand Theft Auto ... what's that ... 'almost nothing'.

Frankfurter said:
PSP was four months behind and ~1.25 of (launch of DS) these where in 2004.

Just btw.: your definition of "almost no software" is really interesting. Grand Theft Auto ... what's that ... 'almost nothing'.

GTA...what else again? :lol

I can't stand GTA, but LC is pretty fun.

Honestly, if PSP didn't sell just as good or a little better than DSin December, after GTA got released, it would have been time to worry.

I just wonder how the PS2 will affect sales of GTA on PSP and PSP itself. (Probably not much for PSP itself by June.)

PhoenixDark said:

I can't stand GTA, but LC is pretty fun.

Why use the :lol face when you're making an ass of yourself?

Burnout Legends, Madden, X-Men Legends 2, etc.

PSP has games. If you think otherwise, you're a moron.

PhoenixDark said:

I think you are able to look at a releaselist on your own. About half a dozen million selling franchises (perhaps more) should be enough to call it more than "almost no software".

Azelover said:
And maybe connectivity with PS3.

Because we know how well THAT goes over.

I still think DS will end up outselling PSP, eventually when DS gets GB's main franchises(Diamond & Pearl) the DS will inherit the GB audience

I agree with this, though. Ultimately the DS' big competition this year was the GBA. I agree that Sony has pretty much carved out their own marketshare -- are people really going into stores en masse trying to decide between a DS and a PSP? I think there's a wide enough gulf between the two systems that people want either one or the other.

But as the GBA's marketshare starts giving way to the new consoles, it's the DS -- not the PSP -- that's in position to start taking that slice of the pie. Considering that major milestones like the sub-$100 price drop and Pokemon are sure to hit in 2006, it could end up being the real transition year.

To put it another way, in 2005 Americans were willing to purchase around 7 million sub-$149 handheld gaming systems. There's no reason that number shouldn't hold steady in 2006, but Nintendo just wants the DS to take an increasingly larger share. Barring some sort of major shocking announcement, the PSP's not going to be anywhere near that price bracket in 2006.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I <3 Katamari said:
I didn't know this was the definition of "owned". If PSP was doing to DS what DS is doing to PSP in Japan, maybe you could use the word "owned". But even then, PSP is still selling good in Japan.

There is no "owning" happening here people. Fact is, they're both hits, they're both surviving, and both will continue to do so throughout 2006.

Although personally, I think DS will outsell PSP again in January. Just a guess, nothing to back it up other than seeing tons of people go out and buy DS in the past week and a half (which isn't real proof -- hence the guess).

I'd be absolutely shocked if DS didn't outsell PSP in 2006 by a little bit though, with Pokemon (and maybe Brain Flex, if it's a hit) coming out.

Bingo.

and for the people who absolutely MUST say one system owned the other, there are SO many ways you can spin it.

"The PSP owned the DS! It costs more but is selling just as well!"
"The PSP owned the DS! It doesn't have as many big games but it's selling just as well!" (and no, this isn't what I'd say. People HAVE used this excuse in this very thread.)
"The PSP owned the DS! It didn't release until april, yet still sold about on par with the DS for the whole year!"
"The DS owned the PSP! PSP was released in April, and by the time the launch hype died down, we were in the holiday season. It had the opportunity for consistently high sales for about 9 months, yet it couldn't surpass the DS!"
"The DS owned the PSP! The software is so much better on DS than PSP!"
"The DS owned the PSP despite GTA. LOL"
"The DS owned the PSP! DS is an entire generation behind the PSP and PSP still couldn't outsell it."

As I <3 Katamari said, they're both hits.

DS' future in the US seems to be a bit more easy to predict, however, what with the $99 price drop and the release of Pokemon coming.

PSP, on the other hand, has to drop to $199 first, maybe lower game prices, and we've already seen GTA released, so you can't get much of a bigger killer application (without creating a new franchise) than that. It's uncharted territory, so no one can truly say how the PSP will perform.

They're both going to be very successful machines, though.

Mrbob

Dcharlie you run those comments about the DS and PSP being seperate markets, then why do you and others take issue when I say Revolution and PS3 are not directly competing with one another.

What is with the chest thumping from Nintendo fans making ban bets now? Sheesh. Both systems will be around and be fine. But what happens in Japan doesn't necessarily mean it is going to translate the same in the west. I don't know earlier sales numbers, but did the Genesis outsell the SNES in Europe and North America?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mrbob said:
Dcharlie you run those comments about the DS and PSP being seperate markets, then why do you and others take issue when I say Revolution and PS3 are not directly competing with one another.

What is with the chest thumping from Nintendo fans making ban bets now? Sheesh. Both systems will be around and be fine. But what happens in Japan doesn't necessarily mean it is going to translate the same in the west. I don't know earlier sales numbers, but did the Genesis outsell the SNES in Europe and North America?
Until the release of DKC, yes.

Hero

So the DS got owned by the PSP when the PSP barely outsold the DS for the year?

Considering PS2's biggest franchise (GTA) had a release on PSP, I'm not sure if that's something to gloat about. Zelda, Metroid, new Mario, and most importantly, Pokemon, are all coming. What's left in the PSP's arsenal?

Hero said:

Considering PS2's biggest franchise (GTA) had a release on PSP, I'm not sure if that's something to gloat about. Zelda, Metroid, new Mario, and most importantly, Pokemon, are all coming. What's left in the PSP's arsenal?

Another GTA! :lol

Elios83

Hero said:

I find these lists pretty stupid but PSP is really starting to play,as far as games are concerned,this year.Just think at Gran Turismo,Final Fantasy Crisis Core,Level 5 new game,Kojima new game,David Jaffe new game,Devil May Cry,the next GTA,PES.
Plus all the surprises,the still unannounced games,lots of multiplatform games and remakes.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
I don't know earlier sales numbers, but did the Genesis outsell the SNES in Europe and North America?
Nope, SNES finished with a slight lead in both markets. Actually the SNES/Genesis comparison with DS/PSP is nearly perfect....

JP: gigantic lead for Nintendo
NA: slight lead for Nintendo
EU: slight lead for Nintendo

Elios83 said:
I find these lists pretty stupid but PSP is really starting to play,as far as games are concerned,this year.Just think at Gran Turismo,Final Fantasy Crisis Core,Level 5 new game,Kojima new game,David Jaffe new game,Devil May Cry,the next GTA,PES.
Plus all the surprises,the still unannounced games,lots of multiplatform games and remakes.

Well you beat me to it. It's like PSP gots nothing!! Look at this DS hot list!! Oh yeah? Look this PSP hot list!!!

*Goes back to square one*

"NO GAMES!!"

Geezus guys. Multi-systems getting good support? I would have never figured!!

Izzy

Banned
Hero said:

JP/PAL/NA - upcoming releases (only announced games/projects)

-LocoRoco
-RockMan-RockMan
-Lumines 2
-Every Extend Extra
-Gekido
-Irregular Hunter X
-LandStalker Remake
-GTA: Portable 2
-Ys
-Exit
-Intelligent Qube PSP
-Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
-Hideo Kojima PSP Project
-Team Ico PSP Game
-Level 5 PSP Project
-Sonic Team PSP Project
-Hot Shots Golf 2
-Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
-WWE SVR 06
-Untold Legends 2
-Gran Turismo 4 Mobile
-Fight Night R3
-Socom-PSP
-Devil Dice PSP
-Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
-Tales Of Eternia
-'80s remake from SEGA
-Pro Evo Soccer - WC Edition
-Football Manager 2006
-Breath Of Fire 3
-Def Jam Portable
-Capcom Classic Collections Remixed
-Bust-A-Move Deluxe
-Persona
-Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
-DJ-Max Portable
-PuyoPuyo Pop Fever 2
-Suikoden I + II
-Spectral Souls 2
-Field Commander
-Pursuit Force
-Metal Gear Acid 2
-Ghouls & Ghosts
-OutRun 2006
-Innocent Life
-Lemmings
-Katamari Damacy
-BattleField 2
-Devil May Cry Portable
-Gradius Portable
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
-Blade Dancer
-Daxter
-Brothers In Arms
-Getaway: Gangs Of London
-Monster Hunter Portable/Freedom
-Naruto: PSP
-Intial-D
-Splinter Cell Esstentials
-David Jaffe Project: HL:
-Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
-new Metal Gear Solid game

I probably missed a lot of things - but who cares...

verplant

Was there ever an update for this chart?

Code:
Month        PS2          Xbox     Gamecube     GB Advance   Nintedo DS   Comment

Oct-00       391,245          0            0             0             PS2 Launch
Nov-00       187,554          0            0             0
Dec-00       522,239          0            0             0

Jan-01       248,052          0            0             0
Feb-01       233,223          0            0             0
Mar-01       546,572          0            0             0
Apr-01       326,014          0            0             0
May-01       281,881          0            0             0
Jun-01       343,631          0            0       870,179             GBA Launch
Jul-01       351,935          0            0       360,904
Aug-01       321,774          0            0       331,134
Sep-01       341,300          0            0       324,329
Oct-01       329,041          0            0       283,120
Nov-01       908,921    711,619      647,466       923,664             Xbox / Gamecube Launch
Dec-01     1,947,234    690,817      558,200     1,708,176

Jan-02       357,971    127,034       58,712       170,550
Feb-02       414,500    138,527       76,815       408,431
Mar-02       359,163    135,402      110,251       498,948
Apr-02       195,707     77,457       81,195       304,917
May-02       463,709    228,914      111,063       314,146             PS2&Xbox (299 -> 199)
Jun-02       690,021    263,338      206,900       546,708             Gamecube (199->149)
Jul-02       435,536    154,204      137,790       324,166
Aug-02       452,412    136,669      127,301       262,736
Sep-02       531,751    171,737      165,497       272,047
Oct-02       516,622    238,200      167,746       304,449             Xbox Sega Bundle
Nov-02     1,283,811    466,962      424,256     1,198,489
Dec-02     2,686,288  1,031,140      590,477     2,137,943

Jan-03       451,067    163,313       80,757       260,161
Feb-03       487,298    196,172      166,042       279,164             Gamecube Free Game
Mar-03       399,037    163,522      163,090       696,982             GBA SP launched
Apr-03       260,997    125,147       99,775       418,149             Free Zelda GC Bundle
May-03       283,417    122,897       83,318       379,446             PS2&Xbox (99 -> 179)
Jun-03       437,210    165,861      123,196       648,033
Jul-03       310,089    136,199      126,094       481,478
Aug-03       290,793    144,205       99,907       367,391
Sep-03       322,053    169,865      163,666       408,725
Oct-03       292,685    175,082      252,901       399,800             Gamecube (149 -> 99)
Nov-03       836,679    461,881      751,291     1,186,667
Dec-03     1,937,458  1,079,426    1,158,229     2,255,267

Jan-04       330,386    190,343      130,408       293,971             Gamecube shortages
Feb-04       353,405    200,073      136,591       351,573
Mar-04       294,437    198,445      163,028       496,416             Xbox (179-149)
Apr-04       188,669    297,350       96,050       292,441
May-04       253,454    216,997       77,827       268,684             PS2 (179->149)
Jun-04       427,156    261,651      108,747       520,905
Jul-04       304,569    201,973       92,938       394,088             PS2 Shortages Reported
Aug-04       211,690    216,911      108,953       312,568
Sep-04       253,295    265,067      114,789       524,767
Oct-04       380,540    215,845      108,832       443,276             PSTwo launched, Xbox Sh. R.
Nov-04       695,876    708,097      350,155     1,117,175   479,695   Nintendo DS Launched
Dec-04       990,219  1,037,958      796,734     2,060,443   745,899

Jan-05       490,002    242,375      112,327       292,917   152,091

Totals    27,150,588 11,928,675    9,129,314    26,695,523 1,377,685
LTD Refurbishe   965    567,528      127,455    72     Refurbished Totals included in Monthly Sales

Yearly Totals
  2000     1,101,038          0            0             0         0
  2001     6,179,578  1,402,436    1,205,666     4,801,506         0
  2002     8,387,491  3,169,584    2,258,003     6,743,530         0
  2003     6,308,783  3,103,570    3,268,266     7,781,263         0
  2004     4,683,696  4,010,710    2,285,052     7,076,307 1,225,594
  2005       490,002    242,375      112,327       292,917   152,091

The "problem" with the DS in North America is more the GBA rather than the PSP.

In Japan, DS has basically replaced the GBA, but in North America, the GBA is still far and away the most popular handheld overall.

Once Nintendo gets the DS down to $99 and issues a more portable redesign, then I think you will see DS basically inherit all of the GBA sales in addition to what its already selling ... it basically becomes a new Game Boy for intents and purposes rather than a seperate type of thing it is now.

$99 is the magic price point for portables in North America ... you really have to offer a premium product (like Sony is, which garners an entirely different audience) to sell a handheld game machine here for more than the usual $99 price.

Hero

To everyone who listed PSP games coming out, good job for you. Now here's the tough part, ask yourself which of those games is going to help sell the PSP. If games like Dynasty Warriors, Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer, GTA, and Metal Gear, which usually have sales of a million plus, couldn't help sell the PSP, what will? Gran Turismo Portable has the best chance, and we'll see if FF:Core Crisis turns out at all, but the PSP has used most of its biggest PS2 franchises already. What the PSP needs is not a PS2 franchise, but a new game built from the ground up, centered around the functionality of the PSP. I still stand by that Sony and most developers are treating it like PS2 that you can play on the go as opposed to a new handheld system.

Valkyrie Profile is going to push me to get a PSP though.

Hero said:
To everyone who listed PSP games coming out, good job for you. Now here's the tough part, ask yourself which of those games is going to help sell the PSP. If games like Dynasty Warriors, Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer, GTA, and Metal Gear, which usually have sales of a million plus, couldn't help sell the PSP, what will? Gran Turismo Portable has the best chance, and we'll see if FF:Core Crisis turns out at all, but the PSP has used most of its biggest PS2 franchises already. What the PSP needs is not a PS2 franchise, but a new game built from the ground up, centered around the functionality of the PSP. I still stand by that Sony and most developers are treating it like PS2 that you can play on the go as opposed to a new handheld system.

Valkyrie Profile is going to push me to get a PSP though.

3.6M isn't enough for you? At $250 for a portable system?

Good thing there isn't a list of titles as long as my arm and a $199 price drop coming (which if it was just the core system, wouldn't even be a price drop).

I will agree that there still is no system seller on the horizon, but the PSP seems to be selling itself quite well at this point. Madden wasn't it and GTA did great (especially in Europe), but not system seller status like Mario Kart, SM64, or Nintendogs level.

But, I disagree that nothing could "sell the PSP" seeing as how it sold as well as it did.

Top Bottom