• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console and handeld unit sales and market share numbers for 2005 (NPD)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Heian-kyo said:
My point exactly. A poster with unknown, unconfirmed sources saying the info from an individual who has an insane amount of industry contacts and writes for a legitimate publication might be wrong, and everyone here jumps on it like it's the absolute truth.

I agree that print and television and internet media are not to be blindly trusted all the time, but the shit that goes on in this forum is nothing short of manical.
You're probably right, you're the one that gave us bullshit NPD Canada numbers unlike the US numbers that we've gotten here that match exactly to what Nintendo has given and credits NPD. Damn us for believing credible people. ;)

Mook1e

jarrod said:
Nintendo reported sales of 10 million for just North America and Japan. Reuters misquoted them.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10698034/
The company said Thursday that the new figures include updated tallies from Europe, where Nintendo has sold 3.5 million of the devices since its launch in March. Perrin Kaplan, vice president for marketing at Nintendo’s U.S. headquarters, had previously said the company had sold 10 million Nintendo DS systems, including about 1 million in Europe.
Ok.

Link316

Banned
jarrod said:
It's riding on faith, like PS2 did early on. Only it's not dominating like PS2 did from day one.

the PSP's actually selling at a faster pace than the PS2 did, the PSP reached 10M in less than a year, took the PS2 a little over a year to do that

jarrod said:
Brands always bring certain expectations, and Sony's done a great job building PlayStation's reputation. But what happens if those expected brands don't appear? What happens when PSP doesn't get a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest RPG for example?

that's ok cause Sony systems aren't as brand dependent as Nintendo systems, of course there's always gonna be a few mainstays like MGS or FF, but lots of brands that were popular on the PS1 (like RE, Tomb Raider, Crash, Spryo, etc) were replaced by new or different brands on the PS2 (like GTA, DMC, J&D, R&C, etc)

xaosslug

I <3 Katamari said:
Uh, what?

They stole the console throne with help from Nintendo? Is that what you tried to say?

Let's not pretend that what happened in 1997 matters today. Sony is in no way poised to do the same in due time. There is very little chance of PSP ever catching up to DS in Japan, therefore it can't "steal the throne".

I thought most Nintendo fans and XBox fans alike count Nintendo sticking with cartridges as chief among the reasons N64 came up short against PSX way back when... please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's ignore the past and blaze ahead to a bright new future where Sony has to start from "scratch" because as Jarrod pointed out; Sony has basically no brand identity--oh, wait... *ROLLS EYES*

To count Sony out, and not put even the smallest amount of blind faith in them this early on is stupid, IMO.

jarrod

Banned
xaosslug said:
OMG! FF: Before Crisis Core am gonna be PSP's saving grace, you heard it here first, GAF exclusive straight from Jarrod!!!
Unfortunately, action based spinoffs don't amount to much. Just look at Crystal Chronicles.

Mook1e said:
It's a misquote, the 10 million figure only came from NOA PR which went into NA & JP sales. Perrin never said "10 million Nintendo DS systems, including about 1 million in Europe" though, they're using different figures from old PR. Unless you can find me a direct quote?

Link316 said:
the PSP's actually selling at a faster pace than the PS2 did, the PSP reached 10M in less than a year, took the PS2 a little over a year to do that
10 million consumers still don't own a PSP, much less by mid December. PS2 was severely supply constricted for nearly it's entire first year, which has never been the case for PSP barring small stretches (less than 8 weeks) immediately after launch in Japan and the UK.

Link316 said:
that's ok cause Sony systems aren't as brand dependent as Nintendo systems, of course there's always gonna be a few mainstays like MGS or FF, but lots of brands that were popular on the PS1 (like RE, Tomb Raider, Crash, Spryo, etc) were replaced by new or different brands on the PS2 (like GTA, DMC, J&D, R&C, etc)
Sure it is, PlayStation's built up it's own brand by this point. It's when a platform fails to live up to that brand identity though that things start falling apart. Look at the shift from Super Famicom to Nintendo 64.

Mook1e

jarrod said:
It's a misquote, the 10 million figure only came from NOA PR which went into NA & JP sales. Perrin never said "10 million Nintendo DS systems, including about 1 million in Europe" though, they're using different figures from old PR. Unless you can find me a direct quote?

10 million consumers still don't own a PSP, much less by mid December.
What do you wan't a link to Nintendo's site? You know it won't be there.
I just gave you a direct quote. Get over it. NOA fucked up. That's it.

Also, how do you know 10 million consumers still don't own a PSP?

If advertised right. I think that Metroid Prime Hunters could skyrocket the DS's sales. It fits the US market perfectly. FPS + Online = Happy Casual and Hardcore gamers. Then I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo announces a new Zelda for the DS during E3. That would round out all their major franchises except Donkey Kong. Then hopefully we will also get some knew IPs that aren't just like Nintendogs, but more like what Golden Sun was for the GBA. A exciting new IP that can appeal to us as gamers.

Izzy

Banned
Mook1e said:

Because he...knows. He also knows that 'it's going to be a tough road ahead for Sony in market'.

Fuzzy said:
You're probably right, you're the one that gave us bullshit NPD Canada numbers unlike the US numbers that we've gotten here that match exactly to what Nintendo has given and credits NPD. Damn us for believing credible people. ;)

I said "might be wrong" about Dean's numbers. As Heian-kyo said, Dean is an unimpeachable source and almost certainly got his numbers directly from someone at NPD as I don't believe that the Mercury subscribes based on comments made by Mike Antonucci when the whole 57k DS sales in May caused Nintendo fans a conniption. The info I've gotten is that there is certainly a discrepancy, but at this point I wouldn't consider either one of them to be gospel at this point. Although, the Nintendo PR certainly seems to match what the running totals suggest, which seems like too much of a coincidence.

Of course, this would have to happen on Friday afternoon, so that no official report will be forthcoming until Tuesday because of the holiday.

It could go either way folks, but IMO, it doesn't make a damn bit of diffrence. They're real close and the DS has a slight lead either by 20k or 180k, but neither number is a clear or even safe lead. It's almost impossible for these two systems to continue to selling neck and neck and I'd say that by mid-2006, we might start to see some seperation one way or the other.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen such a fuss about numbers as I have from DS fans for 2005. I've seen so much crying, calling numbers wrong, accusations of number hiding, and vehement arguing that it's gotten tiring participating the NPD threads. I looked back in threads for this over the past year and in just about every NPD thread, DS fans are arguing about the numbers being incorrect or that folks are making up numbers. Yet, I don't see any of that about the GCN, Xbox, PS2, GBA or even the PSP (minus DS fans decrying Sony was hiding the numbers).

I have to admit that I'm not as intense about the NPD numbers as I used to be (really, I've actually lost some interest), and I recognize that the DS vs PSP is of great interest, but the bellyaching has gotten a little old.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
sonycowboy said:
I looked back in threads for this over the past year and in just about every NPD thread, DS fans are arguing about the numbers being incorrect or that folks are making up numbers. Yet, I don't see any of that about the GCN, Xbox, PS2, GBA or even the PSP (minus DS fans decrying Sony was hiding the numbers).
Heian-kyo, gaybrush's numbers.

Anyways, I believe a lot of it was sparked by Sony's 10million announcement.

I think you're beeing a bit unfair, a lot of it this time came from a pretty vocal junior member that has now been banned.

AniHawk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I'd like to know some SW numbers rather than reading a few pages about DS-PSP difference...

DQ8, SotC, RE4...you know...interesting stuff... :)

That and how much ToS will slaughter ToL.

sonycowboy said:
Also, I don't think I've ever seen such a fuss about numbers as I have from DS fans for 2005. I've seen so much crying, calling numbers wrong, accusations of number hiding, and vehement arguing that it's gotten tiring participating the NPD threads. I looked back in threads for this over the past year and in just about every NPD thread, DS fans are arguing about the numbers being incorrect or that folks are making up numbers. Yet, I don't see any of that about the GCN, Xbox, PS2, GBA or even the PSP (minus DS fans decrying Sony was hiding the numbers).

There's been as much noise on the other side, as always...except for that nutcase that doesn't speak English these past couple of days. That's why I generally lurk in these threads (the bickering, not the bad English).

Hero said:
To everyone who listed PSP games coming out, good job for you. Now here's the tough part, ask yourself which of those games is going to help sell the PSP.

You can never--NEVER--look at an upcoming games list and count everything out. A franchise could take off at any point (a la GTA3), or an original IP could become the next big thing (a la Pokemon).

Just because PSP versions of PS2 hits aren't driving the thing the way they were 'supposed' to doesn't mean it has no chance of having a mega-hit. The system is selling well even without one, everywhere, and its software is doing well, too, outside of Japan.

jarrod

Banned
Mook1e said:
That's not a direct quote, probably becasue there is no actual quote. MSNBC misquoted, they used old PR figures mingled with old quotes, they fucked up. Get over it.

Mook1e said:
Basic math really. Unless you expect 1+ million sold in the first 2 weeks of January?

Izzy said:
Because he...knows. He also knows that 'it's going to be a tough road ahead for Sony in market'.
Well, I'm not blinded by faith. Japan's always been central to any PlayStation's success, not just within the region but because of the unparalleled varitey it's software brings to PlayStation's worldwide portfolio. If things don't change quick, and PSP software starts selling, JP support is sure to dry up and PSP's software portfilio will start looking more like Xbox than PlayStation.

Also, nerding >>>> spinning. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
It bears strinking similarities to Genesis, Xbox and GameCube. Much moreso than it does PlayStation, PlayStation 2 or any Game Boy. ;)
You've cobbled together a Frankenstein's monster of an analogy from various small bits and pieces and stopping before doing the same with bits and pieces of PS, PS2 and GB is just arbitrary on your part. Your analogy resembles nothing more than the reality you wish to create.

If things don't change quick, and PSP software starts selling, JP support is sure to dry up and PSP's software portfilio will start looking more like Xbox than PlayStation.
This has been part of the PSP doomsayer's mantra for the better part of a year now - since this is your reality distortion we're dealing with here, maybe you can tell us what you define as "quick"?

Pimpwerx

Bud said:
At this rate, how long will take for Sony to break even on the PSP (if the prod. costs are known)?
This is always a crapshoot, and don't let anyone tell your otherwise. Don't believe any cost estimates unless they have an audit sheet to accompany them. Some comments from Sony early last year pointed at profitability coming over the summer. Some think they're still losing money. Some think they've always made money. I think it doesn't matter a lick. Money is no doubt being made on the device. It's the rest of Sony Corp. that's been having financial problems. PEACE.

Why are DS fans disputing the PSP? Its a success and outsold the DS this year, bottom line. It might be $120 more than the DS but look at the visual and audio differences. The PSP packs in a lot of features, something that the DS does not do. Built in online gaming, MP3 and movie playability, etc. There's no reason to think that the PSP wouldn't be successful. The media likes it because its a true evolution of gaming, not the archaic approaches Nintendo does like with the DS.

PSP will do well in Japan because Japanese developers can count on successful sales in Europe and America. Its not like the PSP is flatlined over in Japan either, going by the Media Create sales. The PSP will hold its own, even if it never does outpace the DS in total sales numbers worldwide.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
You've cobbled together a Frankenstein's monster of an analogy from various small bits and pieces and stopping before doing the same with bits and pieces of PS, PS2 and GB is just arbitrary on your part. Your analogy resembles nothing more than the reality you wish to create.
I've just made some broad comparisons in terms of general market penetratction and performance in comparison to competition. Why does "Sony's GameCube" bother you so profoundly?

kaching said:
This has been part of the PSP doomsayer's mantra for the better part of a year now - since this is your reality distortion we're dealing with here, maybe you can tell us what you define as "quick"?
It's really only been since this fall that PSP software's dropped entirely off the map. Launch was excellent, spring had some high notes, summer was slow (as usual) but the lack of pickup in the fall is simply alarming.

I'd define "quick" as in needing to change immediately. How do you define "a year" though?

jarrod

Banned
The Experiment said:
PSP will do well in Japan because Japanese developers can count on successful sales in Europe and America. Its not like the PSP is flatlined over in Japan either, going by the Media Create sales.
Software sales have flatlined for the most part. And interesting enough, Japanese made software isn't selling all that well in western territories either. PES in Europe is about the only high selling JP made game in western markets since PSP launch.

xaosslug

jarrod said:
I've just made some broad comparisons in terms of general market penetratction and performance in comparison to competition. Why does "Sony's GameCube" bother you so profoundly?

It's really only been since this fall that PSP software's dropped entirely off the map. Launch was excellent, spring had some high notes, summer was slow (as usual) but the lack of pickup in the fall is simply alarming.

I'd define "quick" as in needing to change immediately. How do you define "a year" though?

:lol

Mook1e

jarrod said:
That's not a direct quote, probably becasue there is no actual quote. MSNBC misquoted, they used old PR figures mingled with old quotes, they fucked up. Get over it.

Basic math really. Unless you expect 1+ million sold in the first 2 weeks of January?
Multiple sites quoted NINTENDO (Perrin Kaplan, vice president for marketing @ NOA) who used 1 million units sold for Europe in their 10 million announcement specifically. Get the fuck over it already. Nintendo fucked up and reported the wrong numbers. Then NINTENDO EUROPE came across and said NOA made the mistake. This is old news and your damage control and spinning will not change it.
All i'm saying is that if you want to point blame for the mistake, look to NOA and not the AP.

Show me your basic math with no numbers outside of the USA, JP and the UK.
If you don't have the rest of the world's numbers, you can't say you know shit.

The Experiment said:
Why are DS fans disputing the PSP? Its a success and outsold the DS this year, bottom line. It might be $120 more than the DS but look at the visual and audio differences. The PSP packs in a lot of features, something that the DS does not do. Built in online gaming, MP3 and movie playability, etc. There's no reason to think that the PSP wouldn't be successful. The media likes it because its a true evolution of gaming, not the archaic approaches Nintendo does like with the DS.

PSP will do well in Japan because Japanese developers can count on successful sales in Europe and America. Its not like the PSP is flatlined over in Japan either, going by the Media Create sales. The PSP will hold its own, even if it never does outpace the DS in total sales numbers worldwide.
I agree with you about the PSP's success, although I wouldn't call Nintendo's approach archaic.

Nintendo GameBoy Advance 41 percent 4.26 million
Sony PlayStation Portable 35 percent 3.63 million
Nintendo DS 23.5 percent 2.43 million

Many Nintendo fans dismissed the PSP when it was announced, just like they did the PSX. When the PSP was released it should have been clear to everyone that it would be very popular in the US; imo Sony aimed it directly at the US, while the DS seemed more aimed towards Japan's tastes.

As a fan of videogames, I am glad both systems are doing well. Nintendo fanboys need to stop trying to be elitists and acknoledge that the PSP is here to stay, at least in the US. Two years ago Nintendo owned 100% of the handheld market. According to these numbers, it's down to 65%. Now, to be fair the only way they had to go was down anyway. But the point here is that Nintendo has competion, and it's not going to be easy. I think the DS will outsell the PSP this year due to Pokemon, but it's not like it's going to be the blowout Nintendo fans expected.

jarrod

Banned
Mook1e said:
Multiple sites quoted NINTENDO (Perrin Kaplan, vice president for marketing @ NOA) who used 1 million units sold for Europe in their 10 million announcement specifically. Get the fuck over it already. Nintendo fucked up and reported the wrong numbers. Then NINTENDO EUROPE came across and said NOA made the mistake. This is old news and your damage control and spinning will not change it.
All i'm saying is that if you want to point blame for the mistake, look to NOA and not the AP.
It's still a misquote, the 1 million figure was outdated and never used by any Nintendo rep in relation to the 10 million figure. Can you link me to these "multiple sites" who's sources are different from this article, yet give the same information?

Mook1e said:
Show me your basic math with no numbers outside of the USA, JP and the UK.
If you don't have the rest of the world's numbers, you can't say you know shit.
I can arrive at a good idea, given the markets you mentioned account for ~80% of the world market.

JP~ 2.6 million
US~ 3.6 million
UK~ 0.8 million

Most estimates placed PSP around roughly 9 million sold through by the end of 2006. These figures would jive with that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
It's not the comparison that bothers me. Its inaccurate so it lacks merit in large part and isn't really worth worrying about on its own. Its the intent behind the comparison on your part that just causes me to lose respect for you each time you utter it.

I'd define "quick" as in needing to change immediately.
Your previous tune about launch has been that none of the PSP launch games could score the high sales that Nintendo handheld software could or the sales some of the existing franchises had previously achieved on other Playstation hardware. No reference to "excellent" sales and certainly no reference to spring having some "high notes".

That PSP software sales in JP have been low without significant upward or downward change is objectively clear, but this situation has been described as dire and in need of quick/immediate change almost since it started by yourself among others. Still waiting for the hammer to fall, "immediately".

How do you define "a year" though?
I define a year as 12 months. I define the "better part of a year" as anything greater than 50% of that.

snatches

Listen Jarrod, I like Nintendo and I think the DS is a superior product to the PSP from a gamer's perspective but don't be too quick to discount the PSP's slow growth LTD. Most of the issue in NA is due to price, IMO. When the PSP is $149USD it will be a whole different story.

Nintendo's market share has no where to go but down in the portable space. Hopefully they can grow the market and maintain the sales figures they require to keep profitable, and continue making the world's best software. My two bits.

Izzy

Banned
jarrod said:
It's still a misquote, the 1 million figure was outdated and never used by any Nintendo rep in relation to the 10 million figure. Can you link me to these "multiple sites" who's sources are different from this article, yet give the same information?

I can arrive at a good idea, given the markets you mentioned account for ~80% of the world market.

JP~ 2.6 million
US~ 3.6 million
UK~ 0.8 million

Most estimates placed PSP around roughly 9 million sold through by the end of 2006. These figures would jive with that.

I suspect those are last year figures since the current JP PSP number > 2.8m

Anyway, let me give you a hand (only with announced figures, mind you):

US = 3.63m (by the end of the year)
UK = 795k (by the end of the year)
France > 500k (by December 25, 2005)

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
It's not the comparison that bothers me. Its inaccurate so it lacks merit in large part and isn't really worth worrying about on its own. Its the intent behind the comparison on your part that just causes me to lose respect for you each time you utter it.
You seem to worry if it an awful depite that. Why exactly is so wildly inaccurate? Why exactly would PSP's market prefromace have more in common with PS/PS2/GB rather than MD/GC/Xbox?

kaching said:
Your previous tune about launch has been that none of the PSP launch games could score the high sales that Nintendo handheld software could or the sales some of the existing franchises had previously achieved on other Playstation hardware. No reference to "excellent" sales and certainly no reference to spring having some "high notes".

That PSP software sales in JP have been low without significant upward or downward change is objectively clear, but this situation has been described as dire and in need of quick/immediate change almost since it started by yourself among others. Still waiting for the hammer to fall, "immediately".
I mentioned PSP launch sales being somewhat dissapointing compared to PS2 sales for the same brands. But I never mentioned sales being so dramatically dissapointing as to potnetially dry up support until this fall/winter when we saw high profile bomb after bomb. Katamati, Irregular Hunter X, Sengoku Musou, MG AC!D 2... these games are selling between 10-30k here. During launch and spring brands of this caliber were pulling 100-200k. It was games like Puzzle Bobble or Rengoku that were manaing in the teens, not Rockman and Metal Gear... this ship is sinking, no question.

kaching said:
I define a year as 12 months. I define the "better part of a year" as anything greater than 50% of that.
Well then, it's simply your evalutions, not your definitions, that are incorrect.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
You seem to worry if it an awful depite that.
As I already said, it's got nothing to do with that - it's your motives, which are shameful for someone who pointed out just a little earlier that nerding >>>> spinning.

Why exactly is so wildly inaccurate? Why exactly would PSP's market prefromace have more in common with PS/PS2/GB rather than MD/GC/Xbox?
I didn't suggest it had more in common with one group or the other. Your attempts to compare market performance of the PSP to previous game devices are based on comparisons of single facets which don't form a complete whole, even after you've strung them together. If you have to try to cobble together a comparison of market performance for one device against an aggregate of several, warning bells should be going off, unless you're intent is disingenuous.

I mentioned PSP launch sales being somewhat dissapointing compared to PS2 sales for the same brands.
Good, so we both remember that "excellent" was never a word you've used with JP PSP software sales up until this thread where it seems to suit your argument.

But I never mentioned sales being so dramatically dissapointing as to potnetially dry up support until this fall/winter when we saw high profile bomb after bomb. Katamati, Irregular Hunter X, Sengoku Musou, MG AC!D 2... these games are selling between 10-30k here. During launch and spring brands of this caliber were pulling 100-200k. It was games like Puzzle Bobble or Rengoku that were manaing in the teens, not Rockman and Metal Gear... this ship is sinking, no question.
Now, what are the "high points" you're thinking of from among JP PSP spring software releases? Because I don't think there was anything released outside of the launch period performing notably better than what we're seeing now since the fall.

Looking at CVX's thread about up to date tie ratios for PSP and DS in Japan, software sales for the PSP increased 82% from the first half of the year to the second half of the year.

Well then, it's simply your evalutions, not your definitions, that are incorrect.
Not looking like it so far.

I hope people don't actually believe Sony will maintain that 35% market share.
Yes PSP is here to stay but it will not stay with such a high market share because Sony will not re-achieve the launch sales of march and April. Period.

Dalthien

Earthstrike said:
Yes PSP is here to stay but it will not stay with such a high market share because Sony will not re-achieve the launch sales of march and April. Period.
Yeah - but it will have Jan & Feb this year to help offset the losses in Mar & Apr. Plus, I expect GBA sales to fall in 2006 compared to 2005, so the PSP handheld marketshare could definitely maintain, or increase in 2006.

Earthstrike said:

If anything, it will increase. The PSP will get more games and that means it will appeal more to gamers. Its almost a guarantee that Sony will drop the price of the PSP this year. Maybe it will be $229 or $199 but the PSP is here to stay and will not do worse over time, it will do better. When it gets to be 2007 and it will be $149 or less, it will sell in the hundreds of thousands a month. Going by the 2006 release lists, the system has a healthy future...and that means lots of gamers' dollars will go towards hardware and software.

Please Nintards, get over yourselves. Just be glad the PSP isn't the DS destroyer people thought it might have been in 2004 or better yet, get a PSP. Its a good handheld.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
As I already said, it's got nothing to do with that - it's your motives, which are shameful for someone who pointed out just a little earlier that nerding >>>> spinning.
Questioning motive? On GAF? Isn't that sort of like asking a shark why it hunts?

May I ask you then, why do you feel the need to continually question me? Where's the exact motive in that? Searth for truth? Defending mother? What exactly?

kaching said:
I didn't suggest it had more in common with one group or the other.
You did when you called my statement "inaccurate"? Or were you not actually questioning the accuracy of PSP having "similarities to Genesis, Xbox and GameCube. Much moreso than it does PlayStation, PlayStation 2 or any Game Boy."? Where exactly would be the inaccuracy in that statement?

kaching said:
Your attempts to compare market performance of the PSP to previous game devices are based on comparisons of single facets which don't form a complete whole, even after you've strung them together. If you have to try to cobble together a comparison of market performance for one device against an aggregate of several, warning bells should be going off, unless you're intent is disingenuous.
Ah, so this isn't isn't really about motive or accuracy, it's really about method. Well, feel free to question that... just try not to get sidetracked in "motive" or "accuracy" next time.

kaching said:
Good, so we both remember that "excellent" was never a word you've used with JP PSP software sales up until this thread where it seems to suit your argument.
Not that exact word, though any notion that I've adjusted my opinions on PSP's software performance to suit this argument would be "incorrect".

kaching said:
Now, what are the "high points" you're thinking of from among JP PSP spring software releases? Because I don't think there was anything released outside of the launch period performing notably better than what we're seeing now since the fall.
Tales of Eternia, PoPoLoCrois, Sarugetchu, Namco Museum, Bleach... all games that were selling 90 to 200k total, and outside Tales none of these are big league brands. Plus launch games like Mingol and Shin Sangoku Musou were still hanging in the top 10 well into February. PSP had a solid launch and resisted the post launch drought DS suffered, things really didn't slow until the summer. Which in itself isn't such a big deal, most platforms slow then.... but then most platforms tend to pick up where they left off again in the fall.

kaching said:
Looking at CVX's thread about up to date tie ratios for PSP and DS in Japan, software sales for the PSP increased 82% from the first half of the year to the second half of the year.
That increase isn't proportional to the accelerated release schedule though. These days there's more PSP games selling worse than in the first half. And if you added the 3 weeks of launch to that first half, there'd likely be no increase at all.

Fact of the matter is that high profile brands are selling peanuts on PSP in Japan. There's a few exceptions here and there (Monster Hunter, Winning Eleven), but 6 months ago had anyone predicted franchises like Metal Gear, Sengoku Musou or Rockman moving under 50,000 units on PSP, they'd have been laughed at.

kaching said:
Not looking like it so far.
Please, you're not even sure what you're questioning exactly. Something about "Sony's GameCube" seems to just hit the right button is what it's really looking like.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
But, jarrod, I haven't been questioning your motive at all. Its clear that your intent is to heckle the PSP's performance via these half-baked comparisons. I know you're capable of more meritous conversation on the topic but if you want to hide behind the lame duck defense that "It's GAF" for marching to the cliff like too many others here in doing more to shitcan rather than elevate the conversation, that's just begging to be called out.

jarrod

Banned
Kaching, there's no hidden defense here. What's the point in a gaming forum if you can't have a little fun here and there. Sports-like rivalries brewing in sales threads seems like the perfect outlet for that... if you're seriously looking for "meritous conversation" or "elevated conversation" I'd suggest looking in other sorts of threads. You know full well what you're getting into in here.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jarrod said:
Kaching, there's no hidden defense here. What's the point in a gaming forum if you can't have a little fun here and there. Sports-like rivalries brewing in sales threads seems like the perfect outlet for that... if you're seriously looking for "meritous conversation" or "elevated conversation" I'd suggest looking in other sorts of threads. You know full well what you're getting into in here.

jarrod are you saying that serious conversations can't be had in sales thread? Are u saying that u go out of your way NOT to have a serious conversation in a sales thread?

jarrod

Banned
DarienA said:
jarrod are you saying that serious conversations can't be had in sales thread? Are u saying that u go out of your way NOT to have a serious conversation in a sales thread?
I'm saying they're a good outlet to to have a little fun and stir some shit. I'd rather try and keep serious discussion to the threads about actual games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So you can't elevate the conversation a bit more than you normally do and still have a little fun, Jarrod? I didn't say anything about turning this into a PhD dissertation.

jarrod

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
That jarrod's a tool should be news to nobody by now.
Grow up.

kaching said:
So you can't elevate the conversation a bit more than you normally do and still have a little fun, Jarrod? I didn't say anything about turning this into a PhD dissertation.
Sure, but these are the sorts of threads that inherently attract mudslinging and rivalries, it's almost ceremonial... again, you know full well what you're getting into when you click the topic title. Don't like it, then don't click it.

I'm new here, but why the dumping on Jarrod? He is pro-Nintendo, but not being any more obnoxious than the pro-Sony people in this thread. Enlighten me why he is a whipping boy here.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
VeryHungryCaterpillar said:
I'm new here, but why the dumping on Jarrod? He is pro-Nintendo, but not being any more obnoxious than the pro-Sony people in this thread. Enlighten me why he is a whipping boy here.

Because no one is allowed to defend Nintendo here. They're d00med, didn't you hear? =P

jarrod

Banned
From elevated ambitions to cheeky antagonism in one fell swoop.

I guess hypocrisy's not as immediately clear as irony?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It was an observation, jarrod. It's not antagonistic on my part just because the fatal flaw in fostering petty rivalries was exposed so spectacularly by your own words.

Top Bottom