• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles need to become the Chromebooks of PC gaming to disrupt Steam.

12Dannu123

For those who don't know what a Chromebook is, it's basically a lightweight and modern PC that is fast, reliable, secure and "just works" that's what Microsoft should position Xbox Consoles as, as secure, reliable Console PCs that are very cheap in price that just works. Xbox Consoles already have the very cheap price. All they need is to merge Windows 10 and XB OS and get mouse and keyboard support and package it inside the box, then you got a Chromebook-like Xbox Gaming PC.

People DO want a device that offers the benefits of PC Gaming (Mouse and keyboard games) and Console gaming that is locked down, and just works. Valve won't be able to compete because they almost entirely rely on Windows to keep relevant, and they don't own the OS. Valve won't be able to make a locked down Steam device since they're only an application. Even SteamOS wasn't the right experience since it's open and if it's open Valve can't subsidise it.

Last edited:

nowhat

People DO want a device that offers the benefits of PC Gaming (Mouse and keyboard games) and Console gaming that is locked down, and just works.
Do they, really? I mean, certainly such people exist (and some games already support kb+m), but is this a feature Joe Average is after? Is it really a selling point for the general public? Besides, if that's what you're after, get a Tac Pro (for PS4, I'm assuming similar device(s) exist for One).

I bought a Chromebook earlier this year. Asus C302 flipbook. And I love it! But I use it more to fill the gap between phone and a PC. So its more like a very capable tablet.

My #1 favorite thing about it is the battery life. This thing goes for days without charging.

BTW. Valve literally tried to do the same thing as ChromeOS with SteamOS.

Google just has been far far more sucessfull.

ChromeOS is open too just like SteamOS. Both are very much just polished up Linux distos. ChromeOS is just very very nicely polished in its current state with its feature set.

Last edited:
Do Chromebooks actually work now? Remember in my first year of college they had just came out and they were utterly useless and many professors banned them due to being "disruptive", short for their owners raging in the center of class being unable to do anything due to poor wifi connection or unable to view a file the rest of the class was viewing.

Also in my experience console players absolutely do not want mouse and keyboard support due to the performance disparity in competitive games.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Honestly if the Microsoft Edge app just had proper KB&M support on Xbox One it would be a pretty decent all-one-device.

Top Bottom