• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contra Rogue Corps is coming to Switch!

After watching the interview footage, I'm even less certain about this game.

Maybe missions will have different base setups, but from what was shown, the timer and lack of end-stage boss isn't what I'm looking for in a Contra game. I hope the single player doesn't exist largely to give players a jump on upgrading characters for online PVP.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The version in that video is the PS4 version. Maybe that’s why.
Oh, this is coming to PS4? I'll definitely get that version instead of the Switch one (like I was originally planning).
  • Local Couch Co-Op modes with up to four players on all platforms**
**Switch players can play local wireless multiplayer. Each player is required to have a system and game.

Switch, ya dun goofed.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The ranking/rewards at the end of the stage reminds me of Survive. I tried getting confirmation on the engine.

I had hoped the series would go for more of a Gears of War aesthetic (especially after I saw how well Konami implemented melee into Metal Gear Survive) cause I think Contra can pick up where gears 1 & 2 left off.

I get deadnation feels from this, which isn’t bad. Hopefully this is fun.

Yeah, same. I got strong Dead Nation / Alienation vibes for sure.

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese what do you think? I know you're an Alienation fanatic.
Yeah I am down
giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
does this play like a twin stick shooter? seems like a static camera w twin stick controls. almost more like a Smash TV style?

the level looks very dull. this isn't very inspiring. the original games were eye catching, explosive, etc.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
does this play like a twin stick shooter? seems like a static camera w twin stick controls. almost more like a Smash TV style?

the level looks very dull. this isn't very inspiring. the original games were eye catching, explosive, etc.
It’s a twin stick shooter. Apparently the later levels are crazy. I’ll reserve my opinion because early levels/tutorials are always more vanilla than the rest of the game.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Bottom Line: As long as the gameplay is fast and furious and there are cool surprises, it should be a fun videogame. There are some questions that need to be resolved, however. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Upside: Reminds me of an early Sega Dreamcast game called Expendable, which was a lot of fun. I also like the weirdness of the characters like the Panda and the promise of some really intense boss fights. 4P multiplayer is also promising. Also, in an age of overly cautious remakes and revivals, give credit to Konami for trying to bring Contra into 3D. The series has struggled outside of its 2D roots.

Downside: It sure doesn't look like Contra to me, unless you remember that one that was released on Saturn & Playstation to a rather cool reception. This feels more like a lot of the twin-stick shoot-em-ups released on iOS. Or, to put it less kindly, it looks like a generic project with the Contra name slapped onto it.

JCK75

I love the collection that dropped, but I find it very hard to get excited for this.. it just doesn't even mildly resemble Contra.
Give me a 2.5D sidescroller that feels like the first game in theme.

According to Digital Foundry (timestamped YouTube), the game is being created by a Japanese team, using the Unity engine; they're also only targeting 30fps.

Certain comments in the video almost makes me wonder, if this wasn't originally a different game that's since been repurposed into a Contra title.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Tim Gettys from Kinda Funny said it was fun but ugly. Thankfully , the graphics aren’t final.

Makes me wonder if Konami is abandoning the FOX Engine. Really weird that they’re not using it here but using it for PES.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

Nobuya Nakazato being behind this (Contra 3, Contra Hard Corps, Shattered Soldier, and Neo Contra) is largely a good thing to me although I was never a fan of the pacing for Shattered Soldier. If anything, at first glance this reminds me of Neo Contra a bit. Speaking of Neo Contra, I still remember the first time I played that with my brother (Player 2 since the original Contra) and laughing our asses off at the "Animal Contra" talking dog. Some of that game feels like it was dug up from beneath a pile of cocaine. (Running on helicopter rotors, etc).

KOMANI

KOMANI

How do you feel about the game after seeing the video?

The later part sold me that it’s Contra (change of perspectives, chaotic environment, unusual enemy fire patterns). But it looks like a mobile game. Running on Unity and aiming for 30fps. At first, I didn’t understand why it’s not using the Fox Engine, but now I hear the Fox Engine is hard to develop for. Another reason could be this is the Bomberman R team, who have experience with the Unity engine. Still, $45 (which includes the season pass with 4 monthly updates) doesn’t sound bad.

Last edited:

BTHR Zero X

still looking like a bad mobile game, still looks more like a Mercs game then Contra. yeah think I'll be passing up on this one.

MiguelItUp

I mean, the PVP looks surprisingly decent, but nothing about it says or screams Contra. That recent gameplay video looks incredibly ho-hum. Again, nothing that really reminds you about Contra other than that jump animation and that you're shooting things, lol.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Found out the game is being developed by Toylogic. That explains a lot. They’ve done Happy Days, Happy Dungeon, that ubisoft Turtles game, but also helped on Evil Within and Smash Brawl (among a few).

KOMANI

KOMANI

Liked what i saw. Looks promising. I’m picking this up regardless. I’m going to support this game in order to get the IPs we want in the type of games we want.

Because a Contra game in the Gears of War style… I would buy that.

(Laughs) I think a lot of people would… yeah, we do have plans. Contra went away for a while. We’ve brought it back. I hope people enjoy the one we’re about to release, Rogue Corps. Who knows where Contra can go after that. I think there can be some really exciting directions for us to go with it.

So I’m going to ask one more question. This is a difficult question…

Okay, I’m bracing myself.

No, it’s not that difficult. It’s just a tough question, and I say this with all due respect. On occasion when Konami have outsourced development duties for their bigger franchises such as Silent Hill, such as Contra when Appaloosa handled development duties on the PS1, they’ve basically had disastrous results. I know that it’s not the same developer but it’s still the whole “we’re going to hand development duties over to someone else (like Toylogic)”. What sort of quality assurances can you give fans who don’t want a repeat of whatever has come before with regards to Konami shifting development duties to external studios and not getting the desired results for their beloved franchises?

I mean this is very much a game by Nakazato-san. He lives and breathes Contra. He’s been involved in Contra since The Alien Wars. I think he’s been involved in pretty much all of them in some capacity, so it’s a franchise that’s very close to him and I think, the fact that he’s involved and he chose to take this direction to get the game made should hopefully instill faith in the fans. We all want to see a really successful Contragame. We all want to see it retain what makes it Contra. You know, the over-the-top fun, and that’s what Rogue Corps delivers. So hopefully when fans get their hands on it, they’ll agree that it’s a good, fun, entertaining game.

That IGN video does nothing for me. Along with some of the comments in the IGN piece, there's also this from the Prankster101 interview: "And obviously the perspective has changed, but it was done with the idea of it being a four-player online game." I mentioned before that aspects of what's been shown and said about the game makes it sound like online multiplayer was the real focus. We'll see how things turn out, but nothing I'm seeing or reading makes me want this game, even less so as a new entry in the Contra franchise.

Wonko_C

Tried out the PS4 demo, It's an Alienation rip-off with severe input lag and inexplicably runs at 30fps with such graphics. It would be an OK gane to go through with friends once but not for $40, this should be $10.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I tried the demo on the switch and uninstalled in less than 5 minutes. Horribly blurry graphics with high input lag and an in my opinion bad control scheme.

Katsura

I tried the demo on the switch and uninstalled in less than 5 minutes. Horribly blurry graphics with high input lag and an in my opinion bad control scheme.
That's exactly what i did. That demo is complete shit. What the fuck where they thinking

Top Bottom