• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial Opinion – PS4 case and control design seems rushed and cheap

I have both consoles and I am only speaking from experiences with both consoles over the last couple of weeks
From a gaming point of view both consoles are great but there are aspects of the ps4 design which seemed very rushed or cheap and its been bugging the crap out of me if anyone else is having the same issues.

We are also lucky enough to have 2 ps4 consoles at our place and one xbone so it’s not related to a single faulty console.

TLDR VERSION
I hate the design of the ventilation on the ps4 and the ds4 feels like a fat ds3 with flaky bits and a crappy battery.

The Fans

The Xbone is whisper quite…its summer at the moment in Aus and we have had a couple of 35 degree days with high humidity and my house feels a little hot at times …in saying that I have not once heard the xbone fan kick in after hours of gameplay in this weather..i have to put my hand above the vent to check to see if the fan was working

As for the PS4 ……the First thing I noticed when I booted up the ps4 for the first time was the fan sounded exactly like the ps3 slim and once I started to game with it the fan started to creep up to the same audible levels of the ps3 and in some cases
It got quite loud (Killzone)….all 3 of our consoles had the same noise level and a mate who also got a ps4 commented that he could hear it over a pedestal fan that he had running in his room….which brings me to the next point

PS4 does not like being put in a cabinet

The PS4 does not like being placed in tv cabinets or entertainment units….which is where a majority of people would put them
I have my ps4 and xbone in an Ikea bookcase lied on its side..to give you an idea its basically one of these turned on its side
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50185483/

The TV sits on top and all my consoles sit in the bottom

The clearance above the consoles is about 35 to 40cm and at the rear there is around 30cm from the back of the console to the wall..and there is also a gap between the cabinet which air flows out of.I have an xbox 360 and ps3 in 2 of the boxes so I have a rough base to go off in terms of sound.

I have tried the xbone in this cabinet and I have also used in another rooms tv cabinet which has reduced room above the console which is one of these http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/S09927114/

It has the back plate removed as I got sick of running cords through a tiny hole

On both occasions I have not heard the console or noticed any excessive heat coming out of the location where its stored..the ps4 has also been in both locations and while its not as loud in the bigger ikea cabinet (have tried in both horizontal and vertical orientations) it sounds like a jet once it goes into a smaller space
Which is weird because the cabinet has ample space on the sides and at the rear (70cm wide 20cm high 50 cm deep).

The only way I have been able to reduce the noise is to pull the ps4 out of the cabinet and place it on a crate in the middle of the floor which is sort of crap….the furniture I own is certainly not the most exotic space restricting furniture for consoles and even the xbone which is as fat as an old VCR does not give off as much noise and it has even less space to work with.

Coming from 4 rrod xboxs and 2 YLOD ps3s I have made sure the choices in furniture are the best when it comes to having a cool environment for your gaming consoles

My Friend who also owns the ps4 has also realised he cant have it placed next to his tv as the heat from the rear of the TV makes his ps4 fan kick in or he cant have it in his entertainment cabinet as he has to turn off his satellite box as the heat from that also kicks in the fans.

The other ps4 in the house also has to be away from the tv and in a fully open area to remain at a low fan speed level and in when i tested it in the same spots the same issues came up.

I am pretty certain MS spent a crapload of money in designing cooling and cases to limit the risk of the same 360 rrod issues popping up again with the xbone but the ps4 just seems like a “She will be right mate” approach and simply copied the ps3 slim design and put a few extra holes in it…surely I'm not the only one with both consoles that have noticed how loud this thing is at times????

I understand the reason the ps4 does not have a massive quite fan is due to the PSU being integrated into the case but surely they must of realised how loud this thing is and how hot it gets and how most people are going to be putting this thing in entertainment cabinets with other electronic components?????

Which brings me to the other pet hate

The Controller

Yes the bigger controller Is better than the ds3 and to some people gives the xbox controller a run for its money but I want to point out 5 things that bug me about the controller you get in the box and why it feels cheap and rushed

1)      The short charging cord you get…..you want to play your ps4 straight away but your control is flat and must be charged so you have to move your whole couch/chair closer to the tv because the cable is so short….would a few extra feet really hurt??

2)      Those thumbsticks wear down pretty quick…I have not rubbing on them like a woman and her lady parts but after a week of gaming the corners of the thumbsticks have started to break away leaving the underlayer coming through??
I have a dualshock 2 that is linked up to my pc that has been used almost every day for the past 5 years and it has no signs of wear but the ds4 after a week starts to flake and fall apart??? Some great QC there

3)      The touch Pad….apart from being awkward to use my pad has started to come loose and rattle slightly when used
It really seems as if it was simply tacked onto ds3..im yet to see the benefit of having it on the control.

4)      That Blue light….while it was a choice to remove the camera to make the console cheaper its left a rather annoying
Light on the control that is only used properly if you have the camera add-on….they should of left the camera in or removed the light off the control and simply bundled the controllers with the lights with the cameras instead of giving everyone a light show which drains the battery. Which brings me to the final point

5)      Battery life of the ds4 is absolutely shocking ..some days it only lasts for 4 hours before I have to move the whole couch forward next to the tv to use the short charging cord to play the ps4….my xbone control I have not replaced the batteries in it once since release and it has extra motors in it compared to the 360 control.
Either it has the most crappy rechargeable battery internally or the blue light show is sucking all of the juice

All of the things they have added to the control have not improved my gaming experience at all.

If I used the new xbone control as an example the feedback through the triggers allows me greater feedback on forza where I can now feel when I am pushing the car to hard around a corner or I am braking too hard

Back over the other side of the fence…the only real innovation is the controller fits better in your hand
The mic/speaker , touchpad and flashing light have added nothing to my gaming experience and as a result of having these I have to put up with crap battery life and have to buy another charging cable so I don’t have to move my furniture around the loungeroom…my extra control I purchased did not even come with a charging cable..GG there.

Those are my 3 main issues I have with the ps4 and lead me to believe that MS spent a fair amount of money in controls cooling and case design and not very much on the internal pieces that run the console…while many people could not give a S### about fan noise and the ds4 bugged bits the build quality of the xbone and its component’s feels far superior than the ps4 at this time.

I would of laughed if someone told me that last generation but there are far too man rough edges around the ps4s design this time around that have me wondering if my ps4 will croak in the first couple or years.

Only time will tell….. So String me up or share your thoughts on my topic

CozMick

Banned
Dualshock 4 is the second greatest controller I have ever used, second only to the N64 controller. I can go a full "day", 8hrs and still not need a charge.

As for the console, well, 350 quid for the most powerful console on the planet? Corners cut shocker. Fans aint that bad.

Gonna have to disagree on both counts tbh.

Also, a 3 metre usb cable is like 2.99.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What's with thread titles containing "controversial" these days? Your OP preface isn't any good either. Just state your opinion bro, and hope for the best. No point in tipping off the crazies..

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Controversial Opinion tag in topic title = Hey look at me! Click this topic and yell at me because I need attention!

Reality is, people just have opinions, and more than that, people have different physiology and preferences.

Enough said, and this thread will either be locked or drop off the first few pages quickly, then into obscurity because most other posts know.

Very much a ymmv I guess.

I played resogun for three hours last night and to my surprise the battery still showed 3 bars.

I like he design and whilst killzone was loud, it certainly wasn't as loud as my fat ps3.

Ulumsk

Not sure why you make such a big qualifier before getting to the point. You're entitled to your opinion, I disagree with it. I did chuckle a little about the controller cable though. You spent 900USD on hardware and you can't afford or even have a longer extra micro usb cable lying around?

Sinfamy

Your opinion. Mine is the opposite, I think it's the greatest console and controller design ever. I could do with a light-bar turn off switch though.

Complaints about battery life baffle me. Are you guys really playing regular 5+ hour sessions? That's not healthy.

When you're done playing, put the PS4 in standby mode and charge the controller. Then when you come back you've got a fully charged controller. Easy.

Also keep in mind the PS4 is really loud when it's installing from a disc. I was shocked by how loud it was when I first played Killzone, but noise level decreased dramatically after a while.

satam55

Banned
Controversial Opinion tag in topic title = Hey look at me! Click this topic and yell at me because I need attention!

Enough said, and this thread will either be locked or drop off the first few pages quickly, then into obscurity because most other posts know.

This!

Afrikan

you seem to have alot of issues publicly posted about all combined into one. I don't know how you are with your systems, but that is just weird. I mean every little thing from thumb stick issues to touch pad being loose (first time i've heard that one).

I don't know man.

I'll just say to say that the system is cheaply designed with the amount of tech they put into.....for its size...for having a built in power brick. For the price of the controller with all the stuff it does as well... I wouldn't use the word cheap.

the way you started your post doesn't help things either.

there have been a few issues from posters on Gaf who seem to be looking to state "controversial opinions"...instead of just stating those opinions.

Not sure why you make such a big qualifier before getting to the point. You're entitled to your opinion, I disagree with it. I did chuckle a little about the controller cable though. You spent 900USD on hardware and you can't afford or even have a longer extra micro usb cable lying around?

Anything that paints the ps4 in a bad light is like throwing a petrol can onto a fire

a bad xbox thread..you could strangle kittens put them though a mincer then shove them up your ass and nobody would blink

Edit
nice threadshitting
Felsparrow
phip3

Cizard

I realize that it would be nicer if Sony bundled a longer cable but come on, how hard is it to spend a few bucks for a longer cable if you need one? It''s a standard micro-usb cable. You might even own one already.

le.phat

I dunno man, mine is whisper quiet and i think the controller is incredible. The ventilation ? I have a vertical stand.

Maybe you have shit luck ?

Raonak

Banned
I can't speak for the controller, but the ps4 case is designed efficently as fuck. MS's just looks like a PC tower in comparison of how the space is used. Are you sure the noise isn't just the game installing? I hear that's loud. I have a PS3 slim and haven't noticed it being loud :/

Ulumsk

Anything that paints the ps4 in a bad light is like throwing a petrol can onto a fire

a bad xbox thread..you could strangle kittens put them though a mincer then shove them up your ass and nobody would blink

Oh, OH. You're on of those. Nevermind I'm out of this thread.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Oh, so this is where we're headed with this,

goonergaz

I have to admit (massive Sony fan here) I would have liked it quieter, the issue I have is 'will it get louder with age'? It's 'ok' if it stays this level but any louder would be disappointing.

For example, I was playing through level 2 on KZ and the disk started really spinning up, I assume to install the game right? Well I then started level 3 and the same thing happened for a couple of mins at the start...what gives?

Anyway, I also have mine vertically - it's be a shame to go horizontal because I have PS3 - X360 - PS4 all next to each other and the only other configuration is PS4 horizontal between the other 2 or to actually have it on top of the cabinet (and be a dust magnet).

My fans kick on gangbusters once in awhile too. I have to admit, I was bummed out about it and actually contacted Amazon about a replacement because I thought there was something wrong with the system. Especially since I'd also read tons of comments from people saying their PS4's are whisper quiet.

But I've gotten used to it and now I don't think the system is faulty, it's just some PS4's fans run louder than others for some reason. But I've also noticed the fans kick off after awhile and it goes back to being really quiet. It may not be an ideal situation, but like I said I've grown accustomed to it.

Other than that my PS4 works perfectly. And I can't say I agree with you about the DS4. It's the best controller I've ever used. My only complaint is that the "options" button is sometimes hard to find quickly when you're trying to feel around for it. Oh, and the battery life is a disappointment, I agree with you there.

The PS4 has been running extremely quiet for me, despite being in a fairly enclosed space and after running for a hour or two, especially compared to my 60 gb PS3Phat. I've barely noticed the fans, honestly. The PS4 wins out over the One for me design wise simply because of how much smaller the case is and how much easier it is to pack up and transport.

I do agree with the complaint with the short usb cable, but really, that's something that's easily rectified with a bare-minimum of effort. Battery life is a non-issue for me since I prefer to keep my controllers plugged in at all times regardless.

I am absolutely amazed with the sticks on the PS4. Playing Killzone on the DS4 felt to me like it afforded a level of precision that was not present on either the PS3 or 360 last generation. I'm not sure if it's the sticks themselves that are doing this or just the way GG programmed the controls, but it's probably a combination of both. Have not had any issues with the sticks wearing down yet.

slash3584

Edit
nice threadshitting juniors

Nice, 10000 threads points for you.

Hanmik

I got my P4 last night.. Wife thinks it is UGLY.. lol, I think it looks fine. Controller seems to be fine (only tried it for an hour or two)..
And I had heard alot about the noise level.. but mine is almost silent. But will have to test it more.. sorry for a noncontroversial post in this controversial topic.

Complaints about battery life baffle me. Are you guys really playing regular 5+ hour sessions? That's not healthy.

When you're done playing, put the PS4 in standby mode and charge the controller. Then when you come back you've got a fully charged controller. Easy.

Also keep in mind the PS4 is really loud when it's installing from a disc. I was shocked by how loud it was when I first played Killzone, but noise level decreased dramatically after a while.

This. stop marathoning unhealthy amounts of playtime and then charge in standby overnight or in between.

Not that hard.

Dougald

I dunno, I like the matte design of the PS4, and unlike when I got my original PS3 it still looks nice, whereas the shiny PS3 was literally scratched within 5 minutes of removing the thing from the box. I'm not sure where you're keeping your console either, because I've not noticed any fan noise from mine, though the disc drive is pretty damn loud when you first start a game. The Dreamcast disc drive has pretty much desensitized me to noise, though.

I also find the DS4 to be a fantastic controller, though I'll give you that the battery life is pretty poor

Frillen

I semi-agree. The system isn't a looker, that's for sure.

I agree with the last two points with the DS4. The battery life is ridiculous low and you should be able to turn the light off from the controller. However, the controller itself is fantastic and by far the best controller Sony has ever made.

Huggers

Complaining about the length of the micro USB cord? Really?

Must say though that so far I miss the DS3 more than I thought. I never thought pad shape was an issue as long as it was good enough but I have always used Playstation's. That pad shape is etched into my hands. Change is hard it turns out

Have to humbly disagree. The console is damn pretty to look at. Wobble rubbers at the bottom is the only thing that annoys me about it.

Coincidently, the rubbers used in analog stick don't look too fancy either, as I've oersonakky experienced some ugly and usable tear and tear.

First my system is pretty much silent. To the point where I hear the discs being read over the fan.... Second the xbox one controller has a lot of issues. I still prefer the 360s controller to the xbox one controller. Both systems have problems....

Note: are you guys having sound issues using the vertical placement?

Moosichu

Everyone is being really civilised. Personally, after demoing a PS4 in GAME I have minor concerns about the rubber. Everything else seems like it wpuldn't affect me. Reasonable compromises for what you get IMO.

Oh, shut up with this bullshit. Just an excuse for you to dismiss posts that disagree with you because "lol they have less posts of have been here for less time. Look at me"

Whats bullshit...a comment that is adding something to topic and conversation or 3 little threadshitting comments that have nothing to do with the topic but attack the poster

Do the Math.....happy for people to disagree with the topic because thats what its there for but if you have nothing to add please fuck off

The Xbox One has venting ports in all sides but one and it has a fan in it's main console unit, a fan inside Kinect and a fan inside the powerbrick.

Personally I'm quite satisfied with the noise the PS4 produces, which is to say it isn't a lot, but I honestly think that over a few months the Xbox One will become a much louder device thanks to all the dust that will accumulate in its three separate components.

As for the control design, I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. The sticks on the gamepad are longer, making it a bit easier/more-comfortable to hold in larger hands. The main action buttons are now an equal distance from each other, making it slightly easier to access square from circle, and vice-versa, the analogue sticks are improved overall and the triggers are not only easier to use and more accurate but they're also less prone to accidentally pressing when the controller is lying flat on a surface thanks to a small horizontal cut that helps prevent it from happening.

If anything, the controller seems like a major improvement overall. It's a shame they couldn't match the battery life of the previous controller, but I honestly doubt that it will end up being that big of an issue to most users.

Kosma

Banned
Proper headline that is more trendy would have been:

Here Is What Happens When We Gets Real About the Biggest Problem with PS4 Design.

stryke

You seem like you want to have a proper, mature conversation but yet you immediately play the "Sonygaf" card....

Whats bullshit...a comment that is adding something to topic and conversation or 3 little threadshitting comments that have nothing to do with the topic but attack the poster

Do the Math.....happy for people to disagree with the topic because thats what its there for but if you have nothing to add please fuck off

Your comment added absolutely nothing to the conversation besides interjecting your persecution complex into the conversation. Then when you get called out on it, you pull the "junior members lolol i'm better than you guys" thing.

Pot, kettle, black.

Not to mention the topic has NOTHING to do with the One. Why bring it in here?

Top Bottom