• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial Opinion – PS4 case and control design seems rushed and cheap

The Xbox One has venting ports in all sides but one and it has a fan in it's main console unit, a fan inside Kinect and a fan inside the powerbrick.

Personally I'm quite satisfied with the noise the PS4 produces, which is to say it isn't a lot, but I honestly think that over a few months the Xbox One will become a much louder device thanks to all the dust that will accumulate in its three separate components.

The kinnect unit is like a toaster

from what i can see on the ps4 it has vents all around the recessed parts and heaps at the back but no orientation seems to fix the airflow and fan issue

Its not launch 360 levels but its enough to be annoying

Whats bullshit...a comment that is adding something to topic and conversation or 3 little threadshitting comments that have nothing to do with the topic but attack the poster

Do the Math.....happy for people to disagree with the topic because thats what its there for but if you have nothing to add please fuck off

So what does Pitchfork.jpg and Sonygaf add to your topic besides just being inflammatory?

first of all have four pads. all sweet after a huge hammering.

second ps4 does not like been in a cabinet, well, you dont say..
i hav sealed cabinet which i adjusted to have internal and external flow of air provided by homemade usb fans (120mm pc fans) with filters on for dust. each section of cabinet has its own usb powered fans from ps3, amp, 360 too ps4.
ps4 is no exception if i do not have fans hooked up to any of them machines they over heat and shut down.

loud fans? never noticed. mayb because i do not play on mute? same volume as my amp fan which to say is silent.

yes mahine feels cheaply built. it was as i expeted. you build 3 million machines in 5 months.

Hanmik

Whats bullshit...a comment that is adding something to topic and conversation or 3 little threadshitting comments that have nothing to do with the topic but attack the poster

Do the Math.....happy for people to disagree with the topic because thats what its there for but if you have nothing to add please fuck off

just a little question from me..

why did you buy the PS4..?

KHlover

Banned
You seem like you want to have a proper, mature conversation but yet you immediately play the "Sonygaf" card....
Oh, so "NameOfWhatever"GAF can have multiple meanings? Always thought the term was positive, fans of SSB call themselves SmashGAF all the time. Does the term suddenly become negative when it is about the consoles themselves or is SmashGAF just an exception?

JayFalcon

Banned
Keep hearing about fan loudness , after the last generation of hair dryers I am with the XBone camp on this one.It should have been a priority.

Remember when consoles made no noise ? Jay Falcon remembers

panty

I disagree. I think the DS4 is the best controller I've used and it feels a lot better than the DS3 when it comes to build quality. Flaky bits eh? Definitely not. I think you have a broken controller or something.

Keep hearing about fan loudness , after the last generation of hair dryers I am with the XBone camp on this one.It should have been a priority.

The PS4 isn't
nearly
inaudible like the Xbox One but it's still pretty quiet and no where close to the Xbox 360/Elite models.

Anything that paints the ps4 in a bad light is like throwing a petrol can onto a fire

a bad xbox thread..you could strangle kittens put them though a mincer then shove them up your ass and nobody would blink

Edit
nice threadshitting juniors

What is with this mentality? You do realise you and everyone else has to go through being a junior to become a regular member? Really bugs me when I see people doing this. The kind of elitist mentality we can do without tbh.
OT: disagree but entitled to your opinion. Very *slightly* concerned about the longevity of the console, but I havent had a problem so far with hot console or loud fans, love the design and especially love the DS4, so I guess we will have to wait and see :)

just a little question from me..

why did you buy the PS4..?

For the games...outside of the issues highlighted i love the ps4
the UI is quick simple and is a games machine and does not try to be anything else

The xbox one i have already posted in another thread what i like and dont like about it but the main gripe is the interface and party system

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised how loud the PS4 was (its the same as a slim) my fears alievated by how cool it it is. I can game for hours and and end and the console still feels cool to the touch, with any hot air blown out the back.

The DS4 is a bit ugly compared the DS3 and the Xbone controller however. Its practical, but ugly.

Bit of a mixed bag here. Ive used a xbone and while it is quieter and does look fairly better when stuffed in a entertainment centre, it looks like shit the way I normally game, with my console on a table infront of my tv to maximise air flow. its also far less portable. I move my PS3 and 4 around dependant on where in the house I want to game, I would not do that with a 360 and xbone.

Basically YMMV. Neither are perfect but I feel I made the right choice.

Pop

Ps4 isn't even loud. Just stop playing on mute.

Console design and controller are great.

Gonna disagree with you op.

Edit: You guys are crazy. The only time Ps4 ever makes the slightest noise is when putting in a disk which last for about 10 seconds.

glaurung

OP cannot spell the word "quiet" versus the word "quite".

Opinion invalidated.

On topic: my PS4 is quieter than my PS3. The controller design is superb.

stryke

Oh, so "NameOfWhatever"GAF can have multiple meanings? Always thought the term was positive, fans of SSB call themselves SmashGAF all the time. Does the term suddenly become negative when it is about the consoles themselves or is SmashGAF just an exception?

Do you think the OP painted "SonyGaf" in a positive light by preemptively dismissing any retaliation to the substance of what he was talking about and assumed that "SonyGaf" would entirely skip reading his post?

Is that positive to you?

Hanmik

For the games...outside of the issues highlighted i love the ps4
the UI is quick simple and is a games machine and does not try to be anything else

The xbox one i have already posted in another thread what i like and dont like about it but the main gripe is the interface and party system

I just seem to remember you planned to buy Xbox one for yourself and a PS4 for your son.. maybe that was another poster then,,

MarkusRJR

No offense to the OP, but this is serious troll bait. If you really want to have a decent discussion you'd cut out the "SonyGAF", pitchfork imagery, calling out juniors due to differing opinions, etc.

To stay on topic, the PS4 fans are slightly louder than the Xbox One since they're only in the back. Xbox One has vents everywhere, is very large (leading to more airflow), and has an external power brick (with another fan to cool that down). There are positives and negatives to both designs. Personally I prefer the PS4's design if only because my entertainment center can barely fit an Xbox One and the power brick is annoying.

Context is what'll define it as a negative or positive meaning. In this case the OP clearly uses it in a negative meaning.

Marvel

could never
No offense to the OP, but this is serious troll bait. If you really want to have a decent discussion you'd cut out the "SonyGAF", Pitchfork imagery, calling out juniors due to differing opinions, etc.

Yup.

fwo.gif

Mr Moose

Ps4 isn't even loud. Just stop playing on mute.

Console design and controller are great.

Gonna disagree with you op.

Edit: You guys are crazy. The only time Ps4 ever makes the slightest noise is when putting in a disk which last for about 10 seconds.

Yeah I agree, mine is very quiet, I'd have to put my head near it to hear it (oh that rhymed).
When I first put a disc in I was like "well damn, now I hear it!" but for some odd reason, when I put discs in now, it's not even loud any more.

And the controllers, awww mannnn they are so soooo good, I don't think I could go back to using a PS3 controller now.
Battery life sucks though, my only problem with it.

Schlomo

I agree with most of these points. And while the controller doesn't bother me, the insane noise when playing Killzone makes me want to sell the thing and wait for a revision.

What is with this mentality? You do realise you and everyone else has to go through being a junior to become a regular member? Really bugs me when I see people doing this. The kind of elitist mentality we can do without tbh.
OT: disagree but entitled to your opinion. Very *slightly* concerned about the longevity of the console, but I havent had a problem so far with hot console or loud fans, love the design and especially love the DS4, so I guess we will have to wait and see :)

Its not an Elitest mentality..go back through the posts
What really bugs me is when people post in threads and add nothing to the topic which is what a few of the member who happen to be juniors...nothing against them but you would think if you spent the time to create a thread people would have the respect to actually add to the conversation rather than attack the poster and his choice in words...becoming a member is a privilege..being able to post is a privlage..being able to create a thread to share and comment about the topic is a privilege..when someone comes into your thread and takes a big shit like the juniors in the opening posts did is disrespectful.....now back on topic

Where does your console reside in relation to your tv? is it inside a cabinet or is it outside of one

leng jai

The fact that they managed to cram the most powerful console into that form factor and produce such a nice looking unit would indicate the exact opposite of rushed to me.

The controller on the other hand does have some flaws. The battery life in particular is dreadful.

noah111

Still Alive
What's with thread titles containing "controversial" these days? Your OP preface isn't any good either. Just state your opinion bro, and hope for the best. No point in tipping off the crazies..
They want to generate ad revenue from clic—oh wait.

I just seem to remember you planned to buy Xbox one for yourself and a PS4 for your son.. maybe that was another poster then,,

no..i have one and my son has one

his console sits off to the side of his TV...not as loud as the other one in a cabinet but we are looking at getting a proper cabinet for his room...just kinda bummed out about the fans going into overdrive the second its placed in an enclosed space

KHlover

Banned
Do you think the OP painted "SonyGaf" in a positive light by preemptively dismissing any retaliation to the substance of what he was talking about and assumed that "SonyGaf" would entirely skip reading his post?

Is that positive to you?
On NeoGAF it seems you never should count on anyone reading more than the title.

The pic COULD have been a play on that and SonyGAF COULD just have been used to make clear he only wanted responses by Sony fans/PS4 buyers.

Of course his behaviour smashed that theory, but as someone who is barely past Junior and spent much of his time in SmashGAF (again, positive term there) I was legitimately confused a bit.

The_Lump

Banned
SonyGaf will retaliate, MSGaf will pile in. Predictable.

I've never owned an MS console, I love my ps3 and love my ps4. However, it's a fact that Sony has done what it had to do to get this thing to market at the right price. It isn't "cheap" feeling by any means, but it certainly lacks the premium feel of the OG PS3 Phat for example. I assume that's more what OP is trying to say. I've only seen an XBO at a friend's house and briefly held the controller - certainly looks and feels like a premium peice of kit quality wise.
Shame it's ugly as sin and too big for my tv cabinet ;)

That was expected though. They had to cut cost somewhere.

It's still without doubt the deal of the friggin centuary, considering what you are getting for your money. And imho the controller feels sturdy enough.

Durante

Of course it's cheap. It was built to be cheap. It's winning in no small part because it's cheap.

The only thing that seems potentially rushed (or "not tested enough") to me though is the rubber on the DS4 sticks.

The_Lump

Banned
SonyGaf will retaliate, MSGaf will pile in. Predictable. Not everything negative is trolling and not everything positive is fanboyism.

I've never owned an MS console, I love my ps3 and love my ps4. However, it's a fact that Sony has done what it had to do to get this thing to market at the right price. It isn't "cheap" feeling by any means, but it certainly lacks the premium feel of the OG PS3 Phat for example. I assume that's more what OP is trying to say. That was expected though. They had to cut cost somewhere.

I've only seen an XBO at a friend's house and briefly held the controller - certainly looks and feels like a premium peice of kit quality wise.

It's still without doubt the deal of the friggin centuary, considering what you are getting for your money. And imho the controller feels sturdy enough.

Hanmik

his console sits off to the side of his TV...not as loud as the other one in a cabinet but we are looking at getting a proper cabinet for his room...just kinda bummed out about the fans going into overdrive the second its placed in an enclosed space

ohh. nice..

I placed mine horizontally.. with space all around it (I have an open TV holder).. I was surprised by how quiet it is. But I haven´t tried to put a disc in yet.. so that might change.

Oeeee, controversial.....

You might want to consider journalism.
are you 12? Cause this was really bad... Complete nonsense in most cases.

TheCloser

Banned
I have both consoles and I am only speaking from experiences with both consoles over the last couple of weeks
From a gaming point of view both consoles are great but there are aspects of the ps4 design which seemed very rushed or cheap and its been bugging the crap out of me if anyone else is having the same issues.

We are also lucky enough to have 2 ps4 consoles at our place and one xbone so it’s not related to a single faulty console.

TLDR VERSION
I hate the design of the ventilation on the ps4 and the ds4 feels like a fat ds3 with flaky bits and a crappy battery.

The Fans

The Xbone is whisper quite…its summer at the moment in Aus and we have had a couple of 35 degree days with high humidity and my house feels a little hot at times …in saying that I have not once heard the xbone fan kick in after hours of gameplay in this weather..i have to put my hand above the vent to check to see if the fan was working

As for the PS4 ……the First thing I noticed when I booted up the ps4 for the first time was the fan sounded exactly like the ps3 slim and once I started to game with it the fan started to creep up to the same audible levels of the ps3 and in some cases
It got quite loud (Killzone)….all 3 of our consoles had the same noise level and a mate who also got a ps4 commented that he could hear it over a pedestal fan that he had running in his room….which brings me to the next point

PS4 does not like being put in a cabinet

The PS4 does not like being placed in tv cabinets or entertainment units….which is where a majority of people would put them
I have my ps4 and xbone in an Ikea bookcase lied on its side..to give you an idea its basically one of these turned on its side
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/50185483/

The TV sits on top and all my consoles sit in the bottom

The clearance above the consoles is about 35 to 40cm and at the rear there is around 30cm from the back of the console to the wall..and there is also a gap between the cabinet which air flows out of.I have an xbox 360 and ps3 in 2 of the boxes so I have a rough base to go off in terms of sound.

I have tried the xbone in this cabinet and I have also used in another rooms tv cabinet which has reduced room above the console which is one of these http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/S09927114/

It has the back plate removed as I got sick of running cords through a tiny hole

On both occasions I have not heard the console or noticed any excessive heat coming out of the location where its stored..the ps4 has also been in both locations and while its not as loud in the bigger ikea cabinet (have tried in both horizontal and vertical orientations) it sounds like a jet once it goes into a smaller space
Which is weird because the cabinet has ample space on the sides and at the rear (70cm wide 20cm high 50 cm deep).

The only way I have been able to reduce the noise is to pull the ps4 out of the cabinet and place it on a crate in the middle of the floor which is sort of crap….the furniture I own is certainly not the most exotic space restricting furniture for consoles and even the xbone which is as fat as an old VCR does not give off as much noise and it has even less space to work with.

Coming from 4 rrod xboxs and 2 YLOD ps3s I have made sure the choices in furniture are the best when it comes to having a cool environment for your gaming consoles

My Friend who also owns the ps4 has also realised he cant have it placed next to his tv as the heat from the rear of the TV makes his ps4 fan kick in or he cant have it in his entertainment cabinet as he has to turn off his satellite box as the heat from that also kicks in the fans.

The other ps4 in the house also has to be away from the tv and in a fully open area to remain at a low fan speed level and in when i tested it in the same spots the same issues came up.

I am pretty certain MS spent a crapload of money in designing cooling and cases to limit the risk of the same 360 rrod issues popping up again with the xbone but the ps4 just seems like a “She will be right mate” approach and simply copied the ps3 slim design and put a few extra holes in it…surely I'm not the only one with both consoles that have noticed how loud this thing is at times????

I understand the reason the ps4 does not have a massive quite fan is due to the PSU being integrated into the case but surely they must of realised how loud this thing is and how hot it gets and how most people are going to be putting this thing in entertainment cabinets with other electronic components?????

Which brings me to the other pet hate

The Controller

Yes the bigger controller Is better than the ds3 and to some people gives the xbox controller a run for its money but I want to point out 5 things that bug me about the controller you get in the box and why it feels cheap and rushed

1)      The short charging cord you get…..you want to play your ps4 straight away but your control is flat and must be charged so you have to move your whole couch/chair closer to the tv because the cable is so short….would a few extra feet really hurt??

2)      Those thumbsticks wear down pretty quick…I have not rubbing on them like a woman and her lady parts but after a week of gaming the corners of the thumbsticks have started to break away leaving the underlayer coming through??
I have a dualshock 2 that is linked up to my pc that has been used almost every day for the past 5 years and it has no signs of wear but the ds4 after a week starts to flake and fall apart??? Some great QC there

3)      The touch Pad….apart from being awkward to use my pad has started to come loose and rattle slightly when used
It really seems as if it was simply tacked onto ds3..im yet to see the benefit of having it on the control.

4)      That Blue light….while it was a choice to remove the camera to make the console cheaper its left a rather annoying
Light on the control that is only used properly if you have the camera add-on….they should of left the camera in or removed the light off the control and simply bundled the controllers with the lights with the cameras instead of giving everyone a light show which drains the battery. Which brings me to the final point

5)      Battery life of the ds4 is absolutely shocking ..some days it only lasts for 4 hours before I have to move the whole couch forward next to the tv to use the short charging cord to play the ps4….my xbone control I have not replaced the batteries in it once since release and it has extra motors in it compared to the 360 control.
Either it has the most crappy rechargeable battery internally or the blue light show is sucking all of the juice

All of the things they have added to the control have not improved my gaming experience at all.

If I used the new xbone control as an example the feedback through the triggers allows me greater feedback on forza where I can now feel when I am pushing the car to hard around a corner or I am braking too hard

Back over the other side of the fence…the only real innovation is the controller fits better in your hand
The mic/speaker , touchpad and flashing light have added nothing to my gaming experience and as a result of having these I have to put up with crap battery life and have to buy another charging cable so I don’t have to move my furniture around the loungeroom…my extra control I purchased did not even come with a charging cable..GG there.

Those are my 3 main issues I have with the ps4 and lead me to believe that MS spent a fair amount of money in controls cooling and case design and not very much on the internal pieces that run the console…while many people could not give a S### about fan noise and the ds4 bugged bits the build quality of the xbone and its component’s feels far superior than the ps4 at this time.

I would of laughed if someone told me that last generation but there are far too man rough edges around the ps4s design this time around that have me wondering if my ps4 will croak in the first couple or years.

Only time will tell….. So String me up or share your thoughts on my topic

What a completely rubbish post. Seriously, go back to gamefaqs. Not only is this post rife with unsubstantiated assumptions but its also troll bait.This is certainly not the kind of stuff i expect to be reading on gaf.

notBald

On noise.

It's my experience that most folks are pretty tolerant of noise. I've read several reviews address noise on consumer gear, have them say it's too quiet to hear, bought it, and found it noisy.

The Wii and the PS3 slim are both noisy consoles to me. So noisy they bother me when watching blu-ray or netflix, though I'm tolerant to noise when I'm gaming.

I do wonder how quiet the XBone really is. Might be the ideal console for me on that front.

Edit: How noisy is the XBone hard drive? I'm guessing it's a typical 5200 RPM laptop disk. They aren't exactly quiet, but should be inaudible at couch distance at least.

Where does your console reside in relation to your tv? is it inside a cabinet or is it outside of one

I have a shelf system next to my desk, sits horizontally on the shelf above my desktop PC, about a metre or so from where I sit (playing on PC monitor atm as I am waiting for TV upgrade, current TV doesn't support 1080p).

There's about 10 cm clearance above the 5 fan PC (1 large fan on top of the case expels heat), about 30 cm clearance behind the PS4, 10 cm to the left of it and the desk itself immediately to the right. Have played with PC on (to test how it handles the heat) and PC off (to see if the noise is at all intrusive) But no, it's not enclosed in a cabinet. The room is ambient temperature but it is a bit cooler atm (UK here) so not exactly an equal comparison but I can only post my experiences with it =]

SonyGaf will retaliate, MSGaf will pile in. Predictable. Not everything negative is trolling and not everything positive is fanboyism.

I've never owned an MS console, I love my ps3 and love my ps4. However, it's a fact that Sony has done what it had to do to get this thing to market at the right price. It isn't "cheap" feeling by any means, but it certainly lacks the premium feel of the OG PS3 Phat for example. I assume that's more what OP is trying to say. That was expected though. They had to cut cost somewhere.

I've only seen an XBO at a friend's house and briefly held the controller - certainly looks and feels like a premium peice of kit quality wise.

I agree about the xbox..the box itself barley fits into both cabinets and the glossy finish does not do it any favours for anyone who does not like dust

I would also agree its the deal of a century for the ps4 but id much rather pay a little extra for something a little less noisy and has controls that dont fall apart like mine are

Maybe its just my consoles??

Jtrizzy

I never buy enclosed cabinets for my electronics, it is not good to have them in small poorly ventilated wooden enclosures. Go with open air glass shelves/entertainment centers.

As for the controller. I like it so much more than the DS3, so I'll cut it some slack on the other stuff. Yes, the material on the left stick of one of my controllers is coming off. It seems like its just more of the same material and it's not really affecting me tbh.

Battery life is bad on both of mine, like really bad. I haven't tested it out, but I feel like I'm charging and swapping them way too frequently. I also agree about the cord, but all electronics makers screw you on cord lengths.

The light is also annoying when playing games in the dark, I hope they can disable that crap in the future. Not a huge deal, but I can see the reflection on my screen at times.

TheTwelve

The console thus far reminds me of the aerodynamics and power of an F1 racecar.

The controller thus far reminds me of some kind of pleasure in my hands.

We'll see if these opinions change in the future!

LTWheels

The only thing if found slightly disappointing with the ps4 is that the material the box is made out of looks quite cheap compared to the slick design of the box. I feel that the material the xbox is made out if has a more premium finish despite the boring design of the box.

Yeah. I dont think it is best designed for a cabinet. Personally I am fine with that, ive never really had consoles in TV cabinets because ive always worried about overheating and dust buildup.

The PS4 and the First Slim before it look best when they are on top of a cabinet next to the TV. They work best that way too.

Why not just use the cabinet for storage and put the console on top when you want to play?

RedAssedApe

Banned
bluray drive is the only noisy thing to me.

i'm not sure if i'm deaf or some of you guys are just really sensitive to noise and/or play games with the volume really low...

Top Bottom