• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop pepper sprays group of motorcyclists because, hey, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/watch-a-cop-allegedly-pepper-spray-passing-motorcyclist-1764805187

A helmet cam from a rider in Fort Worth, Texas shows what looks to be a police officer, who was parked on the side of the road after pulling a car over, attempting to spray pepper spray into a row of oncoming motorcyclists, for what appears to be no reason.

w4SD2XT.png

One would think pepper spraying an enormous group of people who are currently driving would be stupid, but then again so is pepper spraying someone wearing a helmet.

AMUSIX

Glad IA is already looking into this.

The related videos are fucking nuts, though. This is a cop in South Africa, unloading an entire clip while riding a motorcycle in pursuit of a suspect. The suspect's car wasn't hit.
ndiJzYJ.gif

And the official statement from when they posted the video:
Just another day for our Law enforcement members! This member went above and beyond to make sure he got his suspect!

Awesome (FPV) First person viewer footage...

jmdajr

By law you are supposed to move over to the other lane if the Cop stops someone.

Saying that, he could have just caught up and ticketed them later.

Krejlooc

Banned
By law you are supposed to move over to the other lane if the Cop stops someone.

In Texas, you have the option of instead slowing down 20 mph under the speed limit instead.

http://www.moveoverlaws.com/texas-move-over-law.htm

The law states a driver must either vacate the lane closest to the stopped emergency vehicle if the road has multiple lanes traveling in the same direction or slow down 20 miles per hour below the speed limit. (If the speed limit is below 25 mph the driver must slow down to 5 mph.)

You can hear the motorcyclists slowing down as they approach the cop.

AMUSIX

Saying that, he could have just caught up and ticketed them later.

You can't really get a ticket for it. The law exists, but you either have to slow down to a reasonable speed (different for each state) or move over if 1. You noticed the emergency vehicle on the side of the road in time, and 2. It is safe to do so.

Looking at the traffic on that road, it looks like 2. might have been difficult for many of the riders.

And actively trying to impair the driver or rider of a moving vehicle is WAY over the line, and far, far more illegal than the cyclists not changing lanes.

inner-G

Banned
Asshole for sure but you can't use the lane when an emergency vehicle is stopped. He shouldn't have used pepper spray but I don't know what he could really do to stop a group that big. A roadblock maybe?

Makki

Florida law requires you to move over for emergency vehicles on the side of the road, in a typical fashion from massive group ride douchebags they didnt follow traffic laws since they were all bunched up and didn't move over (some did last minute).

That said, the cop shouldn't have wipped out pepper spray.

HTupolev

It's courteous to move over for a car in the shoulder, but not always safe.

Even if the cop wanted to enforce a law of that sort, impairing the motorists is a completely nonsensical reaction.

Two Words

Florida law requires you to move over for emergency vehicles on the side of the road, in a typical fashion from massive group ride douchebags they didnt follow traffic laws since they were all bunched up and didn't move over (some did last minute).

That said, the cop shouldn't have wipped out pepper spray.

It would be nice if people didn't literally have a 4:1 ratio of words spent on the far less severe crime when it comes to police abuse.

jmdajr

You can't really get a ticket for it. The law exists, but you either have to slow down to a reasonable speed (different for each state) or move over if 1. You noticed the emergency vehicle on the side of the road in time, and 2. It is safe to do so.

Looking at the traffic on that road, it looks like 2. might have been difficult for many of the riders.

And actively trying to impair the driver or rider of a moving vehicle is WAY over the line, and far, far more illegal than the cyclists not changing lanes.

Sure you can, I've seen it.

I don't know wtf this Cop is doing though. Or ex-cop I should say.

lednerg

Nothing justifies the risk of blinding motorists with pepper spray. Absolutely nothing. The "who's in the wrong" discussion begins and ends there.

The related videos are fucking nuts, though. This is a cop in South Africa, unloading an entire clip while riding a motorcycle in pursuit of a suspect. The suspect's car wasn't hit.
ndiJzYJ.gif

It definitely got hit, here's a full video of that (7 mins). They make an arrest of one of the suspects (they show the bullet damage on the car).

Here's another video of police shooting from their car at a suspect they're chasing on the streets of Johannesburg.

While I've been in SA for some time now I've seen these chases, while on the highway at an intersection I saw someone getting hijacked and there were police way behind me, they saw it happening and jumped right into action, shooting the hijackers from their car. Crime in the country and law enforcement are something else.

Arkeband

Banned

ndiJzYJ.gif

timeless-leo-dicaprio-blood-diamond_q7ho1m.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom