• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Hey, this one is pretty rough to read, so I'm putting a TL;DR right in front. Basically, the cops let this guy with a broken neck spend five days dying in a jail cell while refusing to let his family see him and claiming he was faking being paralyzed.

Still with me? Don't say I didn't warn you.

Elliott Williams spent the last five days of his life in a Tulsa County jail, paralyzed and lying on the cold concrete floor. But despite the 37-year-old Oklahoma man’s pleas for help, guards did nothing to save him, a lawsuit claims.

At one point, jailers dumped Williams’s limp body into a shower and left him there for an hour. The dying inmate “would not stand up but we did give him a shower anyway,” a captain later testified, according to a sheriff’s office internal report.

Another officer saw Williams face down in the shower, screaming, “Help me!” according to the internal report.

In the days that followed, Williams’s father tried in vain to contact his son. He was denied visitation “because of Elliott’s condition.”

“He’s acting like he’s paralyzed, but we know he’s not,” a mental health worker told Williams’s dad, court papers allege.

Detention officers, nurses, and even a jail psychiatrist accused Williams of “faking” an illness. His family says they declined to administer medical care or transport Williams to a hospital—until it was too late.

Cops arrested the Army vet, who had a history of mental illness, at a Marriott hotel on Oct. 21, 2011. Hotel staff called the cops after Williams, who was with his parents, appeared to have a mental breakdown in the lobby. At the time, his only alleged crime was misdemeanor obstruction.

But he paid with his life.

“This guy went almost six days and never got taken to the hospital with a broken neck,” Daniel Smolen, an attorney for Williams’s family, told The Daily Beast. “They’re throwing food at him and making fun of him in the cell while he’s going through a horrific death. You wouldn’t do that to an animal or any living thing.”

Most of the horrors Williams endured in the jail were captured on the facility’s surveillance footage. The shocking video was released in 2013, two years after the Williams family filed a federal lawsuit against then-Sheriff Stanley Glanz.

The complaint also targeted employees of the private healthcare company contracted to operate the jail’s medical services. The firm, Correctional Healthcare Management, settled out of court two years ago, but the county didn’t. Smolen expects the Williams case to go to trial.

“It’s a slow, torturous death,” Smolen said, adding that Williams’s case is the worst civil rights violation he’s seen captured on film. “You’re cognizant of it the whole time. It’s like a nightmare.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/19/cops-taunted-black-veteran-as-he-died.html

Video at the link.

Acidote

There are no words to describe this. What the fuck is wrong with ALL those people. It is not just a single individual.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If I worked at this facility I would have probably gotten fired and even arrested for trying to help this guy out. Then again my mindset is probably what would make me a shitty cop in the first place, I just couldn't stand around, let alone joking, while a guy slowly dies. On top of that the fact that they make fun of him and say his faking being paralyzed... for DAYS. Man fuck that.

Tagyhag

The firm, Correctional Healthcare Management, settled out of court two years ago,

God damn it, I know law fees are shit, but don't settle, these bastards have to pay with all they have.

God I completely understand why families settle outside of court. You will more than likely get a lot of money because some states cap how much money you can be rewarded in court. But I just want all of these cases have no caps so the trials can continue and these cases can receive a lot of public attention.

Almost soul numbing.

God damn it, I know law fees are shit, but don't settle, these bastards have to pay with all they have.

If they are a big healthcare company it could have been 50+ million. . I agree don't settle but it must be hard. That's enough money to have generational wealth and pull every family member out of hard times if used correctly.

Tenebrous

How can this be anything other than life sentences for those involved?
Rhetorical question - I know how it works.
Holy shit...

Tagyhag

If they are a big healthcare company it could have been 50+ million. . I agree don't settle but it must be hard. That's enough money to have generational wealth and pull every family member out of hard times if used correctly.

Yeah that's the silver lining.

It's just a shame that those who are corrupted and directly involved with someone's death can just walk away.

PopeReal

Can't watch it. I am getting too ruined by these videos.

America doesn't give a shit in general since they aren't the ones being targeted and killed. But if protestors dare block traffic or make a fuss they sure get pisssed off then. Fuck it.

foxdvd

Horrible. People involved should spend time in jail..period. No excuse treating a human worst than an animal. If you are "burnt" working in and around criminals, you need to get out and find a different kind of job. The poor man.

One thing I do hate, and I know it is stupid of me, but did they really need to put that he was a veteran? I always find that they do that to grab sympathy, but if he was not a veteran would this had been any less horrifying?

CDX

At one point, jailers dumped Williams’s limp body into a shower and left him there for an hour. The dying inmate “would not stand up but we did give him a shower anyway,” a captain later testified, according to a sheriff’s office internal report.

Another officer saw Williams face down in the shower, screaming, “Help me!” according to the internal report.

“He’s acting like he’s paralyzed, but we know he’s not,” a mental health worker told Williams’s dad, court papers allege.

Detention officers, nurses, and even a jail psychiatrist accused Williams of “faking” an illness.

This makes me sick.

Cops arrested the Army vet, who had a history of mental illness, at a Marriott hotel on Oct. 21, 2011. Hotel staff called the cops after Williams, who was with his parents, appeared to have a mental breakdown in the lobby. At the time, his only alleged crime was misdemeanor obstruction.

He was only arrested for a misdemeanor.
He ends up with a broken neck and then dead.

The more you read, the worse it gets.

A sheriff's deputy broke his neck.
in the early morning of Oct. 22, Owasso officer Jack Wells slammed him to the floor while trying to handcuff him, according to the cop’s own interview with OSBI. Officer Wells told OSBI he “landed on top of Elliott’s shoulder and head,” but that the prisoner “appeared to be fine with no injuries.”
Still, the Tulsa sheriff office’s appeared to disagree. In an internal report, the sheriff’s department says Williams struggled after the fall, and that his condition was captured on booking cameras. “At this time it is obvious that Williams is having a difficult time standing,” the document stated.

To test to see if he was faking the paralysis, they literally tortured him
mental health workers at the jail held a meeting to discuss Williams. Instead of seeking a neurological exam or other care, they decided to rule out paralysis by placing Williams in a video-monitored cell. They wanted to see if he was “faking” the injury, legal papers state.
At around 8:30 a.m., two officers dragged Williams on a blanket to his new cell and placed a Styrofoam cup of water at his feet, video footage shows.
“This was the only cup of water placed in [the cell] from October 25 to the time that Mr. Williams died on October 27,” court papers charge.

In the two days leading up to his death he was seen by no less than 5 people in charge of keeping him alive, and none of them did anything

On Oct. 27 at 5:10 a.m., the third and final food container was dropped into Williams’s cell, at his feet and out of his reach, video shows. A resident physician shadowing jail staff spotted him three hours later, lying with saliva pooled under his head. The doctor saw vomit on the side of Williams’s mouth and the unopened food containers.
The doctor warned the jail’s medical director Williams “looked sick, needed a CT scan and needed to go to the hospital,” court documents state. The medical director, however, took no action. The director later testified he didn’t remember the doctor’s conversation but “if it happened, it was my bad.”
Then he tried to explain away Williams’s treatment. “People just die sometimes,” he said, according to court records.

Our country's justice system is such a fucking joke. And Bill Clinton wants to pretend that stronger enforcement saves black lives.

commedieu

Banned
Can't watch it. I am getting too ruined by these videos.

America doesn't give a shit in general since they aren't the ones being targeted and killed. But if protestors dare block traffic or make a fuss they sure get pisssed off then. Fuck it.

I'm exhausted trying to get americans to care. They don't. We are all still just getting ourselves killed by being disobedient. It's never going to happen to them in regular numbers. So it's invisible.

Ah well. Gg.

Moppeh

Banned
Prisoners fake illnesses all the time but I've never come across someone who was able to fake anything longer than maybe an hour or two at most, especially something like a broken spine. Even if they didn't believe it initially, there is no excuse for allowing this man to lay dying for 5 fucking days.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The more you read, the worse it gets.

A sheriff's deputy broke his neck.
He was also slamming his head into the bars/walls and falling onto the floor so it's not really 100% that his neck was broken by the police.

It is 100% the fault of the police for not providing him any medical attention once it was clear he was hurt, however.

I was gonna say this is disgusting, sickening, or horrifying, but I don't think those words are strong enough for this. Jesus christ.

"No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel, and the president has asked the FBI to launch a very concerted effort against gangs everywhere"

This shit should apply to police departments across America.

He was also slamming his head into the bars/walls and falling onto the floor so it's not really 100% that his neck was broken by the police.

It is 100% the fault of the police for not providing him any medical attention once it was clear he was hurt, however.

I can see how you'd reach that conclusion.

If you stopped reading after the first sentence of the quote

In an internal report, the sheriff’s department says Williams struggled after the fall, and that his condition was captured on booking cameras. “At this time it is obvious that Williams is having a difficult time standing,” the document stated.

It takes a lot of force to break a neck. You aren't going to break your own neck by slamming your head against a wall.

cameron

Police need moar training. Apparently, without sufficient training, they default to inhumane behaviour. Because reasons.

“Despite medical staff’s incorrect diagnoses of Mr. Williams before his death, the undisputed evidence is that the medical professionals who examined and treated Mr. Williams sincerely believed he was faking paralysis,” Brewster wrote.

Williams’s legal team, Brewster added, “has not established any evidence at anyone at the jail… consciously refused to provide him with medical care.”
The standard free pass against any and all criminal charges related to cruelty to a prisoner, negligence, and involuntary manslaughter. But applied to a civil case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom