• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joms5

Everyone responsible for this deserves at least 10-15 years in prison. They killed the man. They sat there and just watched him die.

Unbelievable.

Of course the story about the black veteran getting killed never bothers to go into any of the details of his service.
I dunno, does it matter? I wouldn't care if he was a veteran, regular joe, or a bum. What happened to him isn't okay no matter who he was.

Edit: Oop, see what you mean now, nvm.

Piecake

I think this is the first time that I have been truly tempted to call someone/organization up and tell them that they are monsters.

Garlador

No words. Just sorrow.

My state police too.

I like to think I'm not a cynical person by nature, that I believe that there is good in all people... and stories like this, where I know great evil was done - by the people who trust to enforce law and justice - will instead escape law and justice with literally statements of "my bad" and "people sometimes just die".

I dont umderstnd what you're saying.

To use other examples about stories related to non-black veterans being killed:

http://wjla.com/news/local/man-attacked-over-black-lives-matter

WASHINGTON — Surveillance video of a decorated Marine veteran being brutally attacked was released by D.C. Police on Thursday.

The video shows 30-year-old Chris Marquez attacked from behind as he was leaving a McDonald's on 911 E St., N.W., in Washington.

Marquez was in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and received a bronze star for his heroism.

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150717/NEWS/150719377

Mendonca's family said he'd served a tour in Afghanistan in the Infantry and was discharged last fall.

You wanna know what they said about this guy?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/19/cops-taunted-black-veteran-as-he-died.html

Cops arrested the Army vet, who had a history of mental illness, at a Marriott hotel on Oct. 21, 2011. Hotel staff called the cops after Williams, who was with his parents, appeared to have a mental breakdown in the lobby. At the time, his only alleged crime was misdemeanor obstruction.

Glaze over the service, talk instead about his mental illness and arrest.

Damn... I just... I have no words left at this point. Just damn... I'm not at all surprised that something like this happened, but but still, what in the world... Just a few bad apples though...

Rest in peace.

I wonder sometimes if someone files a civil suit against a police department, that they can target the funds instead of the local and state taxpayers. They need to target the defendants pension because in reality, they should pay paying this family, not the other private citizens

TheJLC

I don't get it, did the medical staff at the jail not send him to the hospital. Did they just assume he was faking without a trip to the hospital? Here they send prisoners all the time to the hospital, especially when they are faking serious injuries.

To use other examples about stories related to non-black veterans being killed:

http://wjla.com/news/local/man-attacked-over-black-lives-matter

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150717/NEWS/150719377

You wanna know what they said about this guy?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/19/cops-taunted-black-veteran-as-he-died.html

Glaze over the service, talk instead about his mental illness and arrest.

Ah okay got ya. I genuinely didnt get what you meant. Media pretty shameless.

Neglecting people in prison is a pretty common thing to happen, it is such a shame.
Edit: Just read more into it, he was also abused. Screw these corrupt jerks!

Kas

If I were a sadistic person, I'd put them in the guys place, broken neck and all.

People do not learn. Something drastic would have to happen to change their thinking.

I can't even fathom recalling a story like this and still having the gall to dismiss the people protesting heinous acts like this. Too many people are satisfied just calling this a sad story and forgetting it tomorrow when it's more than just one story. This kind of thing is an absolute societal cancer that isn't being treated.

EDIT: Probably the most innocuous part of a video that's 100% ugly and disturbing but the way they toss food into his cell without even checking to see if he's fit enough to eat it is infuriating. Like they're dealing with a fucking pit viper or something instead of a human.

This is horrible. There's no possible excuse here, the people responsible should at minimum be fired and jailed. I don't know if it fits the legal definition but the term that comes to mind when I read this is "depraved indifference".

Harmen

The people responsible for this should be in jail themselves, for a long, long damn time. This makes me rage quite a bit. Terrible way to go and completely unacceptible.

This information is not normally made public. If the family wants it made known they'll release it but I suspect they have higher priorities right now.

Hope so. I'm just remembering a story about a white vet who was killed by people who were supposedly affiliated with BLM and I'm pretty sure his military service took up 33% of the story.

While not every case is like that, it's disheartening to see that the one story that passed my radar where there's a black vet they gloss over his military service and go straight to his history of mental illness and the details of his arrest, both pieces of information that I can't imagine are much more accessible than his military record.

Ah okay got ya. I genuinely didnt get what you meant. Media pretty shameless.

Yeah, exactly. Sorry if I was too vague before...

No way I am watching that video

Everyone should force themselves to watch the video. Its one of the most pitiful things Ive seen in my life and wouldnt look out of place juxtaposed to the motherfucking treatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib.
Everyone should see the way this man was treated. Worse than a rabid animal.

This is one of the worst US jail incidents I've read about, and apparently this jail has a history of providing shitty medical care so an incident this extreme was inevitable without any intervention.

jet1911

I've seen a lot of fucked up shit on the internet but this is clearly at the top of all those fucked up things. This is disgusting.

iNvid02

i havent been surprised by one of your police brutality stories in a while america, but i dont even know how to respond to this

darscot

Everyone should force themselves to watch the video. Its one of the most pitiful things Ive seen in my life and wouldnt look out of place juxtaposed to the motherfucking treatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib.

I disagree completely, some things only create rage and hatred. Its best to keep a cool head and think rationally.

Garlador

While looking up info on this, I just casually stumbled upon this as well:

A former Tulsa County sheriff has admitted in federal court that policies on housing juvenile girls at the jail were violated multiple times in 2010, a time in which a woman says she was repeatedly sexually assaulted while detained there. A jury has awarded $25,000 in damages to the former female inmate.

A friend of mine used to work at the prisons and she told me the conditions there are reprehensibly bad, that cops and staff on hand are just on constant edge all the time and super paranoid and they would rather "play it safe" and let a prisoner die or get hurt than intervene.

It should be on primetime news on every channel in the US. It'll never happen, of course.

darscot

$25,000 for repeatedly sexual assault WTF. You can get millions when McDonalds spills coffee but prison rape gets you 25g's.

Enzom21

Everyone of those pieces of shit who didn't help him should be put under the jail.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

oh wait

1. He's black so that does not apply.
2. They really mean "support our war" because based on how troops are treated after war, it's pretty damn clear they don't care about them.

tkscz

Seriously, we need mental checks before hiring police to the force. Far too many cannot handle having power without abusing it and living out sick torture fantasies like this one. He was just faking it my black ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom