• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darscot

This was an irrational action and it should make people angry.

Being angry is one thing, shit like this puts people in murderous rages. If some one lost their shit and killed everyone involved, not sure I would be too worried about it. Some people are more empathetic than others. They see something and they can feel how that person felt, they react and they react badly. Some people can look at this and it doesn't effect them at all, but we are all different.

Enzom21

Seriously, we need mental checks before hiring police to the force. Far too many cannot handle having power without abusing it and living out sick torture fantasies like this one. He was just faking it my black ass.

Then there would be like two or three cops working.

This happened in 2011 and video footage was released in 2013, so why is there an article about it now? I haven't taken the time to read carefully

If this is something old, do we have any idea about possible repercussions on this shitty ass police department? We have law inforcement on one side and a mentally ill black man on the other so I'm not expecting anything.

megalowho

Very difficult to read but thank you for sharing. The actions of the mental health staff at the prison are simply unforgivable - ruling out a proper medical diagnosis in favor of dragging him into a room with a cup of water out of reach to catch him "faking." That's some 1970's mental health atrocity bullshit.

Being angry is one thing, shit like this puts people in murderous rages. If some one lost their shit and killed everyone involved, not sure I would be too worried about it. Some people are more empathetic than others. They see something and they can feel how that person felt, they react and they react badly. Some people can look at this and it doesn't effect them at all, but we are all different.

The kind of person that would leap to murder over this is the kind of person who would leap to murder from just reading the article. For me, it's not worth worrying about the thought processes of maniacs.

I think people should watch the video because I think there are way too many people who are satisfied being at arms length from this stuff. They read about it and forget about it. Without actually seeing it, people are too eager to dismiss any efforts made to changing it. People need their god-like image of the law enforcement resoundingly crushed and people need to see that the suffering people of color go through isn't all in their heads. For those people words aren't enough and they need images in their head.

SilentRob

So, wait...

Let's imagine for a moment he actually DID fake the injury. He was mentally ill. Isn't that enough reason to actually, you know, get him into a hospital or some kind of medical care instead of locking him up in a cell? Wouldn't the fact that he acted like he was paralyzed for almost a week straight be terrifying and worthy of medical attention in and on itself? Wouldn't throwing a mentally ill, immobile (be it because of mental or physical problems), helpless person under a running shower akin to torture either way?

I just...what the fuck?

God, that's beyond cruel. Paralyzed and isolated from your loved ones and taunted all the while. Doused with water? Screaming for help? The people responsible are inhuman and deserve to be put away for life. If they did it knowingly, they deserve death.

So, wait...

Let's imagine for a moment he actually DID fake the injury. He was mentally ill. Isn't that enough reason to actually, you know, get him into a hospital or some kind of medical care instead of locking him up in a cell? Wouldn't the fact that he acted like he was paralyzed for almost a week straight be terrifying and worthy of medical attention in and on itself? Wouldn't throwing a mentally ill, immobile (be it because of mental or physical problems), helpless person under a running shower akin to torture either way?

I just...what the fuck?

Good point.

Some atrocities are so unspeakable, they ought to be seared into people's minds with graphic imagery. This is one of those things, especially with the counter-reactionary force of right wing media relentlessly pushing a narrative that says that shit doesnt happen. Or if it does, the victim "had it coming to them"

So, wait...

I just...what the fuck?

only white men are allowed to suffer from mental illness.

darscot

The kind of person that would leap to murder over this is the kind of person who would leap to murder from just reading the article. For me, it's not worth worrying about the thought processes of maniacs.

I think people should watch the video because I think there are way too many people who are satisfied being at arms length from this stuff. They read about it and forget about it. Without actually seeing it, people are too eager to dismiss any efforts made to changing it. People need their god-like image of the law enforcement resoundingly crushed and people need to see that the suffering people of color go through isn't all in their heads. For those people words aren't enough and they need images in their head.

I don't pretend to know what makes other people lose their shit. I just believe everyone has a point and I don't push that point in myself. I myself have no god like image that requires crushing, I also fully believe the struggle going on with people of color in certain areas of the world. I just don't make decisions for other people, I believe in freedom, I can make an argument and people are free to do as they please. Accept it or disregard it, that is their choice. People are angry and words in anger are rarely good.

Insertia

13043286_10209669083911808_3252228731234749589_n.jpg

Cops being bad again in America. Sad to say but wasn't that shocked by the story considering the average story you hear about cops in America.

Disgusting. Really hard to read that. What the hell is going on? How can people be that evil when they are hired into a profession that's suppose to protect and defend?

Looking at twitter right now, I swear to GOD if Shaun King plagiarizing the text of the original Daily Beast story gets more media attention than a veteran being tortured to death, theres no greater evidence America does.not.give.a.fuck.

Mendrox

There are no words to describe this. What the fuck is wrong with ALL those people. It is not just a single individual.

Yes I don't understand this too. I mean I want to help this man only by watching this video and they are there and still think he is faking shit? Please karma give them justice.

And whoever is responsible for every soul that gets taken, please give him peace.

Guess the "group mentally" and having power does this to these people. Sad.

bunbun777

I have read a lot of disgusting things that men do to each other and this is the first time I really wish for vigilante justice. I know it won't bring him back or make up for it but maybe it'd put fear into the groups that think they can get away with this. Probably wouldn't.

Looking at twitter right now, I swear to GOD if Shaun King plagiarizing the text of the original Daily Beast story gets more media attention than a veteran being tortured to death, theres no greater evidence America does.not.give.a.fuck.

The information culture of the USA has jumped the shark ages ago.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Everyone responsible for this deserves at least 10-15 years in prison. They killed the man. They sat there and just watched him die.

Unbelievable.

That seems pretty light for first-degree murder with special circumstances.

Even if he didn't die of the broken neck, he would probably have gotten pneumonia from lying on cold concrete.

That's a myth.

Takuan

If they had a shred of honor, they'd resign. If there were any justice, they'd lose their jobs and serve jail time. If the country appreciated its troops, they'd have given him the help he needed.

It's truly a sad state of affairs.

Then he tried to explain away Williams’s treatment. “People just die sometimes,” he said, according to court records
I don't mean to be another one of those "I have no words" type posts but this... I truly don't know what to say.

roknin

I got halfway through the video before I started physically shaking.

Just... fuck.

I don't mean to be another one of those "I have no words" type posts but this... I truly don't know what to say.

This is one of those cases where that's perfectly okay.

The insane lack of empathy is frightening. I hope the people involved end up in jail for a long time, sociopathic behavior like that is a danger to society.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

I think you already know how this is going to turn out.

TalonJH

Everyone should force themselves to watch the video. Its one of the most pitiful things Ive seen in my life and wouldnt look out of place juxtaposed to the motherfucking treatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib.
Everyone should see the way this man was treated. Worse than a rabid animal.

I kind of agree with this.

Mass One

When the next time this happens ( and it will happen ), could you not put the word black anywhere in the title or op. I have a theory the people are indifferent and don't really care.

Better yet could you lie, I'm curious as to the reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom