• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops Taunted Black Veteran as He Died (Up: settlement, no charges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfo

Banned
I hope they charge all of those bastards to the fullest extent of the law, and I hope his family sue the living shit out of that police department!

Shmuppers

:/

Rest in peace, brother.

FoodCity_Salute_Still1.jpg

I think you already know how this is going to turn out.

It doesnt make it any easier to digest. People literally dont give a flying fuck. Theyd rather tweet polemics about a journalist they hate. So much for the "inner good" in most of us.
(Shaun King is a top US twitter trend at over 12k tweets ATM)

Shaun King is awesome. Twitter is just about those "ethics in journalism" and by that I mean shitting on black people. Fuck everyone involved in this man's death.

I'm just about reminded daily of the iniquity of humans. I wonder how much further we would be along as a species if we didn't have such maliciousness.

GhostBed

Just completely inhuman...Really disturbing to see anyone have this kind of attitude. What must have been their reaction upon finding his corpse? How can you sleep at night after torturing a man to death?

Terrible that we're hearing about this years after the fact. Must be painful for the family to have this video played to the whole country, especially after so many years of silence.

TalonJH

Just completely inhuman...Really disturbing to see anyone have this kind of attitude. What must have been their reaction upon finding his corpse? How can you sleep at night after torturing a man to death?

Terrible that we're hearing about this years after the fact. Must be painful for the family to have this video played to the whole country, especially after so many years of silence.

It's in the video. They don't believe he's really dead. Then they go into panic mode trying to resuscitate while they wait for the paramedics. There is a strange moment where they try to pull the cover he is on, basically dragging him with it tell he rolls off. She throws it into the hallway and the examine him again and go backed to trying to resuscitate him again.

Watched it. Amazing how many people got involved once a corpse was lying there, but a living man who needs help? Fuck him.
"Fuck guys, do you think we're going to get it trouble for this?"

CREMSteve

Watched the whole video, is the least I can do to honour this man's memory. What I watched was unimaginable. There's no way anyone involved could not have realized what was happening. The man never moved for days. Never touched his food, his water. All while pleading for help.

The way they would peek into the cell and toss the food towards him, as if he was some sort of vicious animal that could attack at any time... he wasn't even in for any violent charges. What possible reasoning would they have to be frightened of him to the extent that they were afraid to help him.

Just a truly sad and disappointing video, but I'm so glad it got released.

I can't watch... No I won't watch... It's just too damn much.

Please tell me that people are formally being investigated and charged in this...

PLEASE!?!?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
None of this is going to change because America has a disgusting empathy problem, especially when minorities are involved.

The officers didn't care about the victim's broken neck because they didn't view him as another human being, criminal or not, that needed help.

Time and time again, we see this empathy switch get turned off when the victim is black/other minority, but Americans have a particular disdain against blacks and people from the Middle East. It's disgusting that this man was treated WORSE than an animal. Those officers wouldn't have dreamed of doing this to their pets, or even a rabid dog that attacked them.

Until proven otherwise, I will never see America as more than a bigoted, racist cesspool. We shouldn't be afraid of police. I'm terrified when I walk down the street and a patrol car drives by. It's been shown over and over that you don't even have to be doing anything wrong. Just walking while black is enough to get you in their sights. It's happened to me. I've seen it happen to family and friends. It happens to strangers on a regular basis, but the majority of the time cameras aren't rolling, so it's our word against theirs, and God forbid the non-black majority give our account the benefit of the doubt.

I'm disgusted by this story, but I'm not shocked by it. I'm numb to the shock. This is how it is on America. Until people start seeing us as human beings worthy of compassion and empathy, it's never going to change. I'm perpetually saddened by the fact that the country of my birth hates me.

I hope this family gets Justice, but seriously, do any of us actually expect that to happen? I'm too jaded and cynical to hope for anything other than the foregone conclusion.

ghostmind

The medical director, however, took no action. The director later testified he didn’t remember the doctor’s conversation but “if it happened, it was my bad.”

I'm sorry - I don't usually comment on these types of threads, but this is beyond the pale.

You killed a man, and it is "my bad"?

It's in the video. They don't believe he's really dead. Then they go into panic mode trying to resuscitate while they wait for the paramedics. There is a strange moment where they try to pull the cover he is on, basically dragging him with it tell he rolls off. She throws it into the hallway and the examine him again and go backed to trying to resuscitate him again.

"Fuck guys, do you think we're going to get it trouble for this?"

"Maybe he's faking his death, too!"

"Uh, no pulse, boss."

"Damn, he's good. He's like Leonardo DiCaprio, but black."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Seriously, we need mental checks before hiring police to the force. Far too many cannot handle having power without abusing it and living out sick torture fantasies like this one. He was just faking it my black ass.

The banality of evil.

These cops are not mentally ill. Most would check out just fine mentally.

Dryk

I thought American cops had run out of ways to make me sick, hello again. I think the thing that surprises and abhors me the most is that determining if someone is paralysed below the neck isn't that fucking hard. Just poke him with a stick or something and see if he reacts. Poking dying black people with sticks seems like the sort of activity that these cops would get off on too so there's no reason not to.

GhostBed

Thanks, couldn't bring myself to watch the video.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I truly don't understand how this happens. Police in my area won't take medical responsibility for anybody. Every single nonsense nothing complaint gets brought into my ER so I can give them my blessing. They don't even let drunks with no complaints sleep it off in a drunk tank anymore, they clog up my ER with them. So how on earth does something like this happen anywhere?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I could barely make it through half the article let alone a video. Every staff member and officer needs to be changed to the full extent of the law. This world man, Christ!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I told my mom about this story. She kept cutting me off so she could victim-blame. She was a nurse in a (California) prison and it sounds like this is pretty standard stuff to hear her tell it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I told my mom about this story. She kept cutting me off so she could victim-blame. She was a nurse in a (California) prison and it sounds like this is pretty standard stuff to hear her tell it.

Your mom is a bad person :(

minx

I truly don't understand how this happens. Police in my area won't take medical responsibility for anybody. Every single nonsense nothing complaint gets brought into my ER so I can give them my blessing. They don't even let drunks with no complaints sleep it off in a drunk tank anymore, they clog up my ER with them. So how on earth does something like this happen anywhere?

My department calls the paramedics anytime someone asks for them even if the injury appears made up. Most of the time it is because they would rather spend time in a hospital than a cell for the night.

Likely because this is a prison with professional medical staff including doctors, psychiatrists, nurses. All who would have made the ultimate decision to not seek more medical help. The officers would have only been able to refer him to the on site medical staff who rejected any treatment. But the OP and many posts are fuck the police" regardless of this. Not surprising.

Ive seen the video, everyone at this facility comes off looking like shit.

The corrections officers:
-Placed a cup of water just outside the victims reach and left it there for days
-Threw containers of food at him
-Threw him off a gurney and doused him with a cold shower

There is no "but it was the medical staff, not us" here. And fuck anyone who says they were "just following orders."

cameron

Ive seen the video, everyone at this facility comes off looking like shit.

The corrections officers:
-Placed a cup of water just outside the victims reach and left it there for days
-Threw containers of food at him
-Threw him off a gurney and doused him with a cold shower

There is no "but it was the medical staff, not us" here. And fuck anyone who says they were "just following orders."

The post above you, by a law enforcement official, is "not surprising." The content of the video is irrelevant. As always.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Forget the lawsuit, where's the jail time for the people at the jail where this happened (well, no, don't forget the lawsuit, I hope they take every person and organization involved to the cleaners).

23qwerty

My department calls the paramedics anytime someone asks for them even if the injury appears made up. Most of the time it is because they would rather spend time in a hospital than a cell for the night.

Likely because this is a prison with professional medical staff including doctors, psychiatrists, nurses. All who would have made the ultimate decision to not seek more medical help. The officers would have only been able to refer him to the on site medical staff who rejected any treatment. But the OP and many posts are fuck the police" regardless of this. Not surprising.
that's right man #notallcops #bluelivesmatter etc etc etc

gotta go damage control even when there's there's an indefensible crime against humanity yeah?

disgusting

Aselith

Not gonna watch the video because that sounds like nightmare fuel but that it is absolutely insane and the whole staff should be in jail.

minx

that's right man #notallcops #bluelivesmatter etc etc etc

gotta go damage control even when there's there's an indefensible crime against humanity yeah?

disgusting

I didn't say that law enforcement officers didn't make mistakes here, just pointing out the clear bias present when the ultimate decision that lead to death here made made by medical staff. What's disgusting to me is how this entire thread is mostly about how bad the police fucked up when it was really a decision made by medical staff. Not even to mention correctional officers aren't police but that goes to show how ignorant many posts in here are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom