• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a Half Life 3 ever live up to expectations if it ever came to be?

Purkake4

Banned
I think the hype cycle has long since burned itself out. HL3 is just an ironic meme at this point. I think we're actually far enough now that if they released it without too much fanfare it would get an even shake and just probably be a competent end to the trilogy.

n0razi

I think they are waiting on Vive 2.0.... it needs to be the "killer VR app". That's the only way. Vive 1.0 still has too many drawbacks.

Nah.

Even if we get it, it probably won't be what we're hoping for. Expect some weird online co-op game as a service microtransaction cosmetic gun skins loot box key crap.

I'd honestly rather have Left 4 Dead 3.

So you rather want that you don't want? Because what you described sounds like a potential L4D3.

A-V-B

I think the hype cycle has long since burned itself out. HL3 is just an ironic meme at this point. I think we're actually far enough now that if they released it without too much fanfare it would get an even shake and just probably be a competent end to the trilogy.

This is all I want. A competent end. Lemme shoots em up the bad aliens and the g-man and me = happy camper plz thx

Spoo

No, see Duke Nukem Forever for reference.

While the answer to the question may still be "No", I'm pretty confident in saying that Valve has handled HL3 in a much different way than 3DR handled DNF. I mean, whereas Valve has been rather consistent in suggesting that there's no fire, and no smoke, DNF was a constant smoke situation. For years it was suggested, re-suggested, over and over than not only is DNF still in development, but that things were going "well" (despite it obviously never being the case). For fans of HL, you have no real reason to be overly excited about the game, if it ever materializes. DNF on the other hand, the devs kept that train rolling even when it was obvious to everyone it was on fire.

So yeah, the answer may still be "No." Could be. But I know that I don't have *any* expectations for a HL3; I have no reason to suppose it exists. Or that it's coming. So if tomorrow Valve says "Hey guys, it's been in development and is coming out in 1 month", my personal expectations won't be built up to unreasonable levels.

Stevey

I just want a conclusion to H2:ep2's cliffhanger ending written by Marc Laidlaw, with returning characters, consistent Half-Life-style gameplay, and better graphics. I don't want my mind blown. I just want a goddamn ending. I want Gordon and Alyx's revenge and then I'll be happy forever.

This.
Come on, Valve.

meerak

No, come on, don't be ridiculous. Pretty much nothing that has expectations meets it, except when those expectations are low as shit.

jelly

Next gen close up of Alyx talking showing off Valve's animation work then Gordon says something.....it's crowbarring time!

Would that be awesome and rage at the same time. Is the mute Freeman not to be changed?

Sneak in yay science, lets science the shit out of this.

pr0cs

Sadly HL3 will never be released, valve has no incentive since steam has a licence to print money

jelly

Sadly HL3 will never be released, valve has no incentive since steam has a licence to print money

I like to think single player games can have their time again. Wolfenstien, Doom, Deus Ex. It's great. Join us Half Life then let mods and L4D3 do the rest. This online engagement shite needs to go away sometimes.

No. Most of the big genius behind the Half Life series has left for greener pastures rather than spend their entire careers spinning their wheels on microtransaction-driven multiplayer titles and hardware initiatives that will go nowhere.

Laidlaw retired from the industry, Antonov went to Arkane, a few others founded their own indie studios/went to Blizzard/other major studios/etc.

If Half Life 3 is made at this point, it won't be with remotely the same team responsible for the original games.

KingV

Next gen close up of Alyx talking showing off Valve's animation work then Gordon says something.....it's crowbarring time!

Would that be awesome and rage at the same time. Is the mute Freeman not to be changed?

Sneak in yay science, lets science the shit out of this.

Haha, yes. I want them to finally give freeman a personality, and it turns out that he is basically duke nukem

Top Bottom