• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the 60 fps hack & slash genre be going the way of the dinosaurs?

gconsole

This genre is closely following fighting genre. It will soon become niche. And only big franchise can stay alive. With 1 game per console generation.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27228/NPD_Bayonetta_MAG_Darksiders_Crack_January_Top_20.php

bayonetta sold like crap in the US, look at its first month npd, in comparison ninja gaiden 2 out sold it 5 to 1 on 360 alone vs ps3/360. It got to 1.3 million shipped cause of Japan and being in the bargain bin in the west, and that was at a time when action games sold much better then now.

Np, Ninja Gaiden sold like garbage in Japan in exchange :p

Based Itagaki will save the genre.

Believe.
His game though looks more like a cover-based shooter with added melee. Kinda like Vanquish in that regards. And one game won't "save" the genre. What we need is a decent amount of titles being made by different companies. Because if only one game with a great quality was enough, Bayonetta 2 is already out.

Seyavesh

i want to believe
J1at8To.jpg

edit:
also no more grimy/gritty ever please
i want this all day:
ScalyBossyFishingcat.gif

i still revel in the fact that capcom straight up pretended DmC didn't exist in their 30th anniversary book

Heh, I was daydreaming about making a 2D character action game like this once: write full code in my spare time, make it work with stickman animations and beeps for sound, release a proof of concept working demo and run a kickstarter to fund proper audiovisuals (and most likely just hire people that can make those properly). I'm a programmer so I guess I could say I would be able to do it on a purely theoretical level, given enough time, but I never worked on games outside of some little projects I messed around with for fun. But I can immediately see a ton of pitfalls with a character action game (getting cancelling just right, managing performance and responsiveness of the controls, designing architecture that allowed me to fine-tune every little detail in a working prototype etc.), and I dread to think of the pitfalls that must be out there that I can't yet see.

Yeah, same. I bet designing a game with a "remaster" planned for the end of development would have some technical kinks to work out, but it would be a freeing way to design games. If the games industry didn't rely so heavily on graphics and spectacle, they would probably try that method of game design out. Arguably designing everything on an equivalent level of quality at the same time makes the most sense for a big developer who already has lots of employees to make use of, but I wonder if Nintendo (for example) works out most of the gameplay before seeing what they can do with the graphics. It would be nice to work out most of the pitfalls you were talking about before everything else. A nice thing with indies is that min/maxing performance is pretty much a non issue, because competing with this generation's level of graphical detail is already a lost cause. No one would expect an indie developer to compete with a multi-million dollar game, and consoles are so strong that worrying about performance seems like it'd be a thing of the past. Obviously plugging memory leaks and things is still important, but that's really bug testing.

i want to believe
J1at8To.jpg

edit:
also no more grimy/gritty ever please
i want this all day:
ScalyBossyFishingcat.gif

i still revel in the fact that capcom straight up pretended DmC didn't exist in their 30th anniversary book

As much as I like DmC, I have to agree that the old series is a lot better. I'm pretty sure Capcom agrees.

Man I'd love another 'good' Ninja Gaiden

I just started Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the first time. I bought it on a whim recently, and I've heard good things. So far it seems like it is a little less about crowd control and more on crowd evasion. In DMC its often times about inflicting a ton of damage on a large amount of enemies all at once, but in Ninja Gaiden it seems like the combat is designed to make the player always stay on their toes, ready to dodge at any moment. It makes for some quick action, and the almost one-on-one "3 second combat loop" seems pretty exhilarating. It's like Bungie's "30 second combat loop" idea, jump in, do your worst, get out of there before your swiss cheese, rinse, repeat. A lot of interesting ideas for character action that neither DMC nor Bayonetta express. Cool so far.

God of War isn't really a character action game though, very different goals and limited combo potential. In any case God of War games run at 60 FPS as much as any platinum game on console does
2% of the time

I wouldn't say it's limited combo potential. Just different. There are some really awesome things you can do in God of War that just aren't possible in the other games, like the environmental stuff. Not saying it's better, just different.

Top Bottom