• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Country clubs are amazing

• Thread starter Deleted member 102481
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I am a member of one, but where I work pays for it. I was a member of a different one in NC before I moved here, paid for it myself. I did it for the golf. I don't feel like I've ever been a "country club" type. Even though I have been playing golf since I was a little kid, I have played mostly at public golf courses. But one of the course I grew up playing was semi-private, you didn't have to be a member to play, but you couldn't use the clubhouse or locker room if you weren't a member. It was a real old money summer resort club, they just didn't have enough members to support it on its own, but they were sort of snobby IMO.

Not that impressed with the place I belong to now, poorly run, staff, facilities are meh, course is OK, tennis is very big at this club. I never use anything but the golf course/driving range, they haven't been overly friendly. I liked my old club, good golf course, found a good group of guys to play with. Didn't cost an arm and a leg to join. The guys I played with called it the "redneck" country club, no real "old money' types, which the other clubs in the area had. We had a mixed membership, several black members, but not a whole lot, a couple of Asian members, full women members, (some places don't allow that), but the diversity wasn't that great, but probably better than most.....

But I have been to many other clubs that definitely had a snooty/snobby feel to them, never felt comfortable there. I've played at places that don't allow ANY shorts for men, that is just stupid...... I am a put your golf shoes on in the parking lot type of guy, when you start telling me I have to do that in the locker room, I might tell you to go F yourself.....

akira28

I like extra pockets for all my phones and screwdrivers and gaffers tape and flashlights, etc. Don't really do the shorts thing but cargo pants are useful.

Great memories of Longmeadow CC in MA, as a youngster visiting my Grandparents (my Gran made it to 103 and I of course ensured she got a birthday message on her 100th from President Obama (& Michelle), which now has pride of place above my living room desk) :).

Most of the time we just hanged out at the outdoor pool, with a tab running at the nosh counter, with tasty burgers, hot dogs and lemonade on tap. Also played some tennis and golf and on occasion we dined at the top-notch restaurant. I remember one time at the restaurant there was an impressive thunderstorm and an almighty bang when lightning split a tree in two in the car park. Happy days.

3Sixty

Don't think country clubs are really a thing in the UK.

I am a member at a golf club though and 90% of people are cool.

Dominator

My uncle is and we go to eat there constantly. He has to reach a certain amount of money spent every year so he likes to take advantage of the great food. If he doesn't hit his quota by spending enough money, he has to just pay the rest anyway so why not.

Its very nice and the golf course is fantastic. Also met a few celebs during some golf outings.

The only country club i was looked like it was straight out of the 19th century. Rich snobby old white people served by countless black people and latinos.
That was in florida,btw

It was unsettling, to say at least.

way more

Just don't let people know that you go to one. Once you are labeled a "club" type you get some dirty looks from those who are jealous and don't know how to manage their money to afford membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom