• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couples inventing a new last name when getting married...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagey

Banned
Welp, first thread. Figured I'd have made one about forgotten games like Quest 64 before this.

My soon-to-be fiance (picking out rings) doesn't like my last name. So when it comes to marriage and the tradition of the wife taking the husband's last name, she's not a fan of taking my name. She's traditional, so she doesn't want me to switch to her last name. Problem for her is she just doesn't like the prospect of taking mine after marriage. And the idea of each of us retaining our names seems bizarre to her. I'm indifferent.

Well, the solution she and her friends brainstormed was for us to pick a new last name and both change to whatever we choose. So John Doe and Jane Smith become Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor. Or some shit like that. I'd be the jerk who picks the last name of some Final Fantasy character and laughs to myself whenever I write my name somewhere.

I hadn't even considered this to be an option. So the question is... what would you do?

- For the men, would you do this?

- For the men and the women, is my aversion to changing my name despite not caring for my name (more below) a bad thing? Does it make sense even if its irrational? Is it just a byproduct of a patriarchal society with the male dominating relationships, one that would lead to Jezebel commenters tearing me apart?

My thoughts on my last name:

#1. My last name is ugly. I don't care for it.* For something with so few letters, it doesn't roll off the tongue, it's not pleasant to say or hear, it doesn't even look nice when spelled out. My mother doesn't care for it. I don't think my father cares for it either; he would have rather had his mother's maiden name because it was Italian.

#2. The name doesn't mean shit anymore about preserving a family lineage. My parents are divorced. My mother reverted back to her maiden name. My grandparents are divorced. My grandmother remarried and took a new name. My grandfather with the last name is estranged, disappeared over a decade ago with some new woman, and no one in the family cares about him. The only people with my last name are my father, brother, sister, and one uncle. Four people. That's it. No one else in the extended family has this last name. And my extended family (through second cousins) is huge.

Edit:

How can you not tell us the name after a build up like that.

Eh fuck it. Last name is Gruber.

Yes. Like Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Often mispronounced by people reading it for the first time as "Grubber", and so few people get the damn movie reference. It's also an ugly sounding name to say or read, which is why it works for a German bad guy in an action movie.

On top of that, my grandfather on my father's side is part German because his dad was part German. That's as deep as the German/Austrian goes. It's like an odd relic that got passed down with no meaning behind it.

blugbox

Neo Member
I'd say if it's not a big deal for you, then change it. Make both of you happy. Although I was under the impression the new last name must be a combination of letters from both last names (doesn't have to use all of them).

Thaedolus

I actually like my fiance's last name better than mine, but I'm still attached to it and don't want to make my family feel like I'm alienating them. She wants to take it too, so that's that I guess.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
No. She should either take your name or keep her own. Don't change your name.

andycapps

I can't tell you what to do, but my reaction would be hell no. My wife took my name, but she changed her middle name to her maiden name. So she still retains that as well.

Lerozz

I would not mind the possibility to actually combine both of your surnames to one. Not like Smith-Taylor but something like Smilor or similar. Man, that sounds stupid. XD

I feel like the last name would have to be pretty bad for me not want to use it and to be honest I'd feel a little offended if a girl told me she didn't want my last name for no other reason then she just doesn't like it (I don't care if she wants to keep a name for professional reasons or wanting to hyphenate or whatever that's 100% fine).

However you both seem to have little intrest in keeping it, so change it, brain storm a name you both appreciate and maybe has meaning to you, maybe a family member that you respect or whatever. Just keep in mind that you're going to have to explain this seemingly random name change to everyone that knows you.

Guevara

I've run into that a few times before. I consider myself pretty progressive, but I still think it's weird. Especially when you combine names into some kind of portmanteau, like Jones + Taylor become Jaylor or Tones or something (yes that happens).

Bear

Why don't you just take on your mother's maiden name? Might as well roll with it for consistency, rather than make up something new.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I think you just wrote my vows for me brah.

Hustle. Loyalty. Respect.

End your vows like this:
Cena_spit_1_large_display_image.jpg

Welp, first thread. Figured I'd have made one about forgotten games like Quest 64 before this.

My soon-to-be fiance (picking out rings) doesn't like my last name. So when it comes to marriage and the tradition of the wife taking the husband's last name, she's not a fan of taking my name. She's traditional, so she doesn't want me to switch to her last name. Problem for her is she just doesn't like the prospect of taking mine after marriage. And the idea of each of us retaining our names seems bizarre to her. I'm indifferent.

Well, the solution she and her friends brainstormed was for us to pick a new last name and both change to whatever we choose. So John Doe and Jane Smith become Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor. Or some shit like that. I'd be the jerk who picks the last name of some Final Fantasy character and laughs to myself whenever I write my name somewhere.

I hadn't even considered this to be an option. So the question is... what would you do?

- For the men, would you do this?

- For the men and the women, is my aversion to changing my name despite not caring for my name (more below) a bad thing? Does it make sense even if its irrational? Is it just a byproduct of a patriarchal society with the male dominating relationships, one that would lead to Jezebel commenters tearing me apart?

My thoughts on my last name:

#1. My last name is ugly. I don't care for it.* For something with so few letters, it doesn't roll off the tongue, it's not pleasant to say or hear, it doesn't even look nice when spelled out. My mother doesn't care for it. I don't think my father cares for it either; he would have rather had his mother's maiden name because it was Italian.

#2. The name doesn't mean shit anymore about preserving a family lineage. My parents are divorced. My mother reverted back to her maiden name. My grandparents are divorced. My grandmother remarried and took a new name. My grandfather with the last name is estranged, disappeared over a decade ago with some new woman, and no one in the family cares about him. The only people with my last name are my father, brother, sister, and one uncle. Four people. That's it. No one else in the extended family has this last name. And my extended family (through second cousins) is huge.

*it's uncommon, so for privacy reasons I'd prefer not to divulge. sorry bout dat.
Based of #1 and 2, it sounds like you should go ahead with this idea (especially as she likes the idea and you don't mind it).

Personally, I think it's a neat little neo-tradition that I wouldn't mind following myself.
You are after all creating a new family, taking the best of two previous ones. So why not create a new family name rather than taking one of the combined families' names?

I guess this is more common in areas where people aren't too fussed about legacy and whatnot. I fully understand how it sounds like a bad idea if you value family name lineage.

DJ_Lae

I wouldn't change my last name, although I don't hate it (no one ever spells it correctly the first time, though).

My girlfriend's locked in, though - our two daughters already have my last name, so she has no choice when we get married. Well, I guess she does, but I know she has no attachment to her own last name.

I really don't care for hyphenating last names upon marriage, though.

Steelrain

Hell no. I'd tell her to keep her name if she hates mine.

My last name is awesome anyway so i'd never run into this situation.

zerotol

Banned
My wife kept her last name and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. My parents fell apart years ago, it means nothing to me. If you wanna choose new last names, go for it, but it seems like it would be a pain in the ass.

No one should change their name. It's such a pain in the ass to change your name. You can still be married and not have the same last name. If I ever get married again I wouldn't expect/want her to change her name.

first question: is it legal?

i can only speak for NY, but in NY, when you get married, a new surname has to be a current or past legal surname of one of the people getting married, or a combination of the surnames of both people. so you can't just invent a new one.

Dude Abides

Banned
You just keeping your own names "seems bizarre to her" but creating this dumb horrible name bingo situation, which nobody else does, doesn't seem bizarre?

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
In my opinion, you're killing the heritage behind your last name. There's no history or lineage to whatever you make up (although, sure, there will be in the future). I'd say, at best, stick with the hyphen. Blahblah [her last name]-[your last name]. Touchdown.

Giolon

A friend of mine at work did this. They ended up taking an older family name that they liked. I find it's a far better idea than this stupid hyphenation that's taken hold in the last decade. Hyphenation only works for 1 generation. After that, are your kids expected to name their kids Jimmy McMillan-Jones-Williams-Brandy?

i can only speak for NY, but in NY, when you get married, a new surname has to be a current or past legal surname of one of the people getting married, or a combination of the surnames of both people. so you can't just invent a new one.

You'd just have to change your surname prior to marriage then, and have the other person take it upon marriage.
Doesn't sound like a problem at all tbh (unless it's hard to get your surname changed outside of marriage).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

"Ugly" really is a bad name though.

No really, you basically have to tell us your last name now!

Cagey

Banned
Why don't you just take on your mother's maiden name? Might as well roll with it for consistency, rather than make up something new.

It's another ethnic European name that I'm like 1/16th and have zero ties to the culture.

Manning for obvious reasons.

But then when I inevitably name the first born Eli, it gets real weird.

As a person in the middle of a divorce, ask me anything about how I feel about a made up shared name.

Good point.

My wife hyphenated her last name and mine. Honestly, I wish she hasn't done that because now its so damn long that its created problems on at least 2 occasions. Haha

Anyway, if you're going to pick a new last name, I would go with McBadass.

I think it's shitty that she wont take your last name. How can she says she's traditional and then go, "Let's just make up a whole different last name, because I don't like yours."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My mother hyphenated her last name to combine both of them. When I can afford to I'm going to legally get my last name changed to the same thing.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Op changes name, then wife takes new name. Done.

Personally, I think that's kinda a cool idea.

OMG OP MACGRUBER!

edit: No suggestion of Max Power? GAF is slipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom