• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couples inventing a new last name when getting married...

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
From Wiki, I learned your name is the most common surname in Bavaria/Austria and means a person from a mine or pit. Imagine your ancestors mining rare jewels and living in castles. And you want to change it?

Ketch

I hate my first name AND last name. After 29 years with it I still feel awkward telling people my name.... But I could never change it, that would be like giving up. My name doesn't define me, I define it.

OP I think you and your wife need to own that shit. Be the coolest Grubers ever.

Also Imagine how weird it would be to get everyone who knows you to stop calling you John Gruber, and start calling you John thundercock.

A friend of mine, whose parents weren't married and separated when she was young, has both her father and mother's surname in double-barrelled form. She used to joke about how it made her sound like landed gentry.

gblues

Banned
Welp, first thread. Figured I'd have made one about forgotten games like Quest 64 before this.

My soon-to-be fiance (picking out rings) doesn't like my last name. So when it comes to marriage and the tradition of the wife taking the husband's last name, she's not a fan of taking my name. She's traditional, so she doesn't want me to switch to her last name. Problem for her is she just doesn't like the prospect of taking mine after marriage. And the idea of each of us retaining our names seems bizarre to her. I'm indifferent.

Well, the solution she and her friends brainstormed was for us to pick a new last name and both change to whatever we choose. So John Doe and Jane Smith become Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor. Or some shit like that. I'd be the jerk who picks the last name of some Final Fantasy character and laughs to myself whenever I write my name somewhere.

I hadn't even considered this to be an option. So the question is... what would you do?

- For the men, would you do this?

- For the men and the women, is my aversion to changing my name despite not caring for my name (more below) a bad thing? Does it make sense even if its irrational? Is it just a byproduct of a patriarchal society with the male dominating relationships, one that would lead to Jezebel commenters tearing me apart?

My thoughts on my last name:

#1. My last name is ugly. I don't care for it.* For something with so few letters, it doesn't roll off the tongue, it's not pleasant to say or hear, it doesn't even look nice when spelled out. My mother doesn't care for it. I don't think my father cares for it either; he would have rather had his mother's maiden name because it was Italian.

#2. The name doesn't mean shit anymore about preserving a family lineage. My parents are divorced. My mother reverted back to her maiden name. My grandparents are divorced. My grandmother remarried and took a new name. My grandfather with the last name is estranged, disappeared over a decade ago with some new woman, and no one in the family cares about him. The only people with my last name are my father, brother, sister, and one uncle. Four people. That's it. No one else in the extended family has this last name. And my extended family (through second cousins) is huge.

Edit:

Eh fuck it. Last name is Gruber.

Yes. Like Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Often mispronounced by people reading it for the first time as "Grubber", and so few people get the damn movie reference. It's also an ugly sounding name to say or read, which is why it works for a German bad guy in an action movie.

On top of that, my grandfather on my father's side is part German because his dad was part German. That's as deep as the German/Austrian goes. It's like an odd relic that got passed down with no meaning behind it.

Why the fuck not? You hate it, she hates it, and neither of you are attached to it.

If you want to keep the Die Hard villain theme, go with Stuart.

t-ramp

Gruber isn't that bad.

Personally, I don't mind my last name, but would prefer to have a more traditional first name than Tyler. Not that I plan on changing it, though.

i would never change my last name, and my fiance is pretty excited to take mine because its awesome.

I've run into that a few times before. I consider myself pretty progressive, but I still think it's weird. Especially when you combine names into some kind of portmanteau, like Jones + Taylor become Jaylor or Tones or something (yes that happens).

one of my best friends is probably doing that. they just got married and havent taken any steps yet but he tells me that is most likely.

I've always found Icelandic surnames fascinating.

this is essentially how russians get middle names. i assume there are other cultures that do similar things.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You don't like "Gruber"? Why? It's perfectly fine.

If you're soon to be wife is so "traditional", she'd just take it. Otherwise, just keep your own names.

If you must make a new name, your mom's maiden name should probably be your first choice since your dad liked it.

But by all means holy, do not hyphenate your last names.

Camjo-Z

Yes. Like Hans Gruber from Die Hard. Often mispronounced by people reading it for the first time as "Grubber", and so few people get the damn movie reference.

Take pride in it, man! You were the best member of the Gangreen Gang!!

tumblr_ln9x5gZXcg1qjj2ado1_500.png

I don't think it matters. My name's fine and I could see myself keeping my name, changing my name to my partner's, or coming up with a new name. I think changing your first name would be hard, because it's what you've been called all your life and the association would be so strong, but to me my surname is little more than a dangler.

I've always found Icelandic surnames fascinating.

Basically, you take your father's name, add an s, and then add son if you're male or dóttir if you're female.

So in the Wikipedia example, if your father's name is Jon, your last name is either Jonsson (Jon's son) or Jonsdóttir (Jon's daughter).

There's no real concept of a family name. It's strange but really interesting.

That applies to some other nordic parts as well as my family is norwegian. My mother's family did the same thing and I have my mother's maiden name as my middle.

FyreWulff

Taking my wife's last name, or making a straight legal name change if that doesn't happen soon that I've already chosen. Last name is terrible and I'd like to finally be independent of other family members that have the same name.

Snake

I have a horrible last name and I'd never want my wife or children to be burdened with it. In my case though my potential mate has a pretty rad name and I doubt she'd want to give it up.

If it was me I'd just take her name. But since that supposedly isn't an option for you, and if you really don't want to give up your name, I'd say you should argue that picking a completely new name isn't at all fulfilling 'traditional' customs, and she's just as well keeping her maiden name.

Cagey, to address your questions and thoughts.

#1. Yes. I would, and I did. Both of our last names were very nondescript. Neither of us liked the way her new name would sound, or the way it would sound if I took her name. Both of us despised the idea of hyphenation. So the only logical choice was to take a new name. It is legal, the legalities just need to be complete before the ceremony.

#2. No, it is not a bad thing. If the thought of doing it makes you less happy than the act of changing it would, don't do it. Your fiancee should, and, I believe would, accept that.

#3. If you truly don't care for it, change it. You'll both be happier, it seems.

But let me say that the idea that doing so forsakes your ancestors or somehow makes your lineage non-existent is as equally narrow-minded as sticking with tradition for tradition's sake. Just make sure whatever you choose it's the right choice for your (and her) own actual reasons, not perceived ones.

Minamu

I'd never do that. As much shit as I've gotten for my name over the years, I'll never change it. It's part Russian, part Swedish old school aristocracy and I'm proud of it.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
My wife still has her last name, we didn't think it was a big deal for her not to take my last name.

So, instead of extra paperwork, why not just agree not to change anything?

Pein

Banned
I have like the most common indian last name ever. In my high school there was dedicated desk just for people with my last name to pick up schedules. I wouldn't change it though, unless my girl has a really cool last name.

Cagey

Banned
I'm kinda surprised at the number of posters who have either 1) thought about this or 2) actually done it. I didn't know this was even a thing people did.

I've decided I don't want to change the name, but to respond to the lineage/ancestors concept...

From Wiki, I learned your name is the most common surname in Bavaria/Austria and means a person from a mine or pit. Imagine your ancestors mining rare jewels and living in castles. And you want to change it?

See the ancestors thing doesn't apply to me. My mother's side is Polish. My father's side was more than half Italian; my grandfather on that side was part-Italian and grandmother full Italian, but grandfather's father was German/Austrian (at least part German/Austrian) and thus the surname.

I've never known anyone from my grandfather's extended family except for him (no uncles etc.) and he divorced my grandmother when I was 6. I've got zero connection with anyone related to the lineage of my last name. My father always self-identified as Italian, because we're in New Jersey, and if you're part Italian, it means you're Italian, because Italian was "cool" (whatever). My father's extended family is exclusively his mother's family, who are all 100% Italian.

As a kid I was confused why my name was weird sounding when my father's family was all fully Italian. My mother's maiden name was Polish, because her dad was Polish. That made sense.

tl;dr -- I've got no connection to the last name beyond my grandfather, and in reality, it's just my father and no further.

I have like the most common indian last name ever. In my high school there was dedicated desk just for people with my last name to pick up schedules. I wouldn't change it though, unless my girl has a really cool last name.

patel or shah? lol my chem professor in undergrad always made the joke about pulling out the "p for patel" drawer when learning names because there are so many of them...

back on topic, OP your last name sounds fine. i dont think you should change it honestly.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've run into that a few times before. I consider myself pretty progressive, but I still think it's weird. Especially when you combine names into some kind of portmanteau, like Jones + Taylor become Jaylor or Tones or something (yes that happens).

The mayor of Los Angeles did that. He's divorced now. Awkward.

RSLAEV

I always figured if we moved abroad my wife and I could change our last names to 'American' so people could refer to us as "The Americans"

she would never agree to this :(

My wife still has her last name, we didn't think it was a big deal for her not to take my last name.

So, instead of extra paperwork, why not just agree not to change anything?

I second this. I kept my last name because I like it, my wife kept hers because she likes it, and we both thought there was something kind of creepy about taking over another person's last name.

Having said that, the idea of a new last name is neat. Probably a massive headache in terms of paperwork, but there's something neat about creating your own history like that.

CrankyJay

Banned
Eh, actually, I have friends who combined their last names for their child...but they kept their own because they're both published PHDs.

My Dad randomly changed his surname back in the 70's. Of course, I have inherited the changed surname.
His original name was "Smith", which I suspect he felt, was too common and/or boring.

Pein

Banned
patel or shah? lol my chem professor in undergrad always made the joke about pulling out the "p for patel" drawer when learning names because there are so many of them...

back on topic, OP your last name sounds fine. i dont think you should change it honestly.

singh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom