• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3: 10 minute pre-alpha gameplay demo

Interesting. So lets say I'm in single player (does this game have one?) can I still do all this destruction? Can I play single player entirely offline and expect this destruction or is it reliant on "the cloud"?

Maybe chunks of geometry under a certain size will disappear to conserve processing power?

Torment

Banned
This is the kind of demo they've always needed to demonstrate the cloud, an actual deliverable product that's not a dedicated server.

I wonder if they'll do some kind of horde mode and push the AI compute to the cloud as well. 4 players trying to stop waves of AI from destroying the city could be really cool.

This is a fantastic idea, I really want to see just a classic MP match with this level of destructibility.

SPDIF

Interesting. So lets say I'm in single player (does this game have one?) can I still do all this destruction? Can I play single player entirely offline and expect this destruction or is it reliant on "the cloud"?

Maybe chunks of geometry under a certain size will disappear to conserve processing power?

It has single player yes, but it's not cloud powered - it can be played entirely offline. So obviously don't be expecting 100% destructible environments.

This......is very impressive. I am looking forward to this one next year.

On a kind of, not really, note, this has me thinking......Had Microsoft actually kept the whole online only stuff, perhaps this technology could have been implemented in many more games. I'm not looking to get into a troll war with anyone, just simply stating that I wonder how much of this type of technology was in their plans. Yes yes, I understand the draconian nonsense, I'm talking from a tech standpoint. This is some impressive stuff that could have really set them apart from Sony. It's a shame.

USC-fan

Banned
Refreshing to has someone not push some PR message and give real talk. Clearly states it x times the "physic reserve for processing on xbox one console not the whole console itself."

The tech is very cool. In this tech demo they are using over powered weapon so in the real game it shouldn't even pushes the servers this hard.

No this is just one mode for multiplayer. It does not work like this in single player. It would be a nightmare since to have this in single player you would have to host every game in the "cloud." Like they are doing for multiplayer.

Then you have other problem since you can limit the time a multiplayer mode run unlike single player. you also have to have someway for the city to rebuild or it would be game breaking. They could do with just cause 3 doing and just let stuff respawn.

The destruction looks amazing, but what I wonder about is how this will affect the game in the long-term. So much of Crackdown is about verticality, so what happens when a player levels most of the buildings in the game? It makes me think that the actual level of destruction in the final product may be limited for gameplay reasons.

Carn82

Do we know if this cloud stuff is only for mulitplayer? What if now 10 Million people want to play the game at the same time? Will destruction be scaled back or turned off?

edit: he says, the world is persistent. Does that mean there are like 10 realms for all players and like 10k people share one realm and the level of destruction (with kind of respawn for buildings)?

My guess is there will be instances of X-amount of players.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Still looks like this is Multiplayer only destruction.

Makes sense, considering there were multiple physical servers handling that single multiplayer map, it would be a lot to ask to have everyone's entire single player game hosted by tons of physical servers.

Not to mention, in SP, persistence would be a huge issue.

Still. Somewhat disappointing.

Impressive, looks good. But I'm no fan of relying on cloud-processing because my internet sucks, so there is a big flaw in there for me!

ekim

This......is very impressive. I am looking forward to this one next year.

On a kind of, not really, note, this has me thinking......Had Microsoft actually kept the whole online only stuff, perhaps this technology could have been implemented in many more games. I'm not looking to get into a troll war with anyone, just simply stating that I wonder how much of this type of technology was in their plans. Yes yes, I understand the draconian nonsense, I'm talking from a tech standpoint. This is some impressive stuff that could have really set them apart from Sony. It's a shame.

They did to some point with dedicated servers. The destruction shown here can be switched on/off depending on whether you are online or not so I don't think the always online backflip was a reason.
Maybe the SDKs/integration into engines wasn't ready before now. I guess they put some serious brainwork into getting this to work.

This is some extremely impressive destruction. Safe to say it's the best I've ever seen in a game. Cool to see the cloud actually being put to use to improve a game.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Impressive, looks good. But I'm no fan of relying on cloud-processing because my internet sucks, so there is a big flaw in there for me!

This is for multiplayer. You would have similar trouble in any multiplayer game if your connection was that bad.

Destruction looks fantastic — it's been too long since Red Faction: Guerrilla.

The only thing I hope for is that destroying a building is appropriately difficult to do in the final game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really do not want to play this game with other people, I want to play Crackdown single player. WIll that mean I wont get the destruction/cloud computing?

Zedox

How old are you kid?

Anyways...I knew this type of stuff was coming, based off of //build/ videos. Good to see in game stuff. Can't wait for it next year. :)

I know the design means you have to be able to blow up the whole building to be able to blow up a wall but I think the ability to create smaller destruction will be better for the game. Like blowing holes in walls to escape. All the buildings have navigable interiors?

Alright, that looks good. I'll admit, just like many others, I was hugely skeptical, but they seem to be pulling the destructibility off. Now I just need to see what the actual game will be like. The destruction is nice, but it's not the main attraction. I want/need to see some gameplay, story, mechanics details.

I still can't believe there's a new Crackdown! The first game is one of my favorite games ever. This and especially Scalebound are the games that I will eventually get an XB1 for.

----

I wonder how long it'll be before we get consoles capable of doing this stuff offline? I'm glad they're leaving the crazy destruction for multiplayer only.

I really do not want to play this game with other people, I want to play Crackdown single player. WIll that mean I wont get the destruction/cloud computing?

Indications are that it will be limited. Likely walls and etc. it's a design decision because the ability to destroy everything in the game would make orbs and etc moot. Also, you need to have some sort of story.

MaxiLive

So empty...Where are the npcs, vehicles ?

Its a technical demo nothing gameplay based. Just showing the power of da cloud! AKA 8 dedicated banks of memory for the debris.

It is pretty cool tech but I don't think it will add much to a Crackdown game at least it might be an annoyance, it depends how hooked up you get on random objects and how much it messes up your movement. Imagine jumping from building to building only to go flying off in a random direction due to debris.

DirtyLarry

Congrats to MS and the Crackdown team.
They have managed to make a game that I will actually play the MP.
I stick to lone wolf SP gaming as that is what fits my 40 year old man schedule and lifestyle best.
However I will no doubt make an exception to my self imposed rule to check this MP out.
This is good stuff no doubt.

To other developers, please, please consider implementing the power of the cloud in SP experiences. I know it is a sticky situation and proposition to require always online for SP, but if this is the type of stuff that can be done, it opens up a world of possibilities that would not be there otherwise, so mandate that shit.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The destruction looks amazing, but what I wonder about is how this will affect the game in the long-term. So much of Crackdown is about verticality, so what happens when a player levels most of the buildings in the game? It makes me think that the actual level of destruction in the final product may be limited for gameplay reasons.

This is for multiplayer. Obviously leveling a city would be counterproductive in single player.

Journey

Banned
While it looks amazing, it also seems incredibly wasteful. I don't know that any other game company besides MS could waste so many dedicated servers to simply calculate physics for a console game.

The amount of datacenter juice this game is going to take up at launch is going to be crazy.

The cloud, it's bullshit, don't believe MS lies.

**Crackdown shows how it can be pulled off**

The cloud is so wasteful.

lol

Kinyou

The problem really was that they never presented it like this. If they had instantly 3-4 demos like this that show the advantages people might have been more okay with always online.

Its a technical demo nothing gameplay based. Just showing the power of da cloud! AKA 8 dedicated banks of memory for the debris.

It is pretty cool tech but I don't think it will add much to a Crackdown game at least it might be an annoyance, it depends how hooked up you get on random objects and how much it messes up your movement. Imagine jumping from building to building only to go flying off in a random direction due to debris.

We've reached a new level of concern in here.
To find something negative, "you think it might" and we have to "imagine if".
And how does destruction not add to the game?

Riky

$MSFT
That looked amazing, first thing I've seen from these consoles that looked actually next gen.

The problem really was that they never presented it like this. If they had instantly 3-4 demos like this that show the advantages people might have been more okay with always online.

Yeah that's a good point. Would have been nice to actually talk about games and stuff at launch. Fucking Mattrick.

JaggedSac

The part where it shows the different colors for different servers the calculations are running on is incredible. Allocating resources that fast is pretty damn amazing.

Dont see much that couldnt be done without "cloud". See red faction guerilla

This has been proven bs in many other places in the other thread. Please stop. It's nowhere even close. Even the mode in RFG where you just destroy stuff as fast as you can, it's vastly smaller.

Cad-Monkey

Neo Member
Looks cool if all you want to do is level buildings, but I find the complete lack of any structural integrity really off-putting. Maybe they'll tone it down a bit later and actually make strictures feel more substantial.

Eggbok

Did Screamride use cloud computing?
Not sure how much destruction is in the game but I remember it being similar to this.

Top Bottom