• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash and Spyro PS1 games (EDIT: and others) may now be downloaded to American Vitas.

Freeman

Banned
It has taken Sony more than an hour to figure out what is a Vita. Tomorrow they will have an answer, they will apologies for the inconvenience of temporarily making these games available and will double their effort to make sure those games don't work.

TomShoe

Banned
It has taken Sony more than an hour to figure out what is a Vita. Tomorrow they will have an answer, they will apologies for the inconvenience of temporarily making these games available and will double their effort to make sure those games don't work.

You must be fun at parties.

BONKERS

The emulator didn't need improving. These games always worked, its just that they weren't available due to licensing issues. Most companies didn't bother updating the license for the Vita store because they didn't find it worth their time and money.

Another inherently fucked up flaw with an all digital future. Sony should just release an APP for the PS3/PS4 that lets you convert your Actual PS1 discs into usable Eboots for PS3/PSP/PSV. If the game doesn't work with emulation, oh well. (Might as well include an option for the different PoPs versions too as some games may work better on one than another)

Not like every PS1 game worked on the PS2, especially the later revisions.

/Problem Solved

Another thing, make an adapter for UMDs, let people download PSP games to their Vita Memory Card. Tie the game to that system only. (Making it so you can't copy it, or share it) And if you have a second vita, all you need to do is use your UMD again. (Or Tie games vita PSN account or someshit, I don't know)

The whole way PSP-PS1 to > Vita was handled was not very good. One of the many reasons I held off initially.

Wish they would fix the problem with that god damn "Download List" too. Seriously, FFS sony this is 2014. We need a "LIBRARY" function if you want us to even remotely consider digital seriously.

Straight up copy Steam, I don't care. I can't be bothered to do shit with my PSN stuff half the time because the download list is a joke, congested up with demos, and all kinds of crap.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
0f77PNz.jpg

No interest in returning to many of these games anytime soon...but what a gloriously delicious thread this has turned into...

Cliffbo I see you!!

Drago

Fucking hell if this is a bug and it gets fixed by tomorrow night I will be so pissed. I won't have my Vita til then :mad:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
[/B]
The amount of Vita owners isn't even enough to make this happen :p

Kappa

1 million PS4 owners downloading ONE firmware update brought PSN to its knees in some places. Imagine 5 - 7 million Vita owners downloading dozens of PSP/PS1 games simultaneously.

edit: OK, you were kidding ...

DigitalOp

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me?.....

I thought the sale was ending today before the update tomm..... So I didn't rush to buy anything thinking I had time today......

I just want to slam my fucking head on something right now..... So much pain....

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have downloaded a metric ton of crap and DLC for older games on PSP and PSV. Finally found my free copy of MS RC with a bunch of DLC that I just initiated remotely via the web site.

Finally I get Command and Conquer & Wing Commander on my Vita, good times. This only makes sense since PSP sales have come to a screeching halt and Vita needs a boost.

leroidys

Another inherently fucked up flaw with an all digital future. Sony should just release an APP for the PS3/PS4 that lets you convert your Actual PS1 discs into usable Eboots for PS3/PSP/PSV. If the game doesn't work with emulation, oh well. (Might as well include an option for the different PoPs versions too as some games may work better on one than another)

Not like every PS1 game worked on the PS2, especially the later revisions.

/Problem Solved

Another thing, make an adapter for UMDs, let people download PSP games to their Vita Memory Card. Tie the game to that system only. (Making it so you can't copy it, or share it) And if you have a second vita, all you need to do is use your UMD again. (Or Tie games vita PSN account or someshit, I don't know)

The whole way PSP-PS1 to > Vita was handled was not very good. One of the many reasons I held off initially.

Wish they would fix the problem with that god damn "Download List" too. Seriously, FFS sony this is 2014. We need a "LIBRARY" function if you want us to even remotely consider digital seriously.

Straight up copy Steam, I don't care. I can't be bothered to do shit with my PSN stuff half the time because the download list is a joke, congested up with demos, and all kinds of crap.

How do you think that they would be able to "lock" unwritable discs to a particular system exactly?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shuhei is giving PS1 on Vita tips now, lol

@yosp 7:18 PM
A tip to play classic PS1 games on PS Vita. Hold PS Button to bring up the system menu. Select Settings and assign buttons to Analog Sticks.

sqwarlock

Bought Crash 1-3 during the sale, but held off on Spyro and CTR because I knew I couldn't play them on Vita and didn't care too much about them otherwise. Now I regret it.

Magwik

Banned
Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 3h
To play Spyro 1, I assigned R2 to "Right Analog Stick <" and L2 to "Right Analog Stick >", so I can control the camera as I usual do.

Shu being Shu on Twitter. Sounding more and more official to me now.

BONKERS

How do you think that they would be able to "lock" unwritable discs to a particular system exactly?

Not the discs, but the image made from the disc. (Think like how PSP downloadable games were initially "Keyed" to your account. But in this case you know, no Native Vita hacking I guess. Write protect the game image,/encrypt it or whatever) I'm sure it'd be possible with some kind of key mechanism based on the hardware serial built into the firmware or someshit.

But I mean, really come on. It's not "Impossible" is it? The worst that happens with a scenario like this, is that people share their UMDs with their friends in Real life, or people copy the game, then sell their UMD on the second hand market and rebuy it if they ever delete it. (Or perhaps a timed function, where the game image is only good on the memory card for X amount of time at a time. At such point it expires, or something. A warning of course should be included with something like this.)

None of which affects Sony in the least, not to mention considering UMD is a dead format and market pretty much. Same thing with PS1 games.

KalBalboa

Banned
Not the discs, but the image made from the disc. (Think like how PSP downloadable games were initially "Keyed" to your account. But in this case you know, no Native Vita hacking I guess. Write protect the game image,/encrypt it or whatever) I'm sure it'd be possible with some kind of key mechanism based on the hardware serial built into the firmware or someshit.

But I mean, really come on. It's not "Impossible" is it? The worst that happens with a scenario like this, is that people share their UMDs with their friends in Real life, or people copy the game, then sell their UMD on the second hand market and rebuy it if they ever delete it. (Or perhaps a timed function, where the game image is only good on the memory card for X amount of time at a time. At such point it expires, or something. A warning of course should be included with something like this.)

None of which affects Sony in the least, not to mention considering UMD is a dead format and market pretty much. Same thing with PS1 games.

The worst is people pass around PSP and PSone games and then copy them over and over.

That's also a complicated system that would require R&D, asking third parties to loose out of revenue, and then you'd need to explain the software and make it fool-proof.

Oooor, people can buy PSone games for 99 cents or $6, PSP games for $5-15 ea, then have them future proofed on the PSN.

BONKERS

The worst is people pass around PSP and PSone games and then copy them over and over.

That's also a complicated system that would require R&D, asking third parties to loose out of revenue, and then you'd need to explain the software and make it fool-proof.

Oooor, people can buy PSone games for 99 cents or $6, PSP games for $5-15 ea, then have them future proofed on the PSN.

Except I can't play nearly half my real PS1 library on the PSN. Barely a fraction of the PS1 library is available to us Barbarian westerners.

And like I said, if it was encrypted/tied to a specific system or Timed. Then that keeps people from copying it.

This is based on UMDs, and the many many games that are not sold at retail any more, nor are available digitally.

The people who want a digital only thing, can still keep on chugging. Mean while the rest of us are stuck out shit out of luck.

This particularly has made me mad because Sony basically said "haha!" (/simpsons) to anyone who was an early and ardent supporter of the PSP.

Sony was smart enough to come up with the half assed UMD passport in Japan. I'm sure they could make it work. (Their answer to us hairy barbarians was once again, "Haha, PSP games are cheap digitally! Just rebuy stuff you already own! Herp!" /not accounting for the things that are not available and their absolutely asinine and poor library management)

Where is the lost money in people being able to buy an Adapter (That will probably cost them pennies to make), download an app to the system to initiate it, and the games being locked to a system and +/or being timed where you have to re-do the process every so often to keep the game on your system.

No one can copy it from one memory card to another. Sony sells an adapter for 20-40$ makes money, people with massive UMD collections are not left out in the cold. People who still want to buy digital buy digital.
It's nearly the same scenario as with PS1/PS2 games on PS3 and PSN. People still buy Digitally. People still use their real discs. I've re-bought many of my PS1 games on PSN to support the company even though i'll never download the game. And just play my disc on my PS3, or i'll make an Eboot for my PSP and play it on there.

KalBalboa

Banned
Where is the lost money in people being able to buy an Adapter (That will probably cost them pennies to make), download an app to the system to initiate it, and the games being locked to a system and +/or being timed where you have to re-do the process every so often to keep the game on your system.

No one can copy it from one memory card to another. Sony sells an adapter for 20-40$ makes money, people with massive UMD collections are not left out in the cold. People who still want to buy digital buy digital.

It's nearly the same scenario as with PS1/PS2 games on PS3 and PSN. People still buy Digitally. People still use their real discs. I've re-bought many of my PS1 games on PSN to support the company even though i'll never download the game. And just play my disc on my PS3, or i'll make an Eboot for my PSP and play it on there.

• It wouldn't cost pennies to make an adapter, so there's the first dent in your argument.
  • The second is that if Sony even made profit on this hypothetical adapter, third parties would not. Licensing is a real pain in the ass, so their only option in your suggested scenario would be to have an infallible index of every game registered from PSone and PSP games and find agreed upon royalties per title to split between Sony and whichever publisher is owed a fraction of the adapter's cost. The longer the adapters are on shelves, the more and more money Sony loses to third parties, too. Do you see where this starts to get ugly?
  • There's no super-cheap or easy way to retroactively add in extra copyright protection registration and unique IDs to some of these PSone discs that date back nearly twenty years. Any methods that could add it in probably wouldn't work out in any real-world cost/benefit ratio, too, and we would probably just wind up getting discounts on these games and not even 100% freebies.
  • The Vita UMD passport program in Japan was missing a lot of major titles, and even the games it did support only game with discounts and not 100% freebies. Confidence in the passport program was never terribly strong for some apparent reason.
  • It's also been shown, time and time again, that backwards compatibility is less and less important to purchasers the longer a piece of hardware exists, and we're in 2014 now. Holding out for a PSP conversion program for UMDs to digital in this day and age, after all this time has passed, seems like a fool's errand.

Damaniel

Banned
If only they had done this yesterday. I refrained from buying the Spyro games specifically because they didn't work on Vita. I would have bought them if I knew that support was coming only 24 hours later. ;)

i also didnt buy the spyro games during the sale, damn it

but, all the crash games, on the go... this is fantastic! ive been waiting since i got a damn vita at launch for this to be unlocked!

Deap92x

Banned
I have a problem when i try to save on crash. On the bonus stage crash just disappears but it doesn't take me to the actual save point.

Any suggestions?

RK128

I have a problem when i try to save on crash. On the bonus stage crash just disappears but it doesn't take me to the actual save point.

Any suggestions?

I think what you have to do is go near Crash's girlfriend during the bonus stages, as that triggers the save function. The game will go to an save menu if you are just starting a new game. I don't know if this helps, as I just got the original Crash last Friday :(.

I spent the past two hours playing crash bandicoot 1, got really far, some of these levels getting insane 0_O

im stuck on this ruin level that is dark with spears coming out of walls.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
eSl1dP0.gif

Getting all of Crash now.

Chrscool8

Neo Member
Yep. I'm in the group of those who passed on getting all the Crashes and Spyros yesterday exactly because of this. Argh.

Guess I'm waiting and crossing my fingers for another flash sale.

Top Bottom