• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash and Spyro PS1 games (EDIT: and others) may now be downloaded to American Vitas.

Oh, I would be on the top. Um, great news for all, but what prompted it? Has anyone at Sony said anything about it?

boy this thread went from a happy one to a "BLEH I MAD, I didnt spend $6-$7 cause it wouldnt work on my vita since i have absolutely no reason to buy it on my ps3(if you didnt have a ps3 you have a extremely Valid reason otherwise no imo its cheap and if your budget doesnt allow for $6-7 you need to quit gaming since you're more of a cheapass than CAG and if you cant afford that with your budget you need to seek financial advice since you would more than likely be poorer than me(and i'm in shit condition poor)).. please folks lets just be happy the vita gets more games... now if only nintendo would allow for universal purchases(please make this true nintendo)

Terrible post.

Seriously, don't listen to Freaky Fred. Nine out of ten bloggers would not recommend this post.

Piotrek

Holy crap. :O

I bought them "just in case", since I don't currently own any other Playstation system (except PS2).

OP, you seriously made my day. I probably wouldn't have known until next time I went into my download list (doesn't happen too often). Kudos to you, dear sir.

dreamfall

A lot of games that are showing up in my Download list were games that I transferred from my PS3.

But if you didn't have a PS3 for the workaround, this is such a beautiful thing.

Playing some Def Jam FFNY: The Takeover never felt so damn goooood!

PS1 games have gone on sale before, they've even been PS+ freebies. We had no way of knowing for sure this was happening, and given its been an issue for two years now why would anyone assume it was going to happen suddenly with no warning?

The evidence (leaked store banner ads was the big sign for me, a PSBlog rep hinted at it a bit too in last weeks PSBlog Store post) should've been enough. But whatever, Some people are salty they missed the sale, and that's fine.

Those 6-7 games (Crash and Spyro) have been the most requested Vita PS1 games, with people requesting them weekly on the blog. It was a pretty sure thing they were going to start working, sooner rather than later.

Mairu

Why would anyone ignore a sale on principle when a game you want and could potentially play at some point in the future is on sale for a dollar? It's a stupid reason. If anyone had any passing interest in any of those games, at all, ever, they should have jumped on them, no questions asked. They're a DOLLAR!

I've paid more for Steam games that I haven't installed. One could have gotten all 4 Crash games for less than the cost of a sandwhich at Subway.

I don't understand why anyone would hesitate simply because "THEY'RE NOT PLAYABLE ON VITA." It's pretty obvious it was coming, I mean Crash 1/2 even popped up on store banner ads a week ago.

Why the fuck would you buy a game when you can't play it on the system you want to play it on? Buying games on Steam is different because they're all for one platform. I'm not going to buy random games on PSN in the hopes that one day they might decide to make them playable on the Vita or PS4 when they're not currently available for purchase/download on those platforms.

I'm not sure why it would've been "obvious" that games that previously weren't available on the Vita would suddenly become available.

boy this thread went from a happy one to a "BLEH I MAD, I didnt spend $6-$7 cause it wouldnt work on my vita since i have absolutely no reason to buy it on my ps3(if you didnt have a ps3 you have a extremely Valid reason otherwise no imo its cheap and if your budget doesnt allow for $6-7 you need to quit gaming since you're more of a cheapass than CAG and if you cant afford that with your budget you need to seek financial advice since you would more than likely be poorer than me(and i'm in shit condition poor)).. please folks lets just be happy the vita gets more games... now if only nintendo would allow for universal purchases(please make this true nintendo)

amazing post.

Sandfox

I like how you say that we should be happy and stop saying negative things about Sony and then try to shift attention to Nintendo.

I own the original PS1 versions of the games so there was no reason for me to buy the Vita versions of the games unless they had Vita support. If Sony would've announced this change or had not made this change live less than 24 hours after a sale of all those games I wouldn't have an issue.

Zeppeli

Banned
The evidence (leaked store banner ads was the big sign for me, a PSBlog rep hinted at it a bit too in last weeks PSBlog Store post) should've been enough. But whatever, Some people are salty they missed the sale, and that's fine.

Those 6-7 games (Crash and Spyro) have been the most requested Vita PS1 games, with people requesting them weekly on the blog. It was a pretty sure thing they were going to start working, sooner rather than later.

What?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Whoa whoa. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Valkyria Chronicles 2 de-listed? Or did it just not work on Vita? Someone test this shit!

This would make the 3rd game I've bought in the last hour just to test this. That's 35 dollar spent on a whim. I keep on harping that Vita would help the PSP ecosystem and stuff like this is why.

Bought not 10 minutes ago

capturen7l1q.png

Downloading via my DL list on Vita.

2014-04-21-203058i3j8s.jpg

Fusebox

Banned

Can you show us the banner and quote the hint so we know what you're talking about?

khaaan

YUSS.

After reading the last couple pages, I'm a bit confused as to what's going on though. Is everything actually playable on the Vita now? Is it just one big mistake?

Honestly my biggest regret isn't missing out on some $1 games I was never really going to play.

It's not going back before all those other PSP games were delisted and buying them. Now I'll never have the ultimate Vita.

I'm a terrible person. Anyways wish sega and some other companies would put all the psp titles on the psn digitally so we could buy them I also wonder how long till more exploits come out of demos from the psp demo list for the vita.

Now that's a good point. I never understood SE's aversion to PSN.

KalBalboa

Banned
YUSS.

After reading the last couple pages, I'm a bit confused as to what's going on though. Is everything actually playable on the Vita now? Is it just one big mistake?

It looks like a major update on Vita compatible titles. Vita specific manuals are built into the classics now.

Darknight

Because it's a freaking dollar and anyone who follows NeoGAF should've known it was coming soon (suddenly a bunch of Vita-exempt PS1 classics go on sale for a dollar the week before they become compatible? Not a coincidence, folks.)

PS1 classics don't exactly go on sale often, either. If you had any interest in them, even if you DIDN'T own a Vita but were planning to, you should've jumped on it.

There was a thread about it here on GAF, even (then it got overshadowed by the Last of Us: Remastered news....which was also leaked by the store)
Some people only own a Vita. So why would they pay for something they cant play? Some have a PS3/Vita/PS4. Why would I buy something that only works on hardware thats collecting dust?

If you are a PS3 users, you could buy any of these at any time and they would work. We all knew Sony didnt allow BC on Vita because some bullshit as they work on PSP. So now that it works, its like a fricking miracle.

Honestly I never saw this happening. I was sure it was some policy that Activision didnt want to sign over the BC rights/license to Sony. Sony also didnt include Crash/Spyro on All Stars. That told me these games would never be given a chance on Vita. But here we are and I am pissed. My other account has them on PS+ but lol gonna cancel that account soon. Yay those are locked away and you cant purchase those games anymore due to the PS+ paywall they put up. (IE rental items cant be purchased at sale prices)

Oh what bullshit announcing this after the sale. There's a great reason for not buying them on PS3 -- input lag. It makes action and platform games unplayable on PS3 but they're fine on Vita. I thought about buying them just in case they would one day be playable on Vita - but I thought "nah it'll never happen if it hasn't happened by now..."

sensui-tomo

Honestly my biggest regret isn't missing out on some $1 games I was never really going to play.

It's not going back before all those other PSP games were delisted and buying them. Now I'll never have the ultimate Vita.

Now that's a good point. I never understood SE's aversion to PSN.

The most likely reason( i have no proof of this so its all BS until proven true) is that they more than likely had licensing issues with SO,SO2,FF7CC and KH:BBS due to the fact they have an outsourced song in each game, like how people theorized on that one song in type 0 , so 1 and 2 have intros which would need to be redone , BBS might have a digital issue(since the other KH games havent been sold digital, unless that 3ds version was which would kill this point) and FF7CC has that theme song. again its probably BS but would make sense if they didnt have the license to sell the game digitally due to said songs being in those games... now i dont know if VP had a song or if SE was just dumb on that game.

Can you show us the banner and quote the hint so we know what you're talking about?

I'm searching for them now. The banner was in a thread that ended up being overtaken/merged with Last of Us news (they appeared near the same time) but it was simply Crash Bandicoot (the first one) with a PS3/PSP/PS Vita on it, just like it appears in the store now; I wanna say a fellow GAFer posted it from the Vita PSN store.

The 'hint' was in one of the comments of the Flash Sale post (not the store post, forgot this sale was a Friday-Monday and not a week-long thing), but now I'm scouring through them and Chieh Chen's comment simply states:

"We hear your feedback overseventhousand [the username of the guy who asked]! I will pass it along to those who handle these things."

It was a bit more descriptive before that ("Expect some news on that soon!") when I first saw it. I'll have to scour Wololo and co.'s Twitters to make 100% sure that was legit, though (that's where I first saw this).

Anyway, the combination of those was what convinced me that it was happening soon.

Oh what bullshit announcing this after the sale. There's a great reason for not buying them on PS3 -- input lag. It makes action and platform games unplayable on PS3 but they're fine on Vita. I thought about buying them just in case they would one day be playable on Vita - but I thought "nah it'll never happen if it hasn't happened by now..."

I've never had input lag on any PS1 games on my PS3, but I'm probably odd in that I calibrate my equipment on a semi-regular basis to help curb that (Rock Band, yo! ....plus I get super annoyed at audio/visual desync on Blu-Rays).

KalBalboa

Banned

They didn't announce it. People discovered it.

Darknight

It stings more its not an official announcement but some dudes online tried it and worked. Just found out like 30 mins ago.

co1onel

Even if this was a mistake, they can't go back now.

Can they?

They could flip the switch back off, but its not like they can do anything about the games people have already downloaded. I highly doubt its a mistake at this point though, because they're probably planning on making it official during the store update tomorrow.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm searching for them now. The banner was in a thread that ended up being overtaken/merged with Last of Us news (they appeared near the same time) but it was simply Crash Bandicoot (the first one) with a PS3/PSP/PS Vita on it, just like it appears in the store now; I wanna say a fellow GAFer posted it from the Vita PSN store.

The 'hint' was in one of the comments of the Flash Sale post (not the store post, forgot this sale was a Friday-Monday and not a week-long thing), but now I'm scouring through them and Chieh Chen's comment simply states:

"We hear your feedback overseventhousand [the username of the guy who asked]! I will pass it along to those who handle these things."

It was a bit more descriptive before that ("Expect some news on that soon!") when I first saw it. I'll have to scour Wololo and co.'s Twitters to make 100% sure that was legit, though (that's where I first saw this).

Anyway, the combination of those was what convinced me that it was happening soon.

I saw the banner too. It was one of the things that lead to speculation that Crash was back.

Freeman

Banned
We should congratulate Sony for their excellent communication with customers, its like they don't even know this happened and that people care.

Tigress

Ah, there it is, the argument that if you didn't spend the dollar on the game you must be too poor to game or a cheapass.

Or, maybe, just maybe, I'm poor and I do spend some money on frivolous stuff like games but since it is a huge luxury for me I'm not going to waste even a frikking dollar on something that for what I know isn't going to work for me (and no, I don't want to play it on my PS3, it's not worth it for that. I only wanted it as something for my Vita. But, I know, you don't think that the experience is any different so why should I care? Even though several people all the time fully admit that a handheld experience and a console experience are different even for the same game).

Dollars add up and I don't feel like throwing the in the trash. And I don't have powers of telling the future either. If sony had even just said, "this is going to work soon" that would have been nice.

And honestly, I'm more upset at the people who are trying to blame me (and others who didn't buy the games) than Sony's actions. Sony's actions are annoying (but at the same time I will say I'm glad they got more games for the Vita this way. I'd prefer this annoyance to them not getting the PSP and PSX games to work). But it's ridiculous people feel they need to justify Sony's actions by blaming us instead. As I said, is it that hard to say Sony did something annoying? You know they are not always perfect and they are quite capable of doing annoying stuff.

I apologize if I got heated there, I just was baffled by the complaining about the sale ending right on time. I suppose, yeah, it's bad timing, but even if they had done it a month or two down the road, people would have bitched ("MAN! THOSE WERE A DOLLAR A MONTH AGO. WHY COULD'NT YOU HAVE DONE IT THEN SONY!! they'd say on the blog).

They could flip the switch back off, but its not like they can do anything about the games people have already downloaded. I highly doubt its a mistake at this point though, because they're probably planning on making it official during the store update tomorrow.

I think, if it hasn't been taken down by now, it's probably legit and we'll find out about it tomorrow during the store update. Then again, it took Sony 3 days to remove Persona 2 after the Vita exploit for it leaked, so...who knows (Granted, P2's exploit was leaked on a Saturday and they already had a maintenance coming up that week anyway.)

KalBalboa

Banned
We should congratulate Sony for their excellent communication with costumers, its like they don't even know this happened and that people care.

It's been like an hour. This was obviously supposed to be a surprise tomorrow.

What should they do- pull the games and make us wait until a blog post?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Even if this was a mistake, they can't go back now.

Can they?

There is touch based manuals that work in the live area. It's not a mistake. They might be rolling something out or prepping but when there's live area manuals then it's pretty official.

It's been like an hour. This was obviously supposed to be a surprise tomorrow.

What should they do- pull the games and make us wait until a blog post?

they best they could do is post the a blog post tomorrow saying

"Well shucks how did you like this early surprise which we fully intended to do on purpose and not Today"

Top Bottom