• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

Undrey

I just played the original third game on the PSX and the gameplay holds up really well. I cannot wait to be able to get this. MORE CRASH AFTER THIS PLS

Kinsei

Banned
So, this is probably a question that will be asked alot, and is likely difficult to answer since it's subjective and all, but... Would I like these games? I've, uh, never played Crash (well, I think I played like 5 minutes of Crash 1 years ago when it was free with PS+, back on PS3, but I turned it off pretty quickly cuz it was fugly). I do have a fondness for platformers of all kinds though, and loved plenty of 'em back in the day. Do y'all think these games hold up, Crash fans? Also, are they, like, collectathons ala Yooka Laylee, Banjo, etc. or more about straight platforming?

They are point A to point B platformers focused on the enemies and platforming. There are collectathon elements (the secondary goal in each stage is to smash every single crate) but that's not the focus. If you are a fan of 2D platformers and you'd like to see that in 3D then I think you'd like Crash.

So, this is probably a question that will be asked alot, and is likely difficult to answer since it's subjective and all, but... Would I like these games? I've, uh, never played Crash (well, I think I played like 5 minutes of Crash 1 years ago when it was free with PS+, back on PS3, but I turned it off pretty quickly cuz it was fugly). I do have a fondness for platformers of all kinds though, and loved plenty of 'em back in the day. Do y'all think these games hold up, Crash fans? Also, are they, like, collectathons ala Yooka Laylee, Banjo, etc. or more about straight platforming?

Do you like the structure of 2D Mario, aka run from point A to B jumping over pits and hazards, stomping enemies, and collecting coins? If yes, then I think you'd like Crash. If you prefer more roaming/collectathon/adventure style platformers, then you may not like Crash as much.

Crash Bandicoot is basically 2D Mario but in three dimensions, except for Warped, which has a much larger emphasis on tertiary game mechanics.

Feorax

Terrible timing for PayPal to start fucking around, especially given how many people in the UK will have pre-ordered this digitally.

Saven

Banned
This may have been answered somewhere but I didn't see it, but please tell me that they fixed Crash 1's awful save system in this remake. That really soured me on the game back in the day.

kc44135

They are point A to point B platformers focused on the enemies and platforming. There are collectathon elements (the secondary goal in each stage is to smash every single crate) but that's not the focus. If you are a fan of 2D platformers and you'd like to see that in 3D then I think you'd like Crash.

Do you like the structure of 2D Mario, aka run from point A to B jumping over pits and hazards, stomping enemies, and collecting coins? If yes, then I think you'd like Crash. If you prefer more roaming/collectathon/adventure style platformers, then you may not like Crash as much.

Crash Bandicoot is basically 2D Mario but in three dimensions, except for Warped, which has a much larger emphasis on tertiary game mechanics.

So, linear stage based 3D platforming, kinda like Super Mario 3D Land/World? I could be down with that, definitely. Also, I gotta say, as someone who was turned off from the originals because of their dated visuals, Vicarious Visions has done a tremendous job updating these games and bringing them up to modern standards. Yeah, I think I'm gonna give this a shot, y'all. I'll report back with impressions tomorrow. It should be interesting to see what a Crash noob thinks of these games, some 20 years later.

So, linear stage based 3D platforming, kinda like Super Mario 3D Land/World? I could be down with that, definitely. Also, I gotta say, as someone who was turned off from the originals because of their dated visuals, Vicarious Visions has done a tremendous job updating these games and bringing them up to modern standards. Yeah, I think I'm gonna give this a shot, y'all. I'll report back with impressions tomorrow. It should be interesting to see what a Crash noob thinks of these games, some 20 years later.

I actually consider Super Mario 3D Land/World to be spiritual successors to the Crash games, though those are actually a bit more open than Crash is. But yes, the comparison is pretty fair. A fixed camera + linear path.

I'd love to see a true Crash Bandicoot 4 that kind of fuses classic Crash Bandicoot gameplay + the SM3D games.

brawly

feeling-it.gif

Two more hours.

Camjo-Z

lol, just tried to cancel my Amazon order because it was still "preparing to ship" (and I am NOT waiting any longer for Crash). Literally one minute after I press the button they suddenly update the tracking info and reveal it left the facility 3 hours ago.

Hektor

Gotta put the gemapad to rest for today, with 45% completion in the first game.

Only issue i have with the game so far are the loading screens. They aren't exactly huge, but still just a bit too long.

Haven't done any time trials yet, but i already appreciate that there are leaderboards for them.

The look and feel of the game is 100% nailed and exactly what i'd hoped for.

I haven't made any experience with the remaked gimmick levels yet, but going by CB1 i'm absolute certain VV could make an entirely new game if they wanted to.

The biggest challenge for that would probably be for them to make actually new, interesting levels that don't come off as entirely derivative. I'm thinking of ideas like the ball levels in wrath of the cortex.

Anyhow, looking forward to finish and hopefully round up 100% in CB1 tomorrow and the rest on the weekend.

One question tho, at the spot where you picked up coco, you also have the possiblity of leaving her there when you come back to it, is there any point in doing that?

Damn, that "Road to nowhere" level really got me sweating!

Holy shit, I'd just come from reading this thread and saw this was next on my list
"maybe he was overselling it, this is like only halfway through the game right?"
Sweet merciful crackers, you know that they know what they did here, fiendish, cruel, simplistic yet really satisfying.

Took me entirely too long to realise that the snapped planks were completely unstable, so many lives lost thinking I'd be able to pull a cheeky jump off them.

Gotta put the gemapad to rest for today, with 45% completion in the first game.

Only issue i have with the game so far are the loading screens. They aren't exactly huge, but still just a bit too long.

Haven't done any time trials yet, but i already appreciate that there are leaderboards for them.

The look and feel of the game is 100% nailed and exactly what i'd hoped for.

I haven't made any experience with the remaked gimmick levels yet, but going by CB1 i'm absolute certain VV could make an entirely new game if they wanted to.

The biggest challenge for that would probably be for them to make actually new, interesting levels that don't come off as entirely derivative. I'm thinking of ideas like the ball levels in wrath of the cortex.

Anyhow, looking forward to finish and hopefully round up 100% in CB1 tomorrow and the rest on the weekend.

One question tho, at the spot where you picked up coco, you also have the possiblity of leaving her there when you come back to it, is there any point in doing that?

This is something that piqued my interest too... I wonder what the purpose of that is?

Banzai

Jealous. How's The Lab level?

It's great. Some subtle changes were made to the entire game that makes it feel easier, though. I definitely remember having trouble with a certain part in the lab with the rythm of hitting a switch, jumping a trap and hitting a lab guy that feels a lot easier. Plus I don't think the green goop enemy could be killed by spinning before? Stuff like that.

Seems cruel to poor Coco (and Crash) that after I frantically outrun another boulder stage they get bombarded with boxes as post stage punishment, I picked up everything I could! I don't know what these wireframe platforms denying me more boxes meeeaaaaan!
(I assume coloured gems to unlock them?)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I guess I might as well ask here.

My GS is confirmed to be launching the game at 9 p.m. local time, & from what I've heard, they're only getting 8 of those pre-order keychains (which just baffles me, if they knew pre-orders were high, why not make/ask for more to meet customer demand?), and my friend, who also pre-ordered but won't be able to get his copy tonight, REAAALLLYYYY wants the Aku Aku keychain.

I'm honestly debating going an hour early to see if there's a line & to ensure I can get one in case he doesn't. I don't live in TOO big of a town & I can't imagine a ton of people lining up at 8 p.m. at a Thursday for this, but considering how much my best friend has been looking forward to this & was told they changed it to "first come first serve" instead of everyone getting one, I wanna do my best to help him get that keychain.

I'd hate for neither one of us to get one only to find out that eBay is selling them for an insane price.

J-Skee

Seems cruel to poor Coco (and Crash) that after I frantically outrun another boulder stage they get bombarded with boxes as post stage punishment, I picked up everything I could! I don't know what these wireframe platforms denying me more boxes meeeaaaaan!
(I assume coloured gems to unlock them?)

Yessir. Gotta get those gems first. I hate that you already have the game!

So I guess I might as well ask here.

My GS is confirmed to be launching the game at 9 p.m. local time, & from what I've heard, they're only getting 8 of those pre-order keychains (which just baffles me, if they knew pre-orders were high, why not make/ask for more to meet customer demand?), and my friend, who also pre-ordered but won't be able to get his copy tonight, REAAALLLYYYY wants the Aku Aku keychain.

I'm honestly debating going an hour early to see if there's a line & to ensure I can get one in case he doesn't. I don't live in TOO big of a town & I can't imagine a ton of people lining up at 8 p.m. at a Thursday for this, but considering how much my best friend has been looking forward to this & was told they changed it to "first come first serve" instead of everyone getting one, I wanna do my best to help him get that keychain.

I'd hate for neither one of us to get one only to find out that eBay is selling them for an insane price.

I didn't even know this was a thing & now I'm upset.

maxcriden

The review thread is far too long, so I thought I might ask here. Were those complaints mentioned about input lag legit or without merit?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
What a great game. So many memories. And it plays exactly as I remember it. Having a blast here.

Flousn

I really enjoy the game. Making my way through crash one and while it is not a genre-defining masterpiece, it plays wonderfully, has a lot of Charme and holds up remarkably well.

I also don't think that the controls are imprecise or laggy or whatever (I think some reviewers pointed that out, or something along the lines). I feel like some people forgot that crash is basically a 2D platformer that requires you to jump at the last possible moment and don't let go of x to prolong your jump.Not once have i felt like I missed a jump because of the controls.

demu

So, for collecting coloured gems in Crash 1 you have to beat the level and get all boxes without dying, right? Do "deaths" in the bonus stages count as well?

Tapejara

Damn, that "Road to nowhere" level really got me sweating!

As a kid, this was one of the most frustrating sections of the game for me, because right after Road to Nowhere is Boulder Dash - a tough level (at least for a kid lacking proper reflexes) with no bonus level save. So many game overs; felt great to finally hit Sunset Vista and save!

Hektor

I heard in one of the reviews that the game gives you extra lives or something if you die a couple times in a level. Can you disable that stuff?

You get an Aku Aku mask (Common item that protects you from 1 hit). You can't disable that afair

So, for collecting coloured gems in Crash 1 you have to beat the level and get all boxes without dying, right? Do "deaths" in the bonus stages count as well?

They don't

The review thread is far too long, so I thought I might ask here. Were those complaints mentioned about input lag legit or without merit?

I can't make a direct comparison between original and remake right now, but i did not notice any form of lag

evilsin

Unlocked for me and I ran a couple of stages. God, it's nostalgic AF. Coco's addition is very welcome. Everything looks pretty. The only thing I would've like is a replay option for when you don't break all the boxes, considering the frequent loading screens.

HardRojo

Really thinking about just preordering on PSN so that I don't have to wait till going to the store tomorrow lol. Fucking hell I just want to play!!

Top Bottom