• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creepiest monster in gaming?

Regenerators for me too, those things used to freak the hell out of me. It got to the point where I would have a FAQ open when playing Resi 4 just so I could periodically Ctrl+F 'Regenerator', just so I knew when there was one coming up. The way they looked, moved, sounded... urgh.

Those frozen dancer things in Bioshock used to really creep me out too. I remember one area there's a toilet with about 5 of them in there. There's an item in there, maybe an audio log. They never actually move but the anticipation while you're in there, in this tiny claustrophobic room with them all around you, it was almost too much to bear.

bgd295h7267krld4m.jpg

Seriously, it's terrible.

Sadist said:
LisaTrevor.jpg
This wins my vote.

I have never been so scared in all my life. From the build up to reading about her through the documents scattered throughout the mansion, reading that she was banished to a small shed behind the mansion, finding that shed and then realizing that in order to progress the game you need to enter, getting to her bedroom in the back of the shed only to hear the front door slam and a limping sound that slowly gets louder......

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

DemiMatt

Ima go with these guys, the main reason why is because is Code veronica you would hear a couple heavy foot steps, then silence...then death....

resident-evil-1-remake-gamecube-hunter-screenshot-big.jpg

sander-cohen.jpg

His image and himself in person is not creepy . . . what he does and his personality are very creepy.

Love the bunny poem audio tape.

MDSLKTR

No mention of the parasite eve 2 bestiary?

2zrme6a.jpg

setvvb.jpg

:lol

Should I mention that the last boss has an attack that has him ejaculating on the player (at least that's what it looked like)?

selig

Banned
you know, you guys should probably make 2 categories:

1.) Creepiest monster by itself
2.) Creepiest monster due to setting/environment/situation

My most memorable "creepy monsters" would fall into the second category, but by itself there arent many creepy monsters...probably those that give no facial expression and slowly approach you without changing their speed...i hate that.

Scary, that I seem to be the only one that was scared by the undestructable T-Rex coming out of the woods in the SNES-Version

Drewsky

selig said:
My most memorable "creepy monsters" would fall into the second category, but by itself there arent many creepy monsters...probably those that give no facial expression and slowly approach you without changing their speed...i hate that.

That bothers me in anything, movies or games. I guess it's just because they're so nonchalant about killing you.

PoweredBySoy said:
As you walked through the tunnels, hearing the dragon in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons for Intellivision. I was pretty young, so it scared the crap out of me.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRtwlc_WJNM
Skip to 5:30 and it'll haunt your dreams.
I was quite young when I played this game and I know exactly what you're talking about. The guy in the video was playing on an easy setting though. On the more difficult ones, those monsters rush the shit out of you and I used shit my pants (not literally) when that dragon got up in my face.

Also, AD&D: The Treasure of Tarmin when you'd turn and the Minotaur is standing right in front of you. Damn that guy creeped me out. In fact, he's on the cover of the booklet:
dndt-000.jpg

selig said:

180px-FEAR_older_Alma.jpeg

This should be your honey

Steroyd

Came in to say the regenerator, already covered in the OP.

Can't remember the name but those leech thing you have to burn at the start of RE0, freaked me out, EPSPECIALLY when I didn't have the right equipment at the right time.

Ecto311

%5Bsmall%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dscans_Fatal-Frame_Ned-suki%280.41%29__THISRES__156842.jpg

Nothing really freaks me out but my wife had a good time checking out the ghosts in fatal frame. I have never been freaked out but fatal frame does have some good jumps in it compared to other games I have played. The suffering has good design also for creatures.

Ecto311

speculawyer said:
Right-click on the images and look at the file name. . . that will tell you many.
Posting a name for the game is way better. Some pictures come from places that do not tell shit. If typing a name is too much, just don't post as far as I am concerned.

UFRA

Also, my contribution:

The Divider from Dead Space.

Just always creeped me out the way their behavior was so different from other necromorphs. I remember the first encounter with one...he was just standing at the other end of a hallway looking at me and making horrible noises. I was so freaked out.

326766629accbc75c6805d11929858161262789883_full.jpg

So then you shoot it, and if you don't shoot it just right and kill it in one shot, its body parts come after you too...

325c6f767cb9740a4fdf82eac22e9d80.jpg

For some reason, it's not the big fat strong looking monsters that usually scare me. It's the tall skinny ones, or monsters that make really creepy noises. (not just the typical snarls and growls)

Top Bottom