• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Cringe] In a new all time low Alyssa Mercante from Kotaku DM'ed SmashJT's wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the digital age, the lines between personal and public life are increasingly blurred... But nothing (and I mean nothing) could have prepared me for this. The power of social media and online platforms can amplify voices but also expose individuals to unforeseen dangers and hostility. My recent experience is a sobering reminder of how quickly situations can escalate online with crazed lunatics, affecting not just the individuals directly involved but their families as well.

I am a dedicated husband and father, deeply committed to the well-being of my wife and children. They are my world (today, my son turned 11!!), and I consciously keep them out of the spotlight to protect their privacy. This decision stems from an understanding that my public activities, especially those related to my work and interests in video gaming, should not impact their lives.

Recently, my involvement in a Change.org petition aimed at addressing issues within the prominent gaming outlet "Kotaku" took a distressing turn. The response from Alyssa Mercante, a senior editor at Kotaku, was pretty unexpected (even for her) and deeply concerning. She began her day by DMing me on Twitter (below), trying to get a rise out of me, which I ignored. Her type twists words as she has proven time and time again and I wasn't taking the bait.

Because she wasn't getting the fight she was looking for, she then decided to search out and locate my wife on social media, and messaged her directly, attempting to discredit my character.

For full transparency and giving you the whole story (you know - that thing Kotaku "journalists don't do), the #EndKotaku RT she is referring to in the first portion of her DM to my wife is shown below. After making my "End Kotaku change.org petition" video yesterday, I was RT a lot of folks, and this one didn't particularly stand out to me as anything bad, but holy shit... Did she ever lose her mind over it...

This wasn't enough for her though. She had to contact my wife and let her know. The rest of her DM to my wife continues (below). Her actions crossed a personal boundary that I believe should never be breached in disputes or social media disagreements. Honestly, an action like this screams mentally unstable and should seek professional help ASAP, but... that's not for me to determine. The fact that she is still employed at Kotaku for how she has handled herself speaks volumes for the type of organization they are.

Alyssa’s decision to involve my family in this matter has left me both upset and scared. The internet, for all its benefits, can be a playground for overreach and harassment. The situation escalated to a point where Alyssa sent a lengthy and inappropriate message to my wife, which was not only out of bounds but also suggested a distressing lack of professional decorum.

The repercussions of Alyssa Mercante's actions extend far beyond simple professional discord; they venture into the realm of personal devastation. What if my wife and I were experiencing tensions in our relationship? Her DM could have been catastrophic. The notion that a professional (and I use that term VERY loosely for Alyssa) dispute could spill over into personal attacks that might destabilize a family is deeply alarming.

What if this act of overreach had been the final strain on our relationship? The implications could have destroyed my family. My life. Does she care? Of course not. Shes a narcissistic lunatic hell-bent with weak power from a dying media organization.

This underscores the severe impact that reckless online behavior can have on real lives, highlighting the necessity for maintaining a strict professional boundary and ethical conduct in all journalistic endeavors. It should be a wake-up call to Kotaku leadership. It underscores the need for clear boundaries and respect for personal privacy. The ability to engage in public discourse should not open doors to personal attacks or involve innocent family members.

My priority remains the safety and peace of mind of my family. I call for more responsible behavior online, where individuals can interact without fear of undue personal attacks or breaches of privacy. It's crucial for all involved, particularly those in influential positions, to remember the human element behind each screen, each tweet, and each article.

The recent actions of Alyssa Mercante, a former sex worked turned senior editor at Kotaku, raise serious concerns about the ethical standards at play within the organization. It is profoundly troubling that a respected media outlet employs an individual who resorts to such invasive and personal tactics against someone involved in a public campaign. This behavior not only damages the professional credibility of the individual but also tarnishes the already soiled reputation of Kotaku itself.

Employing someone who engages in such conduct reflects poorly on the outlet’s commitment to integrity and professional boundaries. It's crucial for media organizations to uphold high ethical standards to maintain trust and respect from their audience. Such incidents call for a reevaluation of the values and guidelines that Kotaku enforces, ensuring that their staff represents the principles of respect, professionalism, and decorum that should be at the core of any journalistic enterprise. Her decision to come after me and involve my wife and kids went way over the line.

This shit is just going WAY too far!! Alyssa clearly is a psychopath and why is she still active on Kotaku!?

Discuss.

Eimran

Doesn't take a lot these days, does it?
KL1CjUH.jpeg
Can't imagine why she never made it as a sex worker

99% of Kotaku articles are shitty guides and Top 10 lists now. Their comments section was closed ages ago. The site is, essentially, dead. How the fuck is it still living rent free in so many peoples' heads? It'll never go away at this rate.

Last edited:

Hugare

Seems like they have a symbiotic relationship for clout

Best to ignore both of them, honestly. Focus on games, not drama.

KL1CjUH.jpeg
Can't imagine why she never made it as a sex worker
From other pictures, I dont think she is ugly, but her way of thinking made her fuck up her looks

Happens with many other blue haired crazies out there

Last edited:

Saber

This woman really seems to be the kind of individual to be part of Kotaku journalism. Quite fitting, exactly what they need.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Davevil

I'm lucky to live in Italy and have never come into contact with such shit... not even among YouTube suggestions

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Isa

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
Why can't GAF implement a thread bot or something that automatically deletes all threads that discuss these sites? You don't even need mods, have an ai do it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I get that a lot of people don't care.

But some people are invested in the show.

Mercante is a mess, with no real place in the position she's in. She's endlessly fanning Flames and being a crybully. To the forum's larger opinions credit, it's become more of a personal grudge match between Mercante and JT, and it's basically gone beyond the original framework of the conflict.

To everyone else's credit - it's fucking entertaining as hell.

stn

I really can't stress how much I hate social media and all the weirdos it has spawned. When social media was first a thing back in the day, I used it to network and actually meet people (before it was a toxic lunatic-fest). Nowadays its just a sad cesspool of garbage.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Exactly. It's just unprofessional.
It's beyond unprofessional, I would have sack her on the spot.
There is no reason for a GAMES journalist (if you can even call them that) to be looking up information about someone loves ones so they can contact them just because they don't like what they say.
So many red flags of someone who is not mentally stable it's shocking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom