• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII- for PSP announced

Pimpwerx

*clears throat*

Dear Square,
GIVE ME A SEQUEL TO VAGRANT STORY GODDAMMIT!
Sincerely,
Duane

Seriously, fuck FF7. I played that like a friggin decade ago. Where is the proper sequel to Vagrant Story, arguably their best PS1 effort. I mean, the story of the Vagrant was just starting. They can't leave that as the sole game. It's totally unfinished. I've been begging for this from before the PS2 came out. For the love of God, make a good game for a change. :( PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
*clears throat*

Dear Square,
GIVE ME A SEQUEL TO VAGRANT STORY GODDAMMIT!
Sincerely,
Duane

Seriously, fuck FF7. I played that like a friggin decade ago. Where is the proper sequel to Vagrant Story, arguably their best PS1 effort. I mean, the story of the Vagrant was just starting. They can't leave that as the sole game. It's totally unfinished. I've been begging for this from before the PS2 came out. For the love of God, make a good game for a change. :( PEACE.

I agree. But you should give FFXII a try. It's being made by the same team as Vagrant Story was and they seem to give it elements from Vagrant Story - in both, gameplay and design. It's really the Final Fantasy to beat the shit out of the haters ("it's teh interactive movie) and probably the closest thing we'll see to Vagrant Story for a long time.

Pimpwerx

Guns N' Poops said:
I agree. But you should give FFXII a try. It's being made by the same team as Vagrant Story was and they seem to give it elements from Vagrant Story - in both, gameplay and design. It's really the Final Fantasy to beat the shit out of the haters ("it's teh interactive movie) and probably the closest thing we'll see to Vagrant Story for a long time.
That last sentence makes baby Jesus cry. :( I'll give it a look, but I don't have a PS2 anymore, and unless I can get a good deal on exchanging my GC for a PSTwo, I might just have to wait for this PSP game. But man, I thought I was the only one who remembered Vagrant Story for a while there. I have to read the gaming forums more often. Today's PSP announcement is the first time I've been really active here for months.

BTW, does FFXII have the weapons building aspects of VS? I loved that a lot. I also liked being able to target limbs and stuff to increase the chance of recovering certain weapons and armor. PEACE.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Pimpwerx said:
...unless I can get a good deal on exchanging my GC for a PSTwo...

i think a gc + 5 games will get you $100 in credit towards a pstwo at EB. i'd go for it if i didn't have a functioning ps2.

Scott

ferricide said:
does anyone who likes square but hate FFVII care what square is doing these days? o_O
It's not like this Final Fantasy VII "polymorphic content" project is the only thing they have going on. :p

There's also:

Egg Monster Heroes (DS)
EverQuest II (PC)
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (GBA)
Final Fantasy II (FOMA)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy XI: Online (PS2, PC) (ongoing project)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (DS)
Front Mission V (PS2)
Front Mission Mobile (FOMA)
Front Mission Online (PS2, PC)
Hanjuku Eiyuu IV: 7 Hito no Hanjuku Eiyuu (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)
Musashi: Samurai Legend (PS2)
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2)
Seiken Densetsu (DS)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the latest Hanjuku game.
EDIT: Added Final Fantasy II, EverQuest II, and Final Fantasy XI.

Pimpwerx said:
BTW, does FFXII have the weapons building aspects of VS? I loved that a lot. I also liked being able to target limbs and stuff to increase the chance of recovering certain weapons and armor. PEACE.
Such close details aren't revealed yet (and generally they are hiding the game for months now, there was a small jaw-dropping CG trailer at the TGS, though), but something in that direction is very likely. They'll build out the character customization in several meanings this time, not comparable to the older FFs.
BTW, I'd really like to see new footage soon, especially to see how the changed artworks for Vaan and Ashe look like in-game.

SantaC

Gold Member
Doom_Bringer said:
can't wait for Final Fantasy XII, that game looks hawt

Except for the main character. What is Square thinking with him/her? (I know it's a he) Too bad really, I love the FF games.

Edit: So why is Square giving us a movie, a cell phone game, a Devil May Cry clone, and a PSP action RPG (in 2006) instead of, you know, FFVII-2? The game fans WANT?

I don't really want FFVII-2, but I'd vastly prefer it to this scattershot milking. Except it doesn't make much sense to call it "milking" - milking is obvious, derivative, safe sequels with a built-in measure of guaranteed success. This is like shooting the cow with a revolver to see if the milk comes out faster through a hole in the side.

I think you've answered your own question. Square's staff have always prided themselves for going against people's expectations. They probably figure that since they already went the (relatively) straightforward sequel route with FFX2, there wouldn't be much point in taking the same approach for another FF sequel. The "compilation" is an attempt to do something different while still addressing market demand for FF7.

The other reason is the "polymorphic content" theory. Square Enix's new strategic consultant, Ichiro Otobe, thinks that the rise of networked games is causing a fragmentation of the game market, that this is the real reason for the decline in Japanese console game sales, and that therefore it's better to create IP that spans multiple platforms/formats than to limit each project to one format. I don't personally buy the reasoning, but it's what he believes and the theory Square Enix management has adopted.

jarrod

Banned
Scott said:
It's not like this Final Fantasy VII "polymorphic content" project is the only thing they have going on. :p

There's also:

Egg Monster Heroes (DS)
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (GBA)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (DS)
Front Mission V (PS2)
Front Mission Mobile (FOMA)
Front Mission Online (PS2, PC)
Hanjuku Eiyuu IV: 7 Hito no Hanjuku Eiyuu (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)
Musashi: Samurai Legend (PS2)
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2)
Seiken Densetsu (DS)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the latest Hanjuku game.
Hey, don't forget their better half. :p

-Ambrosia Odyssey (PS2)
-Cross Gate: Power Up Kit 3 (PC)
-Dragon Quest VIII: Sky, Sea, Earth & the Cursed Princess (PS2)
-Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special (PS2)
-Dragon Quest Monsters (DS)
-Dragon Quest Slime Morimori (DS)
-Fantasy Earth: The Ring of Dominion (PC)
-Radiata Stories (PS2)

...and you also missed....

-Final Fantasy II (FOMA)

BuddyC

Doom_Bringer said:
I know I saw and read the E3 impressions, some people didn't like it though. But those don't like FF in general so screw them.
I've read some very negative impressions from dedicated fans of the series, but I was thrilled with it. Abosultely smitten. It's just so refreshing and different.

BuddyChrist83 said:
I've read some very negative impressions from dedicated fans of the series, but I was thrilled with it. Abosultely smitten. It's just so refreshing and different.

yeah that’s exactly what the series needs (new combat system, no random battles etc). I want the game desperately, haven't played a good FF since FFX and that was like 3 years ago.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BuddyChrist83 said:
It's just so refreshing and different.

Oh... I thought it was KoTOR with more feminine characters.

Scott

jarrod said:
Hey, don't forget their better half. :p
I only included Square's titles as that's the portion he was specifically talking about. Trust me, I wouldn't forget the Dragon Quest Co. :p

But since you've brought 'em up, I'll add these:

Dragon Quest V (PS2) (there's a chance for a US release still)
Full Metal Alchemist & the Broken Angel (PS2)
Full Metal Alchemist: Demon of the Red Elixir (PS2)

Also, thanks for pointing out Final Fantasy II, I totally forgot that was coming to cellphones. I added it, EverQuest II, and Final Fantasy XI to the list above (ongoing project :p).

Hopefully that's it...

Since this is "Crisis Core" and the prequel was Before Crisis, and the other projects are sequels, I bet this one is set at the same time FFVII, showing a different perspective (maybe Turks/Shinra again) on the same events.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
If they're going to do anything with FFVII on the PSP, I'd much rather see something totally new that either takes place after FFVII on the PSX (and consequently coincides with Advent Children), or something that takes place before the original FFVII, perhaps focusing on the Turks or some-such.

I can really do without a remake of FFVII, if I wanted to play that I'd take it off my shelf and pop it in my PS2 right now...

SolidSnakex said:
I just want to know how exactly you came to that conclusion?

wasn't that the general consensus in the DOC thread when it was announced awhile back - probably because of the similarities in styling btw the 2 characters. I don't see how else they could play it. Vincent and his guns and its an action title. So.. yeah. Kryptonian could be right.

Zilch

Banned
Devil May Cry isn't an action RPG, which is what kryptonian is saying, I think.

I don't think he was trolling, just stating an incorrect assumption.

TheGreenGiant said:
wasn't that the general consensus in the DOC thread when it was announced awhile back - probably because of the similarities in styling btw the 2 characters. I don't see how else they could play it. Vincent and his guns and its an action title. So.. yeah. Kryptonian could be right.

As Zilch said, DMC isn't even an ARPG. I can't even think of an ARPG that even plays like DMC. An ARPG suggests something similar to Zelda rather than DMC.

kpop100 said:
um, no. Dude you're trolling of non Nintendo games is getting legendary.

You couldn't be more wrong. But believe what you like. Please check my post history to look like a fool.

Square is simply pimping out the franchise and is getting called on it.

But please spin away.

EDIT: plus I never said Devil May Cry was an ARPG. The term has been used for the crap Vincent game way before I used it.

krypt0nian said:
You couldn't be more wrong. But believe what you like. Square is simply pimping out the franchise and is getting called on it.

But please spin away.

EDIT: plus I never said Devil May Cry was an ARPG. The term has been used for the crap Vincent game way before I used it.

I don't think anyones denying that it is being milked. I'm just wondering how that means its another DMC game?

FF7 AC = Movie
FF7 BC = RPG
FF7 DoC = Action
FF7 CC = ARPG

Jonnyram

Back to the story... I think Core Crisis might be after BC but before FFVII. Maybe something big to do with Avalanche. Biggs and Wedge could be in it :D

Brofist

krypt0nian said:

You are talking about the wrong game though. The game everyone is calling Vincent May Cry is the action game coming out for PS2, this is an ARPG for the PSP that was announced, that we know very little about. Now you're an uninformed troll to boot.

SSX list (added the release system too.)

FF7 AC = Movie (PSP)
FF7 BC = RPG (Cell game)
FF7 DoC = Action (PS2)
FF7 CC = ARPG (PSP)

kpop100 said:
You are talking about the wrong game though. The game everyone is calling Vincent May Cry is the action game coming out for PS2, this is an ARPG for the PSP that was announced, that we know very little about. Now you're an uninformed troll to boot.

SSX list (added the release system too.)

FF7 AC = Movie (PSP)
FF7 BC = RPG (Cell game)
FF7 DoC = Action (PS2)
FF7 CC = ARPG (PSP)

Again please pull up stats on my post history on trolling or STFU. Easy thing to type but impossible to prove.

Uninformed? You sure are. I may be wrong about one game but you play the troll card when people disagree with you. Too damn funny.

Miburou

I don't know if you're a troll or not (although you do seem to be pretty sensitive whenever someone says something negative about Nintendo), but this quote of yours in the rumor thread about the PSP being only $235 was pretty funny :D:

Please check my other auctions on Ebay for my Brooklyn Bridge listing for more...

Miburou said:
I don't know if you're a troll or not (although you do seem to be pretty sensitive whenever someone says something negative about Nintendo), but this quote of yours in the rumor thread about the PSP being only $235 was pretty funny :D:

So count me along with the vast majority that thought it was over $200 - that's fair.

And I'm only "sensitive" when posters like Drinky etc go out of theri way to either troll or outright lie. Nothing wrong with that.

Miburou

Most people didn't expect it to be that cheap, but your quote implied that those who believed otherwise were gullible, hence why I now find it amusing.

Brofist

krypt0nian said:
Again please pull up stats on my post history on trolling or STFU. Easy thing to type but impossible to prove.

:lol I have better ways to kill time than to look through your posts. When I meet an asshole in real life, I don't need to record his voice conversation and play it back later to confirm he was piece of shit :lol

anyway from now on....

blockowned.jpg

Top Bottom