• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crop a game character and paste it on a real-life scenery resembling the game

Card Boy

Banned
PmI5Eyw.jpg

XS5LK.gif

HiiiLife

Poor guy getting banned with that Chris in Africa one. Shit was hilarious. Figured if the Ray Rice one made it past, the RE would. But I digress. All these pics are funny.

Bl@de

This reminds me, is there a game that accurately represents the Normandy landing ?

Duh, the game I used for this^^ First Medal of Honor on PC =) In my memories, the graphics were like in the picture. In reality ... not so much =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHscQgzkMKg

This was a defining moment in Gaming HIstory for me. The first real cinematic experience. I really thought, "wow I'm there". It took a long time until
a similar moment (the collapsing house in Uncharted 2)

mcz117chief

Duh, the game I used for this^^ First Medal of Honor on PC =) In my memories, the graphics were like in the picture. In reality ... not so much =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHscQgzkMKg

This was a defining moment in Gaming HIstory for me. The first real cinematic experience. I really thought, "wow I'm there". It took a long time until
a similar moment (the collapsing house in Uncharted 2)

I meant something more realistic, not like in the movies, but like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_w000-rf1Q#t=471

mcz117chief

Accurately? The only thing I can think of are strategy games like Hearts of Iron. But they are not shiny and 3d of course. They are typical Paradox Games

I am hoping for a Red Orchestra 2 mod or expansion that will cover this, but it will probably be another PrivateRyanesque battle rather than what really happened.

StayDead

I meant something more realistic, not like in the movies, but like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_w000-rf1Q#t=471

Woah, I've never seen any real footage of D-Day before. Is the images of entire squads being gunned down as soon as the lander opens a dramatization?

Besides, I'm not sure you could accurately ever depict a real war in a game otherwise your chances of ever surviving the game would be incredibly slim and insta death doesn't often make for good games. The only game I've ever seen and played that's made me truely think of how horrible war must've been is the Red Orchestra series. You just feel utterly helpless.

mcz117chief

Woah, I've never seen any real footage of D-Day before. Is the images of entire squads being gunned down as soon as the lander opens a dramatization?

In VAST majority of cases yes, war looks nothing like you see it in the movies or in games

Besides, I'm not sure you could accurately ever depict a real war in a game otherwise your chances of ever surviving the game would be incredibly slim and insta death doesn't often make for good games. The only game I've ever seen and played that's made me truely think of how horrible war must've been is the Red Orchestra series. You just feel utterly helpless.

Red Orchestra series is also a dramatization. Humans don't die so easily as you might think, just look at casualties the nations endured during the WWII, the number of wounded and taken prisoner are many times higher than the number of people killed, also, a lot of those deaths are from illnesses, friendly fire (much more common than you would think), accidents (stepping on your own mine, wrong use of ordnance, malfunctions especially in planes + landing/take-off accidents and dozens of others).

Take the battle of Peleliu for example, a pretty hardcore battle in the pacific, the US casualties: 1,508 killed and 6,635 wounded. Or Iwo Jima 6,821 killed and 19,217 wounded.

War is super slow, tedious, boring and "un-interesting". You just march across a field and fire a pot shot here and there, then lie on the ground for half an hour and then get hit in the leg or stomach so they take you back to base. Yes, of course there were some very high pitched battles during WW2, but those were rare and far between, mostly it was as dull as it could get. I am not saying that war is boring, millions of people died which is a horrible tragedy but I am saying that war doesn't look as "cool" as the media try to make it look.

Sorry for derail

danthefan

Subbed.

What an epic thread.

What's the story with the guys in he car looking at stuff, I want to understand.

The guys in the car are from FFXV, a game with an all male character cast (or close enough), the woman is Anita Sarkeesian, who has been making a series of videos about how women are treated in video games that have stirred up some pretty crazy reactions.

Top Bottom