• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Platform Smash Bros. coming to 3DS/WiiU, [Has Not Started Development]

I wonder... In which direction the series might go in terms of contents? It seems they added ALL in Brawl and in the meanwhile Nintendo has not created many new characters or IPs to use. Probably we'll see Layton anyway.
So I was thinking, it's time to begin a Nintendo X third party game??

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Astrosanity said:
Nintendo doesn't own the rights to anything Diddy Kong Racing related last I heard, so that one throw-away detail alone completely invalidates that entire rumor for me.

I thought Nintendo do have the rights to the game but not conker and banjo which was in the game.

Yousefb

There are plenty of characters Nintendo can add to the roster that were just Assist Trophies in Brawl

electroplankton said:
I wonder... In which direction the series might go in terms of contents? It seems they added ALL in Brawl and in the meanwhile Nintendo has not created many new characters or IPs to use. Probably we'll see Layton anyway.
So I was thinking, it's time to begin a Nintendo X third party game??

Big One

Banned
The list is a load of bull like pretty much all other early Smash rumors. When will people learn? Just wait till the game actually gets a trailer or two...then some legit rumors will pop up ala the roster leak for Brawl.

I like how for some bizarre reason this rumor remains vague about Ridley as if doing so will make this entire thing sound more real.

Also why the hell would Star Fox be getting a 4th rep (... Krystal?) when they already got flak for having 3 for Brawl when the IP is practically dead by now.

Big One

Banned
Astrosanity said:
I like how for some bizarre reason this rumor remains vague about Ridley as if doing so will make this entire thing sound more real.

Also why the hell would Star Fox be getting a 4th rep (... Krystal?) when they already got flak for having 3 for Brawl when the IP is practically dead by now.
Actually I think it's quite likely.

Sakurai loooves Mother, Fire Emblem, Star Fox. That's why there's even representation from those series even beating more popular series like Metroid in number of representatives.

Kid Icarus I can imagine two new characters ala Kirby in Brawl.

I can easily see that happening though. I have little doubt that Ridley will be the most requested character for an already rep'd Smash series if he's not already in by the time they properly announce the game next year.

Zelda on the other hand already has 4 reps, and the only remaining character who isn't unique to one particular 'generation' of Zelda is Tingle, who could probably at this rate just fall under his own franchise. Really, it depends whether this new Smash game aims to branch out and include a lot more one-off Nintendo games as fighters or just further beef up the characters for series that have already made it.

EDIT: I still remember him saying Cpt. Falcon was one of his favorite Nintendo characters in an interview, just for the character and pretty much the entire F-Zero series to get the shaft representation-wise in Brawl. Unless SF3DS brings back the series in a big way, I don't see there being a 4th Fox rep (though Krystal would lend herself to more of a unique moveset than Falco and Wolf at least).

Astrosanity said:
Unless SF3DS brings back the series in a big way, I don't see there being a 4th Fox rep (though Krystal would lend herself to more of a unique moveset than Falco and Wolf at least).
I was surprised that Krystal wasn't in Brawl, seemed like a better candidate than Wolf. I hope they get rid of Wolf for Krystal, at least her final smash won't be the Landmaster...right, right?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Big One said:
Actually I think it's quite likely.

Sakurai loooves Mother, Fire Emblem, Star Fox. That's why there's even representation from those series even beating more popular series like Metroid in number of representatives.

Kid Icarus I can imagine two new characters ala Kirby in Brawl.

The thing is people only view the Western fanbase. Despite not having much sales, the fans of those games are quite abundant in Japan.

Astrosanity said:

As much as I love Mr. O'Donnell that spot should've been Krystal's in the first place. She would've been a guaranteed "Not a Fox with a LANDBASTARD Clone" and would've brought something original to the table. Hopefully Falco and Wolf become more of their own characters and not tweaked Fox clones in this iteration.

All Sakurai needs to make me happy is Saki/Airan or Isa/Kachi as playable characters and Mike with the ST Falcon as an Assist Trophy and I'm good. I'll keep my expectations to the hilt this time. This will change when Japan Time is in full effect.

I was annoyed as hell at first when Wolf was leaked but in-game I find him way more fun to use than Fox or Falco with Brawl's floatier system. I'm up for him being re-tweaked rather than replaced by Krystal, and same for Falco (who was one of my mains in Melee).

Personally banking on Ridley, Little Mac and Samurai Goroh. After that I have my wishes but those are the big 3 I think absolutely deserve to be in.

Ithil said:
"Kid Icarus"?

I would think Sakurai knows the name of the character he just made a game about.
He didn't call Pit "Kid Icarus", though. Each paragraph is describing a different franchise.

Not that I believe these rumors are real in any way.

Boss Doggie

ReXXXSoprano said:
As much as I love Mr. O'Donnell that spot should've been Krystal's in the first place. She would've been a guaranteed "Not a Fox with a LANDBASTARD Clone" and would've brought something original to the table. Hopefully Falco and Wolf become more of their own characters and not tweaked Fox clones in this iteration.

But Rexxxie, Krystal's just as prone in becoming a clone as Wolf's... at least they managed to give Wolf a feral fighting style with special moves barely looking similar.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sakurai already gave an outline. His first duty as producer would be to assemble the team, hiring more people that will be joined by the Kid Icarus team when they are done. The first duty would be to port Brawl over to Wii U / 3DS and begin working on the mechanics.

Things like "more SEGA third party characters" being such an early priority are so asinine and wet dream retard fanboyish.

She has a magical staff that can shoot fire, cause earthquakes and freeze people and for a recovery could use her pet pterodactyl.

In an alternate universe where Dinosaur Planet stayed Dinosaur Planet and Rare got bought out by Nintendo, she'd probably already be in the series by now.

Boss Doggie

Astrosanity said:
She has a magical staff that can shoot fire, cause earthquakes and freeze people and for a recovery could use her pet pterodactyl.

In an alternate universe where Dinosaur Planet stayed Dinosaur Planet and Rare got bought out by Nintendo, she'd probably already be in the series by now.

Said attacks can end up being reskins of Star Fox specials.

Also, Ganon isn't a Captain Falcon clone but look how he ended up.

DarkKyo

There desperately needs to be a Square character this time. And no Final Fantasy guys because Dissidia is their fighting game. Honestly I'd kill for either Chrono, Sora, or Marche. Sora especially would be awesome because not only is he used to exploring other worlds, but the keyblade seems like it would be quite the awesome weapon for a game like Smash bros(soft fighting, no blood like you'd imagine Chrono and Marche and their swords have seen in their day lol).

Ookami-kun said:
Also, Ganon isn't a Captain Falcon clone but look how he ended up.
Because Melee was rushed as all hell and at the end it was either reusing what they had for Ganon as a Cpt. Falcon clone or not having him at all? A rushed development time is probably never going to be the reason behind an inexplicable clone again.
I don't even like Krystal goddam she'd just logically be more original than Falco or Wolf

oh god it's beginning again

Boss Doggie

Astrosanity said:
Because Melee was rushed as all hell and at the end it was either reusing what they had for Ganon as a Cpt. Falcon clone or not having him at all? A rushed development time is probably never going to be the reason behind an inexplicable clone again.
I don't even like Krystal goddam she'd just logically be more original than Falco or Wolf

oh god it's beginning again

She can't be that more original though, especially when doesn't even use the staff's powers. If anything, she'll end up being yet another generic "chick". Hell, I'm glad they made Wolf "more original" by making him werewolf-ish, which is kudos to Sakurai. Never imagined him to be a space cowboy endowed by lycanthropy.

TreIII

If Krystal even remains a poignant part of the StarFox series itself at this point, I'll be surprised.

SF64-3D is the ideal means to relaunch the series, starting from where everybody last agreed the series was good. Assuming the series gets a continuance, I honestly wouldn't mind at all if everything made past 64 was stricken from the record and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only fan of the series that felt the same way.

Boss Doggie

I think everyone (save her strange Western fans) wants Krystal out, but somehow in Japan the rest are loved. Maybe because Tetsu Inada is Panther? Or maybe it's that gay psycho Leon?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The most important thing for me is that it has robust DLC support. I would love to get content from newly released games added to Smash.

Anth0ny

Sakurai wants to focus more on characters this time, and less on the extra fluff, though he still wants there to be plenty of extra content.

I knew he was trollin after the first line.

Sakurai doesn't do what the fans want. We'll get a new single player adventure that strives to top the last. It'll be longer and betterer than SSE! Wow!

WillyFive

Neoriceisgood said:
So what are things you'd hate to see happen with the next smash?

Put side characters from game series already represented in Smash Bros, and ignore all the new IP's that have come out this gen.

Anth0ny said:
I knew he was trollin after the first line.

Sakurai doesn't do what the fans want. We'll get a new single player adventure that strives to top the last. It'll be longer and betterer than SSE! Wow!
Lol, I hope not. Shit sucked. SSE was far and away the worst thing Hal Labs has been responsible for.

Ushojax said:
The most important thing for me is that it has robust DLC support. I would love to get content from newly released games added to Smash.
I thought Smash was typically a generation behind. Brawl is up to end of Gamecube era Nintendo aside from trophies and music IIRC. At leastr I thought that was the reason for no Luigi's mansion in Melee and no Mario Galaxy in Brawl. Plus wasn't Ike his Path of Radiance design rather his SSJ2 Radiant Dawn design.

So now content as in characters is a no (also due to dev team disbanded). Now music, stickers, trophies would be a great way of keeping people booting the game and advertising newer products without much work.

Balance patches too maybe. They did change some stats in Melee for the European version...

Ganon was my biggest disappointment in Brawl's characters. I know he was just a Captain Falcon clone, but I loved how he played. I do hope that they make him a more unique character. There's so much they could do with him (maybe give him a SWORD?).

I barely even remember what Brawl did to him, I just remember he played like crap.

Boss Doggie

I'll be disappointed if Jiro from Rolling Western isn't in this :(

And just in case Literal Genie pops out, I mean in this as a playable character.

Javier

I can see Sakurai adding a Xenoblade character just to troll the American fans.

Like Animal Crossing and Electroplankton in Brawl, series without potentially playable characters should still be represented through other means. Hotel Dusk stage, goddammit.

I do think a single player 3DS version where you transfer your (extremely customizable character) for multiplayer Wii U version sounds badass. I hope that Sakurai does something like this.

Ookami-kun said:
But Rexxxie, Krystal's just as prone in becoming a clone as Wolf's... at least they managed to give Wolf a feral fighting style with special moves barely looking similar.

Astrosanity said:

Pretty much what Astrosanity said. Everything about her Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures roots would make for one hell of a move set for her. Which guarantees she won't be a clone of any kind. And you could alternate costume her all day long. Something I'd gladly pay for.

I think Krystal would make a good addition, as long as they focused on staff fighting. I actually like Wolf in Brawl too, even though his recovery sucks. The one I have issue with is Falco. I know a lot of tournament players prefer him (or they did in Melee, anyway), but most of his differences are minor, Dr. Mario-style balance tweak. I wouldn't mind if he returned, but I'd like to see him reinvented a lot more than in Brawl.

And of course, three different "Landmasters," one one which the character bitches about using, and the third just completely pulled out of Sora's butt was really poor use of the franchise.

At least it wasn't as bad as their plans to make "Toon Zelda"... that was paired with "Toon Sheik." This has never been a thing, if anything at the time, "Toon Zelda" was Tetra. So it was just them planning to clone and reuse the existing Zelda like they cloned Link for YL in Melee, and Toon Link in Brawl. Considering they barely made Brawl Link "Twilight Princess"-themed outside of basic look, it would've been way too much of an OoT fixation.

Astrosanity said:
Who needs classic video game villains when you can have whatever the fuck this thing was supposed to be?

Lost element from a planned Kingdom Hearts inclusion!

Did always seem a little annoying to me, all these original enemies... except some SMB enemies thrown in. Not even Ganon's enemies from Melee, despite him also being involved. Can't remember if the Ice Climber enemies were in that one section of the Great Maze or not. In general SSE was a pretty poor celebration of the worlds these characters came from, it was more like general area templates they sort of fit in.

Boss Doggie

ReXXXSoprano said:
Pretty much what Astrosanity said. Everything about her Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures roots would make for one hell of a move set for her. Which guarantees she won't be a clone of any kind. And you could alternate costume her all day long. Something I'd gladly pay for.

I already answered that with ganon-comparison

Well that's not really an answer since any new character with a full movest from their games has the potential to just become a clone due to a variety of different reasons. It's dumb to continue arguing about it anyway since clearly neither of us like the character in the first place and merely have different ideas how she'd work in Smash.

I lost a lot of friends to arguments over 'what if' scenarios about Smash during Dojo

Okay not really but still

Kulock said:
Did always seem a little annoying to me, all these original enemies... except some SMB enemies thrown in. Not even Ganon's enemies from Melee, despite him also being involved. Can't remember if the Ice Climber enemies were in that one section of the Great Maze or not. In general SSE was a pretty poor celebration of the worlds these characters came from, it was more like general area templates they sort of fit in.
Didn't help a lot of those OC enemies seemed to be simply based off pre-existing Nintendo (mostly Kirby, but that's still better than nothing) characters. Maybe SSE originally started as an individual IP unrelated to Smash?

Top Bottom