• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Platform Smash Bros. coming to 3DS/WiiU, [Has Not Started Development]

NeonZ

how is Pikachu representing it if there isn't a Trainer yelling "Thunder!" and "Skull Bash!"? "Representing the main gameplay" has never and will never be a requirement.

I really disagree. Especially if you look at the evolution of the kind of new movesets added to the series. Smash has moved more and more in the direction of trying to represent the various games in gameplay too, not only basic visual imagery. Now, yes, of course, for an RPG, you won't get a freaking menu system, but dumping the main character for what is mostly a generic enemy just doesn't seem to be the style of this series.

And why would Nintendo bring this asinine "no Slime" rule into play with Smash, even though Slime was the one chosen to be playable in Mario Sports Mix?

Mario Sports Mix includes a generic Toad, Miis, a moogle and a cactuar. You might make some argument regarding a Slime and Dragon Quest, but the moogle and cactuar show that the character selection in that game is pretty divergent from what you'd see in Smash. They just aren't the symbol of Final Fantasy at all. I think there's a clear difference between the characters chosen by Smash and the ones that appear in the various Mario spin offs.

KevinCow

Banned
NeonZ said:
Mario Sports Mix includes a generic Toad, Miis, a moogle and a cactuar. You might make some argument regarding a Slime and Dragon Quest, but the moogle and cactuar show that the character selection in that game is pretty divergent from what you'd see in Smash. They just aren't the symbol of Final Fantasy at all. I think there's a clear difference between the characters chosen by Smash and the ones that appear in the various Mario spin offs.

You might have a point if Slime wasn't the sole representative of Dragon Quest in that game. Final Fantasy has a moogle and a cactuar, sure, but it had player characters in Black Mage, White Mage, and Ninja first.

Or if they hadn't chosen Slime of all things to appear next to Mario in that one Japan-only Mario/Dragon Quest crossover game:

Itadaki_Street_DS_JPN.jpg

Why do you keep insisting that Slime is on the same level as a generic Toad or Goomba? Slime is who Square-Enix chooses to represent the Dragon Quest series. It is exactly the same situation as Pokemon. Which, yes, eventually got Pokemon Trainer to represent the actual gameplay of Pokemon games better, but at the same time got Lucario because he was the face of the latest generation.

I think it's a reasonable argument that Slime doesn't represent the gameplay of Dragon Quest all that well, so I guess it comes down to whether SE and Sakurai would rather use the mascot of the series or try to represent the actual gameplay with a hero. SE, I'm sure, would prefer Slime since he stands out more. I can't pretend to know what Sakurai's thinking, but if I were in his situation, I'd probably not be too keen on including yet another swordsman in the game.

It's really hard to take in the fact that we most likely won't be seeing this game until E3 NEXT YEAR! *cries*

Sakurai should do an early dojo where he updates on everything as they come to fruition in development.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
AzureJericho said:
The entirety of that Wombo Combo video is just so fucking improv and it works just because of that. I instinctively start grinning every time I hear the start up "HAPPY FEET!"

It's like the Marvel 2 video and the "ITS MAHVEL BABY" line, sometimes the funny behind this stuff just can't be explained.

BTW superior "Wombo Combo" aka "Wombo Combo Girl's night Out" aka "Wombo Combo: That IS Falco".

Edit: I am totally down for more powerful/N64 like throws. God I miss Samus's, DK's, & Link's back throws & Luigi's forward throw strength. :lol

So essentially obnoxious people yelling :p

Masahiro Sakurai, the man responsible for Smash Bros. and the upcoming Kid Icarus, has spoken about the upcoming Wii U Smash Bros. title and said that it will be a huge improvement over its predecessors.

Masahiro Sakurai spoke recently about the upcoming Smash Bros. games for Wii U and 3DS and promised that they will be better than anything we have seen before.

There are apparently many aspects of Brawl that could be improved upon and once we see the high quality of Kid Icarus on 3DS, we will realize just how great the new Smash Bros games could possibly be.

"There are many things that can be improved upon even in Brawl. Also, I think you can base your expectations of the new Smash Bros. once you see how well-made Kid Icarus is. The director of each game is the same, but because I regularly change my team around after projects, we will be able to see how good the team is then."
When asked about new characters, Sakurai couldn't go into specifics because they hadn't discussed this yet but it could be assumed that they will mostly be similar to Brawl as Nintendo "has not created many new characters lately."

What are you hoping to see from the new Smash Bros.? And what new characters would you like to see in the game? Master Hand compels you to comment.

New smash update

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
DaSorcerer7 said:
New smash update

they kinda says same thing as always?

Is it me that way they said seem that they are not changing the game much and add few characters? I don't know.

It could be reporter assuming.

Not going to hype until e3 2012.

When asked about new characters, Sakurai couldn't go into specifics because they hadn't discussed this yet but it could be assumed that they will mostly be similar to Brawl as Nintendo "has not created many new characters lately."

The flip does that mean? Is it going to be "fewer new characters", closer to the amount Brawl has roster wise or is he talking about NEW new characters seeing as Brawl had new characters that were from older IPs (Pit/ MK/ D3/ ROB/ PT/ Lucas/ ZS/ Wario/ Wolf/ Diddy and so on are all old)?

W/e, just add in as many more Pokemon as he can and try to put in some more females (Come ON, just add in Krystal already. It would tickle my furry bone AND add in a non-Fox fighter if she used the Staff...) and I will be happy with it. (I also want the 2 characters from S&P2)

But he COULD try to add in those 2nd party RPGs Nintendo wont bring over ... those are new characters :p

Acerac

Banned
Anth0ny said:
throws in smash bros-

Smash 64- kill moves
Melee- combo starters
Brawl- COMPLETELY FUCKING USELESS

solution: bring back hitstun
But Smash is not supposed to be competitive. Even the worst players are supposed to win half the time if they try real hard.

I'm not bitter. I swear.
likeGdid said:
Sakurai's Devroom

EDIT: Bring back the Doc, Roy, Mewtwo
Or, more importantly, bring back blockstun and remove tripping to give the game some semblance of a fighting game.

Doc really should return. Love that doctor punch. It's just so fair. ;)

Black-Wind said:
W/e, just add in as many more Pokemon as he can and try to put in some more females (Come ON, just add in Krystal already. It would tickle my furry bone
Kinky!

likeGdid

BlueSummers said:
It's really hard to take in the fact that we most likely won't be seeing this game until E3 NEXT YEAR! *cries*

Sakurai should do an early dojo where he updates on everything as they come to fruition in development.

Sakurai's Devroom

EDIT: Bring back the Doc, Roy, Mewtwo

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Black-Wind said:
W/e, just add in as many more Pokemon as he can and try to put in some more females (Come ON, just add in Krystal already. It would tickle my furry bone ...
Gross...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not you too Black-Wind. :(

Electivirus said:
The most likely scenario, yeah. I could see that totally working, though.

I'd probably play as Zoroark more than I played as Lucario, tbh.

Also Raichu needs to be in. Somehow...

Kurtofan

Black-Wind said:
The flip does that mean? Is it going to be "fewer new characters", closer to the amount Brawl has roster wise or is he talking about NEW new characters seeing as Brawl had new characters that were from older IPs (Pit/ MK/ D3/ ROB/ PT/ Lucas/ ZS/ Wario/ Wolf/ Diddy and so on are all old)?

W/e, just add in as many more Pokemon as he can and try to put in some more females (Come ON, just add in Krystal already. It would tickle my furry bone AND add in a non-Fox fighter if she used the Staff...) and I will be happy with it. (I also want the 2 characters from S&P2)

But he COULD try to add in those 2nd party RPGs Nintendo wont bring over ... those are new characters :p
Don't tickle your furry bone (wtf man) and keep Krystal the hell out of smash.

Dr.Hadji

Anth0ny said:
throws in smash bros-

Smash 64- kill moves
Melee- combo starters
Brawl- COMPLETELY FUCKING USELESS

solution: bring back hitstun

You Melee people are so hyperbolic its ridiculous. If you can't combo its useless is pretty much the Melee argument in a nutshell.

Sennorin

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
You Melee people are so hyperbolic its ridiculous. If you can't combo its useless is pretty much the Melee argument in a nutshell.

Melee people are even more ridiculous sind SSB64 is the best Smash Bros.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm wonder what Poke-stage will be in the next Smash... Spear Pillar was awesome. Would be awesome to have N's Castle.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
the one thing i really want from this is the return of roy. one of the ones removed that i was really dissappointed with.

Boss Doggie

Andrex said:
Zoroark is probably gonna replace Lucario, lol.

Why are people saying this? It baffles my mind!

Lucario didn't "replace" anyone. Mewtwo wasn't replaced. It makes me rage!

DONT MAKE ME USE BUFF SAMUROTT AVATAR!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Your opinion doesn't count Ookami. :p

Anyways it'll be exciting to see many of the gen fivers even as Pokeballs.

GamerSoul

Forget the new characters, start with the assist trophies as new candidates and then crack open that big ass book of Nintendo characters of yester year.

Boss Doggie

I'm just saying. The Lucario comment thing comes from clueless people :p

GamerSoul said:
Forget the new characters, start with the assist trophies as new candidates and then crack open that big ass book of Nintendo characters of yester year.

But some assist trophies aren't meant to be playable anyway.

Wichu

I'm hoping for a Xenoblade representative (most likely gonna be Shulk), just for the guaranteed awesome stage/music.

CassSept

Just please make the game faster. Brawl seemed so sluggish that while I like the game, I haven't put even nearly the same amount of time I did with Melee.

Javier

A Mario Galaxy stage where you travel from planet to planet in floating platforms, using similar mechanics like Delfino Plaza in Brawl.

Make it happen, Sakurai.

Andrex said:
Not you too Black-Wind. :(

What can I say ... I felt the magic and heard the roar. :/
Already developing my own Thundercats character.

IDK where this road is gonna take me ... but I wont fight it.

Also Raichu needs to be in. Somehow...
Make him a optional clone!
Damn, I don't know how I had it worked out in my head but there was something about customizing characters or something that made me think of that.

Ookami-kun said:
Why are people saying this? It baffles my mind!

Lucario didn't "replace" anyone. Mewtwo wasn't replaced. It makes me rage!

DONT MAKE ME USE BUFF SAMUROTT AVATAR!
WELLLLLL, Zoroark is the new furry-friendly cool Pokemon mascot for this gen so he would get preference over Lucario much like how Lucario got in over Mewtwo yet it seems he was planed for the game even tho he wasn't in the final product.

I actually wonder if Whimsicott will get in like J-puff did. Because Coro Coro or w/e JPN mag did a poll not long ago for what 5th gen Pokemon is Japan's Favorite. The first place winner was ... that Lamp one. But 2nd place was Whimsicott. Zoroark was pretty damn far down.

Professor Beef said:
That looks like a mish-mash of Mario Party and Monopoly.

I must have it.
It's pretty much monopoly.

I hope they make this next smash much more deep than Brawl, more in the vein of Melee (but without having to revert to exploiting the game's own systems to make the game deep).

With the latest Nintendo games offering the super guide in order to help new players out I could possibly see them offering more depth.

Javier

Isn't Zoroark's whole schtick that he can copy the looks of his opponents while still retaining his own moves? I don't see Sakurai going through the trouble of animating Zoroark's special moves on every character model.

Am I the only one who prefers less characters and more/best modes? Complete some modes with up to ¿35? characters seemed boring. I would prefer to have only 15 or 20 if they spend the remaining time improving classic mode, adventure mode, or making new ones.

Sennorin

Banned
Franchuzas87 said:
Am I the only one who prefers less characters and more/best modes? Complete some modes with up to ¿35? characters seemed boring. I would prefer to have only 15 or 20 if they spend the remaining time improving classic mode, adventure mode, or making new ones.

Fuck "improving adventure mode". Remove it. thx

Franchuzas87 said:

Personally, I think they should get rid of some characters (Lucario, ROB, G&W, Toon Link).
But they need to put in some good third party characters (Travis Touchdown!)

And make adventure mode more specific to each character. Like... kind of play out their game in a Smash Bros sort of way.

They should also do challenges better.

Sennorin said:
Fuck "improving adventure mode". Remove it. thx
The adventure mode is precisely the one with major room for improvement. Instead of so generic levels, the should set in actual locations of the games (like combat stages). Then it would be the ultimate Nintendo crossover that deserves to be.

Of course, without unattended the fighting on the road.

Anth0ny

Franchuzas87 said:
The adventure mode is precisely the one with major room for improvement. Instead of so generic levels, the should set in actual locations of the games (like combat stages). Then it would be the ultimate Nintendo crossover that deserves to be.

Of course, without unattended the fighting on the road.

So Melee adventure mode.

I agree with that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Franchuzas87 said:

I'm the opposite. My investment in Smash is purley for a chaotic mascot driven party figthter. My idea of the perfect Smash Bros. 4 is every character and map that was in Brawl, plus even more. I want more more MOAR!

I wouldn't mind if adventure mode was made good though. It was a nice though fairly bland mode in Melee, meanwhile Sakurai completely dropped the ball on what could have been in Brawl. Brawl's fucking shitful adventure mode has alone cast skeptism on how Kid Icarus will shape up.

Actually, I wonder if the 3DS version will even have an adventure mode.
It might be strictly multiplayer with some single player challenges and such.

Anth0ny

AceBandage said:
Actually, I wonder if the 3DS version will even have an adventure mode.
It might be strictly multiplayer with some single player challenges and such.

It should be the opposite tbh.

Make the handheld version strictly/mostly single player based, no-one wants to play Smash multiplayer on a handheld. It's like playing Super Street Fighter IV on 3DS as opposed to 360/PS3.

Smash Bros is meant to be played on one screen with a bunch of friends. If you want a single player based experience, pick up the 3DS version. Unlockable trophies, stickers and all that other bullshit await. If you want a multiplayer game, pick up the Wii U version. Imagine if the Wii U team focused specifically on 50+ characters, balancing, alt costumes, stages, music and NETCODE. All the other extraneous bullshit that no once cares about after a week is left on the 3DS. I really wish Nintendo thought like this.

Instead, they'll be balanced, and we'll more than likely get way more single player than anyone asked for. Like in Brawl =/

EatChildren said:
I'm the opposite. My investment in Smash is purley for a chaotic mascot driven party figthter. My idea of the perfect Smash Bros. 4 is every character and map that was in Brawl, plus even more. I want more more MOAR!

I wouldn't mind if adventure mode was made good though. It was a nice though fairly bland mode in Melee, meanwhile Sakurai completely dropped the ball on what could have been in Brawl. Brawl's fucking shitful adventure mode has alone cast skeptism on how Kid Icarus will shape up.
Then beat challenges like "complete all-star mode with all characters" would be as much fun as fighting in a clone war :p

Top Bottom