• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Platform Smash Bros. coming to 3DS/WiiU, [Has Not Started Development]

Anth0ny

Franchuzas87 said:
Then beat challenges like "complete all-star mode with all characters" would be as much fun as fighting in a clone war :p

But no-one actually completes all star mode with all characters. I've been playing Melee for 10 years and I still haven't done that shit.

It should be an achievement and nothing more. It should absolutely not hold back the developers from including more characters. That's just stupid.

Poyunch

So I had the best idea for Young Link's Final Smash but I didn't want to bump an old thread just to post it.

Make it like Peach's Toad attack except with a Cucco. If a player attacks the Cucco it calls a bunch of Cucco that fly across the screen hitting everyone except Young Link. Or if it's Toon Link just have a bunch of pigs spawn in the air and do the same.

Anth0ny said:
But no-one actually completes all star mode with all characters. I've been playing Melee for 10 years and I still haven't done that shit.

It should be an achievement and nothing more. It should absolutely not hold back the developers from including more characters. That's just stupid.
I don't remember if I did it in Brawl but I definitely did it in Melee for the trophies.

Somnid

AceBandage said:
Actually, I wonder if the 3DS version will even have an adventure mode.
It might be strictly multiplayer with some single player challenges and such.

The way Sakurai worded it the portable version would be the "personal" version and the Wii U would be the "Arena" version. They'd be flipped.

Anth0ny said:

I love to squeeze games. Unlock all content, get the trophies, and so on. Maybe it's just my thing.

Franchuzas87 said:
Am I the only one who prefers less characters and more/best modes? Complete some modes with up to ¿35? characters seemed boring. I would prefer to have only 15 or 20 if they spend the remaining time improving classic mode, adventure mode, or making new ones.

I like solo modes but I don't really replay them. So I'd take 50 characters and 50 stages over new modes.

AceBandage said:
Personally, I think they should get rid of some characters (Lucario, ROB, G&W, Toon Link).

Over. my. dead. body.

NeonZ

AceBandage said:
Actually, I wonder if the 3DS version will even have an adventure mode.
It might be strictly multiplayer with some single player challenges and such.

Didn't the comments we saw earlier basically indicate the opposite? The 3DS version will focus on single player and some kind of co-op, while the console version will be a more traditional Vs game and a way to showcase what you got on the 3DS.

Then beat challenges like "complete all-star mode with all characters" would be as much fun as fighting in a clone war :p

They'd just need to change the way rewards work. Brawl's Adventure more was much longer than Melee's, so, there was not any kind of prize for playing it from beginning to the ending with each character, unlike Melee's.

So, if the number of characters gets even higher, they could either make All Star just give trophies per difficulty level, rather than character, get trophies based on some other choice (maybe there could be "routes", selectable groups of opponents) or they could include some kind of tag team mechanic, so you'd be able to finish with more than one character per playthrough.

likeGdid

Smash on 3DS is going to have to be handled elegantly. With its resolution, everyone would only be a small mass of pixels zoomed out.

But still, I've been wanting handheld smash for a while. I can see the appeal of friends just whipping out their 3DSs to play a quick match anywhere. Smash sounds like it's much better geared toward that than Street Fighter.

On another note, I can't understand the viewpoint of taking out content. If anything, everyone and every stage from the past should be included.

Roto13

Anth0ny said:

I beat every mode with every character. I don't think it would ever keep the character count down. If I want to play through all of the single player modes with every character, having more characters isn't going to stop me.

NeonZ said:
They'd just need to change the way rewards work. Brawl's Adventure more was much longer than Melee's, so, there was not any kind of prize for playing it from beginning to the ending with each character, unlike Melee's.

So, if the number of characters get even higher, they could either make All Star just give trophies per difficulty level, rather than character, get trophies based on some other choice (maybe there could be "routes") or they could include some kind of tag team mechanic, so you'd be able to finish with more than one character per playthrough.
That would be great.

So I guess Nintendo is the worst now when it comes to announcing games? Seems desperate on their end when the game hasn't even started development.

sly2thefox said:
So I guess Nintendo is the worst now when it comes to announcing games? Seems desperate on their end when the game hasn't even started development.
They did the same thing with Brawl...
It's not desperate at all.
It just is.

Anth0ny said:

lol

I totally have. :D

AR hacks that allow you to C-stick in 1 player make 1 player so much more fun. Event mode baby.

sly2thefox said:
Kinda weird, yes. One of the first games announced probably won't be launched until 2013, maybe later.

Makes me wonder what 1st party games will be at Wii U launch, and in what stage of production are right now.

Retro

Adventure Mode needs to be treated the same way as everything else in Smash Brothers; as an homage to all things Nintendo. The original and Melee both had the Adventure mode comprised of levels based off the franchises; SSB4 needs to return to that.

So, remake part of Adventure of Link in HD. Remake part of Super Metroid in HD. Remake chunks of Super Mario Bros. 3 in HD. Remake chunks of Kid Icarus in HD. With orchestrated music.

Hell, you don't even need to stick with just 2-D parts of the franchises, just remake the 'key moments' from franchise history and remake them in 2-D

I know Melee already did it, and did it pretty damn good, but I'm like EatChildren; MOAR!

I'll take more of that vs. the rather generic-looking Adventure mode of Brawl. Seeing the awesome moments of Nintendo History kicked up to HD? Yes please.

Retro said:
Adventure Mode needs to be treated the same way as everything else in Smash Brothers; as an homage to all things Nintendo. The original and Melee both had the Adventure mode comprised of levels based off the franchises; SSB4 needs to return to that.

So, remake part of Adventure of Link in HD. Remake part of Super Metroid in HD. Remake chunks of Super Mario Bros. 3 in HD. Remake chunks of Kid Icarus in HD. With orchestrated music.

Hell, you don't even need to stick with just 2-D parts of the franchises, just remake the 'key moments' from franchise history and remake them in 2-D

I know Melee already did it, and did it pretty damn good, but I'm like EatChildren; MOAR!

I'll take more of that vs. the rather generic-looking Adventure mode of Brawl.
homer82.gif

Anth0ny

The Crimson Blur said:
lol

I totally have. :D

AR hacks that allow you to C-stick in 1 player make 1 player so much more fun. Event mode baby.

oh god I need to find an action replay and do that. Lack of c-stick fucks me up so badly in single player :lol

Anth0ny

Kurtofan said:
Melee Adventure mode was too repetitive though, it was boring after you did it with three characters.

And Brawl's was just boring, period.

vertopci said:
Won't be buying the new Smash unless they fixed all the shit they fucked up in brawl

You are asking for a lot, my friend. You see, Melee was simply too difficult...

NeonZ

Anth0ny said:
And Brawl's was just boring, period.

Have you tried to play through some of the harder stages of Brawl's adventure mode in a finished game (so, free character selection and no story segments) in the harder difficulties? Especially the Subspace Bomb factory or the Castle stage?

I think the cutscenes really break the pacing and tension (due to recovering HP) of the stages, but I guess most people who disliked the mode didn't even try those stages a second time like that. I've replayed those stages many times while collecting stickers and such, and actually had fun, but replaying the story itself a second time to get the missing cutscenes was significantly worse.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Javier said:
Isn't Zoroark's whole schtick that he can copy the looks of his opponents while still retaining his own moves? I don't see Sakurai going through the trouble of animating Zoroark's special moves on every character model.

Could be like an improved Kirby. He basically can copy whatever character he wants, including the model (with a tail?) and most of the moves.

Man

Damn. I'm still amazed at this announcement. Not yet in development during E3. Hysterical and insulting in the same breath.

Gravijah

PounchEnvy said:
http://i.imgur.com/O2v8y.png[IMG]
[spoiler]Couldn't find Green Scar's old avatar so this will have to do.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2w57U.gif

Green Scar said:
You may need to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector :p

I'm not the only one! ;p

NeonZ

AceBandage said:
Not really.

It followed the exact same path.

Iwata announced it on stage at E3 2005, we then got a trailer the next year.

I think he means that they didn't reveal that the game wasn't already into development by the point of the announcement only the next year, after they did the official unveiling with the trailer.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Fantastical said:
I thought he waited until the roundtable to announce Brawl...
EDIT: or was that the trailer?

I think we had to wait for a year to get trailer; just same idea as what we are dealing with.

At first tehy were planning to do melee online but sakurai accepted the job and now they did brawl.

Why would people want to reduce the characters for single player modes. I love them as optional and I WANT MORE CHARACTERS AND STAGES.

I'm not sure "Hey we're going to make another Smash Bros. game" really counts as an announcement

That is something that can be gleamed by, like, the sun rising. Oh, hey, the sun rose! I wonder if Nintendo will make another Smash Bros. game!

It was probably more of a way to calm down anyone that was getting worried that Sakurai was being wasted on Kid Icarus.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man said:
Damn. I'm still amazed at this announcement. Not yet in development during E3. Hysterical and insulting in the same breath.
They had to announce it so they could hire a team, because for some reason they thought it was a great idea to dissolve the entire Brawl team.

Edit:

Here's the quote.

VG247 said:
“Right now, we’re devoting all our manpower to working on Kid Icarus,” Project Sora head Masahiro Sakurai said in a Famitsu column translated by 1UP. “We’ve got no plans whatsoever – we’ve got two new games out in the open when there’s no extra time to work with them at all. It makes me cringe, and I’m not sure it’s the smartest thing to make gamers wait for several years, but the early announcement was made chiefly in order to attract new team members.”
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/23/sak...er-for-smash-bros-several-year-wait-possible/

Nirolak said:
They had to announce it so they could hire a team, because for some reason they thought it was a great idea to dissolve the entire Brawl team.

Well most of it was Game Arts. It was never a concrete team.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not a rumor... but I don't really think we have details for it since it's just being made.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
SuperAngelo64 said:
Any TGS rumors for this game?

This announcement sort of faded into obscurity after E3.

I don't think there are any, and I don't see why there would be. Nintendo never attends or shows anything at TGS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GamerSoul said:
It amazes me how unprepared they are with such a successful, flagship series. Who knows what we're gonna end up with.

Why would they need to prepare on something that was just greenlit?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SMH @ Gamefaqs. They said they found it from /V/ but some people seem to believed in this rumor. I think it was obviously fake and just want to share the amusing thing with yall.

<b><i>ChronoCactaur posted...</i></b>
<i>-Sakurai wants to focus more on characters this time, and less on the extra fluff, though he still wants there to be plenty of extra content.

-Some of the assist trophy characters will become full characters, however Lucario will not be returning. Mewtwo is also out of the question, as are the Melee clones. It's also a possibility that some characters who were starters in Brawl will become unlockable in 4, much like Falcon and Ness from Melee to Brawl.

-Main control scheme will be Classic Controller, as the Wii U is not compatible with Gamecube tech. The tablet controller won't be for controlling characters, but there will be a use for it.

-Pokemon Trainer may get new pokemon. Another Pokemon Trainer character is "Highly unlikely"

-No new characters for "heavily populated" series, more focus will be put on series that need more characters. Star Fox series is "A notable exception" to the rule for some reason...

-No more Pikmin characters. Feels that Olimar is "suitable representation"

-No more F-Zero characters, as Falcon had to have a'lot of work done to become a character, and is the "face" of F-Zero. Having other characters would detract from this...

-No more Mother characters, as the series is still mainly a Japan exclusive. Lucas and Ness represent the major titles effectively.

-No more Donkey Kong characters, though Donkey Kong assist trophies are in high demand, and at least three new assist trophies are planned, including one from Diddy Kong Racing, which will be represented better in Smash 4.

-No more characters for the Yoshi and Wario series.

-No more Zelda characters; if Tingle were to become a character(NOT confirmed), he would get his own series icon and be the sole representative.

-No more Kirby characters.

-Kid Icarus will be receiving a major overhaul. Expect at least one new character, several assist trophies, and a new stage alongside the one from Brawl.

-For Metroid, there will be one new character added. One that fans requested, and was thought to be an impossible addition, but the team have found a way to add them to the game, though it won't be a perfect transition.

-Alternate costumes for characters other than Wario are "being looked into", still nothing concrete.

-No more Fire Emblem characters. Marth represents the old, while Ike represents the new. Fire Emblem is still going to recieve extra attention to other details however, including at least two new assist trophies.

-If a Third Party character has appeared in Smash, they are not likely to leave. In the case of Sonic, his reception was met positively, so SEGA has decided to give the development team free liberty to add him as a playable character. There won't be more than one character per company however. For example, if Capcom allowed the team to use both Ryu and Mega Man, they could only choose one.

-In addition to new stages, there will be a selection of classic stages from all 3 previous Smash titles. One in particular from the original was "missed dearly by the fans".

-Mario will incorporate a new move from the Galaxy series, and the Galaxy series will be represented proper in Smash 4. Galaxy wasen't represented in Brawl due to not having substantial content to work with, but now there is "plenty of content to derive from the Galaxy series, especially with two distinct titles".

Note that is is all tentaive and is subject to change. The game is not in actual development, these are merely ideas discussed by a board of nintendo employees and member of the development team. Kid Icarus is near completion and development will begin a few months after the release.</i>

Nintendo doesn't own the rights to anything Diddy Kong Racing related last I heard (EDIT: Besides, y'know, Diddy Kong), so that one throw-away detail alone completely invalidates that entire rumor for me.

Top Bottom