• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
That dude looks like a fat terrorist. Shave an drop 40 fat ass. You honestly can't curb your comments around a woman? No wonder you're a 40 year old fighting game enthusiast virgin.
Stay classy, this post has Aris Seal of Quality.

what does this even mean?

you're basically saying "Hey, record everything I saw for a few days, ill also sound like a mentally handicapped man-baby too!"
I doubt he will answer...

Barrett2

Pretty sure if I generalized thousands of people to the point that you are it would mean a long time out for me or anyone else in this forum. Wish I had a red username!

what does this even mean?

you're basically saying "Hey, record everything I saw for a few days, ill also sound like a mentally handicapped man-baby too!"

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think that's a fair assessment, she was playing along with it, laughing and playing it up. She humored him through that. That isn't to say that she was comfortable, but on the outside that isn't the case. Did he actually go up to her and smell her? I don't remember that, but it's fucking weird.
Her body language completely changes. There's a difference between 'laughing and playing it up' and being so uncomfortable that you can't react in a given environment.

D6AMIA6N

Oh come on. Isn't this post exactly what some posters are trying to say needs to go away from the community?

How is this different than what Aris was saying?

Maybe harsh, but based on other instances I've seen involving Aris, he appears to enjoy being a pervy creep around women. Karma is a bitch though, he'll get his I'm sure.

h3ro

Maybe harsh, but based on other instances I've seen involving Aris, he appears to enjoy being a pervy creep around women. Karma is a bitch though, he'll get his I'm sure.

What does that have to do with him being brown and having a beard though? You called him a terrorist. A TERRORIST.

ugh.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What does that have to do with him being brown and having a beard though? You called him a terrorist and that's a ridiculous thing to say.
As a brown bearded person i feel offended and i demand articles on Penny Arcade and Destructoid.

what did he (Aris) do at evo last year? I don't remember large portions of my time there :(
He fell in love with Kayo Police. He did some tastless remarks i guess...

sephi22

Nice for being seclusive. You don't have to be a member of the FGC to know this isn't okay. It's statements like these that paint the FGC as an unwelcoming clique; one that will never grow past that if attitudes like these persist.

If you were keeping up, you would know none of the FGC members are condoning it. Its about knowing the whole situation. People in this thread who aren't members of the community have already picked up torches and pitchforks, and its either 'you completely hate Aris and admit the FGC is a bunch of manbabies' or you get lynched. Any attempt to bring up information not covered in the articles is met with statements like 'Sure. Blame the victim.'

Even in the other thread, where most of us have known these people for a while, we were told not to jump to conclusions by long standing representatives of the community like Markman and Arturo Sanchez (both amazing dudes and Gaffers). Markman and the Fingercramp guys has even contacted Patrick Klepek and Patrick has supposedly agreed to amend the article based on inputs from these guys.

Then there are the guys who have worked on the show like Blurei (another Gaffer) who insist that there are a lot of things that happened behind the scenes that weren't shown on stream. These things include Aris apologizing, and Capcom supposedly dealing with the situation.

Also, there are no archives for the stream chat. The stream chat is important is because a lot of Aris' behavior was to entertain the stream chat. The stream chat is a vocal minority, but its easy to read the chat and think that the views of the stream monsters represent the views of everyone who's watching the stream. Aris is a douche, yes. He's a dick. But he isn't as big as a creep as the articles make him out to be.

Yet, I just know someone's going to quote that last line I just typed and going to say 'That's no defense, douchebag.'. People are angry. People want heads to roll. People don't want to understand the whole situation before dealing out the punishment.

That dude looks like a fat terrorist. Shave an drop 40 fat ass. You honestly can't curb your comments around a woman? No wonder you're a 40 year old fighting game enthusiast virgin.
So many stereotypes in 1 comment.

That dude looks like a fat terrorist.

RSQcC.gif

Actually I said he looks like a fat terrorist, which is a fact.

0RGwp.gif

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Shit talk should remain in the fighting game community, that's fine, but the sexual harassment should go.

Aris is a fucking joke.

The reason I haven't even wanted to put thoughts down to words here on GAF, is because I'm of the same mind of where Arturo has been with this whole thing. "People don't know enough about this to start making opinions up about it yet." Which makes sense to me, because I know big pieces to the puzzle are still missing.

Now if you guys want to keep discussing it(which people will), and form opinions on it, by all means, that's what GAF is for, but keep in mind you are dealing with a limited amount of resources.

My final thoughts though, Aris was in the wrong no matter what for what he did to her, but her handling of it all is not something I'm fully on board with either.

I'm not sure Arturo is exactly a neutral party on all this (Especially when it comes to the Jared/Haunts/Aris convo) so forgive me if when he says something I'm going to take it with a grain of salt.

Limited information or not, I'm not sure anything that could come out that would make the main point of this whole thing untrue: Aris did and said some fucked up shit, and Capcom left him on the show.

Maybe once everything comes out we can decide that she is clearly 14.8% responsible for the creepy shit Aris did so it's not quite so bad. I don't doubt that people within the community are currently constructing ways of trying to pin all this on her as we speak.

duckroll

Arguing whether Miranda was okay with what Aris was doing on the stream is not really the point either. Even if she was completely okay with it because she wanted to fit in and be "one of the guys" or whatever, it still speaks poorly to the sort of environment that Capcom is streaming to a public audience in showcasing what the fighting community is like. Someone watching the stream and who is considering going to the next major tournament might change their minds if they think that is normal and acceptable behavior to people who attend such events.

Aris is a terrible role model for anything, and I think Capcom really dropped the ball on this entire thing. If the FGC wants to find a real villain, I would say they should also look at how Capcom has run this entire reality show so far. Not exactly the most professional thing.

To be fair too, Miranda is not 100% innocent in all of this situation. It COMPLETELY sucks that Aris did what he did, no matter what egged him to do it, especially if that's something she is not familiar with. Not the harassment portion, but the overall trolls in streams/online, because Sherry Jenix a girl who is there also competing, did nothing to defend her really in an interview with Long Island Joe, where she was just saying she gets the same kind of shit and just has thick skin.

Sherry also said, that if she really had issues with Aris, she could have just gone up to him and been direct with him, but her problem was that she wasn't confrontational and so she said that is why Aris kept messing with her.

But back to the Miranda not being innocent portion, it should be noted that she threw a fellow contestant under the bus and purposely lost matches and not try, which fucked him over a chance for $25,000. Also, it's a slap in the face to all the other people who auditioned for the show, and they didn't get a chance to really compete, when she forfeits without even playing her matches the other day.

Unless you're presenting this as some sort of justification for what happened--in which case, I'll have some choice words--I don't see how this is relevant in the context of this thread at all.

zlatko

Banned
What does any of that have to do with the misogyny that was thrown at her?

It has to do with more of knowing the person who is on the receiving end of this misogyny.

This is a reality tv show going on with various events going on to help create an image for these people for us to go off of.

I brought it up, because the crap thrown at her by Aris(days before this elimination went down) should not have resulted in her being that disrespectful to the show, the people putting it together, where the $ came from, the people participating, and those who would have killed for her spot.

Sherry is on the show too. Has she gotten ton of sexual harassment from stream monsters there? Yes. Did she toss away $25K opportunity? No.

I have more respect for people who put their chin up, and stick through it.

Capcom was talking to her this whole time and trying to make ammends, Aris apologized(if more happened after that it's things we don't know about), and yet through all of this she is STILL THERE!

If it's bugging her so badly, and Aris was that over the line to her(which I agree he crossed the line for sure), then why didn't she go home?

I'm stepping out now from the thread. I tend to get rambly in replies when topics are this big and I have a lot of thoughts about it in my head.

Riposte

Hit the nail on the head, I can't read this stuff anymore.

Yeah.

I believe the best solution for everyone would be if someone like Patrick (who isn't douchey like Ben Kuchera) did a better article with more contributors. Also people not like Jared and more like Sabin, Max, or UltraDavid. Maybe actually paint a correct picture this time.

Aris could probably explain himself better since he basically took a few commonly understood sentiments in the community and dipped it with terms like "sexual harassment" and etc. He is not a man of tact or grace lol, in fact he is pretty extraordinary on how much he "does not give a fuck" which is why he is so entertaining to many people (he's basically a stand-up comedian). The end result wouldn't please a lot of people (he's probably been demonized beyond repair, deservedly so depending on your point of view), but it would at least be better then what these headlines imply. The real purpose of it wouldn't be so much to defend Aris, but explain the FGC better.

Sexual harassment isn't imperative to his vision of the FGC, but he is pretty clear that he doesn't want political correctness to be a driving force. That means you will probably get some form of sexism just like you might get some form of sexism when you hang out with your friends ("Wow look at that girl's ass"), at least with a bunch of young men anyway... which is most of the FGC. He doesn't want taboos (like saying rape casually, which really isn't a good example considering how common and non-sexual in use that is) nor does he want players to forget they are there to beat each other (which is why everyone hates you when you first walk into an arcade, you earn their respect by being skilled). At the end of the day he is basically saying "Competition first, kindness second" and "fuck political correctness, keep it raw", both of which might piss you off anyway. They are two popular concepts which you might see defended on NeoGAF sans "sexual harassment". Not going to say it doesn't lead to a male-centric restrictive environment in their rawest application (which isn't honestly the case, not by a long shot, at least today) and it doesn't help there are no top female players since top players command all of the respect (though stream monsters give no respect). At the same time I relate more to the side that says "lol #esports" and looks at the FGC as a bit of a marvel compared to what you see in "professional" sports.

Also I don't like that Starcraft players get treated like saints lol. Yeah, right.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Also, I want to point out that shit like this, the general behavior on XBL voice chat and other personal attacks on all kinds of social feeds need to be addressed by the companies involved, and this is a great opportunity to do so.

There are literally millions of gamers who are misrepresented by this, and they're not being treated right by the companies they throw money at. If this continues, then eventually, social feeds, online streams, voice chat and so forth will be a detriment. I mean, already, only the inflammatory kiddies are using voice chat on public games.

I feel like one of my main concerns regarding gaming isn't addressed at all: Dealing with people who are misrepresenting the culture I've been a part of for 25 years. This has been one of the key reasons why I haven't touched online gaming in the last 10 years (apart from CS).

It can't go on like this. Do something, for christ's sake. You're making money with assholes, where is your dignity?

vg260

Also, I want to point out that shit like this, the general behavior on XBL voice chat and other personal attacks on all kinds of social feeds need to be addressed by the companies involved, and this is a great opportunity to do so.

There are literally millions of gamers who are misrepresented by this, and they're not being treated right by the companies they throw money at. If this continues, then eventually, social feeds, online streams, voice chat and so forth will be a detriment. I mean, already, only the inflammatory kiddies are using voice chat on public games.

I feel like one of my main concerns regarding gaming isn't addressed at all: Dealing with people who are misrepresenting the culture I've been a part of for 25 years. This has been one of the key reasons why I haven't touched online gaming in the last 10 years (apart from CS).

It can't go on like this. Do something, for christ's sake. You're making money with assholes, where is your dignity?

YES! Many of my gripes as well.

Resilient

Wow, this thread...just because some people can take abuse doesn't mean everybody else should have to. Some really dumb things being said in this thread. That is the problem here. Aris thinks it's okay, so he says it. Even though it isn't. But he thinks it is, and that's enough for him to justify the shit that comes from his mouth.

Yeah, Sherry did fine, but she also didn't have her coach responding to stream monster requests or making her uncomfortable with his behavior.

It would have been way cooler for her to actually play rather than bowing out, but no one liked her odds, and her whole demeanor just oozed mental and physical exhaustion.

And pretty sure she didn't leave because she was under contract. Some of her deleted tweets said just that.

FatalT

Banned
Video game communities and misogynistic immaturity go hand-in-hand because of the audience. It's a sad fact but it isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Grow up (man)children!

Alucrid

Banned
Wow.
And these guys thought my comments make the FGC feel like an unwelcoming place. You make Amuhrica feel like an unwelcoming place, assuming that's where you're from.

wut? We're mainly talking about the American FGC here in the first place.

stupei

It has to do with more of knowing the person who is on the receiving end of this misogyny.

This is a reality tv show going on with various events going on to help create an image for these people for us to go off of.

I brought it up, because the crap thrown at her by Aris(days before this elimination went down) should not have resulted in her being that disrespectful to the show, the people putting it together, where the $ came from, the people participating, and those who would have killed for her spot.

Sherry is on the show too. Has she gotten ton of sexual harassment from stream monsters there? Yes. Did she toss away $25K opportunity? No.

Capcom was talking to her this whole time and trying to make ammends, Aris apologized(if more happened after that it's things we don't know about), and yet through all of this she is STILL THERE!

What the fuck is this shit?

If it's bugging her so badly, and Aris was that over the line to her(which I agree he crossed the line for sure), then why didn't she go home?

I'm stepping out now from the thread. I tend to get rambly in replies when topics are this big and I have a lot of thoughts about it in my head.

She explicitly says in one of her tweets quoted in the articles that she is required by her contract to stay for a certain number of days. If she is obligated to stay in an environment in which she is uncomfortable how is it worthy of more respectful to just paste on a smile and play along? That is seriously mind boggling logic, dude.

Kusagari

She said she had to stay on the show for a certain number of days because of the contract. And who are you to decide how much she should have to stick through when there's so much pressure just with the show while at the same time she's having her own team leader harassing her?

Also was Sherry harassed by Aris? I doubt that it's the steam monsters that made her want to leave.

ElFly

If you were keeping up, you would know none of the FGC members are condoning it. Its about knowing the whole situation. People in this thread who aren't members of the community have already picked up torches and pitchforks, and its either 'you completely hate Aris and admit the FGC is a bunch of manbabies' or you get lynched. Any attempt to bring up information not covered in the articles is met with statements like 'Sure. Blame the victim.'

Even in the other thread, where most of us have known these people for a while, we were told not to jump to conclusions by long standing representatives of the community like Markman and Arturo Sanchez (both amazing dudes and Gaffers). Markman and the Fingercramp guys has even contacted Patrick Klepek and Patrick has supposedly agreed to amend the article based on inputs from these guys.

Then there are the guys who have worked on the show like Blurei (another Gaffer) who insist that there are a lot of things that happened behind the scenes that weren't shown on stream. These things include Aris apologizing, and Capcom supposedly dealing with the situation.

What is the FGC doing about the main, actual problem, of sexual harassment in the community.

Cause it seems that everyone in it is more worried about correcting that people were yelling "bitch" at phoenix on the giant bomb article. Tons of energy devoted to the image, none devoted to the cause.

Row

Banned
Yeah.

I believe the best solution for everyone would be if someone like Patrick (who isn't douchey like Ben Kuchera) did a better article with more contributors. Also people not like Jared and more like Sabin, Max, or UltraDavid. Maybe actually paint a correct picture this time.

Yea, that's definitely a more accurate picture of the community, lol

rukland

Also, there are no archives for the stream chat. The stream chat is important is because a lot of Aris' behavior was to entertain the stream chat. The stream chat is a vocal minority, but its easy to read the chat and think that the views of the stream monsters represent the views of everyone who's watching the stream. Aris is a douche, yes. He's a dick. But he isn't as big as a creep as the articles make him out to be.

After stepping away from this thread for a bit to read around many places including the mega thread. The above really is important here, yeah Aris was out of line but (and I am ready for the hate) factoring in the stream chat, which I know we don't have, it sheds a lot of lite onto the whole issue.

While I did not see this as it happened I have watched plenty of streams in the past and still do when I find time. I know what chat is like and I know at times they can goad just about anyone into reacting in a way that is plain dumb.

Is what Aris did wrong? Sure 100% and it should really not happen. But the fact is it did and it was not like he just started doing it on a whim. The best of us can sometimes get caught up in things and trust me from seeing stream chat in action what went down is pretty mild compared to what could have.

So sure we can look at Aris as one person and say his actions were not appropriate but jumping to the conclusion that his actions represent the whole FGC is not a leap anyone should take.

I respectfully apologize if any of my earlier posts where lacking this same thought. It was a knee jerk reaction before doing my research.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

In one post, you've completely undermined FGC-GAF's unanimous stance on the matter. She was on contract to stay. Read?

Imm0rt4l

Arguing whether Miranda was okay with what Aris was doing on the stream is not really the point either. Even if she was completely okay with it because she wanted to fit in and be "one of the guys" or whatever, it still speaks poorly to the sort of environment that Capcom is streaming to a public audience in showcasing what the fighting community is like. Someone watching the stream and who is considering going to the next major tournament might change their minds if they think that is normal and acceptable behavior to people who attend such events.

Aris is a terrible role model for anything, and I think Capcom really dropped the ball on this entire thing. If the FGC wants to find a real villain, I would say they should also look at how Capcom has run this entire reality show so far. Not exactly the most professional thing.

I agree, they could have been far more professional, but I guess that would make it less raw.

https://twitter.com/#!/MardenBlake/status/174373077000536065

I think capcom could have made it professional while still appealing to the fighting game community. For example EVO staff conducts itself in a very technical matter, whereas regular weekly streams from the likes of the big two are more color commentary.

Na man.

MvC2 player.

LOL

zlatko

Banned
What the fuck is this shit?

She explicitly says in one of her tweets quoted in the articles that she is required by her contract to stay for a certain number of days. If she is obligated to stay in an environment in which she is uncomfortable how is it worthy of more respectful to just paste on a smile and play along? That is seriously mind boggling logic, dude.

Sorry, I didn't have knowledge of deleted tweets. Which again, echos why I was saying I didn't want to comment on this topic at all, because bits and pieces of the puzzle are missing. These pieces not missing obviously, but are deleted to be available for all curious.

And yes, Da fuck is this shit is that I have more respect for females like BurnYourBra and Sherry for being in the community and taking the bull shit in a stride. Females aren't the only one getting the same kind of dumb treatment either. Guys like Marn get it too. Does it make it right? No of course not, but I'm not going to preach change, because I don't feel its my place to do so. If someone was sexually harassing ME at an event I won to get into for $25,000, then I would first try to squash it with that person and say if you keep this shit up, then I'm talking to Capcom and getting you booted off because this is unacceptable.

Again, what he did to her 100% not cool. Her handling of the situation though? Not the best.

Again, unless you're posting this to try to justify the harassment, it doesn't seem relevant. Maybe she's immature and thin-skinned, maybe she really did screw over a teammate, I don't know, but that doesn't mean she deserved it.

And I'll note your simultaneously arguing that it would be more worthy of respect if "put her chin up and stuck through it", and that she isn't really bothered by it because she didn't leave early. So which is it, should she leave early or shouldn't she? (Not that it matters she's bound by contract of course.)

duckroll

Does anyone know why Capcom is trying to run a "reality show" without representing the reality then? If they really want to go with a reality show format, those sort of things seem like what you are expected to show to the audience, since it is as much about the interactions between the participants as well as the competition itself. Does Capcom just suck?

Well... there are people attacking the entire community instead of one person.

There's something to be said for people who don't want to throw him under the bus and defend him, but also something to said for those of us who aren't quite comfortable with being considered giant asshole sexual predators by association.

I agree that this is a problem that needs to be addressed and the rules of basic human interaction should apply, but... you know. Painting with broad brushes isn't a solution to the problem either.

Plus, homophobia and misogyny still seem to be problems in gaming as a whole, not just one community. We all need to work on stamping it out, yeah?

Just my two cents.

ok, there are always people attacking entire communities, but where are these people that you speak of in this thread?

Does anyone know why Capcom is trying to run a "reality show" without representing the reality then? If they really want to go with a reality show format, those sort of things seem like what you are expected to show to the audience, since it is as much about the interactions between the participants as well as the competition itself. Does Capcom just suck?

gotta save something for the Bluray and DVD Extras!

And yes, Da fuck is this shit is that I have more respect for females like BurnYourBra and Sherry for being in the community and taking the bull shit in a stride. Females aren't the only one getting the same kind of dumb treatment either. Guys like Marn get it too. Does it make it right?

MARN DESERVES EVERYTHING HE GETS~! :p

But in all seriousness, there are some parallels there, but there's a difference between Marn getting trolled (which, while amusing, does suck if it gets too out of hand), to this (which is unacceptable in all social norms).

Does it make it right? No of course not, but I'm not going to preach change, because I don't feel its my place to do so.

If everyone thought that way, nothing would ever change.

If you don't want to make it your fight, fine, but some of us feel compelled to fight misogyny and sexual harassment because it needs to be stamped out.

Top Bottom