• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crow thread: Elon Musk has owned Twitter for one year now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toons

I'm not quite sure how Elon's actions reflect badly on Twitter, but somehow the Presidents actions don't reflect badly on the University, and by extension the students.

I never said it was one or the other.

Also are we talking about POTUS or the president of the given university here? If the latter, his/her words do reflect bad on the university. I dont even know they entered the conversation.

Actually it's worse because Twitter is just a bunch of random people who own all the content themselves, while a university literally exists to teach values and shape a students worldview.

That's not what a university is for, not solely.

Im not calling out random Twitter users, nor am I calling out any students. im calling out Elon himself, and his actions on his account, and his standards of regulation for the content he allows on his platform.

It is laughable to think that the comments of the Presidents are isolated to just them. That permeates throughout the entire institution - just like Elon is boosting racists or whatever the hell the argument is, her behavior boosts and courts students, teachers, and administrators that believe the exact same thing, likely because they are taught to believe the same thing.

You are not even being specific about what school you are referring to, and I haven't followed any of their claims closely, but I still do not see how this is anything other than deflection.

The fact that the presidents can't even tell CONGRESS that genocide is bad shows that their worldview is so ingrained into their every day life that they didn't even consider what they were saying to be out of the ordinary. And these are the people in charge of educating the students.

Im quite confident any students currently attending are allowed to have their own opinions that divulge from those of rhe faculty, and Im also quite sure that most of them already had formed an opinion on it before a president made a claim. I could be wrong about that, but that still doesn't change what I'm saying here about Elon. Universities presidents did not educate their faculty, most of their faculty are all grown adults who had their own alma mater and formed their opinions themselves. Elon Musk is not a collective, and neither is his control of Twitter policy. Thats solely him, for when he wants it to be. But this is getting well off the subject at this point.

There is no absolving Elon Musk of responsibility for the state of his site snd the content he allows on it.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

I never said it was one or the other.

Also are we talking about POTUS or the president of the given university here? If the latter, his/her words do reflect bad on the university. I dont even know they entered the conversation.

That's not what a university is for, not solely.

Im not calling out random Twitter users, nor am I calling out any students. im calling out Elon himself, and his actions on his account, and his standards of regulation for the content he allows on his platform.

You are not even being specific about what school you are referring to, and I haven't followed any of their claims closely, but I still do not see how this is anything other than deflection.
Ok yeah sorry I wasn't clear. By presidents I meant specifically the three university presidents (MIT, Harvard, Penn) brought before Congress, though frankly this can be expanded to pretty much every single university because they are all the same. I actually didn't realize just how similar the two situations were when I started this because, by the way, the hearing was literally to have them explain what they are doing to combat antisemitism on their campuses (sounds awfully similar to something one would ask Musk about Twitter). They had zero good answers for any questions, including refusing to say genocide violates their code of conduct. They are doing an exceptionally bad job regulating the antisemitic content on their platform, which just happens to be a university campus.

No matter what role you think the university presidents have in the day to day education and social development, they absolutely have full responsibility for the campus environment. Which I think would include providing an environment for students to learn without worrying about other students protesting for their genocide, but maybe I am way off base.

Also I don't disagree about Musk's responsibility, he has one or he doesn't. I am just saying that companies and people are being disingenuous with their outrage against him and selectively deciding when to care about their virtues. If they actually cared about what they say they care about it would be far more than just Twitter they are going away from, but they don't actually care about antisemitism or anything else. They should stop being mealy-mouthed and just say they dont like Musk, and dont like platforms that are less regulated, because that is what they mean. Stop cowering behind fake virtue.

Sonik

Unbanning Alex Jones will definitely bring advertisers back.

In case you didn't get the hint he doesn't give a flying fuck anymore. He didn't buy Twitter to make money anyway, and neither did BlackRock and Vanguard when they used to own it and impose their own propaganda on it. The difference is that the latter did it through mass censorship while Musk is doing it through lack of it which says a lot, mostly about the shady Wall Street scum that control everything now

The fun thing about bringing Alex Jones back is there's no way for Musk not to be criticized by the exact same people. When he banned Alex Jones, Musk was said to be a hypocrite who selectively enforced his supposed beliefs regarding freedom of speech. If Jones is let back on, Musk will be the guy who platforms a bad and dangerous person. He'll be said to be doing the wrong thing no matter what he does.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
In case you didn't get the hint he doesn't give a flying fuck anymore. He didn't buy Twitter to make money anyway, and neither did BlackRock and Vanguard when they used to own it and impose their own propaganda on it. The difference is that the latter did it through mass censorship while Musk is doing it through lack of it which says a lot, mostly about the shady Wall Street scum that control everything now
That's nice and all, but that's not going to be much comfort when Twitter goes under financially. Which is already well under way given it's dramatic drop in value, Exodus of advertisers, his continued stupidity, and the MOUNTAIN of debt he saddled the company with.

Him "not giving a flying fuck" is just expediting the process at this point.

The fun thing about bringing Alex Jones back is there's no way for Musk not to be criticized by the exact same people. When he banned Alex Jones, Musk was said to be a hypocrite who selectively enforced his supposed beliefs regarding freedom of speech. If Jones is let back on, Musk will be the guy who platforms a bad and dangerous person. He'll be said to be doing the wrong thing no matter what he does.
He was doing the wrong thing before already. Now he is just taking it to a different level out of spite.

Last edited:

Irobot82

It is what it is. Twitter used to remind me of Neogaf before the split. You had to walk on egg shells and hope for the best. It's a lot more interesting now.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't believe that, and neither do plenty of other people.

I don't care what you believe, he's manifestly a bigot. I posted this earlier:

You can google up more anti-Semitism from him. He's pretty much an anti-Semitic machine these days. Again, stop trying to gaslight. It's embarrassing.

Sonik

That's nice and all, but that's not going to be much comfort when Twitter goes under financially. Which is already well under way given it's dramatic drop in value, Exodus of advertisers, his continued stupidity, and the MOUNTAIN of debt he saddled the company with.

Him "not giving a flying fuck" is just expediting the process at this point.

Twitter is a private company, he can keep it alive as much as he wants. You and Deaf can react with lols all you want (which is pretty much the definition of this btw) but the fact is that all corporate media exist now to spread propaganda and that most traditional media are zombie orgs losing money and being kept alive by billionaires to enforce their narrative. Your kind is just extremely bitter not because Musk is doing what Bezos and shady orgs like BlackRock have been doing for years now but because he's not enforcing the correct™ narrative

Nobody_Important

Twitter is a private company, he can keep it alive as much as he wants. You and Deaf can react with lols all you want (which is pretty much the definition of this btw) but the fact is that all corporate media exist now to spread propaganda and that most traditional media are zombie orgs losing money and being kept alive by billionaires to enforce their narrative. Your kind is just extremely bitter not because Musk is doing what Bezos and shady orgs like BlackRock have been doing for years now but because he's not enforcing the correct™ narrative
Yeah I'm just in angry tears over here as I watch Musk constantly make a fool of himself and destroy his business just like I predicted that he would. Mhm. Its you that sounds like the bitter one tbh given the second half of that post.

And yeah he can keep it afloat as long as he continues to sell off his stake in Tesla, but if you think Musk is going to bankrupt himself to save Twitter then you need to wake up. That ship will stay afloat only as long as he can keep the grift going. The company has lost at least half it's value and most of it's advertisers while being billions of dollars in debt. That's not a sustainable business model for anyone. Not even Musk.

And all of this could have been avoided if he had just shut the hell up, stay behind the scenes, and not signal boosted extremists. Twitter would still not be profitable, but he wouldn't have had the exodus of advertisers and the complete tanking in value of the company that already wasn't worth what he paid for it.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

So much for that then.

Its just his way of flipping the advertisers that left the bird and further establishing the childish "i DoN't cArE wHuT u ThUnK" plotline that he has established. He knows the ship is sinking so he is just deciding to go down with the ship while flipping everyone the bird. That way when Twitter inevitably fails due to no ones fault but his own so he can claim it was "The Man" and that he was always a free speech warrior until the end.

The dude is just a narcissist clown until the end. He always has to appear to end up on top even if its just for PR.

Last edited:
With zero context and is still somehow missing that the problem is HIM. If he had bought Twitter, done everything the EXACT SAME behind the scenes, and just you know.....shut the hell up.....advertisers would still be on Twitter.

Him constantly interacting with conspiracy nuts, bigots, and extremists in a very public manner as the owner of the platform is the problem. Not the platform itself. If Zuckerbot was on Instagram constantly signal boosting nutcases and extremists they would lose advertisers as well.

Musk is the #1 reason that X is losing advertisers.
I will forever blame Musk if Twitter fails, or is sold to anyone who then limits the beliefs and opinions that you can express on the platform, outside of what is being limited right now.

We disagree a lot, but I agree with just about every word here. When you know people are going to be coming after you with metaphoric guns blazing, you don't flatten the tires of your own car and hand those who want to destroy you more ammo for their guns.

Last edited:

Sonik

Yeah I'm just in angry tears over here as I watch Musk constantly make a fool of himself and destroy his business just like I predicted that he would. Mhm. Its you that sounds like the bitter one tbh given the second half of that post.

And yeah he can keep it afloat as long as he continues to sell off his stake in Tesla, but if you think Musk is going to bankrupt himself to save Twitter then you need to wake up. That ship will stay afloat only as long as he can keep the grift going. The company has lost at least half it's value and most of it's advertisers while being billions of dollars in debt. That's not a sustainable business model for anyone. Not even Musk.

And all of this could have been avoided if he had just shut the hell up, stay behind the scenes, and not signal boosted extremists. Twitter would still not be profitable, but he wouldn't have had the exodus of advertisers and the complete tanking in value of the company that already wasn't worth what he paid for it.

Even the most pessimistic predictions journoids could come up with they concluded that he'd lose 75 million from the boycott which is nothing for Musk so all the crap about bankruptcy or Musk abandoning twitter is just bullshit you and people like you made up in your minds to cope about twitter allowing wrongthink now

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Even the most pessimistic predictions journoids could come up with they concluded that he'd lose 75 million from the boycott which is nothing for Musk so all the crap about bankruptcy or Musk abandoning twitter is just bullshit you and people like you made up in your minds to cope about twitter allowing wrongthink now
You keep acting like Musk has infinite money. He doesn't. 75 million dollars is still 75 million dollars. That hurts any business. Especially one that has billions in debt and isn't making a profit.

You are under some kind of delusion that Musk is just going to personally bankroll Twitter forever and not have any issues despite VERY OBVIOUS problems with that scenario.

Sonik

You keep acting like Musk has infinite money. He doesn't. 75 million dollars is still 75 million dollars. That hurts any business. Especially one that has billions in debt and isn't making a profit.

You are under some kind of delusion that Musk is just going to personally bankroll Twitter forever and not have any issues despite VERY OBVIOUS problems with that scenario.

He wasted 44 billion for a zombie company propped up by BlackRock and Vanguard that used it to control society through mass censorship, I think he can afford 75 million too and that is if the doom and gloom scenarios are correct.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
He wasted 44 billion for a zombie company propped up by BlackRock and Vanguard that used it to control society through mass censorship, I think he can afford 75 million too and that is if the doom and gloom scenarios are correct.

Putting aside your beliefs that 2 companies controlled society, that $44Billion wasn't Musk's own money... They were loans. Money he STILL has to pay back and make good on.

Sonik

Putting aside your beliefs that 2 companies controlled society,

Looks like someone hasn't heard or pretends to never have heard of ESG programs shady Wall Street megacorps are enforcing on society that are pretty much social engineering on steroids. Or that BlackRock, Vanguard and State Street have their dirty hands on almost all social and traditional media, google, microsoft, the military industrial complex and so on

that $44Billion wasn't Musk's own money... They were loans. Money he STILL has to pay back and make good on.

No shit, they're always loans that's how billionaires work, still it's the equivalent of buying for them since he had to sell stock and leverage stuff for it. If they were "just" loans then billionares would buy whatever the fuck they wanted. This imaginary 75 million loss will also end up being loans, your argument means nothing

Last edited:

Toons

Right, the company that wants to run society sold off their biggest asset to a guy ideologically opposed to them and gave him free reign over it. Right that totally makes sense.

In fact, Musk have them every opportunity to back out of the thing, but the Twitter board trapped him and essentially forced a buyout. We know they didn't magically begin to think Twitter wasn't important anymore. These claims, already conspiratorial, don't even make sense beyond the most surface level observations.

As for Alex Jones, Musk reinstating him is a blatant PR move. Ideological opinions aside, Jones is a dangerous, untrustworthy liar who has contributed to the extended suffering of families whose children were slaughtered at sandy hook. He is indirectly responsible for an additional death of one of the girls fathers who took his own life under the duress.

He is the lowest scum imaginable, not simply a provocateur grifter, but a vile, greedy individual who should be shunned by society. Musk shouldn't even consider reinstating him, but again this is a PR stunt. A desperate one at that.

I genuinely wish this was true, but musk himself has said things like "it's going to kill the company" and then alluding to his assumption that there will be a massive backlash against the people and companies responsible for ending twitter. If he could keep it going on his own no matter what, I think he would have said that instead.

If it comes to it, I think the best move would be twitter moving to a text only format, unless you pay for video storage. That might be the only way he can keep it going. As with everything related to Musk and twitter, it will be interesting to see what happens. I still think he should have just kept his mouth shut and built a great platform for content creators.

Sonik

Right, the company that wants to run society sold off their biggest asset to a guy ideologically opposed to them and gave him free reign over it. Right that totally makes sense.

In fact, Musk have them every opportunity to back out of the thing, but the Twitter board trapped him and essentially forced a buyout. We know they didn't magically begin to think Twitter wasn't important anymore. These claims, already conspiratorial, don't even make sense beyond the most surface level observations.

As for Alex Jones, Musk reinstating him is a blatant PR move. Ideological opinions aside, Jones is a dangerous, untrustworthy liar who has contributed to the extended suffering of families whose children were slaughtered at sandy hook. He is indirectly responsible for an additional death of one of the girls fathers who took his own life under the duress.

He is the lowest scum imaginable, not simply a provocateur grifter, but a vile, greedy individual who should be shunned by society. Musk shouldn't even consider reinstating him, but again this is a PR stunt. A desperate one at that.

This dude doesn't even understand how the market works, this is so funny. Blackrock and Vanguard literally had no choice because if they rejected an offer that big they'd be sued to oblivion by their investors and after Musk was trying to leave they were still obligated to pursue that offer by any means necessary.

Sonik

I genuinely wish this was true, but musk himself has said things like "it's going to kill the company" and then alluding to his assumption that there will be a massive backlash against the people and companies responsible for ending twitter. If he could keep it going on his own no matter what, I think he would have said that instead.

If it comes to it, I think the best move would be twitter moving to a text only format, unless you pay for video storage. That might be the only way he can keep it going. As with everything related to Musk and twitter, it will be interesting to see what happens. I still think he should have just kept his mouth shut and built a great platform for content creators.

We'll see, Musk says a lot of stuff most of which is to manipulate both his customers and public opinion. Currently he's playing the victim to attract more people to his platform and screw over the likes of Disney so time will tell

Nobody_Important

Weird how "free speech" got warped into "celebrated for saying dumb ass shit"
Its not even just dumb stuff anymore. People throw racism, bigotry, prejudice, and criminal behavior under "free speech" these days it seems and then proceed to act shocked when they are banned from a site or suffer IRL consequences for their posts.

This needs to be pinned at the top of every single social media page until the end of time because these morons just don't seem to understand what the 1st Amendment actually is.

free_speech_2x.png

The single most evergreen comic I have ever seen in my life.

Last edited:
Its not even just dumb stuff anymore. People throw racism, bigotry, prejudice, and criminal behavior under "free speech" these days it seems and then proceed to act shocked when they are banned from a site or suffer IRL consequences for their posts.

This needs to be pinned at the top of every single social media page until the end of time because these morons just don't seem to understand what the 1st Amendment actually is.

free_speech_2x.png

30 years on, and this video is quite evergreen itself.

You strike me like the kind of guy who has a pretty high opinion of your opinion, if you understand what I'm getting at here.

And Ironically, that's exactly what our government did with Twitter.

Last edited:

dave_d

What if all this clusterfuck is some sort of 5D chess Musk is playing to lessen people reliance on social media?

Interested GIF by reactionseditor
Until I have information against it I'm going Occam's Razor. He probably thought he was going to make money buying it and tweaking it a bit and messed up. (The old saying "When you hear hooves think horses, not zebras unless you start seeing stripes.")

Rran

Semi-OT but every time I see that XKCD strip posted I can't help but marvel at how much it sucks. Five drawings of a stick figure under a wall of text does not make for a good comic. There's zero humor or artistry to it, it's just a Reddit post separated into panels. And like most Reddit posts, it takes a complex topic and flattens it down to the point where there's essentially no nuance at all, only a thick, smug haze.

Last edited:

Kings Field

free_speech_2x.png

When a company is taking government loans, tax breaks, bribes, etc from the government, it should fall under the first amendment if their base of operations is in the USA.

They’re utilizing tax payer money. They shouldn’t be classified as “private” company anymore.

Mistake

Walking on eggshells makes you think about your next step. And more people should think first before they talk shit.
You can also not associate with such people and control your own response in a way where them talking shit doesn't matter. But that would require at least one person to act like an adult

Last edited:

NickFire

Fun fact about the first sentence --> Twitter was signal boosting extremists long before Musk bought Twitter.

It is an interesting question whether if he had not bought it, would advertisers still be leaving Twitter now for the same reasons? I'd like to think they would be, but considering how fast free speech became fashionable again after 10/7/23 in some of the same bubbles that Twitter's old moderation policies aligned with, I'm not entirely convinced. Anyone know if these departing advertisers have cut ties with certain universities? Maybe prohibit them from using facilities for retreats, conferences, sporting events, etc.?

Sonik

Walking on eggshells makes you think about your next step. And more people should think first before they talk shit.

Walking on eggshells makes you dishonest and duplicitous, make you hide yourself from others and usually pretend that you too are virtuous because that's what the stifling authoritarian environment requires of you. Humans aren't perfect, they say stupid shit they don't mean when they get mad, they make mistakes, they have a weird sense of humor and so on, forcing them to hide themselves in fear of repercussions from a cult that denies reality doesn't solve anything, is not organic and at the end of the day makes people more contrarian and hateful, which it did

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The outcome so far it's better than I could have ever asked for!

The Currupted Twitter Empire has crumbled. Social Media has gone back to a nothing laughing stock. X is just a sounding board instead a kings proclamation. The craziess have broken up into their little groups again that no one takes seriously.

Whats not tolove about it all?

Toons

Semi-OT but every time I see that XKCD strip posted I can't help but marvel at how much it sucks. Five drawings of a stick figure under a wall of text does not make for a good comic. There's zero humor or artistry to it, it's just a Reddit post separated into panels. And like most Reddit posts, it takes a complex topic and flattens it down to the point where there's essentially no nuance at all, only a thick, smug haze.

The comic isn't meant to mesmerize with its artistic technique. Foing so would only muddy its real point.

That the topic it is covering is actually not all that nuanced, its just that alot of people don't understand the topic.

Free speech does not mean no one can tell you to leave or have you removed from the premises for what you say. It never has. If I go into a place of business I dont own, say a bunch of heinous, hateful crap and the owner wants me gone, guess what? They can call the cops and I will be removed.

The same goes for any site with a code of conduct or any game with a terms of service etc.

And besides, these so called free speech warriors now have a site that they think has no regulations(it doesn't, its just that those regulations are musks whims rather than anything consistent or concrete) only tend to use this platform to do what? Say hateful crap.

Why is it everyone crying about being silenced only ever uses the opportunity to speak, to speak the worst things they can speak?

Doomtrain

Everyone hates the idea of free speech when their opponents are speaking and then suddenly loves it again when they find their own opinions being stifled. Equating “free speech” to “hateful rhetoric” is one of the most disingenuous canards out there, and I can’t wait until it falls out of fashion so people can disagree like adults again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom