• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crowbcat - Gears 5 lacks weight and intensity

GymWolf

horizon-zero-dawn-2-1620x800.jpg

This thing is uglier than beating a father with an used sock.
I can understand how a girl making affectionate and lovely gestures can scare and disgust the shit out of you but you know, people still prefer that compared with this shit

5qedyis1w3rx.jpg

Last edited:
Despite the bugs and disconnected during campaign. It's not a bad game. It's mediocre. Gears 2 however... The best campaign in the series.

GymWolf

This console wars thing is so cringe.
Oh cmon, me and the worst actor from got are we just having some innocent fun to make the time go faster (i'm at work so i need some dostraction ) :messenger_beaming:

I don't give 2 shits about sony or microsoft really.

Last edited:

carsar

Yes, because your "observation" about 60fps being bad for sp games is something only a moron would say.

Maybe you have a problem with your eyes or something
What do you mean, "yes"? Do you have the knowledge about framerate in terms of motion resolution and retinal persistence? If so, Which framerate makes motion resolution of 1920p/sec?
My words about 30fps for cinematic experience are based on Crowbcat video, GeoW5 feels like another online game(fortnite, pubgt and other trash) and GeoW2 looks like heavy, meaty cinematic shooter at 30fps. And most of people agree with the video.
Second part - high framerate movies are unpopular. We all had watched Hobbit and 48fps has ruined cinematic feeling for many people. That is true and that is why we don't see much more 48-120fps films. YOu can argue "this is the game, not a movie". Nope, first of all, SP campaign is about immersive and cinematic feelings. Cinematic is the highest point the games can reach at this moment.
60, 120hz/fps (and only 480/1000hz can deliver livelike motion, if you don't know. So, BFI is the only way to see games really clear and sharp ) are better for simulators, competitive games, fightings e.t.c. But for single player campaign would be better to give a choice "30fps with 2 time better graphics" or "60fps and 2 time worse graphics"

GymWolf

Shitty enemy reaction or weightless movement and animation have nothing to do with 30 or 60 frames...
Max payne 3 on pc at 60 frame still has more weight compared with a lot of 30 frames shooter.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
saying uncharted 4 looks better then gears 5 is just flat out bs
it WAS a great looking game when it came out.
But gears 5 clearly is the winner in modeling&textures.

Maybe last of us 2 will take it back but for now gears 5 is the bees knees

DanielsM

Banned
This thing is uglier than beating a father with an used sock.

For open world it (HZD) looks pretty good to great, I had problems art design of the cities/towns/costums/etc, but its still a pretty game for the most part. RDR2 is very nice as well, I mean its a very unique and hand crafted world for sure, much more unique detail, but I thought the image quality is a little soft. Days Gone for open world looks outstanding, although there is some performance issues riding fast on the bike. Days Gone to me is the best looking open world game for me as far as image quality, although I haven't played the The Witcher 3.

If I were to guess, the image quality of GoW5 is similar to Days Gone as they are both using UE, although I don't know if GoW5 has all the open world bells and whistles like fulll day/night cycle, weather patterns, weather accumulation. etc. We're kind of comparing apples to oranges to an extent though.

I would say I am most impressed with Days Gone than HZD... in some areas by quite a lot.... performance is another story though.... HDZ runs very well, imo, Days Gone definitely struggles with the fast bikes..

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

And there it is...…....

And yet, I'm the guy who has an agenda. I chased Dark10x out, I'm the liar....We even have Pawel in multiple threads making every tech thread a campaign against me, when all I did was give my tech impressions on the game......A game which I'm playing btw. The thing about DF, is for a while now, they say things where the video cues show otherwise.....I've seen DF videos where they say it's a smooth 30fps, then in that same second we see massive dips with tearing....

As for Gears in particular, when DF said that those reflections in the mirror looked good, I balked.....Then as I was saying before, probably the part that took me aback most in the DF video is when Dark10x said SSS is used and showed Baird's ear which has no light passing through and nobody seemed to say anything....Go back to that DF thread, I asked what SSS is DF talking about, there's none there in that scene he zoomed in on baird's ear and skin. I spoke of the dialed back physics way before these youtube videos surfaced, people said I was hating on Gears and negative. I spoke of animations and character models, in what world do these match the best out there, with a lack of SSS. proper lighting and ATD. A character is also wet clothing. proper cloth materials, such materials blowing in the wind takes more resources and requires more intricate detail, the character's physics and animations against objects. grass, snow, traversal, verticality.......There's alot Drake interacts with on various levels in the 3D space. in various weather conditions, with good physics. There's a billion more objects Drake has to interact with both aerial and grounded and ND has to ensure everything looks good and realistic across camera pans...….Don't even get me started on animations which is more in-depth and varied than anything in Gears since UC1...…..People should also remember that putting armor on Gears means you can easily cheat with getting wet and mimicking wet cloth etc... and several physics related interactions with clothing......As I said I won't say more on animation, should be clear enough....

Before those videos debuted, I spoke of the way things just disappear, like those blue ice cones and how they broke in non-dynamic ways and (poof) houdini'd out......I spoke of the repeated terrain in the open hub, all those copy pasted iced conifers, the bad looking textures on mountain rocks in the sled sections......I especially spoke of dialed back physics in many threads, that was so clear to see, that took a massive hit......I was saying, are people really not seeing these things? How can you say this is arguably the best looking game and not see these things, it's not even close...…..Even with ultra textures on. some aspects of the world look sparsely-detailed, foreground and background.....When Kait is walking in the snow sections, you can see a much lower poly'd character when she pans her face sideways, even her hair takes a hit Shadows are worse, clearly, harder shadows everywhere, that's not dynamic or accurate...….I spoke of shadows being worse in one of the threads too......

Well I knew this would never be 4k native 60fps, it's not me hating the XBOX, the hardware just can't do it, but people were so adamant that it could be done......Here they have dialed so many effects and features back from PC and even further back on XBONEX with probably some mixture of low medium and high settings and it still can't keep a solid 60fps at sub 1800p dynamic resolution...….What's interesting is that Coalition pegged back everything they could to free up CPU resources and it still wasn't enough for 60fps locked...….Even then, in sections where there are a few enemies on screen in open hub camps, the framerate tanks, especially in the red desert open camps, it falls to the 40's there easily with tearing. They shifted lots of particle effects and PP to the GPU, but it wasn't enough...Whilst sledding, framerates takes a hit whilst approaching camps, the CPU would have melted if all those physics simulations were kept in, or perhaps the Coalition is just not as adept at offloading physics tasks to the GPGPU as ND.....

Call a spade a spade is my motif......If it's great say it's great, but don't go out of your way to make things that are worse appear better......….I rather suspect DF has a bunch of persons who will defend them no matter what, irrespective of said persons seeing that the words don't match the video or results......So they bank on that to thrive....Or perhaps said persons see DF's folly as I point it out, but just want to go against me "because reasons".....As for DF, as I said before. I have no issues with persons, just with the way people think they could fool you so easily, and insult the intelligence of fellow gamers...….You can't be that blatant about mis-representing tech achievements....

Yumi

"Lifeless" is a word that popped into mind when watching the Gears 5 footage in comparison. I remember Goldeneye in N64 having enemies react to where you hit them. A game can look great, but how it reacts to your actions as a player is more important in my opinion.

Reactions: TLZ

pr0cs

Yeah not a fan of aloy look compared with the real life model.

But she still kinda looks human,
Until she talks then she's a robotic mess. HZD is a fun game but the character interaction / animation is terrible. Luckily the enemy AI makes up for a lot of issues

Butz

Banned
lol

The funny thing is that you are serious.

You just have to accept that Gears 5 is graphically better than Uncharted 4 while at the same time doubling it in resolution and fps. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One are shitty hardware, so at the end of the day depends on the sacrifices and the quality of the work the developers do, and oh boy, The Coalition have delivered a freaking gem of a game that already beats the Sony exclusives while also making less sacrifices that those Sony exclusives do (60 fps, almost double the resolution, the best implementation of HDR to date, espectacular image quality...).

It's okay, you just have to wait till The Last Of Us II.

oNglDq4.jpg

Cdqr3rY.jpg

Interior in Gears vs Interior in Assassins Creed Unity

GymWolf

Until she talks then she's a robotic mess. HZD is a fun game but the character interaction / animation is terrible. Luckily the enemy AI makes up for a lot of issues
the animation in that game are hit and miss, most of the time they are robotic but sometimes they are good, especially in some npc, mostly during cutscenes.

have you played frozen wild dlc? the camera work and digital acting is improved by quite a lot.

also horizon is a big open world, you don't really have great acting in big open world except rdr2 and some other title.

Last edited:

adversarial

The crappier animations and the lack of feedback in the guns has nothing to do with the framerate.

I haven't played a Gears game in years, but this is so fucking disappointing.

The 'lancer' feels like it kicks less than a fuckin' paintball gun - for a game all about ultra brutal everything, this shit is unfortunate.

Butz

Banned
z9Veu9y.jpg

5RtFtCU.jpg

Reflection in Gears vs Reflection in Control
Reminder that John called the reflection in Gears good looking

Butz

Banned
mirror's reflections are common problem of ssr, And xox hardware has not enough performance for doubling scenes.
Yeah I know it's a problem and looks like trash, that's why it's funny that they call that reflection good looking when Control came out two weeks ago

Wall of text

I honestly understand where you are coming from and your frustration. I'm an Xbox guy and currently enjoying Gears 5 multi, but it's not like you or other people pointing out how games have regressed in graphical or interactive detail is unreasonable. It's there to see and rather obvious. And yes, it does takeaway from the experience.

carsar

Yeah I know it's a problem and looks like trash, that's why it's funny that they call that reflection good looking when Control came out two weeks ago
because current gen barely handles SSR, not even true ray tracing.
GoW4 has no ssr, HZD has pretty bad ssr.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Funny how when a Xbox exclusive releases a single negative review warrants a freaking own thread...

With a Sony exclusive game people would never do this on NeoGAF

Xbox guys always play victim.

Don't remember Spider-Man threads about the the puddle and downgrades?

Horizon Zero Dawn downgrade threads?

Dory16

Banned
Wow. Digital Foundry loved an Xbox game, GamingBolt said it was one of the best looking this gen and the mother of all trolling threads kicks off on GAF.
I genuinely own both consoles (Pro and X) and the fact that I felt the need to upload a picture to prove it heavily supports the point that I'm about to make.
Threads like this reflect poorly on the type of community that GAF is. It was custom made to attract all the most immature anti xbox trolls as well as trigger the microsoft defense force and the mods could have anticipated it.

Sony's first person games are essential to gaming. We all know it here without exception. And their venture into VR this generation lowered the access barrier to a technology which I have to admit, despite being far from perfect, has tickled some gamer joy receptors that I didn't know I had.
Microsoft's dedication to using its treasure chest to develop a credible and probably ultimately superior competition to the unorganic and soulless enterprise that I predict Stadia will be, is something that no other "traditional" gaming company was in position to do. Both Sony and Nintendo should be thankful to them, let alone the players of true games that we can own and cherish in the conventional sense. Xbox finally releasing some great first party games is good for the industry. I have owned the X since day one and I can attest of how much those have been missing but thanks to Game pass and the acquisition of a plethora proven studios, the future looks promising again on that platform.

I root for all consoles because I root for gaming. As a matter of fact I root for good games no matter where they are released. I am even about to get a Nintendo platform for the first time in my life when the Lite releases. Can't wait to see what all that Breath of the wild and Kart 8 hype has been about.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Weird choice of screenshots.

IMG-20190905-145919.jpg

IMG-20190905-150133.jpg

This are literal photos of the game ingame, and it looks clearly superior to Uncharted 4.

gears-of-war-4-4k-shot-01_9q9b.1200.jpg

This is how the characters models look in cutscenes. Again, clearly superior to Uncharted 4.

"clearly"

No.

Both look great.

However, Uncharted is far more consistent with their character models.

Marcus character model looks great, but when you look at Kait's model, it's not up to par with Uncharted or even Marcus' character model.

NahaNago

after watching that video I can see what he means by weight. The response from things getting hit lacks oomph. I don't think it would make it a bad game but it will change your enjoyment of using the weapons if you don't feel like they are appropriatley powerful enough.

demigod

Really tempted of posting this thing on the df topic on era and get a glorious ban :ROFLMAO:

I dare you, lol. You will surely get a ban. I’m checking that thread where dark10x is crying about ps fans bashing his work. Y’all should checkout all the dicksucking towards him over there. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gears 1-5 has plenty of intensity, the bugs are disappointing but it can be patched. Microsoft fans should be running towards this game, and do yourself a favor and play the first 4 Gears games. Series is a MASSIVE success.

0fps are the best choice for competive, but for great single player experience I prefer GeoW 5 at true 4k 30fps with good ssr reflections, foliage with ambien occlusion and alot of high sampled motion blur.
So, e3 2018 looks great for me and I hope we will have option "4k 30fps true nextgen graphics" for ps5.
I can't agree with you, games should be targeting 60fps, even on current gen hardware... I love eye candy as much as you, but I prefer it when a game is really smooth... plenty of games feel "heavy" at 60fps (Doom 2016, Gears of War, etc. all have pretty hard hitting moments).

sdrawkcab

Banned
And The Award for Nitpicker of the Year goes to... *drumroll please*

This is absolutely ridiculous, but I'm not surprised to see this kind of trivial (yes, TRIVIAL) vitriol on Gaf. Four pages, really? Four pages of this?!?

Why? Because Gears isn't as "weighty" as previous titles. Really?!? All of a sudden it's a terrible game, because it isn't as "weighty"? And then there's the Well-it's-still-a-great-game-but-these-are-all-valid-points-and-people-need-to-admit-it crowd. Yeah, sure... Valid to who? You? Cool, go on your soapbox outside and shout it from the top of your lungs!

You people have absolutely nothing else better to do?

And keep this in mind, ALL the nitpicking (valid or not, it's still NITPICKING) in the world won't take away from how great (yes, GREAT) this game is.

And, if we really want to be fair, we can go through Gears 1 to 4, and find myriad of things to nitpick at. In fact, we can do this for every game under the sun, because everyone's opinion matters to them. But guess what, general consensus also matters, and perhaps, it matters more. Especially when your arguments or points are as trivial as this.

I can't wait until The Last Of Us Part 2 comes out, so someone with an ego, opinion and Internet connection can go nitpicking about that too. But, we probably won't find a lot of that here, seeing that TLOU is a Sony title, and well...this is Neogaf. But carry on...

Last edited:

carsar

I can't agree with you, games should be targeting 60fps, even on current gen hardware... I love eye candy as much as you, but I prefer it when a game is really smooth... plenty of games feel "heavy" at 60fps (Doom 2016, Gears of War, etc. all have pretty hard hitting moments).
Are you one of 16% people who disliked video, and who prefer Gow5 speedup animation and weightless feeling? Okay.
But, you try to restrict the right of people who don't want 60fps with much worse graphics.
a4NA0WC.jpg

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Neo Member
Stuff like this just goes to show the difference between fidelity and detail. Gears 1-3 have low fidelity(720p, 30fps, somewhat muddy textures) but great attention to detail and so even 13 years later the OG games have their own unique and (arguably) pleasant look. On the other hand you have Gears 5 which has a great level of fidelity(1080p-4k resolution, 60fps, sharp detailed textures) but lacks so many little artistic flourishes the previous games had that it ends up looking generic, bland and sort of of outdated right from the get go.

Riven326

Banned
Things can have color and you can have flowers and bright leaves, etc. and still have a dark game.... Gears of War 1 and 2 basically nailed the destroyed beauty they were going for. Since then, to me they went into a very generic art design direction. Gears of War was actually more going towards the semi-horror game during development.

Something very similar happened with Mass Effect. The first game had this wonderful 70's sci fi visual style. The sequels sort of lost that. They looked good, just like gears 5 still looks good. But something was certainly lost along the way.

carsar

Ah yes we dont have high fps movies so why should we have high fps games
I see I am dealing with an expert here
You see what you want to see, not the real things.
Because I've clearly sayed "60, 120hz/fps are better for simulators, competitive games, fightings e.t.c. "
But you just don't see these words.

TLZ

Banned
nothing about this video is wrong. DF shilled hard for this game. Greatest pc port my ass, it's like these people never played RE5 or Devil May Cry.
While watching that video and hearing John speaking, he sounded like a robot reading from a script MS gave to him, in comparison to the other guy talking. I mean listening to him in his DF video sounded ok, but next to this guy, this video made him sound weird.

Yumi

And The Award for Nitpicker of the Year goes to... *drumroll please*

This is absolutely ridiculous, but I'm not surprised to see this kind of trivial (yes, TRIVIAL) vitriol on Gaf. Four pages, really? Four pages of this?!?

Why? Because Gears isn't as "weighty" as previous titles. Really?!? All of a sudden it's a terrible game, because it isn't as "weighty"? And then there's the Well-it's-still-a-great-game-but-these-are-all-valid-points-and-people-need-to-admit-it crowd. Yeah, sure... Valid to who? You? Cool, go on your soapbox outside and shout it from the top of your lungs!

You people have absolutely nothing else better to do?

And keep this in mind, ALL the nitpicking (valid or not, it's still NITPICKING) in the world won't take away from how great (yes, GREAT) this game is.

And, if we really want to be fair, we can go through Gears 1 to 4, and find myriad of things to nitpick at. In fact, we can do this for every game under the sun, because everyone's opinion matters to them. But guess what, general consensus also matters, and perhaps, it matters more. Especially when your arguments or points are as trivial as this.

I can't wait until The Last Of Us Part 2 comes out, so someone with an ego, opinion and Internet connection can go nitpicking about that too. But, we probably won't find a lot of that here, seeing that TLOU is a Sony title, and well...this is Neogaf. But carry on...
I think people are pretty happy with Gears and its reviewing well. The conversation in this thread seems to have veered into a general conversation about graphic/performance preference and comparison with a little artistic intent. Im enjoying it :D

sdrawkcab

Banned
I think people are pretty happy with Gears and its reviewing well. The conversation in this thread seems to have veered into a general conversation about graphic/performance preference and comparison with a little artistic intent. Im enjoying it :D
More power to ya.

Three

I'm also mad my local restaurants don't have the interior quality of the palace of versailles
That got a good laugh out of me though in all seriousness that gears 5 interior is god awful. Bullet holes that look like they're straight out of N64 goldeneye, light sources that cast shadows on bins in the wrong direction or no light at all and generally completely poor quality textures everywhere.
I'm starting to think they are saving the good stuff for raytracing and did a quick version here without accounting for the fact that might not be present, a bit like Control.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
i never thought i would say this but Gears 5 is actually a good game but the bugs are awful.

Why won't crowb adress the real issue here. ALL LOADING goes through their servers. Imagine dying and it taking 7min to load and then it crashes.
Taking 7 minutes to load after dying? I think your Xbox needs to go to the hospital.

Top Bottom