• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n (Wii) First screens ahahahahahahaha and the plot thickens...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
falcinator said:
Picked it up last night....

People at Game FAQ are saying it's a Fast and Furious port. Kinda looks it. The photos released have painted it a bit uglier than it really is. The frame rate hovers around 60fps as far as I can tell, but drops a bit here and there which kind of disappoints. Control is slippery as the series dictates. There is an overall lack of polish to the presentation, pretty barebones, that should have more appropriately placed this title at $20, but hey I guess Midway is in the business of making money huh?

Loadtimes can be excessive at over 10 seconds for each track. Only twelve of those it appears. Not much in the extra department, appears to be a straight port. Graphic quality is surprisingly decent fare for a Wii title, not embarrassing other than the odd shininess to the cars which I would imagine was in the arcade version as well. It feels just a bit too naked to be a full release and at this price, compared to Ghost Squad which locked in the price and home conversion PERFECTLY.
Thanks for taking one for the team, dude. I take it that the two hidden courses from the arcade version haven't been found yet. Any changes to the car lineup?

I was looking ACTUALLY forward to this game, as much as most people considered this a joke, I dig the ridiculous gameplay.

Ripped from Gamefaqs...

Toyota Supra
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Toyota Celica
Nissan 350Z
Nissan Skyline
Dodge Charger
Chevy Corvette

I have no clue myself, all car models are so covered with slippery shine, and are a bit blobby to begin with......so the point of them using licensed cars falls a bit moot.

And in typical Cruis'n Style gameplay, they all seem to pretty much handle the same.

Haven't found any hidden tracks.....like I said earlier, the presentation is the most embarrassing part of this game, aside from the load times.

The control comes off a bit slippery, but I assume that's just the Cruis'n way.

If they had locked the framerate.....it actually wouldn't come off half bad in regards to visuals, certainly for a Wii Racer. Could be the sharpest I've seen yet. It certainly looks slicker than Excite Truck, (not saying much), and while having a similar feel to that game, the gameplay sorely lacks in comparison.

A mixed bag, pretty much what everyone expected.....oddly enough, barring the visual disgust.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
falcinator said:
I was looking ACTUALLY forward to this game, as much as most people considered this a joke, I dig the ridiculous gameplay.

Ripped from Gamefaqs...

Toyota Supra
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Toyota Celica
Nissan 350Z
Nissan Skyline
Dodge Charger
Chevy Corvette

I have no clue myself, all car models are so covered with slippery shine, and are a bit blobby to begin with......so the point of them using licensed cars falls a bit moot.

And in typical Cruis'n Style gameplay, they all seem to pretty much handle the same.

Haven't found any hidden tracks.....like I said earlier, the presentation is the most embarrassing part of this game, aside from the load times.

The control comes off a bit slippery, but I assume that's just the Cruis'n way.

If they had locked the framerate.....it actually wouldn't come off half bad in regards to visuals, certainly for a Wii Racer. Could be the sharpest I've seen yet. It certainly looks slicker than Excite Truck, (not saying much), and while having a similar feel to that game, the gameplay sorely lacks in comparison.

A mixed bag, pretty much what everyone expected.....oddly enough, barring the visual disgust.
I also remember F&F Arcade having the Toyota MR2 Spyder, Nissan Silvia S14, Pontiac GTO, Pontiac Firebird, lookalikes of the Mercedes CLK and Ford Mustang, and I remember the copyright screen suggesting a Hummer H2. If the gameplay was fine, then it just needed more variety. A shame, really...

Exactly how are the controls slippery? Are they otherwise good?

Well the cars seem to slide very wide with little movement of the wii controller, I have yet to use the digital option for the directional pad. There are actually options to tighten up the controls, have yet to try those either as my initial playtest lasted maybe a half hour, and I was pretty sleepy due to fatigue, and well the excessive loading screens didn't help.

They seem to be accurate, it just feels as if the car is constantly on ice, literally.

It would be nice to see other Cruis'n games ported in a manner that this one has as they all seem to be older relics, and this version a fairly recent port. But, once again, the presentation is so lackluster it can be a bit offputting.

Just played some Geometry Wars Galaxies, and in comparison that title is much more grounded in production value for being kind of a budgety game.

Oh, BTW, in the credits they actually do refer to the team that developed F&F.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
falcinator said:
Well the cars seem to slide very wide with little movement of the wii controller, I have yet to use the digital option for the directional pad. There are actually options to tighten up the controls, have yet to try those either as my initial playtest lasted maybe a half hour, and I was pretty sleepy due to fatigue, and well the excessive loading screens didn't help.

They seem to be accurate, it just feels as if the car is constantly on ice, literally.

It would be nice to see other Cruis'n games ported in a manner that this one has as they all seem to be older relics, and this version a fairly recent port. But, once again, the presentation is so lackluster it can be a bit offputting.

Just played some Geometry Wars Galaxies, and in comparison that title is much more grounded in production value for being kind of a budgety game.

Oh, BTW, in the credits they actually do refer to the team that developed F&F.
Heh, thanks. Can you take some screenshots and post 'em?

If I made a Cruis'n game, it would...

Include all of the tracks from USA, World and Exotica, with updated graphics that actually look decent on the Wii without any snide comments from critics.
A drifting model more like the recent Ridge Racer titles- wheelies, popping up on the side wheels and Car Vaults should stay.
A challenge mode, like the one from Out Run 2006: Coast 2 Coast.
Enemy AI that isn't pull-your-hair-out frustrating.
Licensed cars- why not?

What would you put in?

Ranger X

Wokay. The game really sounds like a huge pile of dog shit.

Cruisin' USA controls aren't "sliddy at all even if you can powerslide.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Someone over at GameFAQS by the name of "Timberoth" claims to have found two cheat codes- one to unlock all the tracks and another to unlock all the cars. I'd link, but that site is wordfiltered now due to the GS boycott, so I'll copy and paste.
I was playing Cruis'n yesterday and I stumbled upon, possibly the first motion based cheat codes. I hope you enjoy them.

Here's how to do em:

Definition of “neutral position” – Hold the Wiimote level with both hands, parallel to the ground.

Note – Do not enter these codes too quickly or the system my miss some of the inputs. Allow for about a 1/2 second between each of the commands.

Unlock All Tracks
On the main menu screen follow these steps with the Wiimote held like a steering wheel with Wiimote’s pointer end in your left hand and the butt end in your right hand.

1) Position the Wiimote below the neutral position as if steering slightly to the left.
2) Press the “+” button to start the cheat code
3) Rotate the Wiimote clockwise pass the neutral position
4) Rotate the Wiimote counter-clockwise pass the neutral position
5) Rotate the Wiimote clockwise pass the neutral position
6) Rotate the Wiimote counter-clockwise pass the neutral position and keep it pointing there while you input the following button commands
7) Press A
8) Press B
9) Press A
10) Rotate the Wiimote clockwise pass the neutral position
11) Rotate the Wiimote counter-clockwise pass the neutral position
12) Rotate the Wiimote clockwise pass the neutral position
13) Rotate the Wiimote counter-clockwise pass the neutral position
14) A fire works sound should be heard if you entered everything correctly and didn’t go too fast

If you entered the wrong input you should hear a slam sound and you’ll have to start all over again by pressing the + button and redoing all the steps

Unlock All Cars
On the main menu screen follow these steps with the Wiimote held like a steering wheel with Wiimote’s pointer end in your left hand and the butt end in your right hand.

1) Position the Wiimote above the neutral position as if steering slightly to the right
2) Press the “-“ button to get the cheat started
3) Press A
4) Press B
5) Press B
6) Press A
1) Rotate the Wiimote counter-clockwise pass the neutral position
2) Rotate the Wiimote clockwise pass the neutral position
7) Rotate the Wiimote counter-clockwise pass the neutral position
8) Press B
9) Press A
10) Press A
11) Press B
12) You should hear “Nice Ride” if you’ve entered everything correctly and didn’t go too fast

If you entered the wrong input you should hear a slam sound and you’ll have to start all over again by pressing the - button and redoing all the steps

Also note that you can start the cheats over by pressing either the “+” or “-“ button and then doing all the commands again.
I was playing with the buttons on the main menu to test out the button functions and I noticed that pressing the + and - buttons would sometimes cause a slamming sound to play for some reason. As I tried to figure out what was causing the slamming sound effect, I noticed that certain buttons and movements would not cause the slamming sound so I figure there must be some sort of pattern. After a long process of experimentation and button/movement combination elimination I figured out those two codes. I'm not sure if there are more, but I figured I'd post the two I found so far.

twinturbo2 said:
Heh, thanks. Can you take some screenshots and post 'em?

If I made a Cruis'n game, it would...

Include all of the tracks from USA, World and Exotica, with updated graphics that actually look decent on the Wii without any snide comments from critics.
A drifting model more like the recent Ridge Racer titles- wheelies, popping up on the side wheels and Car Vaults should stay.
A challenge mode, like the one from Out Run 2006: Coast 2 Coast.
Enemy AI that isn't pull-your-hair-out frustrating.
Licensed cars- why not?

What would you put in?

Sounds a bit like you're asking for Rush 2049. :)

Unfortunately, I've only read of rubberband type AI in regards to the computer drones.

I read about that code over there as well. An odd way of discovering that for sure.

I'll see what I can do as far as screenshots, but really the game "shines" in motion. If it had the FPS locked, it would really look kinda decent. I'll play more later, was just giving Marble Mania a whirl......! Fun game, too bad no widescreen support.

Does anyone here think that Nintendo could do a firmware upgrade that would allow for 720P...? I've never really seen that discussed anywhere before.

CTLance

falcinator said:
Does anyone here think that Nintendo could do a firmware upgrade that would allow for 720P...?
The ones that do usually get laughed out of the threads, and rightfully so. The Wii is not built with that in mind (e.g. framebuffer), and releasing a Wii HD with different hardware would be stupid, to put it politely. It's not feasible, at all. Expect HD support from Nintendo with their next(gen) console, at the earliest.

So... not gonna happen.

Edit: Wow, I sound like a condescending asshole. Sorry. Didn't mean it that way.

I'm not sure quite yet, as my two previous favorite games of this sort, Rush 2049 for the Dreamcast, and San Francisco Rush for the N64.....well, were not REALLY Cruis'n titles.

I'll have to play a bit more to determine whether I'd actually recommend this, a statement in and of itself I think.

falcinator said:
I'm not sure quite yet, as my two previous favorite games of this sort, Rush 2049 for the Dreamcast, and San Francisco Rush for the N64.....well, were not REALLY Cruis'n titles.

I'll have to play a bit more to determine whether I'd actually recommend this, a statement in and of itself I think.

Well, picked it up. Figured I just take one for the team as well. :)

Well after playing for about ohhhhh 45 minuntes, I'd say it definetly feels like a Crusin game. The game does look alright in motion, its no mario galaxy but the pretty fast framerate helps it out. Its not going to win any awards but its a fun little arcade racer that actually makes me feel nostlagic playing it.

falcinator said:

I wouldn't say Rush (1, 2, or 2049) and Cruis'n (any of the Cruis'n or F&TF games) have much of anything in common... Rush, particularly 2049, is way better, but that aside, they don't play similarly, control similarly, look similar... Cruis'n has always been about point-to-point races on roads with traffic where the traffic is usually a bigger obstacle than the other cars. It has very simplistic arcade-style gameplay. Rush is much more complex. The tracks are circuits, not point-to-point races. The environments have large side areas you can drive around in and numerous shortcuts and alternate routes, as opposed to Cruis'n's pretty much straight, linear paths with very few to no shortcuts or alternate routes. Rush has a tough, somewhat realistic (gravity aside), and unforgiving physics model. Cruis'n doesn't really have physics other than "when you hit something you spin out for a moment". Rush has better graphics too, though their styles are so different that they shouldn't really be directly compared... etc, etc. I just don't quite see why you're saying that they're so similar. The only real similiarity I can think of is that divisions of Midway made both games, though given that the two serieses were made by totally different divisions, and totally different development teams, that really doesn't mean much.

Oh yeah, and as I said earlier in this thread, I DID enjoy the N64 Cruis'n games. They're nowhere near as good as Rush, of course, but for simple arcade-style racing they do a fine job, and one that the Wii game clearly continues. Sure, it might not be long until you're mostly bored of the game because of the simplicity and lack of variety in the game design, but for simple, entertaining racing action, Cruis'n does reasonably well. The numerous locations the tracks are set in can be interesting, the avoid-the-traffic-focused gameplay works, multiplayer can be fun, each game had more stuff to unlock than the one before it... while they are certainly better in the arcades, I liked the Cruis'n games on N64. I have all three of them... though I did get several of them used (cheap, that is) and not for full price. The main drawback is just that the games aren't very long thanks to their arcade roots...

Well played through most of the whole game and its a crusin title through and through. Its got the crazy flips, the two wheel riding, nitro boosting, and silly jumps. Its nothing worth running out to pick up, but for a crusin fan (and I admit the series, when you think about it, is pretty damn lame in its ownright but for some reason just a guilty pleasure of mine and others apparently) I had fun with the game. It makes me feel like I'm playing an old arcade game... which is probably because it was an old arcade game... but yeah the digital girls that start the race at the begining just remind me of the silly days of gaming when digitized people were the latest and greatest craze. Find it for cheap and your a crusin fan? Pick it up. People might laugh at you, but you'll still have fun and thats all that matters right!?

12209729.gif

Gah, I just got word that Andy, one of the devs, wanted to thank me in being their 'defense' in regards to this game.

I thought he wouldn't be so... amused I posted such things here, much less that I actually post things and not just lurk.

I'll be awkward for me for sure the next time I go over to his place for a barbecue. Heck, I only know him because he was college buddies with my brother.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Golden Darkness said:
Gah, I just got word that Andy, one of the devs, wanted to thank me in being their 'defense' in regards to this game.

I thought he wouldn't be so... amused I posted such things here, much less that I actually post things and not just lurk.

I'll be awkward for me for sure the next time I go over to his place for a barbecue. Heck, I only know him because he was college buddies with my brother.
Hey, next time you see him tell him I have a few ideas about another Cruis'n game...

twinturbo2 said:
Hey, next time you see him tell him I have a few ideas about another Cruis'n game...

I think I said this before, but they really don't care what forum goers things, something to with the posters more or less bitchy nature when they are critical.

I don't know, that conversation has been a while.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Golden Darkness said:
I think I said this before, but they really don't care what forum goers things, something to with the posters more or less bitchy nature when they are critical.

I don't know, that conversation has been a while.
I'm not bitchy when I'm critical, I'm constructive! :D

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well played through most of the whole game and its a crusin title through and through. Its got the crazy flips, the two wheel riding, nitro boosting, and silly jumps. Its nothing worth running out to pick up, but for a crusin fan (and I admit the series, when you think about it, is pretty damn lame in its ownright but for some reason just a guilty pleasure of mine and others apparently) I had fun with the game. It makes me feel like I'm playing an old arcade game... which is probably because it was an old arcade game... but yeah the digital girls that start the race at the begining just remind me of the silly days of gaming when digitized people were the latest and greatest craze. Find it for cheap and your a crusin fan? Pick it up. People might laugh at you, but you'll still have fun and thats all that matters right!?

I'm going to wait for the other titles to hit Virtual Console.

hyonoid

do want:

3.0 Presentation
Pretty painful overall. Static images make up the interface complete with dated car models and effects. It's The Fast and the Furious minus the license; no more.

2.5 Graphics
Easily one of the worst offerings on Wii. Models are low poly, there are countless frame drops and glitches, tons of pop-in, and visuals stolen from first-gen GameCube.

3.0 Sound
The classically bad Midway VO is there – be it good, or bad – but is mixed with generic tunes and broken sound effects.

5.0 Gameplay
It's entirely dated overall, but the motion control is tight and responsive, and makes for some simple entertainment for a few tracks at least. Load times and tech issues kill it though.

1.0 Lasting Appeal
The circuit mode lasts about an hour, and when it's over there's little left to do. Skip this one.

Bad OVERALL

3.0 (out of 10 / not an average)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/840/840362p1.html

Lobster

Banned
Golden Darkness said:

Ask him why would he participate in developing such a shameful game even for PSP standards.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
hyonoid said:
do want:

3.0 Presentation
Pretty painful overall. Static images make up the interface complete with dated car models and effects. It's The Fast and the Furious minus the license; no more.

2.5 Graphics
Easily one of the worst offerings on Wii. Models are low poly, there are countless frame drops and glitches, tons of pop-in, and visuals stolen from first-gen GameCube.

3.0 Sound
The classically bad Midway VO is there – be it good, or bad – but is mixed with generic tunes and broken sound effects.

5.0 Gameplay
It's entirely dated overall, but the motion control is tight and responsive, and makes for some simple entertainment for a few tracks at least. Load times and tech issues kill it though.

1.0 Lasting Appeal
The circuit mode lasts about an hour, and when it's over there's little left to do. Skip this one.

Bad OVERALL

3.0 (out of 10 / not an average)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/840/840362p1.html
Youch. :-(

.hacked

Just played my cheap amazon copy. Ugh it is not a good game but I do think it is pretty cool because it is just so bad.

The digitized chicks at the beginning of the race has to be the best thing ever!!!!

Like gaming in the early 90s

The best part is how anytime you use a turbo boost or a "wheelie", the ability to see where you're going is obscured...and you're doing this 75% of the time.

dalin80

Banned
have heard rumour that a couple of the cars are 7k poly's

gt back on the psx cars were 4k with gt5's being 200k. even with the wii's weak hardware that just scream laziness.

you have to wonder if it annoys nintendo that so many poor 3rd party games are coming out and putting the system in a bad light or if they are just grateful for the extra money to count?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
dalin80 said:
have heard rumour that a couple of the cars are 7k poly's

gt back on the psx cars were 4k with gt5's being 200k. even with the wii's weak hardware that just scream laziness.

you have to wonder if it annoys nintendo that so many poor 3rd party games are coming out and putting the system in a bad light or if they are just grateful for the extra money to count?
If true, this applies to Midway...
smrt.jpg

>_<

Gagaman

[Nintex] said:
Damn, the vid on the IGN review page looks pretty awesome.
Exactly what I thought. Defiantly a rental now. It has that trashy, cheesy feel to it that's trademark Midway :lol

minus_273

Banned
CTLance said:
The ones that do usually get laughed out of the threads, and rightfully so. The Wii is not built with that in mind (e.g. framebuffer), and releasing a Wii HD with different hardware would be stupid, to put it politely. It's not feasible, at all. Expect HD support from Nintendo with their next(gen) console, at the earliest.

So... not gonna happen.

Edit: Wow, I sound like a condescending asshole. Sorry. Didn't mean it that way.

720p it is possible but hard as hell and would be 2D not 3D. I dont know that it is worth it for a 2D game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
minus_273 said:
720p it is possible but hard as hell and would be 2D not 3D. I dont know that it is worth it for a 2D game.

Most Wii games are dithered to fuck because they can't even fit 480i/p into the framebuffer at true color. How do you propose to framebuffer 720p in 3 megabytes?

Top Bottom