• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n (Wii) First screens ahahahahahahaha and the plot thickens...

"© 2007 Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used under license. CRUIS'N is a trademark of Nintendo"

Wait what? Cruis'n is a Trademark of Nintendo? I dont know that :lol

Now....if the actual screenshots of this game are as bad as they have been shown here (i.e. this is as good as it gets) and someone can casually drop in a PS2 Burnout 3 screenshot and it completely and utterly destroys the best offerings for this game on the Wii, then the devs for this game need to be rounded up, put on the same boat as all the lawyers in the US and sunk to the bottom of the sea.....and no one would care.

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
"© 2007 Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. Used under license. CRUIS'N is a trademark of Nintendo"

Wait what? Cruis'n is a Trademark of Nintendo? I dont know that :lol

Cruis'n has been a joint Nintendo-Midway franchise since the beginning, though Midway has developed all of the games. Cruis'n USA was an "Ultra 64" arcade game (along with Killer Instinct), supposedly showing what the N64 (U64 then) would be able to do, and Nintendo got at least partial rights on the name... there's a reason why all Cruis'n home-system releases have been on Nintendo systems you know: Midway can't release them anywhere else. So the five Cruis'n home-system releases are USA, World, and Exotica for the N64, Exotica for the GBC, and the original (not that good, but original) Cruis'n Velocity for the GBA. And now this game.

Lobster

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Cruis'n has been a joint Nintendo-Midway franchise since the beginning, though Midway has developed all of the games. Cruis'n USA was an "Ultra 64" arcade game (along with Killer Instinct), supposedly showing what the N64 (U64 then) would be able to do, and Nintendo got at least partial rights on the name... there's a reason why all Cruis'n home-system releases have been on Nintendo systems you know: Midway can't release them anywhere else. So the five Cruis'n home-system releases are USA, World, and Exotica for the N64, Exotica for the GBC, and the original (not that good, but original) Cruis'n Velocity for the GBA. And now this game.

Well Nintendo should step the fuck in and use this game to show what the Wii can do.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sorry about bumping this thread when it's a day old, but I went and e-mailed someone at Raw Thrills, alerted them to this thread, and asked him to register a GAF account and get into the discussion about this. I feel that this negative can be turned into a positive with a little goading...

hindenburg-771072.jpg

:(

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Scopebob Sniperpants said:
http://www.saint.org/blog/uploaded_images/hindenburg-771072.jpg[IMG]

:([/QUOTE]
Well, two things. One, this guy is really nice, and secondly, developers interacting with gamers is a good thing. Would everyone be anticipating Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix... hand cramps!... if Capcom wasn't listening? Something good can come out of this...

Cravis

twinturbo2 said:
Sorry about bumping this thread when it's a day old, but I went and e-mailed someone at Raw Thrills, alerted them to this thread, and asked him to register a GAF account and get into the discussion about this. I feel that this negative can be turned into a positive with a little goading...
I'm probably the only one who would want it but they need to release Project Terror on the Wii. Heck Midway could call it Maximum Force 2: Project Terror. I never thought we would get Raw Thrills games on the home console. Out of all of the negative Nancy's here I am looking forward to Cruis'n.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Cravis said:
I'm probably the only one who would want it but they need to release Project Terror on the Wii. Heck Midway could call it Maximum Force 2: Project Terror. I never thought we would get Raw Thrills games on the home console. Out of all of the negative Nancy's here I am looking forward to Cruis'n.
You mean Target Terror, right?
And yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to Crusi'n, but it could be so much more. I fear a wasted opprotunity here...

Cravis

twinturbo2 said:
You mean Target Terror, right?
And yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to Crusi'n, but it could be so much more. I fear a wasted opprotunity here...
Yeah Target Terror: War on Terror. It's been so long since I've seen one in the arcade, almost forgot the name!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Cravis said:
Yeah Target Terror: War on Terror. It's been so long since I've seen one in the arcade, almost forgot the name!
That game is pretty fun, but it would be better if you knew who was going to shoot at you. It sucks when you don't at least get a warning, like in Ghost Squad...

Cravis

twinturbo2 said:
That game is pretty fun, but it would be better if you knew who was going to shoot at you. It sucks when you don't at least get a warning, like in Ghost Squad...
That's the only draw back. Time Crisis and Ghost Squad have spoiled us. I thought it was really cool how you could score multiple hits on the same enemy. That's something I did not expect with the digitized enemies.

$30.....old school retard arcade gameplay.....I'm there! I just hope there are a lot of tracks and maybe a surprise or two port......!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
falcinator said:
$30.....old school retard arcade gameplay.....I'm there! I just hope there are a lot of tracks and maybe a surprise or two port......!
Didn't the original press release claim that there would only be 12 tracks?

Wonderdog

Pulling tricks with cars...? Not a new idea. Check out Rock and Roll Racing for the PS2 - a game that let you do car-tastic tricks, and it even looked better than Cruis'n does. How sad.

Laurent

Is it me or wasn't that game boring as hell?

Back in 1994, you had Killer Instinct on one side that introduced its combo-dedicated fights with its own mecanic and somehow interesting character designs and on the other side... Cruis'n USA, that looked like another generic racer...

I haven't tried any versions other than the original, so I might be missing something...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Laurent said:
Is it me or wasn't that game boring as hell?

Back in 1994, you had Killer Instinct on one side that introduced its combo-dedicated fights with its own mecanic and somehow interesting character designs and on the other side... Cruis'n USA, that looked like another generic racer...

I haven't tried any versions other than the original, so I might be missing something...
World and Exotica mostly played the same, but with CAR VAULTS!

Dolphin

Banned
What I remember about Cruis'n USA is that it didn't really feel like you drove your car. It felt like your car was at the center of the screen and you maneuvered the entire world around your car. It looks like they replicated that well here. Maybe they should try not to do that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dolphin said:
What I remember about Cruis'n USA is that it didn't really feel like you drove your car. It felt like your car was at the center of the screen and you maneuvered the entire world around your car. It looks like they replicated that well here. Maybe they should try not to do that.
To me, the problem with the Crusi'n series was that it wasn't all that challenging, aside from dodging the traffic. There was an attempt to up the challenge with the catch-up AI, but that was more irritating than anything else. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, Daytona USA was released several months before Crusi'n USA, so that might have tainted my initial impressions of the latter...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Icarus said:
Actually, the call for an SF Rush remake would have been MUCH better received than this tripe.
IDK, man, isn't Crusi'n being co-developed by the Midway Games West guys???

twinturbo2 said:
To me, the problem with the Crusi'n series was that it wasn't all that challenging, aside from dodging the traffic. There was an attempt to up the challenge with the catch-up AI, but that was more irritating than anything else. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, Daytona USA was released several months before Crusi'n USA, so that might have tainted my initial impressions of the latter...

It was intentionally made with easy tracks and traffic as the main obstacle, I'd say. Which is why the 3-4 player mode in N64 World/Exotica was flawed... they removed the traffic for framerate reasons.

Actually, the call for an SF Rush remake would have been MUCH better received than this tripe.

Rush and Cruis'n do not and never had any significant staff in common, either in their arcade or home console incarnations. Rush/Rush: The Rock/Rush 2049 were made by Atari Games/Midway Games West. Cruis'n USA/World/Exotica were made by Midway's own arcade division. F&TF (Cruis'n Wii) was made by Raw Thrills, founded by some people who left Midway when it shut down its arcade division. Rush is harder to pin down... evidently according to this thread the four people behind arcade Rush 2049 went to another arcade game developer and made a NASCAR arcade racing game, but I have no idea what happened to the Midway staff that ported the game to (Atari Games/Midway Games West's porting staff, I believe... looking at MobyGames lists, no staff is listed as working on both Rush and Cruis'n, either in their arcade or home incarnations. Midway may have bought Atari Games, but they were in different places and had different staffs... (Atari Games' home-console development team(s), of course, being what was once Tengen/Time Warner Interactive -- they already had staff to port the games, they didn't need other Midway teams to do it for them...)

That is, expecting the Cruis'n team to be able to make a Rush game is not realistic. They've just made Cruis'n style racing games. Similarly, expecting today's Midway -- shed of both its Midway and Atari Games arcade divisions (Atari Games/Midway Games West closed in 2003) -- to be able to make either a Rush or Cruis'n style game is equally unrealistic... this game is only possible because the core Cruis'n people didn't break up after leaving Midway. Rush, which had significant influences from both home and arcade teams (Rush 1 tracks 4-6 were originally designed for the N64 version of Rush 1, for instance; they were later ported into Rush: The Rock before the second arcade version's release. And of course Rush 2049 had stunt, battle, and obstacle course modes added, wings added, and redesigned courses. Compared to that the home Cruis'n games pretty much just added a few new course variants (like the lap race, drag race, etc) that just mix up the courses that are already present... the Rush home games definitely added more when compared to their arcade counterparts than the Cruis'n home games did, though the later home Cruis'n games did do a decent job in having a whole bunch of unlockable cars.

GameFAQs and Wikipedia list Midway San Diego as being the studio that is developing Cruis'n for the Wii. (Raw Thrills has nothing to do with this port as far as I know, remember. They just made the original arcade game...) The dead Atari Games/Midway Games West and its staff have nothing to do with it either.

Phoenix

Wow... I don't expect much from the Wii graphically but man I thought they said the Wii was on par with last generation graphics? These graphics look awful and Nintendo should now pay to make sure this game never comes to market and is buried with the ET carts.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
A Black Falcon said:
Rush is harder to pin down... evidently according to this thread the four people behind arcade Rush 2049 went to another arcade game developer and made a NASCAR arcade racing game, but I have no idea what happened to the Midway staff that ported the game to (Atari Games/Midway Games West's porting staff, I believe... looking at MobyGames lists, no staff is listed as working on both Rush and Cruis'n, either in their arcade or home incarnations. Midway may have bought Atari Games, but they were in different places and had different staffs... (Atari Games' home-console development team(s), of course, being what was once Tengen/Time Warner Interactive -- they already had staff to port the games, they didn't need other Midway teams to do it for them...)
That was me, and I feel like I should at least back it up. One name is mentioned here in this press release:
http://www.globalvr.com/company_press-release_2007-7-23.html
Who is John Ray, and did he have anything to do with Rush 2049? That might be one of the four people I'm referring to...
EDIT: Page 4 of this article and a cross-checking of MobyGames also reveals that John Ray was producer of the arcade version and unveils another name: Mike Kruse, who was the QA manager for the home port versions. I'll cross-check a few other sources to find the other two. Halfway there...

.dmc

Banned
Phoenix said:
Wow... I don't expect much from the Wii graphically but man I thought they said the Wii was on par with last generation graphics?

They lied, they're actually packing in excess parts from unsold consoles and as they go through the warehouse games will actually start looking worse. Think things are bad now? Wait until they start duct taping SNES's..

Or, you know, the awfulness of Cruis'n has nothing to do with the hardware, and everything to do with the fact that it's a direct port of a four year old game. Just maybe.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
No love for my sleuthing?
Anyways, I got a reply from Raw Thrills, and they basically said "we're not doing this port, so we can't comment." So, that ends that.

Isn't this game coming out in a matter of days, and still no viable info other than that video on their site from the other day....???

stilgar

This game is so crappy and under every last-gen standard that I propose a lock for this thread. You kniow, it's like starting topics about phoenix games, excpet that when we talk about Phoenix or davilex shovelwares, it's funny; and here it's not. Just Sadness (/James Blunt).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
stilgar said:
This game is so crappy and under every last-gen standard that I propose a lock for this thread. You kniow, it's like starting topics about phoenix games, excpet that when we talk about Phoenix or davilex shovelwares, it's funny; and here it's not. Just Sadness (/James Blunt).
Yeah, this thread is petering out fast. I propose a lock until the game is released, then this thread should be unlock so we can mock the low review scores that it's sure to get.

Everyone is basing their devout cynicism on exactly HOW much press coverage that has been leaked....? Albeit the stuff that HAS come out, has looked like crap, but this series has always excelled in FUN, while maintaining crap aesthetics.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
WHY IS NINTENDO ALLOWING THEIR CONSOLE TO BE WATERED DOWN WITH ALL THIS SHITTY SHOVEL WARE. THEY WOULD BE DOING JUST AS WELL WITHOUT IT.

/hissy fit

Cravis

Just found out it was delayed till the 27th. Should have looked at other sites besides Amazon. They said they had it in stock but EB is listing the 27th as the new date.

Top Bottom