• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n (Wii) First screens ahahahahahahaha and the plot thickens...

tak

Gahiggidy said:
Has this one been posted yet...?

actual_gameplay.jpg
There is no way that is a screenshot from the game. Cruis'n is a realistic car simulator, and I think we all know a car cannot car vault at a 110mph, it has to be going at least 115mph! I call this screenshot a bullshoot someone put out there to soil Cruis'n good name.

tak said:
There is no way that is a screenshot from the game. Cruis'n is a realistic car simulator, and I think we all know a car cannot car vault at a 110mph, it has to be going at least 115mph! I call this screenshot a bullshoot someone put out there to soil Cruis'n good name.

You willing to make a ban-bet that these aren't the real screenshots?

VultureDude said:
it would be hilarious if the game was actually uber enjoyable to play, but looked this bad.

That's pretty much what's going to happen. This is, after all, a port of the The Fast & the Furious arcade game (a 2004 game, by the way, though there was a second one, TF&TF: Super Bikes, and a new arcade game called TF&TF - Drift that just came out this year, I don't know if Cruis'n for the Wii includes anything from either of those later titles), built on the older legacy of the Cruis'n games from the same lead designer, and all of those games had good fun gameplay and mediocre or poor graphics. While I would definitely agree that comparing any of the three Cruis'n games on the N64 to stuff like the Rush games was embarrassing (Cruis'n Exotica and Rush 2049 came out on the N64 around the same time, and Rush 2049 looked orders of magnitude better graphically...), the Cruis'n games were fun anyway thanks to really simple, but entertaining, gameplay. They do get old after a while, but even so they're fun enough. This game, essentially being Cruis'n 4, is exactly like that, and that's why I'm actually happy that it's getting a home console port... I actually found the old Cruis'n games fun overall, despite their definite drawbacks, and this is like them.

Oh yeah, and this will be the first racing game of any competence Midway has released since they closed down Midway Games West (Atari Games), I'd say... and it comes from old Atari Games staff. I think it's great to see Midway having some kind of a relationship with Eugene Jarvis again...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
A Black Falcon said:
...[stuff]....
Why would you expect the game to be particualrly enjoyable when the visuals are that bad? So bad that the people working on the visuals are either very inexperienced... or few in number (hint, one guy). You think the game program staff is overweighted with large team of cracker-jack, veteran programmers?

-- edit. Ok, it may be a port of an existing, fun game... but they can't port the controls directly to Wii.

Gahiggidy said:
Why would you expect the game to be particualrly enjoyable when the visuals are that bad? So bad that the people working on the visuals are either very inexperienced... or few in number (hint, one guy). You think the game program staff is overweighted with large team of cracker-jack, veteran programmers?

-- edit. Ok, it may be a port of an existing, fun game... but they can't port the controls directly to Wii.

Or, more likely, they simply didn't have the money to afford arcade hardware that could do anything better? The US arcade market isn't exactly large these days, how much can you expect from a small place like Raw Thrills which has made one game a year since 2003... punishing them because of that isn't fair. They do what they can, I'm sure. The US arcade market is nothing like what it was when Cruis'n USA came out in 1994...

Of course the game won't be quite as fun without an arcade cabinet with the seat, wheel, etc (or bike, for the motorcycle game), but that's been true for every arcade racing game ever, so that's nothing special here. Wiimote-as-wheel controls (I'd expect them to put them in in some fashion, and Excite Truck proved how well they can work) will help make things a bit more interesting... :)

After Midway's abysmal effort that was their last racing-game "resurrection" that was LA Rush I was expecting the very worst when I first heard about this game, but I felt a lot better about it once I realized what it actually was... this isn't an A-quality game or anything, to be sure, but it's not bad either.

tak

A Black Falcon said:
Or, more likely, they simply didn't have the money to afford arcade hardware that could do anything better? The US arcade market isn't exactly large these days, how much can you expect from a small place like Raw Thrills which has made one game a year since 2003... punishing them because of that isn't fair. They do what they can, I'm sure. The US arcade market is nothing like what it was when Cruis'n USA came out in 1994...

Of course the game won't be quite as fun without an arcade cabinet with the seat, wheel, etc (or bike, for the motorcycle game), but that's been true for every arcade racing game ever, so that's nothing special here. Wiimote-as-wheel controls (I'd expect them to put them in in some fashion, and Excite Truck proved how well they can work) will help make things a bit more interesting... :)

After Midway's abysmal effort that was their last racing-game "resurrection" that was LA Rush I was expecting the very worst when I first heard about this game, but I felt a lot better about it once I realized what it actually was... this isn't an A-quality game or anything, to be sure, but it's not bad either.
I loved the arcade version of Cruis'n USA. It was one my favorite arcade racing games for a time, next to Virtua Racing. I remember when it first came out it was the only game I played at my local arcade.

Damnit, I wished that arcade was still around. I loved a weekly deal they had that allowed me to play games for an entire evening really cheaply.

A Black Falcon said:

There's a difference between what a small dev team can do vs. what a small & crappy dev team can do.

Treasure > These guys
Jeff Minter > These guys
iD Software > These guys
My left buttcheek > These guys

DiatribeEQ said:
There's a difference between what a small dev team can do vs. what a small & crappy dev team can do.

Treasure > These guys
Jeff Minter > These guys
iD Software > These guys
My left buttcheek > These guys

Oh come on, comparisons like that are stupid. Raw Thrills is making arcade games, not PC or home console games. That's a crucial, crucial difference! In America's current arcade market, you simply couldn't sell something that pushes hardware graphically. There's no way the market could support those kinds of prices. There are very, very few Western arcade game developers for a reason, you know... there used to be plenty, but as the market died so did the developers. Raw Thrills (Eugene Jarvis's company, that is) is one of the very few still doing it... Japanese companies can make much higher-end arcade games, because the arcade game market there is still healthy, but in the US it's nearly non-existant, and that reflects on the games. Why make a game with high-end graphics when you know it would simply not sell? That's be pointless... besides, arcade games are as much about the experience as they are about the graphics, as stuff like the huge popularity in recent years of Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga proves. Sitting on a seat, with a wheel and the whole arcade experience... who cares if that 2004 game (F&TF here) doesn't exactly push hardware graphically? I mean, 1999's Cruis'n Exotica is still a fairly popular arcade game... arcade games in the US aren't about pushing graphics anymore. Games like these reflect that.

Treasure? They've got to be a lot bigger than Raw Thrills, who claim to have 25 people on their website and produce one arcade game a year. Treasure makes a lot more games than that.

Jeff Minter? He employs himself and one other person and makes amazing stuff, relying on highly stylistic graphics to get by there... I love his stuff, but again, it's not a fair comparison at all. He's never had to deal with the arcade market.

iD... yeah, right. Like that comparison makes any sense at all.

Honestly, the reaction this game has gotten doesn't surprise me. The Cruis'n games have been getting bad press from console gamers from day one, after all -- even Cruis'n USA was criticized in its N64 port for being too simplistic for a console game. The series did okay on N64, but never approached its arcade popularity... if you don't know, Cruis'n USA was one of Midway's biggest hits ever in the arcade, selling a huge number of units for an arcade machine, and its sequels did very well as well. It's just a series that was designed as an arcade game that works best in that setting. The F&TF games are Cruis'n games by another name, so it makes sense that they'd be hit with some of the the same complaints, particularly when, thanks to the massive decline of the Western arcade market, they can't advance much graphically like the home console industry has lest Raw Thrills price themselves out of the market. So yes, the criticisms make sense... it's a simple game with mediocre graphics. Those facts don't bother me much, but they bother a lot of people.

The problem for that negative view is, it's also FUN! The Cruis'n and F&TF games have done well in the arcades for a simple reason: they are fun. That's why they were worth playing in the arcades, and that is why they are worth playing at home too. It may not take long to finish each Cruis'n game, but while it lasts it's quite entertaining... and isn't that all that really matters? (okay, unlocking all the cars in Cruis'n Exotica on the N64 wasn't fun, thanks to the huge numbers of miles required to do it, but you didn't need to do that, and in the course of beating all the tracks the game had to offer you unlocked more than enough interesting vehicles to make it not matter much at all that you didn't get them all... :))

Andokuky

Banned
actual_gameplay.jpg

Was that a sarcastic "actual gameplay" put in by you or did the developers actually put it in there to impress people :lol

cprime85 said:
That game validated my purchase of a 3DO(even if it was for $60 after the system stopped or was on the verge of not being supported.

If only I could save my replays in that game :(

Oh, I remember playing the same tracks over and over and over again on my 3D0, just because someone got a few lucky cracks in on me, made me crash, or beat me at the last second. Yes, I was a vengefull little bitch back in those days.

3D0 Road Rash > All before it and all since.

cprime85

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Oh, I remember playing the same tracks over and over and over again on my 3D0, just because someone got a few lucky cracks in on me, made me crash, or beat me at the last second. Yes, I was a vengefull little bitch back in those days.

3D0 Road Rash > All before it and all since.

Yeah, Road Rash was great as well. I played the genesis games before I encountered the greatness of the 3DO version and wondered how I actually tolerated that shit. Road Rash and NFS were the games I used to show off my 3DO, which I actually thought was more powerful than PSX(1996). Hopefully people cut me some slack here since I was 11 at the time.

BTW, did you play EQ?

Don't be so harsh on them, guys. All they want is to shovel this out and make some easy money so they can fund their 360/PS3 projects. Everyone else is doing it, so why can't this team?

mclem

One of the Cruis'n board mods said:
"It is for Wii. You can't exactly expect PGR4 or Forza 2 level of detail."
You're quite right. But I can expect PGR2 level of detail. I can expect Forza 1 level of detail. Heck, I'd probably accept MSR level of detail.

Honestly, I'll accept an excuse based on budget constraints - looking good costs money, and it looks like money isn't being poured into this thing, whereas it was for those earlier listed titles - honestly, that's fine, and I suspect it's the real truth.

I have a problem, though, with people just making the Wii into a scapegoat with that attitude.

big_z

drift is basically the same engine/gameplay. all these games seem to be bastard children of california speed.

if midway is going to make wii games then they should go back and play the original SF:Rush arcade and make a new/proper entry in that franchise.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Haunted One said:
One has to wonder why they decided to port the older game anyway.

and yeah, Rush > Cruis'n
The only logical theory is that Drift was just released a few months ago, and putting in the newer content would mess with the revenue stream they've got there.

ram

A Black Falcon said:
That's pretty much what's going to happen. This is, after all, a port of the The Fast & the Furious arcade game (a 2004 game, by the way, though there was a second one, TF&TF: Super Bikes, and a new arcade game called TF&TF - Drift that just came out this year, I don't know if Cruis'n for the Wii includes anything from either of those later titles),

ha ha ha - nice find, i played the TF&TF: Super Bike game in the arcade and it was total bullcrap with a bad framerate.

Shogmaster said:
That game apparently launch in 2007 @ ASI Las Vegas.

http://www.arcadebelgium.be/ab.php?l=en&r=art&p=arcffd

It uses PC based arcade cabinet. I'm not saying that they are doing their best work or maxing out the Wii, but it's not all that smart to compare their work on a 2007 PC based arcade hardware vs the Wii.
I'm saying they have an engine that looks better than what we're seeing here. And it hardly looks like anything state of the art, it looks no better than Burnout 3 for PS2 as a matter of fact.

burnout-3-takedown-4.jpg

How incompetent do you think they are?

Stitch

Gold Member
Shogmaster said:
That game apparently launch in 2007 @ ASI Las Vegas.

http://www.arcadebelgium.be/ab.php?l=en&r=art&p=arcffd

It uses PC based arcade cabinet. I'm not saying that they are doing their best work or maxing out the Wii, but it's not all that smart to compare their work on a 2007 PC based arcade hardware vs the Wii.

eh, that doesn't look like a 2007 pc game at all. more like 2003.

Bojangles said:
bigrigs_2.jpg

ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

and gamespot already reviewed it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs

xsarien

daedsiluap
Seriously, there are Gamecube launch titles that literally look remarkably better than this.

Try harder, Midway. It's not the Wii hardware, it's your slacker dev team.

But guys, it's work in progress! I'm sure they'll redo all the textures, models, tracks and overall art style over and over again until the product is finished. That's how games are produced, right?

typhonsentra said:
I'm saying they have an engine that looks better than what we're seeing here. And it hardly looks like anything state of the art, it looks no better than Burnout 3 for PS2 as a matter of fact.

How incompetent do you think they are?

Blame Midway then, for deciding to port the first F&TF game first instead of the third one first... I mean, F&TF -- Cruis'n -- is a 2004 game. F&TF: Super Bikes is a 2006 game. F&TF: Drift is a 2007 game. None have had any home ports. They're porting the first one first. Makes sense to me...

As for the graphics, how would Midway make an older game look as good as a newer one? Completely redoing the graphics from the grounds up? That's not going to happen... it looks like the game it's a port of, with, presumably, a few graphical enhancements here and there. Doing anything more than that would require a lot higher budget, I'm sure.

And no, I don't think "port just Drift" would be a realistic solution for that. Really, arcade games usually don't get home ports immediately after their arcade release... they release them some time later, in order to have time for them to make money in the arcades first. I'd expect there to be a delay.

big_z said:
drift is basically the same engine/gameplay. all these games seem to be bastard children of california speed.

if midway is going to make wii games then they should go back and play the original SF:Rush arcade and make a new/proper entry in that franchise.

No, California Speed (along with Off-Road Challenge and others) was based off of Cruis'n USA, not the other way around(it was essentially a simpler version of Cruis'n, I'd say), and F&TF is from the people behind Cruis'n USA... as for Rush, Rush certainly is better than Cruis'n. The three original Rush games are among my favorite Midway games ever, something I wouldn't say about the Cruis'n series for sure (Cruis'n USA was impressive at the time it came out, for sure... it just wasn't on Rush's level.). However, the Cruis'n team still pretty much exists, while the Rush team(s, the arcade and DC/N64 games had different development teams of course, and the home port here was a lot more than just a port...), to the best of my knowledge, doesn't (though I really don't know where a lot of those people went, I don't think they're still with Midway). I don't think anyone connected with Midway could make a real Rush game even if they wanted to... it's sad, definitely, but there's nothing we can do about it. :(

StevieP

Banned
:Motorbass said:
But guys, it's work in progress! I'm sure they'll redo all the textures, models, tracks and overall art style over and over again until the product is finished. That's how games are produced, right?

This isn't Halo 3! This game would sell at $20, though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
A Black Falcon said:
And no, I don't think "port just Drift" would be a realistic solution for that. Really, arcade games usually don't get home ports immediately after their arcade release... they release them some time later, in order to have time for them to make money in the arcades first. I'd expect there to be a delay.
Didn't the PS2 version of Tekken 5 come out literally months after the arcade version? MarkMan, help me out here...

Cruis'n USA was impressive at the time it came out, for sure... it just wasn't on Rush's level.). However, the Cruis'n team still pretty much exists, while the Rush team(s, the arcade and DC/N64 games had different development teams of course, and the home port here was a lot more than just a port...), to the best of my knowledge, doesn't (though I really don't know where a lot of those people went, I don't think they're still with Midway). I don't think anyone connected with Midway could make a real Rush game even if they wanted to... it's sad, definitely, but there's nothing we can do about it. :(
Two things. One, the arcade version of Daytona USA was released months before Cruis'n USA, and the original Ridge Racer was out a year or so before that, so I didn't think Cruis'n USA was technically great even back then. Secondly, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the four main guys behind Rush 2049 are at Global VR and worked on an EA Sports NASCAR game for the arcades. I had a conversation on BYOAC.com a while back and learned that they are at Global VR over there. I didn't get any names, though.

twinturbo2 said:
Didn't the PS2 version of Tekken 5 come out literally months after the arcade version? MarkMan, help me out here...

It'd be nice if they'd just include all the content from all three F&TF games in Cruis'n, of course, but I doubt that they'll do that...

Two things. One, the arcade version of Daytona USA was released months before Cruis'n USA, and the original Ridge Racer was out a year or so before that, so I didn't think Cruis'n USA was technically great even back then. Secondly, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the four main guys behind Rush 2049 are at Global VR and worked on an EA Sports NASCAR game for the arcades. I had a conversation on BYOAC.com a while back and learned that they are at Global VR over there. I didn't get any names, though.

Daytona/Ridge Racer: Good points. Daytona is indeed an awesome game... I've never been a Ridge Racer fan really, though. It's just so frustrating... and Cruis'n USA was pretty good too at the time. Simpler than those games, but good too...

Global VR: Didn't remember that, interesting. Worked on a NASCAR arcade game? Blah...

Top Bottom