• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n (Wii) First screens ahahahahahahaha and the plot thickens...

tanod

when is my burrito
Hyoushi said:
officeassistantwant-f34.gif

That's one I haven't seen before. :lol :lol :lol

Borys

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, the comment wasn't really all that funny though. I'd expect it from a junior, but you should hold yourself to higher standards of jackassery, sir.

Eternal shame on me then :(

maxmars

Gigglepoo said:
9 pages!? That game doesn't look any worse than Outrun. Why do people drool over that crap but crap on this crap?

Well, you'd expect something more, afterall Excite Truck had better graphics and was a launch title. Granted, it wasn't EXCITE because of its graphics, but I think there must be a minimum standard, which this Cruisn' unfortunately isn't meeting.

_Angelus_

Banned
I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that until Nintendo start enforcing better quality control over what these 3rd companies spin out for the the Wii - then the system gonna to continue to be heckled. Thats the nature of the beast,graphics do play a part in what we buy as entertainment here,there should be a standard set.

Seriously-that shit is disgusting. Whats amazing is that its becoming a common problem for the Wii now,something you just don't write this off with a free pass. More and more 3rd party games are looking really bad. Nintendo should be embarrassed for even allowing these companies to release sub par looking games like this,it looks like a late 90s racer.

Gigglepoo

Angelus said:
I don't think its too much of a stretch to say that until Nintendo start enforcing better quality control over what these 3rd companies spin out for the the Wii - then the system is gonna to continue to be heckled.

The thing is, Nintendo's own games haven't exactly pushed the envelope either. Look at Wii Sports and Wario Ware. They are good looking (simple art style) but established from the outset that the Wii will never sell because of graphics. 3rd parties are merely following Nintendo's lead.

_Angelus_

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
The thing is, Nintendo's own games haven't exactly pushed the envelope either. Look at Wii Sports and Wario Ware. They are good looking (simple art style) but established from the outset that the Wii will never sell because of graphics. 3rd parties are merely following Nintendo's lead.

I suppose youre right. But I still think more should be done with regards to what these 3rd parties are releasing. I mean the aliasing on the new Cruisin' USA racer.....damn patch that shit up at the least. I realize its probably really early,yes we see crapy looking games on all systems but at the same time it makes me cringe at the thought of having to pay 250 dollars when I get around to buying the system for my NIGHTS and Mario fix.
I know the system has a bright future ahead with its sales being so strong,but I really wish something would be done about the games visuals when 3rd parties are involved.

Its like reliving the Sega Saturn situation all over again - where 3rd parties don't give much thought into the quality of what theyre putting out for the Wii. Its an ugly feeling.

Gigglepoo

Angelus said:
I know the system has a bright future ahead with its sales being so strong,but I really wish something would be done about the games visuals when 3rd parties are involved.

Two possible scenarios:

3rd party games sell on the Wii. 3rd parties are not forced to put time and energy into their games. We never see an improvement.

3rd party games don't sell on the Wii. 3rd parties assume they can't sell software on a Nintendo system. They move on to other platforms, only giving ports to the Wii.

Nintendo needs to step up now.

d+pad

Gigglepoo said:

Well, if that's the case, they're completely missing the point. Nintendo's games are rarely as impressive graphically as other "next-gen" efforts, but at least they have a sense of style. And even then, the fun factor generally makes you forget about the lack of polys, etc.

This and many other third-party Wii efforts, on the other hand, look like crap. In fact, it looks like something that may have been in the arcades in 1992. And I doubt it's any fun, either.

I love how third parties put out shit like this and then complain that gamers who buy Nintendo hardware only buy Nintendo software. If that's true, it's because Nintendo's one of the only companies that seem to put any effort into the games made for their systems.

If third-party efforts were fun like Wii Sports or looked like Mario Galaxy and still didn't sell, they would have a case, but as of now they can keep their traps shut as far as I'm concerned.

_Angelus_

Banned
You know after seeing the OutRun screens it makes you wonder-why doesn't Sega just combine the first two previously released OR2 games into one nice neat little package,juice up the visuals,add some new exclusive tracks and play modes,online play,Wii wheel support,I think it would sell atleast decently.

Makes too much sense I guess.

M3wThr33

Banned
I've seen the F&F games before but never tried them. Raw Thrills seems to be one of the few American Arcade developers left. They have the basic core arcade games down well. Although I assume they called it Cruis'n because they couldn't get the F&F license, because Namco owns that for home consoles.
FYI, there are former Midway Employees at the company that makes this, so some of the spirit is still there. Hell, all of it is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ugh, and it's not even the original license? This game is going to suck outside of the Fast & the Furious universe. My guess is there will be plenty of little details that will look borked and mishmash the Fast & the Furious and Cruis'n universes.

Just gets better and better . . . .

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
M3wThr33 said:
I've seen the F&F games before but never tried them. Raw Thrills seems to be one of the few American Arcade developers left. They have the basic core arcade games down well. Although I assume they called it Cruis'n because they couldn't get the F&F license, because Namco owns that for home consoles.
FYI, there are former Midway Employees at the company that makes this, so some of the spirit is still there. Hell, all of it is.
They're very Cruis'n like in gameplay, just with nitrous and drifting addedd on. And Raw Thrills was founded by Eugine Jarvis the director of the Cruis'n trilogy, and most of the people who worked on those games are at Raw Thrills, too.

Oh, and as an aside, I know that the four main guys behind Rush 2049 are at Global VR, and are working on an EA Sports NASCAR arcade game. :D

EDIT: Cravis, good thing you finally caught on, slowpoke. :D

M3wThr33

Banned
AstroLad said:
Ugh, and it's not even the original license? This game is going to suck outside of the Fast & the Furious universe. My guess is there will be plenty of little details that will look borked and mishmash the Fast & the Furious and Cruis'n universes.

Just gets better and better . . . .
Did you read my post?

The company that made the F&F games is made up of people that made the Cruis'N games.

Also, Rush 2049 is one of the best games ever made. Ever. Seriously.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
M3wThr33 said:
Did you read my post?

The company that made the F&F games is made up of people that made the Cruis'N games.

I'm just saying that pasting on a Cruis'n license onto a Fast & the Furious game is a bad idea. How would people feel if Link was pasted into the universe of some other licensed game and they just made a few minor tweaks and changed the name? The two universes have very unique elements (e.g., school bus in Cruis'n) that deserve proper treatment and I just don't get the impression that will happen here.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but it feels like a cut-and-paste job. People talk about diluting licenses, and if that's what 's happening here that is a damn shame.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
M3wThr33 said:
Did you read my post?

Also, Rush 2049 is one of the best games ever made. Ever. Seriously.
I would so kill for an arcade-perfect port of Rush 2049 SE on XBLA. :D

AstroLad said:
I'm just saying that pasting on a Cruis'n license onto a Fast & the Furious game is a bad idea. How would people feel if Link was pasted into the universe of some other licensed game and they just made a few minor tweaks and changed the name? The two universes have very unique elements (e.g., school bus in Cruis'n) that deserve proper treatment and I just don't get the impression that will happen here.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but it feels like a cut-and-paste job. People talk about diluting licenses, and if that's what 's happening here that is a damn shame.

You mean like Super Mario Bros. 2?

ManaByte

Gold Member
AstroLad said:

The F&F arcade games are basically just Cruis'n games with a license slapped on them...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
jboldiga said:
You mean like Super Mario Bros. 2?

Yes, although I'm reassured about the team in charge I still have my concerns and I really doubt this will turn out as well unless great care is taken to remain true to the license.

i dont understand this. i don't expect developers to push the console to the limits like, say, mario galaxy is. but what the fuck is up with all these N64 quality graphics on the wii. are they really that lazy?

Top Bottom