• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrunchyRoll is run by incompetent fools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
For anyone not noticing, this thread is more than 1 year old.

Wanna support the industry? Get a hulu sub. Comes out the same time and you get more value for what you spend. Caught up to One Punch Man just like the lovely folks who uses crunchyroll
Hulu is only available in the United States.

mAcOdIn

One thing I've noticed is is Crunchyroll seems to be more adversely affected by bufferbloat on my connection than most other apps are. I had a much older cable modem and recently upgraded to a docsis 3 modem and at first, frankly, I thought it was broke or my ISP was screwing me over. Keep in mind this is a docsis 3 modem replacing an old Motorola SB 501 Docsis 2.0 modem, my speeds were supposed to double. And they did, sorta. I've been in the same apartment with the same cable modem and same provider for years, I know what my connection' feels like. So while I could run a bandwidth test and get 50mb down with the new modem the actual connection felt like ass. Crunchyroll would be hell when starting any show, it'd take about 2 minutes for it to stop skipping or pausing before it'd seemingly break in and run decent. Hulu and Netflix fared better but still weren't as snappy as with my old modem on the same connection, with half as much bandwidth available to it.

I did 3 things, went and got some new quad shielded rg-6 which seemed to help my cable modem's signal a bit because it looked weak on the modem's page before but that still yielded shittier performance than my old cable modem and no noticeable effect on actual use.

And then upgraded my ancient router. Which also didn't affect performance any on any of my wired devices, the wireless ones did feel better though.

So I started running some tests and found out about bufferbloat and decided to give OpenWRT a shot. Once I set up its SQM everything runs way better. Seriously. I had to sacrifice a little of my top speed to get it running perfect but everything's better.
If your router supports it give it a shot: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

I think we take a lot of stuff for granted in regards to the internet. We all know certain ISPs are better than others but I think we fail to realize how much the stupid stuff actually influences. Things like the cable or splitter. I assumed a docsis 3 modem would be better than a docsis 2 in every way but something about the way the new one works made it's actual experience infinitely worse than my old one. Had this new modem been the first modem I had in a new apartment I would have assumed that that was my service, that's what I got and that the internet was just running like shit at the time. I wouldn't have known any differently.
For anyone not noticing, this thread is more than 1 year old..
Lol,oops.

lol @ the random necrobump
probable-astroturf
first post

between CR's unwillingness/inability to stop using flash and that data breach, I'm pretty over the site. maybe if/when they get their act together.

Dali

lol @ the random necrobump
probable-astroturf
first post

between CR's unwillingness/inability to stop using flash and that data breach, I'm pretty over the site. maybe if/when they get their act together.
It does seem like an odd way to make your first post after having been here for over a year.

I have been a subscriber to crunchyroll for about 5 years now. I started pc only, then moved onto ps3/pc, then strictly ps4, now im ps4 and pc. I have had occasional hiccups in the streaming service but i have had far fewer problems with CR than with Hulu. While Netflix seems to be the best at playing even when my internet is crap, Crunchyroll is my favorite and most used streaming service of all time. 2 and a Half years ago i only had 5 MB a second internet which was the lowest possible speed possible with my isp, remember i was paying for up to 5 MB i usually only got around 3.5 on speed tests, and Crunchyroll only had problems about once every 6 months. I couldn't be happier with the service on my ps4, my internet wouldn't have handled 1080p even if the ps4 app would have had the capabilities. In the last half a year i have had a "slight" increase in income and decided the first thing i would change would be my internet speed. Now i have around 50 MB a second and mostly use Crunchyroll on my laptop and i have never had 1 issue with running 1080p video. I will say i don't notice the difference between the ps4 and the laptop, I use both and only use the laptop more because why not watch 1080p if im able? So sorry for such a huge block of text but i had to say Crunchyroll is my favorite streaming app and i would keep it before Netflix or Hulu, Even with Hulu having my new favorite show One Punch Man. If you made it this far thank you for reading and have a nice day/night.

Hmmm

Hmmmmm

MrChom

Threadromancy much?

Anyway, Crunchyroll be cool but not adding enough shows. Luckily there's plenty of ways to find out where shows are instead (personally use http://because.moe)

Finding myself using Daisuki and Viewster a lot the last few seasons.

hamchan

I have been a subscriber to crunchyroll for about 5 years now. I started pc only, then moved onto ps3/pc, then strictly ps4, now im ps4 and pc. I have had occasional hiccups in the streaming service but i have had far fewer problems with CR than with Hulu. While Netflix seems to be the best at playing even when my internet is crap, Crunchyroll is my favorite and most used streaming service of all time. 2 and a Half years ago i only had 5 MB a second internet which was the lowest possible speed possible with my isp, remember i was paying for up to 5 MB i usually only got around 3.5 on speed tests, and Crunchyroll only had problems about once every 6 months. I couldn't be happier with the service on my ps4, my internet wouldn't have handled 1080p even if the ps4 app would have had the capabilities. In the last half a year i have had a "slight" increase in income and decided the first thing i would change would be my internet speed. Now i have around 50 MB a second and mostly use Crunchyroll on my laptop and i have never had 1 issue with running 1080p video. I will say i don't notice the difference between the ps4 and the laptop, I use both and only use the laptop more because why not watch 1080p if im able? So sorry for such a huge block of text but i had to say Crunchyroll is my favorite streaming app and i would keep it before Netflix or Hulu, Even with Hulu having my new favorite show One Punch Man. If you made it this far thank you for reading and have a nice day/night.

I picture you waiting a whole year to post this.

Anyways I'm pretty happy with Netflix, Hulu and Crunchyroll these days.

Funimation needs to get a better tablet app and add chromecast support.

Thanks CrunchyRoll PR team, I'll be sure to subscribe right away.

Liseda

Don't believe their statement either about it, people linked pictures of their phpmyadmin(?) and other shit. So I hardly believe it was just a "mod account".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom