• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PC Demo Comes March 1st [Update: OUT - Press Enter To Begin]

Sophia

Stripper13 said:
Didn't notice either really. Maybe a little input lag, though for the record, I am primarily a console gamer.

I kinda wonder how much better it'll look with the Temp AA off. That shit is a huge blow to graphics quality. x_X

But yeah, playing Crysis 1 shows how even an unmodded game looks so much better.

jackdoe

poisonelf said:
Oh come on. I loved Crysis, both for the graphical leap that it was, and for the game itself. Those calling it a 'demo' are mostly console kids crying over the graphics, sorry.
The game is quite excellent. The mediocre graphics of the Crysis 2 MP demo pushed me to try to finish Crysis 1 and it really is picking up. I'm right after the Doctor Rosenthal scene in the dome and the game is becoming extremely exciting. Can't wait for the aliens.

Zzoram

Marrshu said:
I kinda wonder how much better it'll look with the Temp AA off. That shit is a huge blow to graphics quality. x_X

But yeah, playing Crysis 1 shows how even an unmodded game looks so much better.

Why can't people just play Hardcore settings with TAA on and off to compare?

Wow, OUCH, and ugg at those pics. Crysis, I hardly recognize you.

From the German interview posted a while back I thought they had a good system going, one that would exploit each system to a great degree. But I'm having a hard time putting those words against those screens above.

Maybe they should just release the console versions and delay the PC release enough to give it the quality time it needs.

DSN2K

blur is hardly noticable...

Crysis2Demo-2011-03-01-05-47-27-43.jpg

jackdoe said:
The game is quite excellent. The mediocre graphics of the Crysis 2 MP demo pushed me to try to finish Crysis 1 and it really is picking up. I'm right after the Doctor Rosenthal scene in the dome and the game is becoming extremely exciting. Can't wait for the aliens.

Sheeeiiiitt best level of the game is coming up next.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zzoram said:
Why can't people just play Hardcore settings with TAA on and off to compare?

You can't approach this as if Crytek designed the demo rationally.

Crysis pics I took today after playing the Crysis 2 demo. Most settings on very high, 1680x1050, 5770, quad core cpu. Edge AA is on... the one that makes the shrubs less jagged.

The lighting in Crysis 2 is definitely a lot more advanced but everything else is about the same or even inferior (Vaseline filter on C2). Most textures are poor to average in both games.

WLfo6.jpg

KPiaJ.jpg

8bIvQ.jpg

Zzoram said:
Wait, you can't turn off TAA? What the fuck?

You can only choose between resolutions, vsync, and preset graphics options. You get to choose between Gamer, Advanced, or Hardcore. Thats it.

Jin34

Zzoram said:

It says press start at the beginning man, they just copy/pasted the 360 version and slapped on some global presets with vague names.

Sophia

Zzoram said:

Correct, regardless of setting, you can't turn it off. Although I'm kinda surprised that the game is playable at Hardcore 1280x720 on my setup.

Either way, the game looks like a blurry mess with it on.

Jburton

Banned
While it is nice to see crysis coming to consoles, part of me wishes it had not.

At the moment I do not have a gaming rig pc ( soon, hopefully ), but it is nice to know that their is this high end technical platform that rewards those that invest the money on high end components with bleeding edge visual games designed from the ground up for them ... and not shitty console ports.

This current gen took pc gaming into the home with HD and online, something PC gamers have had for years ...... I just don't want this to ruin what is and always will be the true cutting edge in gaming.

Kritz

Banned
If the OT for this game is anything but superfluous slander and a call for arms I will be wildly disappointed.

Exuro

The FOV is just screwing me up. That combined with the giant gun models and blur is making me have a hard time seeing what's going on.

dLMN8R said:
3 million copies of Crysis sold might say otherwise

How many of those sales were on a huge discount, though? I bought Crysis + Warhead for like 14 bucks in some random Steam sale.

I don't even think they care about us anymore.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Technosteve said:
The demo doesn't have lean ;(

Crysis 2 doesn't have real lean. You can do a special context-sensitive corner lean thing with the action button when the game lets you.

Heavy said:
How many of those sales were on a huge discount, though? I bought Crysis + Warhead for like 14 bucks in some random Steam sale.

I don't even think they care about us anymore.

Honestly, I don't mind. Someone else will pick up the mantle for Crytek. Its all good.

DSN2K

I'm going to make an assumption here and say the ploy behind this demo was to show console gamers that their copies of Crysis 2 look exactly the same. reason they have locked Temp AA and forced DX9 on us is further prove of keeping the game in line with the console games.

Shame on Crytek.

Emitan

DSN2K said:
I'm going to make an assumption here and say the ploy behind this demo was to show console gamers that their copies of Crysis 2 look exactly the same. reason they have locked Temp AA and forced DX9 on us is further prove of keeping the game in line with the console games.

Shame on Crytek.
So their plan was to piss off their existing userbase so the new userbase would buy the game for the system they were already planning on?

Demigod Mac

Finally got it working after all the stupid account/registration shenanigans!

* Runs like sweet, hot butter on my 3.3 ghz Xeon / Radeon 5870 on Hardcore at 1920x1200. Looks like 60+ fps. Noticeably better than CE2.0, but yes, Dx9, we'll see how Dx11 goes in retail.

* Game looks excellent but jeez, they really cranked the HDR and bloom lighting through the roof. Like the game is trying to be Unreal Engine 4.0. Hope we can tone that shit down, because it's excessive and the realism suffers as a result.

* It's pretty fun multiplayer action, although it's never going to draw me away from Team Fortress 2. Then again, I don't think anything can at this point.

* I'm not sure if I like the new suit mechanics or not. It does make a bit more sense from a game design perspective, but now, it doesn't play very differently from other 1st person shooters mechanically. It was fun to juggle the suit powers in Crysis 1. Now it feels like a Call of Duty where you can automatically jump high, stealth and run fast.

iam220

DSN2K said:

Or to manage expectations for the PC crowd. "sure you can run it at maximum". Meanwhile the real maximum melts your computer.

Oh please let it be so!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I got to thinking about it and decided to hop on compare medium and very high settings. Results.....

Medium - Don't know wtf happened to the ground texture here as it looks better on the medium shot. Bah.

crysis642011-03-0101-0nns1.png

Very High

crysis642011-03-0101-0iuoi.png

And for a more extreme compare, low to very high.....

Low

crysis642011-03-0101-0uujm.png

Very High

crysis642011-03-0101-0tn6s.png

Bare in mind that I had no AA and the reason I took the low is because that's how the one guy who posted his pics looked like to me. At least it reminded me of Crysis on low.

LovingSteam said:
Honestly, I don't mind. Someone else will pick up the mantle for Crytek. Its all good.

I dunno, I've never played an FPS like Crysis. The open-ended, multiple solution gameplay + suit powers is pretty unique. The only thing that's similar is Far Cry 2. It's also had the best graphics since 2007. Maybe 1 or 2 games since then come close. My point is that it's not gonna be an easy mantle to take.

Hahah, it gets stuck on Creating Account. What a waste of time this download has been. I can't even get to a demo or bot mode where I can walk around.

Red

EviLore said:
Crysis 2 doesn't have real lean. You can do a special context-sensitive corner lean thing with the action button when the game lets you.
I am laughing IRL. There are tears.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Heavy said:
Why do the ground textures look better in the medium settings pic for these two?

anisotropic filtering is turned off when parallax occlusion mapping is turned on.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Heavy said:
Why do the ground textures look better in the medium settings pic for these two?

At least read the post you quoted, dude.

EviLore said:
anisotropic filtering is turned off when parallax occlusion mapping is turned on.

Isn't that on the default settings that you pick? Seems weird to have it initially on, on a lower setting. But then again, I always just used the custom settings tab.

Tain

no lean, no prone, no fun suit modes, no goofy geometry climbing or ledge crawling

stupid-ass shit right here

Biggie

rabhw said:
Pretty disappointed with both the graphics and the performance.

Was getting 38 - 55fps. 1920x1200, hardcore details.

Specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
8gb RAM
6950 x2 CrossfireX (both unlocked to 6970 shaders)..

And this is only with the DX9 renderer? The fuck?

Something is wrong with your system or the game doesn't scale well. I was getting 30-45fps 1920x1200 on hardcore with a lesser system.

Q6600 @ 3ghz
8gb PC3200
5850 OC to 775core 1125mem

Is anyone else having problems creating an account? It's been going for about an hour now...

Edit: I closed it since it seemed to be infinitely creating the account. Hoping it made it and just didn't say so, I opened it up again and now it's saying I'm using invalid characters. I am not...

Emitan

MisterAnderson said:
How do you get stealth XP? It's not like you can kill anyone while stealthed cause when you attack you unstealth.
Kill them when firing from Stealth I think.

Top Bottom