• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - PC modding and tweaking

I didn't even realise I had the particles mod installed until the other day when I shot at a truck. It is quite a lovely mod. Nice OP, glad to see we have a place to discuss C2 mods.

How does one get the C mod working with Maldo and quality mod?

Smokey

Trying to load the Maldo mod and I get this popup:

Steam error - Application load error 5:0000065434

What's up with this?

jujubeads

apparently you cant use fraps in conjunction with SSAA-Tool. anyone figure out a workaround for taking screenshots with this thing running?

Yeah, this. A lot of people using the DX11 reported huge dips when the game made heavy use of particle effects, such as intense gunfights. The easiest way to replicate the drop in performance is, as the config suggest, unload a magazine into a wall or floor. Frames can drop into single digits due to the stupid particle shadows feature, which you cannot toggle off and on in-game.

Thankfully Maldo HD lets you turn it off. Do so and you'll see far more consistent performance during intense fire fights, even with everything else cranked.

im running the game on a GTX 680 overclocked with an Intel i5 2500K and 8GB RAM.. turned on that option shot at the floor and walls, FPS drops from 60ish to high 30's to high 40's

injurai

Banned
So... I really don't want to get this through Origin. Does retail use Origin? Also are there anyways to still get this on steam? Like activating a cd key? Any gaf out there have a steam copy that is gift-able maybe?

bhlaab

Is there a weapon position mod without all the other stuff in the C Mod

So... I really don't want to get this through Origin. Does retail use Origin? Also are there anyways to still get this on steam? Like activating a cd key? Any gaf out there have a steam copy that is gift-able maybe?

Retail is not Origin based. I bought off of amazon DD, and simply downloaded it from there. No Origin.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seeing the C Mod weapon positions and playing Crysis 1 right now really makes me hope that CryTek goes back to that for Crysis 3. The weapons look so much better and it makes the game a lot easier to play with them not being so huge.

injurai

Banned
Even if you did download it off of Origin, I'm pretty sure you don't even need to keep Origin running to play it.

ehh, I know its not the devil people claim it to be. But I don't trust EA after losing previous games I had registered with them.I trust Valve, and feel safe investing in that service, same goes for Gog. Just I would never buy a digital game through origin if I didn't have to.

scitek

ehh, I know its not the devil people claim it to be. But I don't trust EA after losing previous games I had registered with them.I trust Valve, and feel safe investing in that service, same goes for Gog. Just I would never buy a digital game through origin if I didn't have to.

All I do with Origin is use it as a secondary service for registering games I buy elsewhere.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Must be a vram issue. I don't think I saw a decrease in performance with the maldo pack. In fact, I got an fps boost. Maybe due to the better/optimized tesselation it offers especially for amd cards.

I turned up all the sliders man. That's why they exist.

ss_lemonade

I just tried maxing out all the sliders in the maldo config ultility and I really couldn't see much difference. Still see some popup here and there.

Also after trying the particle mod, I think it looks nice but it comes with some weird bugs like black artifacts, clipping etc and some of the particles are just way too exaggerated. Nice for experimenting but I'd rather not have it enabled when playing through the game

-PXG-

I'm going to echo EatChildren's sentiments.

Maldo is a fucking god among men.

I did get this really annoying HUD flickering though :/

Thinking about picking up this game on Amazon DD. Is the multiplayer still alive?

Edit: Nevermind. Bought it anyway. Beat it once on Xbox, but just recently built a desktop. Time for some eye candy!

Thanks for posting this thread, the Maldo mod is very awesome and it even helped me with my performance! I'm on a 6850 OC'ed and while I was able to finish the game just fine the game didn't ran as well as I hoped on almost max settings with 1080p. Now with the mod installed I was able to deactivate effects I don't care about like tessellation and shadow blur and the game runs super smooth with everything else maxed out and the better textures from the mod!

I am aware that I most likely could have done it with .ini tweaks manually as the mod doesn't do it any differently but it also provides these better textures and a easy to use config utility so I'm just pleased. :D

One mod I would wish for is a female suit voice as the male one sounds damn annoying to me personally but you can't have everything and I really feel like playing through Crysis 2 again, especially with the particle mod I want to try out too.

I wasn't aware that Crysis 2 could be a good-looking game.

Thanks OP, I'll be sure to check this out when I get home.

As far as vertical FoV goes, I like an FoV of 90 in TF2 (i'm guessing that's horizontal FoV) what does that translate to for vertical FoV?

I wasn't aware that Crysis 2 could be a good-looking game.

Thanks OP, I'll be sure to check this out when I get home.

As far as vertical FoV goes, I like an FoV of 90 in TF2 (i'm guessing that's horizontal FoV) what does that translate to for vertical FoV?

I used this FoV calculator back in the Battlefield Bad Company 2 days but I assume the same formula will apply for Crysis 2 as well: http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Should I disable Crytek's HR texture pack if I'm using Maldo's mod? Also, what's a good compromise gfx/performance for the LOD slider, is the image posted in the OP a good starting point for all the sliders/checkboxes? Last but not least, does using the C-mod for the weapons cause a decrease in framerate?

Thanks! :)

XOMTOR

Great thread Scitek, can always count on your for some good C2 tweaking goodness. I may have a few tweaks I can throw in later to keep things rolling.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if you guys can help. Crysis 2 is running really slow and I can't seem to solve it. It's like a slide show.

PC spec:-

Intel core 2 duo @ 3ghz, 4 gig memory @ 800Mhz, GTX 460 (overclocked) with latest nVidia beta drivers.
Win 7 64bit.

Other games run great but Crysis2 runs about 5fps (1080p) DX11 mode. Slightly better in DX9 mode. I've tried deleting and redownloading from Steam but it's still the same.

Any ideas. Is there a secret cache file I need to delete or something.

scitek

That doesn't worth for all configurations though.

Good to know. If I've screwed anything up or you have anything to add, please do!

Should I disable Crytek's HR texture pack if I'm using Maldo's mod? Also, what's a good compromise gfx/performance for the LOD slider, is the image posted in the OP a good starting point for all the sliders/checkboxes? Last but not least, does using the C-mod for the weapons cause a decrease in framerate?

Thanks! :)

First, no, both texture packs can be used simultaneously! :) Second, click the Recommended Settings for the best performance with the sliders. The pic I posted in the OP are the settings I use, except when I'm not playing with the SSAA Tool I turn the antialiasing slider all the way to the right.

Great thread Scitek, can always count on your for some good C2 tweaking goodness. I may have a few tweaks I can throw in later to keep things rolling.

That'd be great!

I wonder if you guys can help. Crysis 2 is running really slow and I can't seem to solve it. It's like a slide show.

PC spec:-

Intel core 2 duo @ 3ghz, 4 gig memory @ 800Mhz, GTX 460 (overclocked) with latest nVidia beta drivers.
Win 7 64bit.

Other games run great but Crysis2 runs about 5fps (1080p) DX11 mode. Slightly better in DX9 mode. I've tried deleting and redownloading from Steam but it's still the same.

Any ideas. Is there a secret cache file I need to delete or something.

I honestly don't know, but it shouldn't be running like that, for sure. The only cache I've seen people recommend deleting is the shaders folder at "C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\Crysis2\Shaders". It'll rebuild itself when you load a level again, and it'll look funky for a minute while it does it. I don't know if that'd help, though. :\

Do I have to start the game with the MaLDoHD Config Utility or can I just use the regular desktop icon? Every time I start the game with the config utility and try to resume the campaign, some errors pops up asking me to abort, retry, or ignore. All options just cause the game to crash.

I'm also having trouble running everything on ultra. Is my PC just not up to the task? AMD FX-4100 Quad Core Processor 3.61 GHz, 8gb memory @ 1600Mhz, Radeon HD 6950. I have the latest drivers and 64-bit Win 7.

error.png

Edit: Got it working. Had to restart level. Game runs so much better with this mod running.

-PXG-

Do I have to start the game with the MaLDoHD Config Utility or can I just use the regular desktop icon? Every time I start the game with the config utility and try to resume the campaign, some errors pops up asking me to abort, retry, or ignore. All options just cause the game to crash.

I'm also having trouble running everything on ultra. Is my PC just not up to the task? AMD FX-4100 Quad Core Processor 3.61 GHz, 8gb memory @ 1600Mhz, Radeon HD 6950. I have the latest drivers and 64-bit Win 7.

Use the utility. If I just use the desktop icon, Origin or the executable, it boots up vanilla.

For someone who cares about performance most, is it still worth installing dx11 and high res textures and all this extra stuff? I never expected to play even vanilla on the highest settings since I'd rather have a stable 60fps than a prettier picture.

and is default FOV really 65?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I honestly don't know, but it shouldn't be running like that, for sure. The only cache I've seen people recommend deleting is the shaders folder at "C:\Users\[username]\Saved Games\Crysis2\Shaders". It'll rebuild itself when you load a level again, and it'll look funky for a minute while it does it. I don't know if that'd help, though. :\

Thanks. It worked. :)

XOMTOR

I just tried maxing out all the sliders in the maldo config ultility and I really couldn't see much difference. Still see some popup here and there.

Also after trying the particle mod, I think it looks nice but it comes with some weird bugs like black artifacts, clipping etc and some of the particles are just way too exaggerated. Nice for experimenting but I'd rather not have it enabled when playing through the game

If you're getting pop-ups, play around with the LOD values. Try these:

e_LodRatio = xx // Object LOD ratio for no pop-ups/visible LOD changes, default ultra/high is 20. Large effect on FPS. (Higher is better)
e_LodMin = 0 // Min LOD for objects
e_ViewDistRatioDetail = 200 // View distance ratio for detail objects
e_ViewDistRatio = xxx // View distance ratio for objects like cans bottles etc default is 100

Now the deal with CVARs in Crysis 2 is that most of them were locked after patch 1.9 but thanks to Maldo, we can tweak them using an alternate method when you have his mod installed. In the folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2\Mods\MaLDoHDv3\gamecrysis2\Config\CVarGroups

Here you'll see a bunch of configs which are the default ones the game uses. We can tweak these and the game will show the effects. For the above LOD tweaks, you would need to open
sys_spec_objectdetail.cfg (make a backup first just in case). Make the changes to the section directly under the heading "default for this CVAR group".

BTW, anyone who's looking for more/better particles and doesn't want to use the mod, try these in the sys_spec_particles.cfg:

e_ParticlesQuality = 4
e_ParticlesMaxScreenFill = 8192 // default max is 160
e_ParticlesMinDrawPixels = 0.2 // default max is 1 (less is better)
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = 2
r_UseParticlesHalfRes = 0
e_ParticlesForceAnimBlend = 1
e_ParticlesForceGI = 1
e_ParticlesMotionBlur = 1
e_ParticlesForceDiffCM = 1
e_ParticlesForceSoftParticles = 1
e_particleslod = 1
e_ParticlesEmitterPoolSize = 16384 // previously 8192
e_ParticlesPoolSize = 32768 // previously 16384
e_ParticlesMaxDrawScreen = 4

These won't replicate the particle mod but they will max out the number of particles on screen, their quality and visible distance. A good area to test this is the church area in the Gate Keepers level.

I downloaded the Maldo Mod.

going to play with that, and see the fruits of that endeavor.

Is the SLI support better now?

For SLI, I'm getting almost perfect scaling using the compat flag: 0x02506405. I believe that you need to disable r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV or you'll get flickering. It's located in sys_spec_postprocessing.cfg; just place a semi-colon in front of the line as opposed to setting it to zero.

Does the Maldo HD config require the texture pack? I tried installing it and I get a big error message window after I choose the file path. Do I really need the DX11 patch, the official HD texture pack, Maldo's texture pack, AND this?

Can somebody walk me through how to use the SSAA tool. Even on the highest AA settings using Maldos config I have a crazy amount of aliasing that wasn't there before.

ss_lemonade

Is there a way to use the original crysis edgeaa? I honestly liked that compared the the blur induced crysis 2 post processing aa. Also it seems that disabling this also removes effects like rain for me

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it possible to have multiple mods running simultaneously? I'd like to use the MaldoHD mod with the enchanced particles and C Mod mods.

KKRT00

Is it possible to have multiple mods running simultaneously? I'd like to use the MaldoHD mod with the enchanced particles and C Mod mods.

I've added enhanced particles .pak to Mods\MaLDoHDv3\gamecrysis2 directory and it worked, dunno if it will work with C Mod though.

I'll play around with it. Cheers.
I copied the C Mod files inside MaldoHD's mod. It worked, but many sounds were absent. There were no reloading sounds or suit sounds. Game felt very quiet. I reinstalled MaldoHD's mod and then just dropped C mod in the mod folder, but not within MaldoHD's mod.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I copied the C Mod files inside MaldoHD's mod. It worked, but many sounds were absent. There were no reloading sounds or suit sounds. Game felt very quiet. I reinstalled MaldoHD's mod and then just dropped C mod in the mod folder, but not within MaldoHD's mod.

Ah, boo-urns. I tried throwing C Mod's gamecrysis2 folder into a pak file and putting that in MaldoHD's mod folder, but it didn't seem to work. Oh well.

XOMTOR

Does the Maldo HD config require the texture pack? I tried installing it and I get a big error message window after I choose the file path. Do I really need the DX11 patch, the official HD texture pack, Maldo's texture pack, AND this?

You don't need Crytek's official texture pack but you should have patch 1.9 and the DX11 Ultra upgrade.

Top Bottom